NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FEB 17th-18th Snow? Sleet? Rain?

+41
Radz
brownie
oldtimer
emokid51783
SkiSeadooJoe
WeatherBob
dsix85
Brookster
weatherwatchermom
Vinnydula
dkodgis
Fededle22
1190ftalt
SnowForest
bobjohnsonforthehall
SENJsnowman
Nyi1058
heehaw453
hyde345
Dtone
SoulSingMG
CPcantmeasuresnow
billg315
frank 638
track17
amugs
RJB8525
essexcountypete
Grselig
docstox12
algae888
Frank_Wx
GreyBeard
NjWeatherGuy
MattyICE
Dunnzoo
nutleyblizzard
Math23x7
aiannone
jmanley32
sroc4
45 posters

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

FEB 17th-18th Snow? Sleet? Rain? - Page 8 Empty Re: FEB 17th-18th Snow? Sleet? Rain?

Post by docstox12 Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:08 am

That's right CP, the negative trajectory.next week's torch burns another week.

docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

FEB 17th-18th Snow? Sleet? Rain? - Page 8 Empty Re: FEB 17th-18th Snow? Sleet? Rain?

Post by Dtone Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:14 am

NWS still holding out with a Watch for southern nyc (Staten Island, Brooklyn, Southern Queens) and southern Nassau & Suffolk. I squeezed into warning criteria.

Sent from Topic'it App

Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:21 am

Made a map. Using a blend here and hunch with the setup. Obv. tossing the GFS though it is still stubborn, my guess is it goes down with the ship it's on.

FEB 17th-18th Snow? Sleet? Rain? - Page 8 2_1710
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:26 am

aiannone wrote:
NjWeatherGuy wrote:I think the GFS is out to lunch here. Fairly strong confidence in a stripe of 4-8" about 10-20mi NW of 95, possibly reaching down to 95 and surrounding areas itself but less confidence to the SE. In that bullseye area to the NW we have the combo of likely a heavy period of precip and cold enough temps down to the surface to support snow tomorrow evening, likely to remain an all snow event for CNJ into E-PA and possibly the northern and western part of LI. However, there I am less confident due to potential mixing issues, but I'd say more likely than not to be a moderate snowfall there, probably 3-6". In short, I'm pretty much in line with where the NWS has it's WSW likely to turn to warnings early tomorrow morning.

While I could be wrong, I challenge whether they will be warnings or advisories. I am leaning more towards the advisory. I know for Upton criteria, Warning is 6” or more in a 12 hour period. While this will be a short duration event and the 12 hour threshold will be used over the 24 hour threshold, I believe 6” is the max accumulation they will predict so confidence in meeting 6” area wide will be low. Advisory criteria is 3” or more in a 12hr period. Much more likely. So my opinion: Area wide advisory for 3-5” with isolated amounts to 6”

Yes you're right they dropped the WSW. Technically the right call bc the criteria is 6-7" in the area if I'm not mistaken. While I believe some areas will get there I don't suppose the chances are high enough/ a large enough area for the NWS to bite. I always dislike when they drop a WSW to a WAA for a very close event to warning criteria, as they've done a couple times this winter. The reason being 6" is far more disruptive than 2-3" which are typical advisory snows. A warning makes people take the event seriously and if it were me I would have it up in the northern areas they had the watch where 6-8" are completely in the realm of possibility and even likelihood.

Edit: Upton posted Warnings, Mt. Holly/Binghamton/St. College going with Advisories only.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:34 am

NjWeatherGuy wrote:Made a map. Using a blend here and hunch with the setup. Obv. tossing the GFS though it is still stubborn, my guess is it goes down with the ship it's on.

Being in Upper Bucks County I like and agree with your map.  BL temps though are a concern to me.  How far up does the warm tongue push?

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:37 am

NjWeatherGuy wrote:
aiannone wrote:
NjWeatherGuy wrote:I think the GFS is out to lunch here. Fairly strong confidence in a stripe of 4-8" about 10-20mi NW of 95, possibly reaching down to 95 and surrounding areas itself but less confidence to the SE. In that bullseye area to the NW we have the combo of likely a heavy period of precip and cold enough temps down to the surface to support snow tomorrow evening, likely to remain an all snow event for CNJ into E-PA and possibly the northern and western part of LI. However, there I am less confident due to potential mixing issues, but I'd say more likely than not to be a moderate snowfall there, probably 3-6". In short, I'm pretty much in line with where the NWS has it's WSW likely to turn to warnings early tomorrow morning.

While I could be wrong, I challenge whether they will be warnings or advisories. I am leaning more towards the advisory. I know for Upton criteria, Warning is 6” or more in a 12 hour period. While this will be a short duration event and the 12 hour threshold will be used over the 24 hour threshold, I believe 6” is the max accumulation they will predict so confidence in meeting 6” area wide will be low. Advisory criteria is 3” or more in a 12hr period. Much more likely. So my opinion: Area wide advisory for 3-5” with isolated amounts to 6”

Yes you're right they dropped the WSW. Technically the right call bc the criteria is 6-7" in the area if I'm not mistaken. While I believe some areas will get there I don't suppose the chances are high enough/ a large enough area for the NWS to bite. I always dislike when they drop a WSW to a WAA for a very close event to warning criteria, as they've done a couple times this winter. The reason being 6" is far more disruptive than 2-3" which are typical advisory snows. A warning makes people take the event seriously and if it were me I would have it up in the northern areas they had the watch where 6-8" are completely in the realm of possibility and even likelihood.

Edit: Upton posted Warnings, Mt. Holly/Binghamton/St. College going with Advisories only.

Upton WSW criteria is 6 inches, in Mt. Holly area it's 5 inches, in Binghamton and Albany it's 7 inches.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:09 am

NjWeatherGuy wrote:Made a map. Using a blend here and hunch with the setup. Obv. tossing the GFS though it is still stubborn, my guess is it goes down with the ship it's on.

I actually like your map. You take the topography of the north shore of LI into consideration. It’s one of the only maps I’ve seen people do this with.  Nice job. And you put me in the highest category while only giving Scott less than an inch. Double nice Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyi1058 Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:13 am

What the heck is going on! Even the tv Mets don’t know .one I just saw said rain for LI , yet showed another model that has me in 2-5 inches .

Nyi1058

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:15 am

One thing to consider maybe. It was supposed to get down into the mid 20s last night but I fell 4 degrees short in my back yard. It’s currently 31 and sunny. Let’s hope temps don’t get too high because we are skating a very fine line here. If temps bust 3-4 degrees high with this storm like they are now we rain.

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:29 am

NJ TOM great map there.
Thanks for posting and adding to the convoy here.
GFS us abysmal with these marginal thermal profile set ups.
Kudos to Upton staying the course since yesterday overall.
We see what happens but I shall this again this is a nine esque type storm that reminds me of the 70's and 80's to a degree where N&W of NYC saw the heaviest snows while S &E did not.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:58 am

syosnow94 wrote:One thing to consider maybe.  It was supposed to get down into the mid 20s last night but I fell 4 degrees short in my back yard.  It’s currently 31 and sunny.  Let’s hope temps don’t get too high because we are skating a very fine line here.  If temps bust 3-4 degrees high with this storm like they are now we rain.

Thanks for the map compliment btw, much obliged. But overall similar here, forecast mid 20s but my therm says we only got to 28-29, I'm not overly concerned. I think it will be a tight gradient in some areas however (what else is new...) with areas getting mostly rain the whole storm and areas just miles to the NW all snow with several inches more. I'm still liking 95 as this general area and the LIE in the western half of LI as the general battle line. I'm not seeing this as a storm in which the line shifts a lot, where it sets up early on will make or break the forecast.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:00 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
NjWeatherGuy wrote:
aiannone wrote:

Upton WSW criteria is 6 inches, in Mt. Holly area it's 5 inches, in Binghamton and Albany it's 7 inches.

In that case I would have definitely kept the WSW. I thought it was more for some reason, those numbers are easily achievable and likely to be surpassed in many areas IMO north of 78.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:08 am

12z NAM looking good!

FEB 17th-18th Snow? Sleet? Rain? - Page 8 12z2_110
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:13 am

What a tough forecast here specifically for LI. Have many people relying on my forecast for plowing purposes and I having to use the LIE as a dividing line always scares me. LI is so small that if the r/s line is 5mi more north this will be more of a rain event and they won’t have anything to plow lol. I trust the NWS and they usually go warmer for LI so their warning is concerning. My forecast for the island is 2-4” island wide with isolated 5” amounts on the north shore of the western part of the island. The twin forks 1-2” isolated 3” on the north fork.

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:15 am

And as I write that the 12z NAM Is mostly rain for LI lmao. Who knows. Going to be a nowcast. Much easier for y’all NW

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:19 am

HRRR likes the NWS. Mirror image lol
FEB 17th-18th Snow? Sleet? Rain? - Page 8 Caf0ba10

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:48 am

One of my concerns on this that I mentioned yesterday in terms of trying to nail down accumulation amounts remains ground temps. This may not be an issue further nort and west of me, but in my area it is 33* and sunny going up to 40*. Hourly forecasts never show the temp getting below 32* during the snow (or just barely) and this follows several days of 50-plus highs. So I do think it could snow for awhile at the outset with no stickage. Now if I do fall in the all snow zone that might not be as big a deal because it only costs me an inch or two, but if I combine that with any mixing of rain it will have a bigger impact on final total. At least most of this is after dark so solar heating of the ground won’t be a factor.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:50 am

I'm wondering if we are going to see 10:1 ratios with such marginal temps... figuring we might just see 8:1 so those snow map totals will be lower by a smidge. 5" for me, I'll take it

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:02 am

latest HRRR upped amounts a bit... It's gonna THUMP later!

FEB 17th-18th Snow? Sleet? Rain? - Page 8 F4dc3510
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:21 am

SoulSingMG wrote:latest HRRR upped amounts a bit... It's gonna THUMP later!

Wow that would make the whole board happy

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:30 am

The 3k NAM falls pretty well in line with my thinking. Tough forecast for LI and the Jersey Shore, very tight gradient. 3-6" NW LI and 1-3" decreasing south and east. As the storm nears in the coming hours I will look at the HRRR more, right now its kind of still in the waffling range.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:37 am

aiannone wrote:
SoulSingMG wrote:latest HRRR upped amounts a bit... It's gonna THUMP later!

Wow that would make the whole board happy

This is the first positive sign out yet of the short range models for the Jersey Shore...I'm still expecting closer to 0" than 1-2", but we'll see!

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:38 am

The high res RGEM has a brutal cutoff in western Suffolk and the NJ shore. 4" NW and 0 about 5-10mi east. That reminds me of the Boxing Day Bust (Yes I'm still salty about that if anyone is wondering lol)
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:46 am

Highway signs up and running on LI
FEB 17th-18th Snow? Sleet? Rain? - Page 8 A7071610

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:00 am

aiannone wrote:Highway signs up and running on LI
FEB 17th-18th Snow? Sleet? Rain? - Page 8 A7071610

Good call by Upton here. I still think Mt. Holly ought to raise warnings for the northern half of the state to be on the safe side, if they don't by this afternoon they probably will just stick with the advisory.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:00 am

Currently 33 degrees with a dew point of 16 very low-level dry air which should help with wet-bulb temperatures. Got down to 26 last night however my ground is not Frozen. We may lose initially to melting but a solid 3 to 6 in look likely from the city north and west obviously Long Island and Jersey Shore still up in the air
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:39 am

Dynamic cooling will be the key. Recall the last “surprise snowstorm on LI”. Temps were in the 40s all day, 37 on the onset and not much was accumulating. It occurred at night as well. As precip picked up temps dropped to 32 and snow began to stick. No high to the north either. Than as the precip became even heavier temps dropped all the way down to 26 degrees. Immediately after the precip ended temps rebounded to 38. Don’t underestimate dynamic cooling when upper levels are cold

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum