NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th?

+45
uanswer2me
brownie
Vinnydula
1190ftalt
chief7
TheAresian
weatherwatchermom
Artingerb
Artechmetals
WeatherBob
billg315
Zhukov1945
Math23x7
RJB8525
Dunnzoo
SENJsnowman
Radz
Lnda23
algae888
aiannone
MattyICE
SoulSingMG
frank 638
Snow88
mmanisca
hurrysundown23
docstox12
jmanley32
amugs
Irish
Grselig
mikeypizano
essexcountypete
phil155
crippo84
hyde345
sroc4
lglickman1
dsix85
bobjohnsonforthehall
CPcantmeasuresnow
heehaw453
nutleyblizzard
rb924119
Frank_Wx
49 posters

Page 14 of 23 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18 ... 23  Next

Go down

Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 14 Empty Re: Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th?

Post by jmanley32 Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:35 pm

I am gonna put my mind at ease now and expect this to be a supersoaker and wind storm, I am actually NOT happy about that but it is what it is. If it makes a last minute miracle for coastal areas great. Good luck to those up north I will check back in tomorrow.

jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

weatherwatchermom likes this post

Back to top Go down

Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 14 Empty Re: Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th?

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:41 pm

Even us northern folk are starting to give up hope on this one. Anytime I hear mid levels are warm that’s enough for me. 2-4 inches of snow followed by a lot of sleet and freezing rain does nothing for me at this stage of my life. Wish this thing would wrap itself up down in the gulf and head ots.

CP out.

CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:55 pm

mikeypizano wrote:Maybe it's time to take a lesson and stop getting hyped up by  fantasy storms...

This storm is well deserving of its own thread (assuming that’s what you mean by hype).

First, the medium to long range is flooded with opportunity and this was a way of singling out the medium range. Second, we’re far from knowing the final solution. Third, even if this storm happens as modeled there’s still a decent amount of snow forecasted to fall N&W.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

CPcantmeasuresnow, hyde345, mmanisca, essexcountypete, jmanley32, heehaw453 and MattyICE like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:32 pm

I will continue sending mixed messages on this storm. The 00Z GFS continues to take the ULL further south and is later with the s/w interaction.  Based on what I can see this nudges the ULL eastward and hence is much more favorable for sig snow NW I95.  If that is true there is hope, but if the Euro is true then forgot about it.  If the GFS is truly onto something surface low pressure will more than like transfer east in TIME to mitigate the warming especially NW of I95.  It has shown this trend for 4 runs now.  We all must understand that phasing systems behave in peculiar ways and depending on the exact angles/timing involved determines a lot of the movements and transfers.  I'm sure Rb and Frank could elaborate on this much better.

The GFS is really trying to get this done for interior folks...  It won't quite put me out misery just yet.  It'll probably wait until tomorrow to disappoint, but I am fully prepared for that as is everyone else on the board.  All have a good night and I am not bothering with the Euro as I want to think good thoughts...

Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 14 Gfsull11

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:54 pm

Model's right now show a decent snow event here in Albany, NY, though even here it changes over. Given how trends have been, perhaps it will trend so far west it cuts through the great lakes Razz

That being said, I could see myself getting several inches of snow before the changeover.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhukov1945 Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:07 am

My cope - tbh this wasn't going to be one of the great ones anyway. Maybe 6 or 8" of snow in NJ if we were lucky...better to take the L here and hope for bigger things to come!
Zhukov1945
Zhukov1945

phil155 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:19 am

06Z GFS is slightly west.  Much less desirable, but totally expected.  If you are NW NJ (above Rt 80), Orange County, NEPA then I could see 3-6" before taint. Elevated areas (> 1200') and I-81 corridor should do pretty well and have decent shot > 6".  If you are NW I95 but not in aforementioned areas maybe 1-3"/2-4" before taint.  If you are straddling I95 or SE I would think C-1" should just about do it.  I don't see any evidence that tells me otherwise.

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

SENJsnowman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:37 am

Zhukov1945 wrote:
My cope - tbh this wasn't going to be one of the great ones anyway.  Maybe 6 or 8" of snow in NJ if we were lucky...better to take the L here and hope for bigger things to come!

This actually had a lot more potential than ultimately what will come of it. The problem with phasing systems is they are high risk/high reward all or nothing kind of situation. The right timing/angle on the phase and it'd be a different outcome entirely.

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

phil155 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mmanisca Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:56 am

Actually it seems as though the modeling has been consistent with this storm and Long Island other than a brief period of wet snow at the beginning is mainly rain. Probably not a big snow event inland either. I do like the consistency and want to see it play out with not much of anything for us, hoping it is in dication that when they do consistently advertise a big storm snow event that it too works out! Still concerned that this winter will be a let down, hope I'M wrong (and not proven wrong in March and April when I want spring!)!
mmanisca
mmanisca
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

SENJsnowman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:10 am

Bye bye Izzy, moving on. Pretty disappointing but hopefully, there will be others.
Irish
Irish
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

heehaw453 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:19 am

Checking in to see what goes this morning.
First of all, great job by the long range crew, Frank, rb, heehaw,Doc,Mugsy,and anybody else I missed for picking up on this storm signal days ago.
Where I am in the LHV,NWS has me for heavy snow turning to a mix ,4 to 8 inches.Heehaw posted a slight jog east would bump that up, so the north crew still has a shot to see something out of this.Funny thing, Mother Nature evens the score sometimes, we had nothing up here the first snowstorm and half of what the shore and LI crew got on the second.
You never know what will happen when these winter storms head up here.I have seen it all watching them since December 1960, transferral of energy, subsidence, dry slots, warm noses etc etc.This thing could jog east and everybody could get in on the goods.Plenty of time left so tomorrow we should know better.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

CPcantmeasuresnow likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:32 am

docstox12 wrote:Checking in to see what goes this morning.
First of all, great job by the long range crew, Frank, rb, heehaw,Doc,Mugsy,and anybody else I missed for picking up on this storm signal days ago.
Where I am in the LHV,NWS has me for heavy snow turning to a mix ,4 to 8 inches.Heehaw posted a slight jog east would bump that up, so the north crew still has a shot to see something out of this.Funny thing, Mother Nature evens the score sometimes, we had nothing up here the first snowstorm and half of what the shore and LI crew got on the second.
You never know what will happen when these winter storms head up here.I have seen it all watching them since December 1960, transferral of energy, subsidence, dry slots, warm noses etc etc.This thing could jog east and everybody could get in on the goods.Plenty of time left so tomorrow we should know better.

100% true. A slight adjustment on track or an unexpected transfer and it's another animal entirely.

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:11 am

Sampling happens today peeps and this is when the track starts to take better shape. As the Ocean Storm departs as well. A 50-75 mile shift at 500mb S or SE will help bring accumulation snows that much further S/SE for the board.

Does teh kicker move in faster and shove this more SE? Is the system going to be as amplified? Is the confluence over NE from the ocean storm hang bang back longer or is stronger to suppress the storm more SE. We do not have answers to this and I have been harping on this all week, we may be nowcasting with this storm late Saturday and Sunday as it takes shape as well. This is a fickle, delicate set up and sorry by SNJ south of the Driscoll Bridge is not in teh game unless we have a drastic shift of 150 miles SE.
The 700 MB center mid level of the storm is west so we need that to move east as well.

I follow this Pro Met and he is very reasonable and looks for adjustments and then questions why the Surface does not reflect the adjustment which to me in interesting.

Again if this continues it could be a saving grace for even for CNJ IMO.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:28 am

So far and fair call at this stage

Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 14 362D3F8C-10CC-4C71-A6CC-880DBF20962B.jpeg.2b831066e2709463f1e6609e38e84572

Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 14 301E9F1B-8B4A-4D10-BAEF-5F0F76161136.jpeg.1a28aa87ec143b2d2f9231fc22cf54f6

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:35 am

A point that I have brought up before is I don't really have a good precedent of an ULL going south of Atlanta and then becoming an inland runner. It's really kind of extreme to do that. Even the 93 superstorm I don't believe ran that far inland more of extreme coastal hugger. Then again a lot of storms don't have TPV sling shot action like this one.

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:41 am

heehaw453 wrote:A point that I have brought up before is I don't really have a good precedent of an ULL going south of Atlanta and then becoming an inland runner.  It's really kind of extreme to do that.  Even the 93 superstorm I don't believe ran that far inland more of extreme coastal hugger.  Then again a lot of storms don't have TPV sling shot action like this one.  
in 93 I remember we had almost foot of snow lots of sleet brief period of rain then back to snow

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:41 am

Appreciate the updates everyone. I get that there is still miracle potential here, but it seems like over the last 24 hrs I’ve swallowed and digested the bitter pill of disappointment and been able to reset my focus on to the long range weather (and short term/daily responsibilities lol).

At least it’s still pretty early in the season, so for now anyways we still have time on our side…as well as what ought to be favorable conditions.

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

amugs and phil155 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:43 am

heehaw453 wrote:A point that I have brought up before is I don't really have a good precedent of an ULL going south of Atlanta and then becoming an inland runner.  It's really kind of extreme to do that.  Even the 93 superstorm I don't believe ran that far inland more of extreme coastal hugger.  Then again a lot of storms don't have TPV sling shot action like this one.  

93 storm I was living in Mahwah NJ, northern Bergen County.Started off like a raging blizzard but the position the storm was in, a coastal hugger, turned the snow to sleet, which I had 3 or 4 inches of on top of the snow, for a total of 17 inches. In NE PA, it was all snow totaling over 36 inches.50 to 75 mile jog east would have put me in the all snow area.
Mugsy's maps above show some areas are not out of this yet.In 36 hours , we will have a clearer picture.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:45 am

At this pt I wil ltake my 3 inches from NWS, hopefully drops south 50-75 miles then many on board cash in on warning level shows of at least 6.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:46 am

Interesting how the two are at major odds - one shall be right or cave to the other

EURO ENS - driving rainstorm after an heavy thump in NNJ , LHV and EPA 2-4" then ice then heavy rain

Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 14 FJEVZQDWQAIisfr?format=jpg&name=medium

GEFS - NNJ, LHV, sees 4-8" to icy mix with little to no rain with this forecast NYC sees 1-3"

Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 14 FJEVZQuXsAIPsVe?format=jpg&name=medium

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:48 am

SENJsnowman wrote:Appreciate the updates everyone. I get that there is still miracle potential here, but it seems like over the last 24 hrs I’ve swallowed and digested the bitter pill of disappointment and been able to reset my focus on to the long range weather (and short term/daily responsibilities lol).

At least it’s still pretty early in the season, so for now anyways we still have time on our side…as well as what ought to be favorable conditions.

SNJ from Driscoll on S needs a hail mary miracle for this to be snow for you all. The biggest impact will be moderate coastal flooding and the wind gusts up to 55/60MPH.

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:49 am

amugs wrote:So far and fair call at this stage

Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 14 362D3F8C-10CC-4C71-A6CC-880DBF20962B.jpeg.2b831066e2709463f1e6609e38e84572

Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 14 301E9F1B-8B4A-4D10-BAEF-5F0F76161136.jpeg.1a28aa87ec143b2d2f9231fc22cf54f6

I like this call for now.  However elevated areas I think will do well (> 6")  Mt Pocono is over 1700' i believe and will do better than 4".  I have little doubt about that.

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:03 am

I actually think the NWS map for my area of 6 inches is overdone. I could see 2-3 and then an inch of sleet and freezing rain. If I somehow get out of this, currently as modeled disaster of a setup with 6 inches of snow, I'd be delighted.

Label me highly skeptical of even that much at this point.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

heehaw453 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:07 am

amugs wrote:
SENJsnowman wrote:Appreciate the updates everyone. I get that there is still miracle potential here, but it seems like over the last 24 hrs I’ve swallowed and digested the bitter pill of disappointment and been able to reset my focus on to the long range weather (and short term/daily responsibilities lol).

SNJ from Driscoll on S needs a hail mary miracle for this to be snow for you all. The biggest impact will be moderate coastal flooding and the wind gusts up to 55/60MPH.
Will the wind be widespread, since I no longer have access to wind maps I rely on your posts of them. Luckily it is winter and no leaves so power outages unless frz are not as likely. Would just like to see that accompanied by heavy snow : )
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:29 am

The main 500mb closes and matures so early that the mid level lows get pulled underneath and you begin getting the occluded situation. Obv when the upper and mid level centers start to align you end up pulling the SLP west along with it.  Bottom line any time ewe get phasing energy in the middle of the country unless there is a mechanism (which we dont) to keep it suppressed it raises heights too quickly and we get warm sectored.

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:01 am

sroc4 wrote:

The main 500mb closes and matures so early that the mid level lows get pulled underneath and you begin getting the occluded situation.  Obv when the upper and mid level centers start to align you end up pulling the SLP west along with it.  Bottom line any time ewe get phasing energy in the middle of the country unless there is a mechanism (which we dont) to keep it suppressed it raises heights too quickly and we get warm sectored.

Yes...and early in the week we saw two main features trend worse:

1) -NAO block trended weaker and more east-based
2) Because of that, the Atlantic storm that was supposed to be our 50-50 low is no more. Instead we have an HP east of Maine

Pretty maddening that a southern slider turned into an apps runner that is probably going to transfer to a low off the coast. But by that point, there's no juice left and we all get dry slotted.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

phil155 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:05 am

sroc4 wrote:

The main 500mb closes and matures so early that the mid level lows get pulled underneath and you begin getting the occluded situation.  Obv when the upper and mid level centers start to align you end up pulling the SLP west along with it.  Bottom line any time ewe get phasing energy in the middle of the country unless there is a mechanism (which we dont) to keep it suppressed it raises heights too quickly and we get warm sectored.

I agree but the main culprit IMO is the tpv sling shot effect. There have been ULLs that close off before early. But when they pass underneath Atlanta I can't find an analog where we get an inland runner. Not much resistance of course is like a perfect setup for something like this occur. It's a interesting use case for sure.

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 23 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18 ... 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum