NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wx Banter Thread 2.0

+52
WeatherBob
essexcountypete
NjWeatherGuy
moleson
lisalamb
lglickman1
GreyBeard
bloc1357
crippo84
SnowForest
Carter bk
jake732
sabamfa
SENJsnowman
MattyICE
SoulSingMG
hyde345
billg315
cooladi
Wheezer
Radz
skinsfan1177
Dunnzoo
Scullybutcher
Dtone
jimv45
CPcantmeasuresnow
RJB8525
Mathgod55
EnyapWeather
Quietace
jwalsh
brownie
Vinnydula
Grselig
mikeypizano
HectorO
gigs68
Math23x7
jmanley32
track17
rb924119
Frank_Wx
frank 638
sroc4
aiannone
weatherwatchermom
algae888
dkodgis
docstox12
amugs
nutleyblizzard
56 posters

Page 39 of 41 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Go down

Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:02 pm

With the storm now over and a lot of the totals in I was wondering if anyone could explain all of the oddities involving accumulations.

On a small scale I received 8 inches where I am and one town away in Monroe received 13 inches as per a NWS trained spotter. I actually drove the 5 miles there this morning on some errands and you could definitely see the difference. That can always be explained away to banding or a two or 300 foot difference in elevation whatever.

What can't be explained is why a town like Middletown in NW Orange County would receive 2 inches and on the same elevation to their East and West 5 miles in both directions they received over a foot. The temperatures were the same and the precipitation amounts were the same in all locations.

The biggest discrepancy of course is at 1400 foot elevation at Syos parents place in the foothills of the Catskills they only received 2 inches of snow while places in lower elevations within 10 miles in any direction received almost 2 feet with no dry slotting involved and the same precip amounts.

There seemed to be one little area skinny as it was although quite long, that kept stationary for hours at some part of the mid-levels of the atmosphere that had it raining even though temperatures were below or near freezing at the surface in those areas that got screwed. I've been following weather a long time and I've never seen anything like it. I leave the explanations to the experts if they have any.

CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by WeatherBob Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:07 pm

CP - if you remember on the NAM , it showed that thin sliver of above 0 temps over NNJ for a period of time, I guess that sliver ended up farther north than the model showed. I guess the question is why? I think we need a higher power to answer that, RB, can you take a stab at that?

WeatherBob
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:10 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:With the storm now over and a lot of the totals in I was wondering if anyone could explain all of the oddities involving accumulations.

On a small scale I received 8 inches where I am and one town away in Monroe received 13 inches as per a NWS trained spotter. I actually drove the 5 miles there this morning on some errands and you could definitely see the difference. That can always be explained away to banding or a two or 300 foot difference in elevation whatever.

What can't be explained is why a town like Middletown in NW Orange County would receive 2 inches and on the same elevation to their East and West 5 miles in both directions they received over a foot. The temperatures were the same and the precipitation amounts were the same in all locations.

The biggest discrepancy of course is at 1400 foot elevation at Syos parents place in the foothills of the Catskills they only received 2 inches of snow while places in lower elevations within 10 miles in any direction received almost 2 feet with no dry slotting involved and the same precip amounts.

There seemed to be one little area skinny as it was although quite long, that kept stationary for hours at some part of the mid-levels of the atmosphere that had it raining even though temperatures were below or near freezing at the surface in those areas that got screwed. I've been following weather a long time and I've never seen anything like it. I leave the explanations to the experts if they have any.

In Wayne when driving one side of town was white and the other lawn.  Very strange   But we are a town of the hill and valley.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:12 pm

Sickness. When i was i school in Pittsburgh. 1993 i think. 40 below with wind chill. I walked 1.5 miles to class. Dumb. Yes. But i has to do it. And i would do it again.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:16 pm

CP. i think we need to implement some insurance policies so it’s cold for mid week. Freeze a book that has a picture of sunny and warm Ny NJ PA or CT on it.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by WeatherBob Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:17 pm

Grs - so many good memories that I would not change a thing!
WeatherBob
WeatherBob
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:18 pm

Quietace wrote:
Math23x7 wrote:
Quietace wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:Since February with all the hype and now with this latest mega-bust for most of the board this winter is the worst period. I’m done
Hey, in my last winter in which I will see snow, It is currently raining, at 33 degrees, and the 4' snow pack has melted the past two weeks to nothing......in NH. So it can't be that bad...maybe....

Well Ryan, about three years ago, when you mentioned you would be attending Plymouth in NH, I was a bit puzzled.  The reason I say that is because at the meetup at Mustang Harry's on 1/10/15, you mentioned that come spring, you just would like the warmer weather.  Given that the 2014-15 winter got off to a slow start, I said in frustration that with seemingly not much snow to come, in April we would have sustained 40s and drizzle, much to the discomfort of docstox12.  

Of course, that was when Frank showed us images of the EPS in the long range saying the time period around the 24th looked encouraging and sure enough, that's when things changed.

Anyway, I digress.  Up in New Hampshire, the chilly weather in the spring is of course more frequent than in the NYC/Jersey Shore, especially with those backdoor cold fronts.  Now, since you are planning to go to Florida, you will obviously get much warmer weather in April.  Now, if we get a super negative Arctic Oscillation to come in next winter, you could still get in on a bit of snow. Wink
If I remember correctly (you will remember with much greater accuracy than I would), I thought I explained when we were at Mustang Harry's I am the type of person that enjoys all seasons Mike. So in the winter, I desire it to be cold and snowy. In the spring I desire it to be well, a little warmer. In the summer, I could have sunny skies and 90 degrees everyday...and so on for Fall. However, down in my lovely hometown, we do average about 20" of snow a year. Thus, when I visited Plymouth during their wonderful 2014 snow season, I immediately jumped at the opportunity to try and be present for a season like that......to no avail(though I will say I certifiably made the right choice attending here over other schools I was looking at at the time).... Anyway, my switching of climates has to do more with my desired specialization and departmental resources rather than my desire for warmer weather. Will I go without snow for four-five years as I get my degrees, maybe....but at least I can still travel up north to see some...

Ryan, I knew that was the reason for the places would would be attending. But I do wonder if you will feel snow deprived while the other members of the forum cash in on all the Godzillas while you're in very different weather. Though I will say, late this coming December, I may be going to Disney World and I would be ticked off if during the planned trip, a Godzilla struck NYC.

By the way, do you have any preliminary summer plans?

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:51 pm

Math23x7 wrote:
Quietace wrote:
Math23x7 wrote:
Quietace wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:Since February with all the hype and now with this latest mega-bust for most of the board this winter is the worst period. I’m done
Hey, in my last winter in which I will see snow, It is currently raining, at 33 degrees, and the 4' snow pack has melted the past two weeks to nothing......in NH. So it can't be that bad...maybe....

Well Ryan, about three years ago, when you mentioned you would be attending Plymouth in NH, I was a bit puzzled.  The reason I say that is because at the meetup at Mustang Harry's on 1/10/15, you mentioned that come spring, you just would like the warmer weather.  Given that the 2014-15 winter got off to a slow start, I said in frustration that with seemingly not much snow to come, in April we would have sustained 40s and drizzle, much to the discomfort of docstox12.  

Of course, that was when Frank showed us images of the EPS in the long range saying the time period around the 24th looked encouraging and sure enough, that's when things changed.

Anyway, I digress.  Up in New Hampshire, the chilly weather in the spring is of course more frequent than in the NYC/Jersey Shore, especially with those backdoor cold fronts.  Now, since you are planning to go to Florida, you will obviously get much warmer weather in April.  Now, if we get a super negative Arctic Oscillation to come in next winter, you could still get in on a bit of snow. Wink
If I remember correctly (you will remember with much greater accuracy than I would), I thought I explained when we were at Mustang Harry's I am the type of person that enjoys all seasons Mike. So in the winter, I desire it to be cold and snowy. In the spring I desire it to be well, a little warmer. In the summer, I could have sunny skies and 90 degrees everyday...and so on for Fall. However, down in my lovely hometown, we do average about 20" of snow a year. Thus, when I visited Plymouth during their wonderful 2014 snow season, I immediately jumped at the opportunity to try and be present for a season like that......to no avail(though I will say I certifiably made the right choice attending here over other schools I was looking at at the time).... Anyway, my switching of climates has to do more with my desired specialization and departmental resources rather than my desire for warmer weather. Will I go without snow for four-five years as I get my degrees, maybe....but at least I can still travel up north to see some...

Ryan, I knew that was the reason for the places would would be attending.  But I do wonder if you will feel snow deprived while the other members of the forum cash in on all the Godzillas while you're in very different weather.  Though I will say, late this coming December, I may be going to Disney World and I would be ticked off if during the planned trip, a Godzilla struck NYC.

My summer plans include working (hopefully at the beach this summer) until I leave in early August...once I leave I will not be coming back for a while.....
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:13 pm

Quietace wrote:
Math23x7 wrote:
Quietace wrote:
Math23x7 wrote:
Quietace wrote:

Ryan, I knew that was the reason for the places would would be attending.  But I do wonder if you will feel snow deprived while the other members of the forum cash in on all the Godzillas while you're in very different weather.  Though I will say, late this coming December, I may be going to Disney World and I would be ticked off if during the planned trip, a Godzilla struck NYC.

My summer plans include working (hopefully at the beach this summer) until I leave in early August...once I leave I will not be coming back for a while.....

Sad

I hope there is a way to have a meetup before then.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:19 pm

Here is my video from the noreaster at the Hastings on Hudson water front, never seen the river so crazy. Turn volumn down the wind is loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeD8pE3oOco
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:30 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:With the storm now over and a lot of the totals in I was wondering if anyone could explain all of the oddities involving accumulations.

CP, in 57 years of observing winter snowstorms I have never seen that happen, one area getting rain while a few miles away gets 9 inches of snow.We have seen some weird things the past few years but this one takes the cake.Luckily for you and I were were not in the scroo zones.

I have to disagree with the trained spotter from Monroe, at least in my location on the Orange Turnpike.The snow on top of my rain gauge melted with some filtered sun on my back deck and the gauge reads .88 inches, verifying my 9 inches snow measurement.Monroe does have some high areas such as Rye Hill Road, a good 200 feet higher than me.I am in a bit of a valley here.Perhaps the Monroe trained spotter took measurements up there.We had a poster on the board in Stillwater over 1000 feet reporting 11 or 12 inches.That I can agree with.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:48 pm

docstox12 wrote:

CP, in 57 years of observing winter snowstorms I have never seen that happen, one area getting rain while a few miles away gets 9 inches of snow.We have seen some weird things the past few years but this one takes the cake.Luckily for you and I were were not in the scroo zones.

I have to disagree with the trained spotter from Monroe, at least in my location on the Orange Turnpike.The snow on top of my rain gauge melted with some filtered sun on my back deck and the gauge reads .88 inches, verifying my 9 inches snow measurement.Monroe does have some high areas such as Rye Hill Road, a good 200 feet higher than me.I am in a bit of a  valley here.Perhaps the Monroe trained spotter took measurements up there.We had a poster on the board in Stillwater over 1000 feet reporting 11 or 12 inches.That I can agree with.

Doc it made the anti-virga and subsidence storms look normal in comparison. What's next, a tornado during a blizzard? A Tornizzard, sounds like one of those dopey SCI FI channel, made for TV Movies.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by WeatherBob Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:06 pm

CP - that reminds me of the old AJax commercial from 50 years ago or so, The White Tornado!
WeatherBob
WeatherBob
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:44 pm

WeatherBob wrote:CP - that reminds me of the old AJax commercial from 50 years ago or so, The White Tornado!

Bob was that the one that ended with the voice saying "Stronger Than Dirt" which was also the way the Doors song "Touch Me" ended. I never checked to see if the Doors took from the commercial or the commercial borrowed from the Doors.

Boy I really went off subject there.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by WeatherBob Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:51 pm

CP - google it, there is a utube video of it.
WeatherBob
WeatherBob
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by WeatherBob Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:10 pm

CP - there are a couple of them , I like the one with the clowns.  I don’t think “stronger than dirt “ is in them.
WeatherBob
WeatherBob
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:01 am

Coastal flooding in Cape May County NJ. This is looking out my car window at the street from my driveway:
Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 39 754aba10
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:24 am

billg315 wrote:Coastal flooding in Cape May County NJ. This is looking out my car window at the street from my driveway:

oh boy that's not good...is your car and house ok?
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:53 am

weatherwatchermom wrote:
billg315 wrote:Coastal flooding in Cape May County NJ. This is looking out my car window at the street from my driveway:

Yeah the house is elevated so only the garage is vulnerable and the driveway is elevated enough that the water usually doesn’t reach the garage or only a small amount does. Did move my car off the street to the driveway to be safe. High tide just passed so it should be receding soon.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:30 pm

billg315 wrote:
weatherwatchermom wrote:

Yeah the house is elevated so only the garage is vulnerable and the driveway is elevated enough that the water usually doesn’t reach the garage or only a small amount does. Did move my car off the street to the driveway to be safe. High tide just passed so it should be receding soon.

dislike dislike dislike (dislike damage to property so I can't hit the like button). Hope everybody is OK
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:11 pm

We got 8 inches here officially, and if you look outside now, you wouldn't believe that as it looks more like 2 now...
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:06 pm

Mikeyp, where is "here"?
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:12 pm

dkodgis wrote:Mikeyp, where is "here"?

Yatesville, PA
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:40 pm

I surrender.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:39 am

Can't wait for Syo's snow map. The man is a snow mutant. An artist. He knows where its gonna fall. My prediction of course is ice fog with a little of the "mixed bag" for N/NE NJ. Good luck to the rest of you. Hey, if we do get that ice fog on Wed, don't blame me, im the messenger. Also reading about large scale potential for early next week/late weekend. Interesting stuff again. May not happen but fun to track!
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:00 am

Grselig wrote:Can't wait for Syo's snow map.  The man is a snow mutant. An artist.   He knows where its gonna fall.  My prediction of course is ice fog  with a little of the "mixed bag" for N/NE NJ.  Good luck to the rest of you. Hey, if we do get that ice fog on Wed, don't blame me, im the messenger.  Also reading about large scale potential for early next week/late weekend.  Interesting stuff again. May not happen but fun to track!

Very eerie. Reminiscent of the Brian Depalma horror classic "The Fog". This could be Syos ultimate revenge to anyone that mocked the artistry of his snow map. God help us.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=movie+the+fog+1980&fr=yhs-pty-pty_packages&hspart=pty&hsimp=yhs-pty_packages&imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fsupermarcey.files.wordpress.com%2F2016%2F01%2Fthe-fog1.jpg#id=0&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fsupermarcey.files.wordpress.com%2F2016%2F01%2Fthe-fog1.jpg&action=click
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:30 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
Grselig wrote:Can't wait for Syo's snow map.  The man is a snow mutant. An artist.   He knows where its gonna fall.  My prediction of course is ice fog  with a little of the "mixed bag" for N/NE NJ.  Good luck to the rest of you. Hey, if we do get that ice fog on Wed, don't blame me, im the messenger.  Also reading about large scale potential for early next week/late weekend.  Interesting stuff again. May not happen but fun to track!

Very eerie. Reminiscent of the Brian Depalma horror classic "The Fog". This could be Syos ultimate revenge to anyone that mocked the artistry of his snow map. God help us.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=movie+the+fog+1980&fr=yhs-pty-pty_packages&hspart=pty&hsimp=yhs-pty_packages&imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fsupermarcey.files.wordpress.com%2F2016%2F01%2Fthe-fog1.jpg#id=0&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fsupermarcey.files.wordpress.com%2F2016%2F01%2Fthe-fog1.jpg&action=click

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked AH Shocked AHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 41 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum