NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banter Thread 8.0

+44
Carvin
Bkdude
Frozen.9
kalleg
JT33
WinterColdandSnowisamyth
aiannone
phil155
Coachgriff
lglickman1
mmanisca
MattyICE
2004blackwrx
Scullybutcher
TheAresian
essexcountypete
mikeypizano
RJB8525
Radz
brownie
nutleyblizzard
Grselig
richb521
Math23x7
dolphins222
CPcantmeasuresnow
crippo84
Quietace
rb924119
heehaw453
Irish
Dunnzoo
GreyBeard
weatherwatchermom
frank 638
jmanley32
dkodgis
billg315
sroc4
amugs
SENJsnowman
Frank_Wx
HectorO
docstox12
48 posters

Page 13 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

nywx - Banter Thread 8.0 - Page 13 Empty Re: Banter Thread 8.0

Post by essexcountypete Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:35 am

It's funny how the robins all arrive at once. Took a walk Sunday hardly a Robin to be found. Yesterday, they were absolutely everywhere.

Last year they arrived around Feb 13th. This year it was Feb 8th.

essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:22 am

I use robins as a gauge and then when juncos leave

dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

essexcountypete likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:46 am

sroc4 wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:So scott, still think my bet was off? I am will to bet gentlemans bet (no one wants to see me in a bathing suit, its a Borat SwimSuit lmao). Unless we see late season snow I see this ending in even less than my worst year since on here which I think was 5 inches. it is in my signature what year that was.

There is zero doubt in my mind you will see zero snow Jon. In fact you most likely will have to wait until 24/25 to get any measurable snow. Too bad you didn’t take the bet. It was a sure winner.  As they say in my world Jon...even the sun shines on a dogs ass from time to time.  You were right.
I am over it, onto hurricane season, though isn't that dampened in a nina year too? Well when you made the bet I never got to say what I would get if I won. You taking live video on Mt. Washington last weekend in your bathing suit...No that's just cruel, you would surely not survive that. Well anyways it is just unreal, on the plus side I did not have to breakmy back shoveling or finding parking spots for hours on end. Now lets bring on regular high 50's 60's!
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:56 am

essexcountypete wrote:It's funny how the robins all arrive at once. Took a walk Sunday hardly a Robin to be found. Yesterday, they were absolutely everywhere.

Last year they arrived around Feb 13th. This year it was Feb 8th.

I saw them up here in the LHV of NY last week.Used to be a late March thing way back in the stone age.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

CPcantmeasuresnow likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:43 am

Mid-February and closed off ULL passing off OBX doesn't produce snow for anyone DC to NYC.  Just hope this goes east and keeps the rain south. Mother Nature has spoken.

nywx - Banter Thread 8.0 - Page 13 Gem15

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:47 am

jmanley32 wrote:
sroc4 wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:So scott, still think my bet was off? I am will to bet gentlemans bet (no one wants to see me in a bathing suit, its a Borat SwimSuit lmao). Unless we see late season snow I see this ending in even less than my worst year since on here which I think was 5 inches. it is in my signature what year that was.

There is zero doubt in my mind you will see zero snow Jon. In fact you most likely will have to wait until 24/25 to get any measurable snow. Too bad you didn’t take the bet. It was a sure winner.  As they say in my world Jon...even the sun shines on a dogs ass from time to time.  You were right.
I am over it, onto hurricane season, though isn't that dampened in a nina year too? Well when you made the bet I never got to say what I would get if I won. You taking live video on Mt. Washington last weekend in your bathing suit...No that's just cruel, you would surely not survive that. Well anyways it is just unreal, on the plus side I did not have to breakmy back shoveling or finding parking spots for hours on end. Now lets bring on regular high 50's 60's!

Regular highs in the 50's and 60's in February?

I'm not saying it won't happen because in our new climate I wouldn't rule it out, but doesn't anyone see an impending ecological disaster out there should it happen? This isn't about the west getting snowfall this year and us not. Snowfall is a very poor measure of climate change. The NYC increased their snowfall in the 2001-2020 period with increased temperature but eventually it even affects snowfall, like the past several years for instance.

I'm not going to have a climate change argument right now with anyone I'll just tell you what my eyes have seen during my 55+ years of observing, it's a lot warmer on average in the Winter than it was, much warmer. Snow doesn't stick around much on the coastal plain and ice on ponds is becoming rarer each decade.

Sure climate always changes for one reason or another but not at the pace I've observed the last 40 years. Is mankind helping it along? Of course it is, you can delude yourself into thinking whatever you want, that's everyones right.

And no I'm not some climate change radical, I'm a little right of center on most things but to me this is just common sense and observation.

You can dislike Trump and Biden too and I do, life shouldn't be about choosing one side or the other. The right answer is usually in between.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

docstox12, dkodgis and Michael Rehman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:24 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:
sroc4 wrote:

I'm not saying it won't happen because in our new climate I wouldn't rule it out, but doesn't anyone see an impending ecological disaster out there should it happen? This isn't about the west getting snowfall this year and us not. Snowfall is a very poor measure of climate change. The NYC increased their snowfall in the 2001-2020 period with increased temperature but eventually it even affects snowfall, like the past several years for instance.

I'm not going to have a climate change argument right now with anyone I'll just tell you what my eyes have seen during my 55+ years of observing, it's a lot warmer on average in the Winter than it was, much warmer. Snow doesn't stick around much on the coastal plain and ice on ponds is becoming rarer each decade.

Sure climate always changes for one reason or another but not at the pace I've observed the last 40 years. Is mankind helping it along? Of course it is, you can delude yourself into thinking whatever you want, that's everyones right.

And no I'm not some climate change radical, I'm a little right of center on most things but to me this is just common sense and observation.

You can dislike Trump and Biden too and I do, life shouldn't be about choosing one side or the other. The right answer is usually in between.

Cp. I now we want to find the quick and easy answer to the madness that is our winter. That said None of this is reallyy all that abnormal when you look at it from the perspective of an earth time scale. With mainstream media a politicians pushing agendas its real easy to just accept the narrative of climate change from the man made CO2 narrative when we see the warmer winters we have seen in the north east over the past 3-4decades. Its all you see. Its all; you're told. But climate has nothing to do with politics. Regardless of your political agenda, or which way you lean the climate is going to do what its going to do.

When your not aloud to see discussions about the sun spot cycles, weakening earths magnetic fields, and sea surface temp alignments its ahrd for the every day guy or gal to believe any of it. But I have been studying this stuff for a very long time and the idea that these current leaders are pushing is a settled science is so beyond nonsense its not even funny. Again the knee jerk is to call me a denier. Stupid. I dont deny mans influence at all. Fully recognized, but when youre aloud to discuss and investigate some of this other stuff you realize just how important it is to the big picture. You also see very easily how these folks pushing "global warming" "climate change" etc refuse to even look at this other stuff, because if they did everything they have ever done would be wrong. And there are many egos unwilling to let go.

Like with Mr Hunter Biden and his lap top the truth can be hidden for only so long. Eventually it will be flushed out.

Remember Mugs posted Jan temp graph. Despite how warm WE have been the globe is actually dipped below the 0 line for Jan.
nywx - Banter Thread 8.0 - Page 13 Fn7cxn10[/url]

A half century of warming temps is such a fraction of a fraction of a fraction when looking at the big picture. You want to know why our tempsd are the way they are just look at the SSTA maps. The La Nina Trop Pac east based for 3 years in a row combined with the Warm anomalies in the Atlantic(AMO); have control over the Walker cell and Hadley cell configuration. THIS is why we are the way we are.

nywx - Banter Thread 8.0 - Page 13 Cdas-sflux_ssta_global_1
nywx - Banter Thread 8.0 - Page 13 Cdas-sflux_ssta_atl_1

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

docstox12 and CPcantmeasuresnow like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:01 pm

The zero line for January that is .04 degrees below the 1991-2020 normal  as measured against a 30 year normal that keeps increasing every ten years. Measure it against the 1961-1990 average and it is way up.

If we keep measuring against new averages it will always seem like the increases are not that bad we can live with it. Also looking at any individual month is disingenuous.

I appreciate your response we can agree to disagree. I doubt I could change your view and I’m sure you can’t change mine. Neither of us will probably live to see the final outcome, God forbid it is catastrophic, but more likely it will continue to warm and humans will adapt and Winters (an old obsolete term) will still have some snowy seasons with less continuous snow cover and less ice to skate on. I’ll enjoy those that happen and continue to detest seasons like the current one which have no redemption even should a snowy March occur, which by the way I believe for us northerners will happen this year.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

docstox12, brownie, dkodgis and Michael Rehman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:36 pm

The fact that we can discuss the climate issue without being ridiculed or "cancelled" is a testimony to our site and is what higher education used to be, a rational, non-insulting examination of many issues.ALL points of view were heard and respected back in the day.How the hell can young people ever succeed in the real world when they have only a one sided view as college provides today.I truly feel sorry for them because the real world does not provide "safe spaces" or "pet areas".
I am one of the "ancient old heads" on this site and the 1970's and 1980's were pretty bad for big snowstorms excluding Jan. and Feb. 1978 and Feb. 1983. I am talking 18 inch plus.As Cp said, we have had a great 20 years save for a few stinkers including this one.I have no idea if it is related to climate change. I guess the addition of so many more people on Earth from 1970 to now would increase CO2.
CP is right ,many years from now we will know what the result will be.As I have said many times before, whereI sit now in the LHV I would be underwater at one time, then ,millions of years later, looking up at 100 feet of ice.All way before man with the CO2.So there is that too.If one of Mugs volcanoes blows it's top,THAT will add to CO2 as well.
You youngsters will have to figure this all out, I am just here for the ride now,lol.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

sroc4, CPcantmeasuresnow, crippo84 and dkodgis like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:59 pm

docstox12 wrote:The fact that we can discuss the climate issue without being ridiculed or "cancelled" is a testimony to our site and is what higher education used to be, a rational, non-insulting examination of many issues.ALL points of view were heard and respected back in the day.How the hell can young people ever succeed in the real world when they have only a one sided view as college provides today.I truly feel sorry for them because the real world does not provide "safe spaces" or "pet areas".
I am one of the "ancient old heads" on this site and the 1970's and 1980's were pretty bad for big snowstorms excluding Jan. and Feb. 1978 and Feb. 1983. I am talking 18 inch plus.As Cp said, we have had a great 20 years save for a few stinkers including this one.I have no idea if it is related to climate change. I guess the addition of so many more people on Earth from 1970 to now would increase CO2.
CP is right ,many years from now we will know what the result will be.As I have said many times before, whereI sit now in the LHV I would be underwater at one time, then ,millions of years later, looking up at 100 feet of ice.All way before man with the CO2.So there is that too.If one of Mugs volcanoes blows it's top,THAT will add to CO2 as well.
You youngsters will have to figure this all out, I am just here for the ride now,lol.

So well put Doc.

Even as a slight right of center that believes in human influenced climate change I still would like to slap that sanctimonious know it all Greta Thornberg upside her head. I guess that would get me canceled in todays culture.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

sroc4 and docstox12 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:15 pm

docstox12 wrote:The fact that we can discuss the climate issue without being ridiculed or "cancelled" is a testimony to our site and is what higher education used to be, a rational, non-insulting examination of many issues.ALL points of view were heard and respected back in the day.How the hell can young people ever succeed in the real world when they have only a one sided view as college provides today.I truly feel sorry for them because the real world does not provide "safe spaces" or "pet areas".
CP is right ,many years from now we will know what the result will be.As I have said many times before, where I sit now in the LHV I would be underwater at one time, then ,millions of years later, looking up at 100 feet of ice.  All way before man with the CO2.So there is that too.  If one of Mugs volcanoes blows it's top, THAT will add to CO2 as well.

In no way am I trying to change anyone's minds about anything.  All I ask is that you cont to listen to the various arguments.  If a particular argument is being touted as wrong, and especially if being censored or withheld from the conversation you should pay particular attention to that argument.  Dont take anyone's word for it.  Listen to those who make the argument for an alternative truth; NOT to those who tell you that argument is wrong to determine if there is validity.  

We need to allow all sides to talk.  Yes some crazy ideas might be thrown out there, but people arent stupid.  Eventually the crazy ideas will lose their legs as the truth will be presented.  But all side MUST be allowed to be discussed in an open non partisan way in order to sift out the truth.  The current push to censor certain things is the product of an insecure group.  If their science is so sound then let the other sides speak and let people think for themselves.  Unless you think we the people are too stupid to see through BS.
nywx - Banter Thread 8.0 - Page 13 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tenor.com%2Fimages%2F081cafaedd87d28e1c90fead794d04aa%2Ftenor

sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

So well put Doc.

Even as a slight right of center that believes in human influenced climate change I still would like to slap that sanctimonious know it all Greta Thornberg upside her head. I guess that would get me canceled in todays culture.

CP, I think the majority of people are a little left or a little right of center.Independents pretty much decide elections I think.I am like you a bit to the right but I like Democrat, if that term indicates a little left ideas.I want AMRAK and the Post Office to do well and I don't mind infrastructure spending here in the USA as it helps all of us with safer roads and bridges and puts our people to work with good jobs.As a trader/investor I like Republican ideas of pro business and lower taxes plus better crime control.
You would think this country is bitter, divided and angry, but as i go out and about conducting the business necessary in my life, I meet people of all races and get along great with all of them.A smile and a little joke and respect for another go a long way to smoothing things out.OK, enough of me blabbing away here, back to my snow memories of years gone by,lol.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:29 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:The zero line for January that is .04 degrees below the 1991-2020 normal  as measured against a 30 year normal that keeps increasing every ten years. Measure it against the 1961-1990 average and it is way up.

If we keep measuring against new averages it will always seem like the increases are not that bad we can live with it. Also looking at any individual month is disingenuous.

I appreciate your response we can agree to disagree. I doubt I could change your view and I’m sure you can’t change mine. Neither of us will probably live to see the final outcome, God forbid it is catastrophic, but more likely it will continue to warm and humans will adapt and Winters (an old obsolete term) will still have some snowy seasons with less continuous snow cover and less ice to skate on. I’ll enjoy those that happen and continue to detest seasons like the current one which have no redemption even should a snowy March occur, which by the way I believe for us northerners will happen this year.

For the record I thought I was responding to your post CP when I responded to Docs post. But obv it all still applies. I appreciate you both and your contributions to the weather discussions and to life discussions as well. Regardless of whether we agree on everything or not you both have alot to teach me.

sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

docstox12 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:41 pm

sroc4 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:The zero line for January that is .04 degrees below the 1991-2020 normal  as measured against a 30 year normal that keeps increasing every ten years. Measure it against the 1961-1990 average and it is way up.

For the record I thought I was responding to your post CP when I responded to Docs post. But obv it all still applies.  I appreciate you both and your contributions to the weather discussions and to life discussions as well.  Regardless of whether we agree on everything or not you both have alot to teach me.  

Doc, old timers taught me many things as I spoke with them as my Patients in my 25 year career as a Dentist.These wonderful folks were in their 80's and 90's 30 and 40 years ago, so their life experiences were solid gold to me.I hope your young ones will have the blessing talking to older people as the wisdom they pass down is priceless.
I know you are a fisherman, so I will tell you a story about an old timer I bumped into on the Ramapo River, a local trout stream where I lived in Mahwah NJ.He must have been 80 at the time in 1995, but there he was in waders in the river.First thing he told me was to switch to 4 pound test as the trout could see the 6 pound I was using.Sure enough, after that, I would double my catch.He showed me a few tricks on entering the stream and approaching a hole.This is what I am talking about, the wealth of wisdom old timers have on everything.

docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

sroc4 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:57 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:
sroc4 wrote:

CP you misunderstood me, I said bring it on as in in like mid march instead of a back loaded winter. I am fully aware this is not normal and no that would not be good yet. Sorry it has been such a aweful winter for all of us but your handling it very well! I am proud of you lol, jk. I will be very unhappy if it snows March through April though.  Prime spring garage sale hunting season begins as early as last week March first week April and that's how I source for my ebay store which btw did really well last year in fact I have turned it into a small side business to my full time job, its good extra money though. Alot of work.

And yeah the no icing over of lakes and ponds is crazy, i havent been able to walk on ice (pun intended) since like 2008 or something like that. It is unreal, I remember when I was a kid (40 years so the entire time you were discussing) when it snowed even if flurries almost every day. Granted I lived about 90 miles east on Yonkers but the climate is somewhat different there as crazy as that sounds. I was recently given family photos from when I was little (1-12) and in every single Christmas album it was either snowing, one hard, or there was a good snow pack.  Another thing to note, man I wish I still had those sealed 80s action figures a few of them would now sell for thousands lol. Who knew as a kid. I was a huge Thunder Cats fan. But one year all I wanted was the female one Shetara and she was so hot she could not be found. That was the year Santa went out the window, my mom told me years later she looked so hard but Shetara was just one of the rarest (and still is new she can go for $1200)
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:52 pm

Jman, congrats on the ebay business, good for you!
Wow, you talking about the 80's action figures triggered some circuits from when I was a kid.I had many baseball cards and comics from the late 50's through early 60's.The comics were Little Lulu, Superman, Superboy, the Archie Comics.Must have been a stack a few feet high.My Mom let my then little nephew and niece use them for coloring books,LOL.I also had an original set of the "Mars Attacks" cards from Topps that were pulled because they were extremely violent and gory.Parents went nuts and made them.That set is over 6000 today but again, they were destroyed,lol.I did manage to buy a few repro sets Topps put out in the 1990's for 25 bucks so I have the entire set.
Sorry you never got Shetara.Maybe you will come across one in your travels.
Best of luck for a great profitable business.Maybe you can sell CP one of those small globes you shake and snow drifts down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nAzNkBJ3VQ
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:21 am

docstox12 wrote:Jman, congrats on the ebay business, good for you!
Wow, you talking about the 80's action figures triggered some circuits from when I was a kid.I had many baseball cards and comics from the late 50's through early 60's.The comics were Little Lulu, Superman, Superboy, the Archie Comics.Must have been a stack a few feet high.My Mom let my then little nephew and niece use them for coloring books,LOL.I also had an original set of the "Mars Attacks" cards from Topps that were pulled because they were extremely violent and gory.Parents went nuts and made them.That set is over 6000 today but again, they were destroyed,lol.I did manage to buy a few repro sets Topps put out in the 1990's for 25 bucks so I have the entire set.
Best of luck for a great profitable business.Maybe you can sell CP one of those small globes you shake and snow drifts down.

Oh ya the mars attacks cards were a headline on ebay not to long ago. I saw the pics lol, thats gory? Clearly times have changed. That is def a holy grail to find on my list, you would be surprised what you find at garage sales, people think it is just junk, often it is many times not. You also have to ASK if they have something in particular. My competition found a huge collection of sealed he-man action figures trucks etc. They were not out but when he asked for vintage toys they actually brought him in side and lets just say he paid $500 and made close to 20x that....I too have had some major scores in 2020 I came across two sealed video games that I got for next to nothing and sold for 5k, that was my grail find for two items. I have had plenty of finds totaling thousands but not just two items. Now some people say I am ripping people off, how? I am giving them what they want for a item, is it my fault they did not research? It is like going to buy groceries, if they mismarked a item are you going to say I am sorry that is supposed to be $4.99 not $1.99, thats a how business works, now if it is a kid or I am feeling extra nice I may say no no thats too little and add something on top. Other people know what they have or they think they have gold and they don't, those u just try to nicely walk away.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Coachgriff Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:03 am

It’s nice to see discussion that doesn’t turn into name calling! I am so tired of the two positions in our society…I am right and you are stupid! I have always found trends interesting as a history teacher so I guess I have been naturally drawn to the way weather works since it is about trending patterns and how they eventually break-up. With all that said I think using winter alone to judge climate changes is only part of our shared story…for me the eye opener has been summer…I played baseball through High School, football through college, coached softball and football for well over a decade, and now race bikes…so I am outside from March through Thanksgiving…it has gotten much hotter in summer. The 90 degree day count has grown dramatically in my 43 years. I miss the snow like everyone…but I really dislike the hot and there is so much more of it. I remember the summers of 2-3 90 degree days followed by T-Storms then 2-3 days of low 80’s with tolerable humidity….that pattern is long gone. My brother lives in Florida and we frequently compare temps during the summer…not much of a difference folks. So for me…things are changing…could they change again…absolutely…could they continue to a point of fundamental change…absolutely….I just hope we as a country have the ability to meet these changes. Historically Americans have always been slow to change…that might be problematic given the potential future. Remember the words of Churchill…Americans will always do the right thing….after trying all the wrong things.
Coachgriff
Coachgriff

Back to top Go down

Post by phil155 Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:54 am

Coachgriff wrote:It’s nice to see discussion that doesn’t turn into name calling!  I am so tired of the two positions in our society…I am right and you are stupid!  I have always found trends interesting as a history teacher so I guess I have been naturally drawn to the way weather works since it is about trending patterns and how they eventually break-up.  With all that said I think using winter alone to judge climate changes is only part of our shared story…for me the eye opener has been summer…I played baseball through High School, football through college, coached softball and football for well over a decade, and now race bikes…so I am outside from March through Thanksgiving…it has gotten much hotter in summer.  The 90 degree day count has grown dramatically in my 43 years.  I miss the snow like everyone…but I really dislike the hot and there is so much more of it.  I remember the summers of 2-3 90 degree days followed by T-Storms then 2-3 days of low 80’s with tolerable humidity….that pattern is long gone.  My brother lives in Florida and we frequently compare temps during the summer…not much of a difference folks.  So for me…things are changing…could they change again…absolutely…could they continue to a point of fundamental change…absolutely….I just hope we as a country have the ability to meet these changes.  Historically Americans have always been slow to change…that might be problematic given the potential future.  Remember the words of Churchill…Americans will always do the right thing….after trying all the wrong things.

Race bikes? That is awesome, I race as well trying to focus on hillclimbs and tt's. What type of racing do you do?

phil155
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:03 am

jmanley32 wrote:
docstox12 wrote:Jman, congrats on the ebay business, good for you!

Oh ya the mars attacks cards were a headline on ebay not to long ago. I saw the pics lol, thats gory? Clearly times have changed. That is def a holy grail to find on my list, you would be surprised what you find at garage sales, people think it is just junk, often it is many times not. You also have to ASK if they have something in particular. My competition found a huge collection of sealed he-man action figures trucks etc. They were not out but when he asked for vintage toys they actually brought him in side and lets just say he paid $500 and made close to 20x that....I too have had some major scores in 2020 I came across two sealed video games that I got for next to nothing and sold for 5k, that was my grail find for two items. I have had plenty of finds totaling thousands but not just two items. Now some people say I am ripping people off, how? I am giving them what they want for a item, is it my fault they did not research? It is like going to buy groceries, if they mismarked a item are you going to say I am sorry that is supposed to be $4.99 not $1.99, thats a how business works, now if it is a kid or I am feeling extra nice I may say no no thats too little and add something on top. Other people know what they have or they think they have gold and they don't, those u just try to nicely walk away.

Jman, right, the Mars Cards were considered violent and gory,LOL.Compared to the stuff today, they are like a Sunday School picnic.
Agree on what you say, business is business.With the internet, there are so many sources to check on the value of any item so garage sellers should be doing their DD before setting a price on an item for sale.
On that note, and this is not garage sale related, I have been a coin collector since 1962, and a few years ago, decided to go to a local bank to get a roll of half dollars to see what is circulating these days.The older teller said she didn't have a roll but someone had brought in 20 dollars worth and she had it in the envelope and would I take them.I said sure and when I got home, they all turned out to be 40% silver, so the 20 bucks I paid was really worth 55 for the silver.Here is a teller that has worked in a bank for years and did not recognize that.She could have stuck a 20 in her till to balance out and kept them for herself.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:06 am

Coachgriff wrote:It’s nice to see discussion that doesn’t turn into name calling!  I am so tired of the two positions in our society…I am right and you are stupid!  I have always found trends interesting as a history teacher so I guess I have been naturally drawn to the way weather works since it is about trending patterns and how they eventually break-up.  With all that said I think using winter alone to judge climate changes is only part of our shared story…for me the eye opener has been summer…I played baseball through High School, football through college, coached softball and football for well over a decade, and now race bikes…so I am outside from March through Thanksgiving…it has gotten much hotter in summer.  The 90 degree day count has grown dramatically in my 43 years.  I miss the snow like everyone…but I really dislike the hot and there is so much more of it.  I remember the summers of 2-3 90 degree days followed by T-Storms then 2-3 days of low 80’s with tolerable humidity….that pattern is long gone.  My brother lives in Florida and we frequently compare temps during the summer…not much of a difference folks.  So for me…things are changing…could they change again…absolutely…could they continue to a point of fundamental change…absolutely….I just hope we as a country have the ability to meet these changes.  Historically Americans have always been slow to change…that might be problematic given the potential future.  Remember the words of Churchill…Americans will always do the right thing….after trying all the wrong things.

Welcome here Coachgriff! George Washington said it many years ago, he hated the idea of political parties as they cause hatred and division.When you look around today, he was spot on.
Great Churchill quote.He is in my top 10 of people I admire.One woman who hated him came up to him once and told him "If you were my husband ,I would poison you"! His reply was "If you were my wife ,I would drink it"!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Coachgriff Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:35 am

Mostly Eddy Class TT’s and Crits Phil….loved pure Road Races but they have dried up. I am a pretty competitive Cat B Racer on Zwift as well….my new jam though is Gravel….heaven on wheels. Doc…as far as I concerned Washington was the best we had…so humble…where is that leadership now??? As for the Bulldog you really can’t say enough about his character…he got put in his place so many times and kept coming back better….never quite got his ego in check but was definitely the right guy at the right time….once again…where is that leadership now…. And…Go Eagles!!
Coachgriff
Coachgriff

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:23 am

Sroc being a vet thought I'd share.  My 70 lb dog just had tplo surgery 8 days ago. Had a partial torn CCL (human equivalent is ACL) with grade 2 patellar luxation, no meniscus damage. Surgeon changed the slope from 29 to 2 degrees.  Can already see him bearing weight on the leg.  Just amazing to see.

Anyone interested to see how it works view this youtube.

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by phil155 Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:18 am

Coachgriff wrote:Mostly Eddy Class TT’s and Crits Phil….loved pure Road Races but they have dried up.  I am a pretty competitive Cat B Racer on Zwift as well….my new jam though is Gravel….heaven on wheels.  Doc…as far as I concerned Washington was the best we had…so humble…where is that leadership now??? As for the Bulldog you really can’t say enough about his character…he got put in his place so many times and kept coming back better….never quite got his ego in check but was definitely the right guy at the right time….once again…where is that leadership now…. And…Go Eagles!!

Hey Coach, I may see you as I plan on doing some eddy TT's as a way to get ready for some longer hill climbs like Highpoint and my main goal mt washington. Crit racing is not something I am interested in at all. My goal is to get a 1 hour or less time on Mt. Washington, big ask seeing as my pb is 1:10:09 in 2019

phil155
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:44 am

heehaw453 wrote:Sroc being a vet thought I'd share.  My 70 lb dog just had tplo surgery 8 days ago. Had a partial torn CCL (human equivalent is ACL) with grade 2 patellar luxation, no meniscus damage. Surgeon changed the slope from 29 to 2 degrees.  Can already see him bearing weight on the leg.  Just amazing to see.

The TPLO is an impressive procedure. When talking to clients about that procedure the analogy I use is the ACL is like the E-brake on your car. Normal conformation of the femur to the tibia (thigh bone to the shin bone respectively), is like your car(femur) parked on a San Francisco hill(Tibial Plateau). With an intact ACL(e brake) there is no worry about rolling down the hill; however if it tears now it has a tendency to want to roll down the hill. With the TPLO( tibial-plateau-leveling osteotomy) you are cutting the top third of the tibia and rotating it effectively getting rid of the hill. In other words you are taking the car off the hill and placing it in a flat parking lot. You dont necessarily need the ebrake when your parked on a flat surface.

Just make sure to go real slow with the rehab process. Im sure the surgeon mapped out a week to week, and month to month plan regarding how to go about increasing activity etc. If not I can provide you with a link with that that you can use as a basic guide.

sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:52 am

sroc4 wrote:
heehaw453 wrote:Sroc being a vet thought I'd share.  My 70 lb dog just had tplo surgery 8 days ago. Had a partial torn CCL (human equivalent is ACL) with grade 2 patellar luxation, no meniscus damage. Surgeon changed the slope from 29 to 2 degrees.  Can already see him bearing weight on the leg.  Just amazing to see.

The TPLO is an impressive procedure.  When talking to clients about that procedure the analogy I use is the ACL is like the E-brake on your car.  Normal conformation of the femur to the tibia (thigh bone to the shin bone respectively), is like your car(femur) parked on a San Francisco hill(Tibial Plateau). With an intact ACL(e brake) there is no worry about rolling down the hill; however if it tears now it has a tendency to want to roll down the hill.  With the TPLO( tibial-plateau-leveling osteotomy) you are cutting the top third of the tibia and rotating it effectively getting rid of the hill.  In other words you are taking the car off the hill and placing it in a flat parking lot.  You dont necessarily need the ebrake when your parked on a flat surface.  

Just make sure to go real slow with the rehab process.  Im sure the surgeon mapped out a week to week, and month to month plan regarding how to go about increasing activity etc.  If not I can provide you with a link with that that you can use as a basic guide.  
Thanks for that!  yep the weekly exercise guide was provided and called the go really slow part out.  problem is the dog is 7 years old and still wants to bolt like a 2 year old at times  Shocked  but yeah we're being careful and big milestone will be the cone coming off in 3-4 days.

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:54 am

heehaw453 wrote:
sroc4 wrote:

The TPLO is an impressive procedure.  When talking to clients about that procedure the analogy I use is the ACL is like the E-brake on your car.  Normal conformation of the femur to the tibia (thigh bone to the shin bone respectively), is like your car(femur) parked on a San Francisco hill(Tibial Plateau). With an intact ACL(e brake) there is no worry about rolling down the hill; however if it tears now it has a tendency to want to roll down the hill.  With the TPLO( tibial-plateau-leveling osteotomy) you are cutting the top third of the tibia and rotating it effectively getting rid of the hill.  In other words you are taking the car off the hill and placing it in a flat parking lot.  You dont necessarily need the ebrake when your parked on a flat surface.  

Just make sure to go real slow with the rehab process.  Im sure the surgeon mapped out a week to week, and month to month plan regarding how to go about increasing activity etc.  If not I can provide you with a link with that that you can use as a basic guide.  
Thanks for that!  yep the weekly exercise guide was provided and called the go really slow part out.  problem is the dog is 7 years old and still wants to bolt like a 2 year old at times  Shocked  but yeah we're being careful and big milestone will be the cone coming off in 3-4 days.

Ask for a sedative ie: Trazadone. You're better off keeping him stoned and quiet then having to deal with implant failure.

sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

heehaw453 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content