NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banter Thread 7.0

+33
brownie
mmanisca
Grselig
GreyBeard
Dunnzoo
Taffy
Quietace
HectorO
Frank_Wx
billg315
dolphins222
sroc4
essexcountypete
docstox12
Ronfdny
TheAresian
phil155
Scullybutcher
Math23x7
lglickman1
dkodgis
weatherwatchermom
jmanley32
SENJsnowman
CPcantmeasuresnow
rb924119
nutleyblizzard
crippo84
RJB8525
frank 638
mikeypizano
heehaw453
amugs
37 posters

Page 23 of 23 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 21, 22, 23

Go down

TongaVolcano - Banter Thread 7.0 - Page 23 Empty Re: Banter Thread 7.0

Post by sroc4 Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:04 am

🤯 🤯

sroc4
Admin
Admin

docstox12, GreyBeard and weatherwatchermom like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:32 am

sroc4 wrote:🤯 🤯

Worth every penny and we look every day for new posts..just amazing

weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:18 pm

sroc4 wrote:🤯 🤯

With that in mind....

TongaVolcano - Banter Thread 7.0 - Page 23 Youare11

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

sroc4 and docstox12 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:31 am

Around these parts, heating oil jumped to $6.03 a gallon which is codoil, cheapest around. Cash on the nail. 

Heating oil looks poised to go to $8 in the dead of winter
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

docstox12 and amugs like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:47 pm

dkodgis wrote:Around these parts, heating oil jumped to $6.03 a gallon which is codoil, cheapest around. Cash on the nail. 

And with this Gasoline jumped 40 cents a gallon this week from Tuesday to Thursday. Back up to $3.75 a gallon.

Credit Suisse maybe the next Lehman Bros of America 2008 but worse. 2nd largest bank in the world and have massive cash flow and debt issues. Asking for a $4Billion infusion to keep them afloat. Called them Debt Suisse or Done Suisse.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:50 pm

amugs wrote:
dkodgis wrote:Around these parts, heating oil jumped to $6.03 a gallon which is codoil, cheapest around. Cash on the nail. 

And with this Gasoline jumped 40 cents a gallon this week from Tuesday to Thursday. Back up to $3.75 a gallon.

Credit Suisse maybe the next Lehman Bros of America 2008 but worse. 2nd largest bank in the world and have massive cash flow and debt issues. Asking for a $4Billion  infusion to keep them afloat. Called them Debt Suisse or Done Suisse.

It's not just gas or heating oil, my wife went to buy canned tomatoes to make sauce and they jumped from 2.40 to 3.70 a can in a short time.We are lucky to be out of debt and have the capital to invest in an inflationary environment ( I lived through 1971 to 1982 with rampant inflation), but I feel terrible for young families and elderly who live week to week during these times.

Worldwide debt over 300 trillion ATM and climbing.These infusions are merely currency created out of thin air like 10 years of QE were after 2008.MMT economics.
No matter what anybody says, all debts must be paid without exception.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:47 am

My question is- who holds the notes? China?

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:06 pm

SENJsnowman wrote:My question is- who holds the notes? China?

SE, as of now, China holds 980.8 billion of US Treasuries.If they dumped them all at once, there would be consequences in the bond market but not likely to happen.They have a much bigger problem, 46 trillion in government debt.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:31 pm

Credit Card Debt in America - with 25-28%APR rates many are not going to be able paying off their debts anytime soon for most major Credit Cards.

TongaVolcano - Banter Thread 7.0 - Page 23 FgVKZ15WAAAC_Wm?format=jpg&name=medium

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:39 pm

In Debt We Trust
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:49 pm

On another subject, I happened to notice that the covid test kits provided by the govt. are now expired. I had bookmarked the website where you could simply put in your mailing address to order the kits only to find this banner at the top of the page:

Ordering through the free at-home test program was suspended on Friday, September 2 because Congress hasn’t provided additional funding to replenish the nation’s stockpile of tests.

Did a bit of digging and see that the Biden administration said that the COVID-19 public health emergency will continue through Jan. 11 as officials brace for a spike in cases this winter.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/biden-administration-extends-covid-19-public-health-emergency

They anticipate a spike in cases, yet decide to cease providing kits to determine if one is infected seems counter productive, no? Am I missing something?

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:38 pm

GreyBeard wrote:On another subject, I happened to notice that the covid test kits provided by the govt. are now expired. I had bookmarked the website where you could simply put in your mailing address to order the kits only to find this banner at the top of the page:

Ordering through the free at-home test program was suspended on Friday, September 2 because Congress hasn’t provided additional funding to replenish the nation’s stockpile of tests.

Did a bit of digging and see that the Biden administration said that the COVID-19 public health emergency will continue through Jan. 11 as officials brace for a spike in cases this winter.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/biden-administration-extends-covid-19-public-health-emergency

They anticipate a spike in cases, yet decide to cease providing kits to determine if one is infected seems counter productive, no? Am I missing something?

It's your tax dollars at work, Greybeard.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by brownie Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:09 pm

GreyBeard wrote:On another subject, I happened to notice that the covid test kits provided by the govt. are now expired.
Many of the home tests have had their expiration dates extended.  They were initially given a short window because the tests were so new that their effectiveness was unknown beyond a few months.  The manufacturers continue to test their effectiveness.  Last time I checked, some of my tests had been extended through December 2022.  See here to look up current expiration dates for the tests you have at home:

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests#list

brownie

GreyBeard likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:28 pm

GreyBeard wrote:On another subject, I happened to notice that the covid test kits provided by the govt. are now expired. I had bookmarked the website where you could simply put in your mailing address to order the kits only to find this banner at the top of the page:

My 2cents:

Why are we testing for Covid any more anyway?  If your eperiencing upper resp signs, and/or running a fever stay home.  Current guidelines for covid are stay away for 5days.  If your not febrile and asymptomatic your free to resume as normal. If your still a little stuffy or congested they say wear a mask for an additional 5days, but even that is just a suggestion.  

With that vast majority of us having natural immunity, vaccine immunity, or both your risk of anything serious is less than or at worst equal to that of many of the other resp illnesses. The current starins of Covid are nothing more than a cold for the overwhelming majority of people who ghet it; even for many of the elderly.  YES it will still cause significant disease in a few but those who it will know they are in the high risk category, and there are measures you can take to minimize risks, ie: N-95mask.  

Anyway I personally dont want my tax dollars going to people stock piling a bunch of tests that are not needed in most instances.  Again if you are really sick your Dr will test you for covid as well as all the other resp diseases.  If you have a cold stay home until you feel better and carry on.  Ifg you test positive fo COVID you do not needd to re-test as it can stay positive for well over a month.  Again the guidlines have you back well before that.

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:35 pm

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests#list

Thank you for the link, brownie. Perhaps that will help others on the forum. Unfortunately, in my case, I tossed them in the trash when I saw the expiration date.

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

brownie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:57 pm

sroc4 wrote:

My 2cents:

Why are we testing for Covid any more anyway?  If your eperiencing upper resp signs, and/or running a fever stay home.  Current guidelines for covid are stay away for 5days.  If your not febrile and asymptomatic your free to resume as normal. If your still a little stuffy or congested they say wear a mask for an additional 5days, but even that is just a suggestion.  

With that vast majority of us having natural immunity, vaccine immunity, or both your risk of anything serious is less than or at worst equal to that of many of the other resp illnesses.  The current starins of Covid are nothing more than a cold for the overwhelming majority of people who ghet it;  even for many of the elderly.  YES it will still cause significant disease in a few but those who it will know they are in the high risk category, and there are measures you can take to minimize risks, ie: N-95mask.  

Anyway I personally dont want my tax dollars going to people stock piling a bunch of tests that are not needed in most instances.  Again if you are really sick your Dr will test you for covid as well as all the other resp diseases.  If you have a cold stay home until you feel better and carry on.  If you test positive fo COVID you do not needd to re-test as it can stay positive for well over a month.  Again the guidlines have you back well before that.

As you say, it's your 2 cents. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am not as dismissive as you are about it, especially after seeing my wife's boss, an otherwise healthy individual in his early 50's, recently pass away from it. I'm not saying having a home test would have made a difference by any means, but it might help an individual differentiate between having the flu, a simple cold or having covid. Just another tool in the arsenal.I get your point about going to the doctor if you are asymptomatic which would be the most sensible thing to do. I am also quite a bit older than you are I believe, and that may have some bearing on MY opinion. Let's hope we all get thru it safely and remain in good health.

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

brownie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:25 pm

GreyBeard wrote:
sroc4 wrote:

My 2cents:

With that vast majority of us having natural immunity, vaccine immunity, or both your risk of anything serious is less than or at worst equal to that of many of the other resp illnesses.  The current starins of Covid are nothing more than a cold for the overwhelming majority of people who ghet it;  even for many of the elderly.  YES it will still cause significant disease in a few but those who it will know they are in the high risk category, and there are measures you can take to minimize risks, ie: N-95mask.  

Anyway I personally dont want my tax dollars going to people stock piling a bunch of tests that are not needed in most instances.  Again if you are really sick your Dr will test you for covid as well as all the other resp diseases.  If you have a cold stay home until you feel better and carry on.  If you test positive fo COVID you do not needd to re-test as it can stay positive for well over a month.  Again the guidlines have you back well before that.

As you say, it's your 2 cents. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am not as dismissive as you are about it, especially after seeing my wife's boss, an otherwise healthy individual in his early 50's, recently pass away from it. I'm not saying having a home test would have made a difference by any means, but it might help an individual differentiate between having the flu, a simple cold or having covid. Just another tool in the arsenal.I get your point about going to the doctor if you are asymptomatic which would be the most sensible thing to do.

My condolences. Like I said there will still be those who die from Covid as well as die with Covid. My point is there is really no reason for tax payer dollars to fund every at home test kit for every individual who wants to test themselves every time they get a sniffle. If they are that concerned purchase it yourself, or go to the Dr and let insurance cover it. Like you said an at home covid test kit funded by tax payers is likely irrelevant as to why or how your wife's boss passed. That doesnt take away the saddness for his/her family or to anyone who knew him or her. Again my condolences.

sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

amugs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brownie Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:59 pm

Why is this partisan political discussion allowed to proliferate in the Official Weather Talk section?

The last people I visited with in a restaurant before Covid lockdown were members of this forum. We had a lovely time, and I will never forget it.  There was ZERO political discussion, only talk of weather, as it should be!

Frank has been mostly absent for a long time here, and I don’t known if it’s relevant, but it has coincided with the rise of ultraconservative political posts (in which I would include conspiracy theory oriented posts) included in the official weather talk section. Why are these posts included in the official weather talk section?  I no longer feel welcome here, which is sad, because I never felt that way when Frank was a frequent poster, and this was a non-political board.

This may be my last post here.  I would hate that to be the case, but I think you have made it clear who and what ideas are welcomed here.

brownie

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:03 pm

https://www.walmart.com/browse/health/covid-19-test-kits/976760_1005860_542089_3092061

Many kits are available from Walmart.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

GreyBeard likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:22 pm

brownie wrote:Why is this partisan political discussion allowed to proliferate in the Official Weather Talk section?

The last people I visited with in a restaurant before Covid lockdown were members of this forum. We had a lovely time, and I will never forget it.  There was ZERO political discussion, only talk of weather, as it should be!

Frank has been mostly absent for a long time here, and I don’t known if it’s relevant, but it has coincided with the rise of ultraconservative political posts (in which I would include conspiracy theory oriented posts) included in the official weather talk section. Why are these posts included in the official weather talk section?  I no longer feel welcome here, which is sad, because I never felt that way when Frank was a frequent poster, and this was a non-political board.

This may be my last post here.  I would hate that to be the case, but I think you have made it clear who and what ideas are welcomed here.

Maybe a solution here would be to restrict banter to only weather related issues and nothing else.You are a valuable member here Brownie, with your reports from your area, which I enjoy very much and will come into play very soon when our first snowstorm comes in.I will leave it to the moderators to make a decision on this.I seem to remember there used to be a "general banter" section where non weather issues were discussed.That would isolate any discussions that might make anybody upset.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

brownie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:49 pm

brownie wrote:Why is this partisan political discussion allowed to proliferate in the Official Weather Talk section?

Brownie, you are 100% correct that this section of the forum is for WEATHER related banter. I will take my share of the blame for posting a non-weather related subject and I sincerely hope I did not offend you in any way as that was not my intention at all. I know you are a weather fan, as we all are, that is something we all have in common. I also know you visit here often, and like me, do not post as much as some do, but enjoy reading the posts. I hope you will continue to enjoy this forum and reconsider your thoughts of leaving.

And docstox is correct. There is a GENERAL BANTER section that would be more suited for any non weather related discussions.

Last edited by GreyBeard on Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

brownie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brownie Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:54 pm

GreyBeard wrote:Brownie, you are 100% correct that this section of the forum is for WEATHER related banter. I will take my share of the blame for posting a non-weather related subject and I sincerely hope I did not offend you in any way as that was not my intention at all. I know you are a weather fan, as we all are, that is something we all have in common. I also know you visit here often, and like me, do not post as much as some do. I hope you will continue to enjoy this forum and reconsider your thoughts of leaving.

Greybeard, I responded to a completely nonpolitical post of yours, no need for apologies.  I am a scientist and was responding to your post with data that I thought might be of use to you. But it would help to remove non-weather banter to a non-weather section of the board.

brownie

docstox12 and GreyBeard like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:53 pm

Maybe the moderators can change it to "Weather Banter" and "Non Weather Banter" or something like that, so it is clear..I am guilty of posting economic and investment elated stuff on what should be weather banter.And on that note, we are coming to the 62nd anniversary of the Dec 11-121960, snowstorm that dumped over 20 inches in Fort Lee NJ where I was living at the time. This snowstorm was what hooked me on snowstorms and winter and here I am at almost age 72 still fascinated by it all.The best comparison I can make to it would be the Dec. 26 2010 Boxing Day Blizzard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Kq7MLpM9o
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:51 pm

I agree! I’ll try and move some posts around in the morning.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:16 am

Good morning Brownie and the rest of the board.  I hope this post finds you all well.  

First Brownie, Im not sure why you would feel unwelcome simply because others are expressing opinions that may not align with those of your own.  I do not see a single post that attacked you specifically for perhaps having a different point of view regarding anything being discussed.  If you did have a different point of view whether it be on a weather related topic or in this case some of the political perspectives more recently discussed, it has never been discouraged for you to express them.  The only thing that this board insists on is you have respect for others perspectives and not troll someone else's opinions.  There are ways to argue and disagree with someone and still make your points, but still show respect for those of whom you're arguing with; even if in the end you cant agree.  

I know for me personally this has been a place where I have felt safe expressing some of my points of view regarding a whole host of topics.  You have to realize that in todays landscape anything considered "conservative, or "a republican's point of view" seems to get quickly get lumped into a certain category that is that of an extreme.  The overwhelming majority of us live in the middle of the political landscape.  Some may lean a little left or right on any given topic.  The problem has been is if you lean right in todays world you get immediately lumped in the the most "ultraconservative" part of the right.  The same way you felt unwelcome is the way many of us have felt since the beginning of the Covid pandemic started.  

Throughout the past 2 yrs if you questioned things you were considered a conspiracy theorist.  Problem is some of the conspiracies' turn out to be true.  In this case questioning where the virus came from, vaccine efficacy or safety, natural immunity, getting kids back in schools, hunter Biden's laptop to name a few; all of these things were considered conspiracy.  Many of us where banned from social media and looked at as bad human beings that didn't care etc. by "the mod, that often included our own family and/or close friends simply because we questioned what the official narrative by those in charge were saying.  Every single one of the things I listed, among a long laundry list of other things, turned out to be 100% true and now can be openly discussed.  But I digress.  

Remember back in the day there were these magic eye pictures?  By just looking at them at face value it looks like is a bunch of hodge podge.  But if you forced your eyes to focus through the picture at just the right depth a 3D image would pop out at you in crisp detail.   Thats the way I have felt about alot of this political stuff.  Once you see it you really cant un see it and it becomes clear as day.  I by no means am saying I have it all right.  I am 100% willing to listen to someone who differs from me about something and present their argument and change my opinion, but I am not willing for someone to simply poo poo my opinion simply on the grounds that it differs from theirs, and Im definitely not going to stand for them to censor me on those same grounds.  
TongaVolcano - Banter Thread 7.0 - Page 23 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F7d%2Fa0%2Fec%2F7da0ec9c04df8e310a974fb258dc7288

All that said Brownie you are 100% correct in that tjis particular thread is not the place for these sorts of discussions.  I 100% agree with you and personally apologize to you, and the rest of the board as I am certainly guilty of recently expressing some of my political opinions, in this case in the wrong location.  Myself Frank, and the other mods have started a discussion in the back channels last night and agree as seen by Frank coming in and starting to clean things up.  Again many of us who do lean right and believe the Bill just want to be heard, and not felt like our opinions are lumped into anything "ultra" or "conspiracy".  Many of us feel as if our Bill Of Rights are under attack.  Just because an individual hasnt seen it yet, doesnt mean it's not true. Doesnt mean it is either.  Respect for one another is all I ask.    

Let this be the last of these sorts of posts in here, and get back to weather banter.  Which for the record, there are a few rumblings on the wind that the strat polar vortex is under attack such that it might be stretching and warming a bit this month such that very late Nov and Dec could legit get cold and snowy.  We'll see.

sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

SENJsnowman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content