NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pain in the Butt March 7th Godzilla: Observations

+75
dad4twoboys
deadrabbit79
dasmarque
New Yorker 234
brownie
iloveweather
bluebythec
Artechmetals
Angela0621
lglickman
deblanka
snowday111
sabamfa
jake732
Carter bk
JackShephard
Smarnold
Blaze
essexcountypete
dparag01
lglickman1
crippo84
ak926
bloc1357
Dunnzoo
SkiSeadooJoe
Joe Snow
bobjohnsonforthehall
2004blackwrx
Radz
DAYBLAZER
devsman
Grselig
Taffy
dkodgis
gigs68
RJB8525
emokid51783
rb924119
docstox12
Sparky Sparticles
sroc4
SENJsnowman
dsix85
Sanchize06
algae888
mmanisca
skinsfan1177
nutleyblizzard
heehaw453
frank 638
Scullybutcher
snowlover78
Math23x7
NettWx
weatherwatchermom
freezerburn
dsvinos
Fededle22
jimv45
adamfitz1969
Dtone
Vinnydula
SoulSingMG
amugs
CPcantmeasuresnow
WeatherBob
billg315
oldtimer
jmanley32
Smittyaj623
hurrysundown23
mikeypizano
aiannone
Frank_Wx
79 posters

Page 42 of 42 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42

Go down

Pain in the Butt March 7th Godzilla: Observations - Page 42 Empty Re: Pain in the Butt March 7th Godzilla: Observations

Post by docstox12 Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:05 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:CP. I had 6.5” when I shoveled. It hen compacted down to about 4.5”. Now I’ve added almost 1.5” on top of that to bring me up to 6” again. However according to what you just posted because it’s still less than what I had st 5 pm because of compaction this lady 1.5” doesn’t count. This doesn’t make sense

It doesn't make sense, It's assinine but its NOAA and that's their stated rule since 2013. I argued with several people there about it to no avail. DUMB.

I doubt many stations even adhere to it.

Yes, the same NOAA that accepted Central Park measurements before you got on their case and Mikey double checks by measuring.I agree with Jimmy that the total snow that fell that day, regardless of compaction, is the total you got out of the sky by the grace of God.As CP says, you keep clearing the snowboard and disregard any compaction.To argue otherwise is ridiculous.

docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Pain in the Butt March 7th Godzilla: Observations - Page 42 Empty Re: Pain in the Butt March 7th Godzilla: Observations

Post by aiannone Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:08 am

Got another inch last night and .75” from the other morning brining my total to 9.55”

aiannone
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:35 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:Ok. Serious question. CP joking notwithstanding. I got 1.5” overnight that melted. Then 6.5” this afternoon that compacted down to 4.5”. Now since ten pm it’s ripoingbout and I’m approaching another 1”.  I’ve been on the forum long enough to know the deal but my question is.......

Do I really report a storm total of 9” even though when we wake up in the morning it’ll be all compacted down to 4?

Serious Answer Syos because I just finished this debate with some people on another forum a couple of months ago.

The answer right now and I don't agree with this but the rules were changed in 2013, is whatever your maximum depth was for the day is what you report as your snow total. My argument was the same as yours so if I cleared my snowboard every six hours and totaled up say 10 inches of snow but my maximum depth was eight for the day then that's my total and yes that is the total.

That's another reason I was telling everyone earlier you have to measure tonight before compression starts because that maximum depth is your total for the day. It used to be clear the snowboard clean every six hours and then add up but no longer the case.

This seems absurd to me. So essentially Syos is to ignore 1.5” of snow that he woke up to and pretend it was never there, when he measures the 6.5 later. To illustrate the absurdity, a hypothetical storm approaches (let’s say from my southwest) - front-end overrunning snow starts at midnight. I wake up to 5” of snow and shovel out my car and struggle to work through snow covered roads. it then changes to sleet and rain and the rain washes away the snow, but as the storm pulls slowly away I end up on the back-side in the CCB, and it changes back to heavy snow, leaving another 6”. I go home and have to shovel that. It stops and an inch melts/compacts before they measure at 11 pm. So the NWS is telling me that a storm where I shoveled 11” of snow was really only a 5” storm. That’s crazy. Lol.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:49 am

ok ..I measured on grass surface 4 inches last night...but I also had 1.24 inches of rain measured yest as well before it changed over..I count both right..
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:51 am

Frank_Wx wrote:
weatherwatchermom wrote:Just heard on news there are about 500 cars stuck on route 280

Heard the same. When the storm got going it REALLY got going. It was a wall of white.

This was a very tough forecast. People who saw 12+ inches was over a narrow area from NJ to NY. I busted PA and NYC Metro, though also hard to tell with all the melting and compaction that took place. Maybe the next March snowstorm we'll have better luck

I think you did a great job..that was a wild storm to be sure....going to pm you
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:56 am

weatherwatchermom wrote:ok ..I measured on grass surface 4 inches last night...but I also had 1.24 inches of rain measured yest as well before it changed over..I count both right..

That's correct Mom.
I measured 2x yesterday totalling up to 11" on my snow board cleaning it off after my 1st measurement at 3 pm of 4.5" with my CP adjusted ruler LOL, called shorty.
But at the end of the storm I had 9" of white gold on my grass well dirt sin e I put down 4 yards in the late fall. This is what is absurd to me as well that I should report it as 9"?? Meanwhile River Vale comes in at 6" but 4 towns around us come in at 8,9,9.5 and 9" with is he measuring under a tree???

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 42 of 42 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum