NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greater NYC weather forum

+5
rb924119
sroc4
jmanley32
docstox12
Snowprincess0204
9 posters

Go down

Greater NYC weather forum Empty Greater NYC weather forum

Post by Snowprincess0204 Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:43 am

Anyone on here from the old NYC metro weather forum?

Snowprincess0204

Back to top Go down

Greater NYC weather forum Empty Re: Greater NYC weather forum

Post by docstox12 Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:17 am

Snowprincess0204 wrote:Anyone on here from the old NYC metro weather forum?

Are you talking about Bill Evans Channel 7 weather forum? If so, I am.Many members here came from that one to NJ Strong.LOL, there were some strange ducks on that Channel 7 forum.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Noreaster and Taffy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:47 am

docstox12 wrote:

Are you talking about Bill Evans Channel 7 weather forum? If so, I am.Many members here came from that one to NJ Strong.LOL, there were some strange ducks on that Channel 7 forum.
Never was on there but of course theres no strange ducks on this forum, never has been.....lmao okay (myself included doc)
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:10 am

jmanley32 wrote:
docstox12 wrote:

Never was on there but of course theres no strange ducks on this forum, never has been.....lmao okay (myself included doc)

LOL. The Channel 7 Board had a few real lunatics there.Our Forum is a pillar of sanity in comparison.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Taffy and Sparky Sparticles like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowprincess0204 Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:40 am

Yes! I was on the original ch 7 and then they formed the nyc metro weather. I loved “Robb’s” but he moved south and the forum fell apart. I got a lot of good info despite the “craziness”.
Hope I find a new home here.

Snowprincess0204

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:03 am

Snowprincess0204 wrote:Yes! I was on the original ch 7 and then they formed the nyc metro weather. I loved “Robb’s” but he moved south and the forum fell apart. I got a lot of good info despite the “craziness”.
I was not aware they formed the nyc metro weather.When ch 7 folded, NJ Strong was started.
I think you will like the board here.We have amazing people with meteorological knowledge and there is a wide area we cover with all the members.It is fun when a winter storm is approaching, you get reports and can follow the storms progress.There is a great banter section where you can discuss other things, but blessedly, no politics as it is so divisive these days.I provide knowledge of ancient weather history going back to 1960 plus bad jokes.
Anyway, welcome aboard!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Taffy and SENJsnowman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:32 am

Snowprincess0204 wrote:Yes! I was on the original ch 7 and then they formed the nyc metro weather. I loved “Robb’s” but he moved south and the forum fell apart. I got a lot of good info despite the “craziness”.

Snow Princess welcome to the board!  Many of us were from the original channel 7 board. Myself and the other moderators were asked by Frank, the true founding father of this board, to get things started back in the day. There is a large core of original members here that came from that board. Like NYC Metro board this was started because we needed a new home. I too didn’t even know that other board existed to be honest, maybe because we started this one at the same time.

Anyway hopefully you will find this place, while remains relatively quiet when The weather is quiet, I assure you when the tropics are active, and definitely when the winter weather gets active, it comes alive. We encourage questions, opinions, and analysis from every level of weather enthusiasts from the most basic beginner to meteorologists on this board; however, we quickly douse the flames of nonesense and trolls in here.  Personally I think that separates this board from most others.

Regarding politics, we do try and shy away from truly direct political discussions; however, there are the occasional politically infused posts and discussions since the weather and climate seem to be part of that. All aspect of life and weather have nuance. The idea that human kind has all these things all figured out and there are one size fits all discussions is silly. With that said we encourage multiple perspectives; not just one narrative, but it has to be done with respect.

Again welcome to the board.

Scott

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowprincess0204 Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:35 am

I love to hear about a storms track. I wish I understood more about the models and forecasting but being on these boards I feel like I have an insider’s knowledge of what’s coming. The NYC metro weather board finally folded. But yes it got a little too political.
So glad ti find this.
I was supposed to be in Alaska this week on a cruise but test pos for covid on Thursday. (Thank god for vacay insurance). But weather looks ti be even more rainy than normal so maybe a silver lining.

Snowprincess0204

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:14 am

Snowprincess0204 wrote:I love to hear about a storms track. I wish I understood more about the models and forecasting but being on these boards I feel like I have an insider’s knowledge of what’s coming. The NYC metro weather board finally folded. But yes it got a little too political.
So glad ti find this.
I was supposed to be in Alaska this week on a cruise but test pos for covid on Thursday. (Thank god for vacay insurance). But weather looks ti be even more rainy than normal so maybe a silver lining.  

We’ll have you schooled up and putting out your own forecasts in no time, fear not! Wink

Echoing the sentiments already expressed heretofore, we welcome you to the forum with open arms Smile I too am a native of the old ABC-7 board, but once that folded I’ve been here ever since. I’ve visited other forums, but this is the one I call home. We aren’t as big as some others, and may not have as many “big” names, but the content, people, and atmosphere here (pun intended, hehe) are what make me call this forum home. Quality over quantity any day Smile our posters are great, and our moderators do a fantabulous job of maintaining order while posting quality content and still allowing everybody to have fun. And of course, our fearless leader Frank - the man behind the curtain, has done a wonderful job of creating this community and keeping it going for all of us.

As Sroc said, we encourage questions, comments, and spirited yet respectful debate to foster discussion, and it’s completely OK to weenie out……we all do LOL one word of advice, though; whatever you do, DON’T bring up the measurements at Central Park to CPcantmeasuresnow when he finally awakens from his seasonal slumber (it’s all in the name haha). Isn’t that right, doc? told ya lol!

Kidding aside, I think you’ll like it here. You’ll come to find that most of us are friends both digitally and physically, in time, and I think that says a lot about the people and character of this forum Smile I, and we, look forward to your posts!

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

docstox12 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowprincess0204 Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:29 am

Thanks for such a warm welcome! Looking forward to some cooler weather! (Finally) such a brutal hot summer. I live in Union NJ. We always seem to be just on the bubble with storms.
My name here is based on my daughters birth. She was born in 95 right after the one big (8”) storm that year. And another fun fact, my son was born on groundhogs day, at dawn.. but I didn’t name him Phil.. lol

Snowprincess0204

sroc4, docstox12, rb924119, weatherwatchermom and billg315 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:49 pm

Snowprincess0204 wrote:I love to hear about a storms track. I wish I understood more about the models and forecasting but being on these boards I feel like I have an insider’s knowledge of what’s coming. The NYC metro weather board finally folded. But yes it got a little too political.
So glad ti find this.

Welcome princess! I just booked an Alaskan Cruise on the Princess line lol. Great group here, you will get all the inside info you need to help navigate the models and forecasts...

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:31 pm

Snowprincess0204 wrote:Thanks for such a warm welcome!  Looking forward to some cooler weather! (Finally) such a brutal hot summer. I live in Union NJ. We always seem to be just on the bubble with storms.
My name here is based on my daughters birth. She was born in 95 right after the one big (8”) storm that year. And another fun fact, my son was born on groundhogs day, at dawn.. but I didn’t name him Phil..  lol

Welcome and glad to have your here. My nephew was born on Groundhog's Day, but also not named Phil. lol.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowprincess0204 Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:01 pm

What’s the over/under on first snow? Can’t remember when it was this cool, this long, this early! Excited for winter

Snowprincess0204

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:32 am

Like a lot of users, I was on Bill Evans's 7-online Accu-Weather Chat Board, which shut down in 2013.  With that board declining in quality, Frank decided to create his own forum, which he created on January 5th, 2013.  Fun fact: this forum was originally called "NYC Metro Weather Forum" and subsequently the "NYC Metro Weather Authority Chat Board."  It was on March 9th, 2013 that the named changed to "NJ Strong Weather Forum" which is what it's called today.

I posted this on another Banter Thread in 2018 but Ill post it here:  Thanks to the wayback machine on archive.org, I was able to track down certain images of both the 7-online board and this forum in its infancy.

The first image is from August 16th, 2013, just days after Bill Evans announced the forum would shut down:

Greater NYC weather forum 7onlin10

It was nearly two months later, on October 7th, 2013, that it officially shut down.

Note that this was months after Frank created his own forum.  This is from January 2013, several weeks after the forum's creation, when it was the "NYC Metro Weather Forum":

Greater NYC weather forum Nycmet10

And here is an image from February 2013, when it was known as the "NYC Metro Weather Authority Chat Board":

Greater NYC weather forum Nycmet11

As I mentioned above, it became the NJ Strong Weather Forum in March 2013.  However, the wayback machine didnt have a clean version of a page until later that year.  Here is an image from October 2013:

Greater NYC weather forum Njstro10

Hard to believe this was all 9 years ago.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Noreaster, kalleg, Taffy and brownie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:03 am

Math23x7, you are ,without a doubt, the board's historian! Great memories from the above.Think I got on Bill Evan's board in the early or mid 2000's and was there at the start of Frank's.
9 years, it doesn't seem possible.So many great storms and fun tracking them in all those years!
When you can start remembering back 65 years, you know you are knocking on the nursing home's door,LOL.I would get thrown out of one for bribing the orderly to get me bourbon and cigars!
Anyway, a huge thank you to Frank and the moderators for making our board the BEST on the internet,
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

kalleg and SENJsnowman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffy Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:57 pm

Welcome SnowPrincess!

I was on the old Ch.7 board as well and came on over.
There are lots of great people here and I think you will really enjoy it. I can't wait for old man winter.
Taffy
Taffy
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Snowprincess0204 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum