NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wx Banter Thread 2.0

+52
WeatherBob
essexcountypete
NjWeatherGuy
moleson
lisalamb
lglickman1
GreyBeard
bloc1357
crippo84
SnowForest
Carter bk
jake732
sabamfa
SENJsnowman
MattyICE
SoulSingMG
hyde345
billg315
cooladi
Wheezer
Radz
skinsfan1177
Dunnzoo
Scullybutcher
Dtone
jimv45
CPcantmeasuresnow
RJB8525
Mathgod55
EnyapWeather
Quietace
jwalsh
brownie
Vinnydula
Grselig
mikeypizano
HectorO
gigs68
Math23x7
jmanley32
track17
rb924119
Frank_Wx
frank 638
sroc4
aiannone
weatherwatchermom
algae888
dkodgis
docstox12
amugs
nutleyblizzard
56 posters

Page 38 of 41 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Go down

Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 38 Empty Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by jmanley32 Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:50 pm

TheAresian wrote:Are you suggesting that I "duh" my 81 year old mother? That'll make an interesting conversation the next time a potential snowstorm is talked about.
really? It was a joke, but in all honesty I think foods that wont spoil being this looks to be a bad wind event along the coast and just inland are a smarter thing to provide to her. No mother gets a duh dubbing from me.

jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:52 pm

jmanley32 wrote:
TheAresian wrote:Are you suggesting that I "duh" my 81 year old mother? That'll make an interesting conversation the next time a potential snowstorm is talked about.
really? It was a joke, but in all honesty I think foods that wont spoil being this looks to be a bad wind event along the coast and just inland are a smarter thing to provide to her.  No mother gets a duh dubbing from me.

This one's on me. I typed it out as it sounded in my head forgetting that vocal inflection doesn't show in type. I should have used an emoji or /s to indicate that it was an attempt at humor. I'll be more careful next time. My apologies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:09 am

So my thoughts are, what do the NWS forecasters think about storms like this in the back room. My guess is that they are very capable people, but like many of us, overworked and underpaid and just rushing to get the work done to meet deadlines. I've always been curious to understand how they work behind the scenes.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dtone Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:57 pm

Grselig wrote:So my thoughts are, what do the NWS forecasters think about storms like this in the back room.  My guess is that they are very capable people, but like many of us,  overworked and underpaid and just rushing to get the work done to meet deadlines.  I've always been curious to understand how they work behind the scenes.

From what I've heard they are a federal agency that is usually overworked and understaffed. I suppose that is open to interpretation though. Either way, more funding cuts are planned for the NWS.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/02/12/trump-administration-proposes-8-percent-budget-cut-at-national-weather-service-reduction-in-staff/?utm_term=.b8ba956323a1

Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:16 pm

Since February with all the hype and now with this latest mega-bust for most of the board this winter is the worst period. I’m done

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:24 pm

syosnow94 wrote:Since February with all the hype and now with this latest mega-bust for most of the board this winter is the worst period. I’m done

But you will still paint, yes?
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:27 pm

syosnow94 wrote:Since February with all the hype and now with this latest mega-bust for most of the board this winter is the worst period. I’m done
Hey, in my last winter in which I will see snow, It is currently raining, at 33 degrees, and the 4' snow pack has melted the past two weeks to nothing......in NH. So it can't be that bad...maybe....
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:34 pm

Dtone wrote:
Grselig wrote:So my thoughts are, what do the NWS forecasters think about storms like this in the back room.  My guess is that they are very capable people, but like many of us,  overworked and underpaid and just rushing to get the work done to meet deadlines.  I've always been curious to understand how they work behind the scenes.

From what I've heard they are a federal agency that is usually overworked and understaffed. I suppose that is open to interpretation though. Either way, more funding cuts are planned for the NWS.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/02/12/trump-administration-proposes-8-percent-budget-cut-at-national-weather-service-reduction-in-staff/?utm_term=.b8ba956323a1

Very dangerous
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:44 pm

Quietace wrote:
Hey, in my last winter in which I will see snow, It is currently raining, at 33 degrees, and the 4' snow pack has melted the past two weeks to nothing......in NH. So it can't be that bad...maybe....

Well Ryan, about three years ago, when you mentioned you would be attending Plymouth in NH, I was a bit puzzled. The reason I say that is because at the meetup at Mustang Harry's on 1/10/15, you mentioned that come spring, you just would like the warmer weather. Given that the 2014-15 winter got off to a slow start, I said in frustration that with seemingly not much snow to come, in April we would have sustained 40s and drizzle, much to the discomfort of docstox12.

Of course, that was when Frank showed us images of the EPS in the long range saying the time period around the 24th looked encouraging and sure enough, that's when things changed.

Anyway, I digress. Up in New Hampshire, the chilly weather in the spring is of course more frequent than in the NYC/Jersey Shore, especially with those backdoor cold fronts. Now, since you are planning to go to Florida, you will obviously get much warmer weather in April. Now, if we get a super negative Arctic Oscillation to come in next winter, you could still get in on a bit of snow. Wink

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:24 pm

Syos, you are one of my favorite posters but I have to call B.S!! Lol I have sat here this winter, barely able to scrape together a few inches of snow (my biggest storm was 6” on Jan 4 - and the first 3 hours of that I was dry slotted) while you’ve reported on multiple large accumulation events including one where you and Alex were puking snow with over a FOOT on the ground while I was looking at flurries!!! How can you be this upset with this winter?? If you’re this mad I should be burning down villages somewhere mad with my meager seasonal total! Lol
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:39 pm

Jim needs to go away and come back next winter with a more optomistic tude. He went down hill real fast although he jackpots on a couple of storms and has the last 3 winters. Give me a break. Zoo and I have been a snow hole heaven for some time and the HV gand has been under avg niggle and you bia? Think about a sundent who gets a 98 on a test and complains. I tell them to knock it off and go away. You get what you get and you don't get upset. Learned this in Kindergarten.
A good front end a coule of very timely storms. I am 4 below normal at this time uNess we get some more stikage tonight. 2 more possibilities to go.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:03 pm

billg315 wrote:Syos, you are one of my favorite posters but I have to call B.S!! Lol I have sat here this winter, barely able to scrape together a few inches of snow (my biggest storm was 6” on Jan 4 - and the first 3 hours of that I was dry slotted) while you’ve reported on multiple large accumulation events including one where you and Alex were puking snow with over a FOOT on the ground while I was looking at flurries!!! How can you be this upset with this winter?? If you’re this mad I should be burning down villages somewhere mad with my meager seasonal total! Lol

My frustration stems from all the hype about February on our board including from our very own hype machine extraordinare amugs. February turned out to be May and now I watch what could be a Frankzilla this time of year rain white on us all day.

Yes I’m AN snow but it didn’t stick around. For me a good winter is cold and snow that lasts. Think 2013. This winter had a few events early where I did real well but the snow melted immediately. Not my thing.

Just my opinion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:04 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

But you will still paint, yes?

Yes. I’m going to do a self portrait. A nude and mail it to you

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:06 pm

amugs wrote:Jim needs to go away and come back next winter with a more optomistic tude. He went down hill real fast although he jackpots on a couple of storms and has the last 3 winters. Give me a break. Zoo and I have been a snow hole heaven for some time and the HV gand has been under avg niggle and you bia? Think about a sundent who gets a 98 on a test and complains. I tell them to knock it off and go away. You get what you get and you don't get upset. Learned this  in Kindergarten.
A good front end a coule of  very timely storms. I am 4 below normal at this time uNess we get some more stikage tonight. 2 more possibilities to go.

I’ll go away when I am ready and not any sooner. I am entitled to bitch on this thread so I will.
Jackpot ting the last few years after the previous 35 being snow he’ll while you guys crushed it is justified

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:24 pm

Taaaaake it easy fellas.

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:46 pm

syosnow94 wrote:
billg315 wrote:Syos, you are one of my favorite posters but I have to call B.S!! Lol I have sat here this winter, barely able to scrape together a few inches of snow (my biggest storm was 6” on Jan 4 - and the first 3 hours of that I was dry slotted) while you’ve reported on multiple large accumulation events including one where you and Alex were puking snow with over a FOOT on the ground while I was looking at flurries!!! How can you be this upset with this winter?? If you’re this mad I should be burning down villages somewhere mad with my meager seasonal total! Lol

My frustration stems from all the hype about February on our board including from our very own hype machine extraordinare amugs.  February turned out to be May and now I watch what could be a Frankzilla this time of year rain white on us all day.

Yes I’m AN snow but it didn’t stick around. For me a good winter is cold and snow that lasts. Think 2013. This winter had a few events early where I did real well but the snow melted immediately. Not my thing.

Just my opinion  

Well you are certainly entitled to feel however you want about this winter and this is the right place to do it, but rest assured, while this may not be an ideal winter for you, it could be worse. I think you've made out ok from a least a couple events. This has been a largely disappointing winter for me in the snow department -- but even at that still better than a few I've had in the past. I'm still holding out hope that the next two weeks could bring me the "big one" that will save this winter for me. And if not, well, on to next winter.

I'll leave it to CP to deal with the nude self-portrait. But rest assured if you plan to hang it in the Coconut Lounge during your time as interim chief there, I fear it may cut down on patronage. Or increase. Who knows with that place.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:55 pm

billg315 wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:

My frustration stems from all the hype about February on our board including from our very own hype machine extraordinare amugs.  February turned out to be May and now I watch what could be a Frankzilla this time of year rain white on us all day.

Just my opinion  

Well you are certainly entitled to feel however you want about this winter and this is the right place to do it, but rest assured, while this may not be an ideal winter for you, it could be worse. I think you've made out ok from a least a couple events. This has been a largely disappointing winter for me in the snow department -- but even at that still better than a few I've had in the past. I'm still holding out hope that the next two weeks could bring me the "big one" that will save this winter for me. And if not, well, on to next winter.

I'll leave it to CP to deal with the nude self-portrait. But rest assured if you plan to hang it in the Coconut Lounge during your time as interim chief there, I fear it may cut down on patronage. Or increase. Who knows with that place.

Unless the patrons have magnifying glasses it won’t have much of an effect

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:06 pm

Maybe you could do a whole series of them in a sketchbook so that people can flip through the pages and it will look like you're running.

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:26 pm

syosnow94 wrote:
billg315 wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:

Just my opinion  

Unless the patrons have magnifying glasses it won’t have much of an effect

lol! lol! lol!
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:40 pm

Hype xtradinaire really?? I guess I should give up my day job teaching to persue this career then.
Luv you to Jimbo.
2013 -15 was a great run for winters as was 09-10 and 10-11.
Besides the King 95-96,,03-04 was very good too.

My son at PSU had his bus cancelled to Rockaway due to the weather thank god. The 11am bus from Penn State today to the Rockaway Mall at 6PM is stuck in EPA from last report!! Some spring break LOL!!
The bus company is honoring his tix and running a bus at 11am tomorrow morning to come home. Everything happens for a reason.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:09 pm

Hey, all other banter aside, I would just like to extend a very warm and open welcome from all of us here at NJ Strong to our new members!! These past few days I have seen several new names pop up in the threads, and I know I welcomed some of you personally at the time, but others I missed. So, on behalf of all of us regulars, welcome aboard!!!

Since you're new, you may not know how this forum actually works, but it's quite simple: If you have a question, ask!! Nobody judges anybody for not knowing as much as somebody else, or makes fun of somebody else's opinion on a particular topic as long as we don't know you too well, otherwise, there's chop-busting like there's no tomorrow haha Secondly, please don't EVER be afraid to post your thoughts, concerns, etc., as this is what drives our conversations in addition to questions that are asked. Those of us who are able will always do our absolute best to try and explain things and get you the information you need to know, as we wholeheartedly enjoy helping others to expand their working knowledge of weather and its sensible impacts. And third, HAVE FUN. We are ALL weather nuts here, and we are all afflicted with the thrill and excitement of weather events, be them winter storms and snow like so many of us hold in highest regard, heat waves, severe weather, or tropical weather, so no matter what I promise you will find your niche.

It's great to add to our already wonderful NJ Strong family, and we are looking forward to your added presence and contributions to our forum and discussions!!!! Enjoy!!!

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by WeatherBob Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:55 pm

I would like to add something to what RB said above. We tend to be sick individuals in a sense to “normal” people when it comes to Meteorology. Case in point , when I was like 13, I got up at 6 am for like a year to record the low temperature for the day. There was not a lot of sofistication back in 75. Another case in point, about at the same age I use to climb on top of the roof of my house , right next to the tv antenna, yes tv antenna, no cable then, and watch Thunderstorms roll in. What a nut ! It was just that I was so fascinated with the dynamics of the atmosphere. Hope all the newcomers have fun with us weather nuts, come t think of it, maybe you are just like us Very Happy
WeatherBob
WeatherBob
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:20 am

Math23x7 wrote:
Quietace wrote:

Well Ryan, about three years ago, when you mentioned you would be attending Plymouth in NH, I was a bit puzzled.  The reason I say that is because at the meetup at Mustang Harry's on 1/10/15, you mentioned that come spring, you just would like the warmer weather.  Given that the 2014-15 winter got off to a slow start, I said in frustration that with seemingly not much snow to come, in April we would have sustained 40s and drizzle, much to the discomfort of docstox12.  

Of course, that was when Frank showed us images of the EPS in the long range saying the time period around the 24th looked encouraging and sure enough, that's when things changed.

Anyway, I digress.  Up in New Hampshire, the chilly weather in the spring is of course more frequent than in the NYC/Jersey Shore, especially with those backdoor cold fronts.  Now, since you are planning to go to Florida, you will obviously get much warmer weather in April.  Now, if we get a super negative Arctic Oscillation to come in next winter, you could still get in on a bit of snow. Wink
If I remember correctly (you will remember with much greater accuracy than I would), I thought I explained when we were at Mustang Harry's I am the type of person that enjoys all seasons Mike. So in the winter, I desire it to be cold and snowy. In the spring I desire it to be well, a little warmer. In the summer, I could have sunny skies and 90 degrees everyday...and so on for Fall. However, down in my lovely hometown, we do average about 20" of snow a year. Thus, when I visited Plymouth during their wonderful 2014 snow season, I immediately jumped at the opportunity to try and be present for a season like that......to no avail(though I will say I certifiably made the right choice attending here over other schools I was looking at at the time).... Anyway, my switching of climates has to do more with my desired specialization and departmental resources rather than my desire for warmer weather. Will I go without snow for four-five years as I get my degrees, maybe....but at least I can still travel up north to see some...
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:36 am

After looking at my original map which was posted on page 12 of the original storm thread and was universally mocked for its artistic style........ it verified almost perfectly. I say from now on Syosnow becomes the official map maker for NJstrongweatherforum. Damn I’m good

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:55 am

syosnow94 wrote:After looking at my original map which was posted on page 12 of the original storm thread and was universally mocked for its artistic style........  it verified almost perfectly. I say from now on Syosnow becomes the official map maker for NJstrongweatherforum. Damn I’m good

Jimmy I know you got your coconuts busted yesterday by many, myself included, I never actually gave you any praise for your map. You actually did do a great job with it. It def goes to show that the sun does in fact shine in a dog’s ass every now and then. Lol. In all seriousness great job. I and the rest of us expect it for Wednesday/Thursday as well.

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:02 pm

With the storm now over and a lot of the totals in I was wondering if anyone could explain all of the oddities involving accumulations.

On a small scale I received 8 inches where I am and one town away in Monroe received 13 inches as per a NWS trained spotter. I actually drove the 5 miles there this morning on some errands and you could definitely see the difference. That can always be explained away to banding or a two or 300 foot difference in elevation whatever.

What can't be explained is why a town like Middletown in NW Orange County would receive 2 inches and on the same elevation to their East and West 5 miles in both directions they received over a foot. The temperatures were the same and the precipitation amounts were the same in all locations.

The biggest discrepancy of course is at 1400 foot elevation at Syos parents place in the foothills of the Catskills they only received 2 inches of snow while places in lower elevations within 10 miles in any direction received almost 2 feet with no dry slotting involved and the same precip amounts.

There seemed to be one little area skinny as it was although quite long, that kept stationary for hours at some part of the mid-levels of the atmosphere that had it raining even though temperatures were below or near freezing at the surface in those areas that got screwed. I've been following weather a long time and I've never seen anything like it. I leave the explanations to the experts if they have any.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by WeatherBob Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:07 pm

CP - if you remember on the NAM , it showed that thin sliver of above 0 temps over NNJ for a period of time, I guess that sliver ended up farther north than the model showed. I guess the question is why? I think we need a higher power to answer that, RB, can you take a stab at that?
WeatherBob
WeatherBob
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 41 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum