Pain in the Butt March 7th Godzilla: Observations

Page 42 of 42 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42

Go down

Re: Pain in the Butt March 7th Godzilla: Observations

Post by billg315 on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:35 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:Ok. Serious question. CP joking notwithstanding. I got 1.5” overnight that melted. Then 6.5” this afternoon that compacted down to 4.5”. Now since ten pm it’s ripoingbout and I’m approaching another 1”.  I’ve been on the forum long enough to know the deal but my question is.......

Do I really report a storm total of 9” even though when we wake up in the morning it’ll be all compacted down to 4?

Serious Answer Syos because I just finished this debate with some people on another forum a couple of months ago.

The answer right now and I don't agree with this but the rules were changed in 2013, is whatever your maximum depth was for the day is what you report as your snow total. My argument was the same as yours so if I cleared my snowboard every six hours and totaled up say 10 inches of snow but my maximum depth was eight for the day then that's my total and yes that is the total.

That's another reason I was telling everyone earlier you have to measure tonight before compression starts because that maximum depth is your total for the day. It used to be clear the snowboard clean every six hours and then add up but no longer the case.

This seems absurd to me. So essentially Syos is to ignore 1.5” of snow that he woke up to and pretend it was never there, when he measures the 6.5 later. To illustrate the absurdity, a hypothetical storm approaches (let’s say from my southwest) - front-end overrunning snow starts at midnight. I wake up to 5” of snow and shovel out my car and struggle to work through snow covered roads. it then changes to sleet and rain and the rain washes away the snow, but as the storm pulls slowly away I end up on the back-side in the CCB, and it changes back to heavy snow, leaving another 6”. I go home and have to shovel that. It stops and an inch melts/compacts before they measure at 11 pm. So the NWS is telling me that a storm where I shoveled 11” of snow was really only a 5” storm. That’s crazy. Lol.
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:49 am

ok ..I measured on grass surface 4 inches last night...but I also had 1.24 inches of rain measured yest as well before it changed over..I count both right..
weatherwatchermom
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:51 am

Frank_Wx wrote:
weatherwatchermom wrote:Just heard on news there are about 500 cars stuck on route 280

Heard the same. When the storm got going it REALLY got going. It was a wall of white.

This was a very tough forecast. People who saw 12+ inches was over a narrow area from NJ to NY. I busted PA and NYC Metro, though also hard to tell with all the melting and compaction that took place. Maybe the next March snowstorm we'll have better luck

I think you did a great job..that was a wild storm to be sure....going to pm you
weatherwatchermom
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:56 am

weatherwatchermom wrote:ok ..I measured on grass surface 4 inches last night...but I also had 1.24 inches of rain measured yest as well before it changed over..I count both right..

That's correct Mom.
I measured 2x yesterday totalling up to 11" on my snow board cleaning it off after my 1st measurement at 3 pm of 4.5" with my CP adjusted ruler LOL, called shorty.
But at the end of the storm I had 9" of white gold on my grass well dirt sin e I put down 4 yards in the late fall. This is what is absurd to me as well that I should report it as 9"?? Meanwhile River Vale comes in at 6" but 4 towns around us come in at 8,9,9.5 and 9" with is he measuring under a tree???

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 42 of 42 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42