NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banter Thread 8.0

+44
Carvin
Bkdude
Frozen.9
kalleg
JT33
WinterColdandSnowisamyth
aiannone
phil155
Coachgriff
lglickman1
mmanisca
MattyICE
2004blackwrx
Scullybutcher
TheAresian
essexcountypete
mikeypizano
RJB8525
Radz
brownie
nutleyblizzard
Grselig
richb521
Math23x7
dolphins222
CPcantmeasuresnow
crippo84
Quietace
rb924119
heehaw453
Irish
Dunnzoo
GreyBeard
weatherwatchermom
frank 638
jmanley32
dkodgis
billg315
sroc4
amugs
SENJsnowman
Frank_Wx
HectorO
docstox12
48 posters

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Winter - Banter Thread 8.0 - Page 33 Empty Re: Banter Thread 8.0

Post by HectorO Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:43 am

With the bigger body of waters on coastal states, it's becoming harder for this area to see any snow in December with the waters being so warm due to longer summers. It really does take a perfect combination.

HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:38 pm

Thank you all!!!!!!

Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:51 pm

Some good snow fortune soon could go a ways for December sentiment.

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

dkodgis likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:04 pm

I forgot to say up the road a few acres down, my neighbor’s Forsythia is blooming. Lightly but blooming. Surprising
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:30 am

and while I always thought it was too cold in Dec to grow grass, in my town a new gas station opened even while the crew was landscaping a couple of weeks ago, putting down seed and hay. I thought it could not grow in these temps but about two weeks have gone by and there is plenty of grass. It is a sunny spot but go figure. Grass can grow in the 30's. What's next? Grass will be growing on a busy street?
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

docstox12, CPcantmeasuresnow, kalleg and jmanley32 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:53 am

dkodgis wrote:and while I always thought it was too cold in Dec to grow grass, in my town a new gas station opened even while the crew was landscaping a couple of weeks ago, putting down seed and hay. I thought it could not grow in these temps but about two weeks have gone by and there is plenty of grass. It is a sunny spot but go figure. Grass can grow in the 30's.  What's next? Grass will  be growing on a busy street?
it’s crazy I never remember seeing Greengrass in December roses. Still on the bush and spring flowers are blooming on a little bushes and trees in my area. What is this Easter or Christmas?🤣🤣

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:13 pm

A high of 57° in Caribou Maine tomorrow with heavy rain. Yes that's Caribou Maine as in 47° north latitude.

I know the 14 day forecast, looks horrible, but will we ever reach Rockbottom and start to look better? I have serious doubts. It always seems like that pattern change, we all look for is always two weeks away.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

docstox12 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:17 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:A high of 57° in Caribou Maine tomorrow with heavy rain. Yes that's Caribou Maine as in 47° north latitude.

I know the 14 day forecast, looks horrible, but will we ever reach Rockbottom and start to look better? I have serious doubts. It always seems like that pattern change, we all look for is always two weeks away.
I agree CP, I am no longer buying into this LR stuff, until we are within 5-10 days of something I am not buying it. Tonight could have been spic and as frank said makes him want to puke thinking about it. Lets pray something can transpire at least for your area. I have already made peace with that I may never see snow agai ndown here (meaningful snow). So why the wind stuff, its all I have a s asecondary to snow, put them both together and I will be a kid eating the candy in the candy shop lol. Hang in there buddy.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

docstox12 and CPcantmeasuresnow like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:04 pm

January 3rd godzilla on today's 12z GFS valid for JAN 3rd bananadude bounce bananadude bounce

Winter - Banter Thread 8.0 - Page 33 Gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_64

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

kalleg likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:21 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:January 3rd godzilla on today's 12z GFS valid for JAN 3rd bananadude bounce bananadude bounce

Winter - Banter Thread 8.0 - Page 33 Gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_64

Even though the pattern has been rough the last few months with no snow, there are a few things good in place.This last storm showed the GOM in business.I think someone mentioned this is a characteristic of a nino situation.This rainstorm was a classic Miller A .The map Frank posted here is possible if the cold air is in place, IMO.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:50 pm

jmanley32 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:A high of 57° in Caribou Maine tomorrow with heavy rain. Yes that's Caribou Maine as in 47° north latitude.

I agree CP, I am no longer buying into this LR stuff, until we are within 5-10 days of something I am not buying it. Tonight could have been spic and as frank said makes him want to puke thinking about it. Lets pray something can transpire at least for your area. I have already made peace with that I may never see snow agai ndown here (meaningful snow). So why the wind stuff, its all I have a s asecondary to snow, put them both together and I will be a kid eating the candy in the candy shop lol. Hang in there buddy.

"I have already made peace with that I may never see snow agai ndown here (meaningful snow). "

Really?You think we WILL NEVER SEE MEANIGFUL SNOW?? This is very dramatic and I'd bet you are be dead wrong in a months time, actually before then. What is meaningful? 3", 6"? I know the LR looks glorious only to have it change as we move closer, its frustrating I get it.
I have faith in the MJO tropical convenction of where this is setting up. Heck, we had no true torch that everyone was harping about on SM get out the shorts and t shirts. W was it above normal yes, was it a torch I'd argue against it. Saturday eeh yesterday ehh 48* at 2PM then I hit 53* at 9PM. MJO phaeses 4-6 and I had low temps in teh 20's for 4 straight days in this regime, that shold not be in those phases but it happened.

The Monster El Nino of 15-16 resulted from the solar maximum cycles of the past ~ four solar cycles. The atmosphere and earth has a way of evening tihngs out and releasing, venting this oceaninc heat release that takes time. I would summize we are still venting this just like Tambora volcanoe of 1814 took almost 5 years to rectify the ash and gasses in the atmosphere and that was one pimple on the earths surface that blew. Pinatuba took 2 years and was about 1/3 of Tombora. Hunga Tonga od 2022 probably 3-5 years for all the water vapor to be rectified as well.

This is incredible cold in China

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

docstox12 and SENJsnowman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:10 pm

Well if there is no meaningful snow, I propose Jon walk down the Sea Isle City boardwalk (because they have beer and hot dogs at the beach bar) in his birthday suit, and I will walk with him and invite our many members to come along. We won’t have meaningful snow. We will have meaningful eye pollution.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

docstox12, jmanley32 and dkodgis like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:00 pm

https://livefromiceland.is/webcams/fagradalsfjall?fbclid=IwAR0Io75EkIzGXZMXtsQXEuQ10FOGk01l2CRfZr-L9Wb4jQXr86arcX0-s24

Eruption in Iceland
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

kalleg likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:18 pm

amugs wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:

"I have already made peace with that I may never see snow agai ndown here (meaningful snow). "

Really?You think we WILL NEVER SEE MEANIGFUL SNOW?? This is very dramatic and I'd bet you are be dead wrong in a months time, actually before then. What is meaningful? 3", 6"? I know the LR looks glorious only to have it change as we move closer, its frustrating I get it.
I have faith in the MJO tropical convenction of where this is setting up. Heck, we had no true torch that everyone was harping about on SM get out the shorts and t shirts. W was it above normal yes, was it a torch I'd argue against it. Saturday eeh yesterday ehh 48* at 2PM then I hit 53* at 9PM. MJO phaeses 4-6 and I had low temps in teh 20's for 4 straight days in this regime, that shold not be in those phases but it happened.

The Monster El Nino of 15-16 resulted from the solar maximum cycles of the past ~ four solar cycles. The atmosphere and earth has a way of evening tihngs out and releasing, venting this oceaninc heat release that takes time. I would summize we are still venting this just like Tambora volcanoe of 1814 took almost 5 years to rectify the ash and gasses in the atmosphere and that was one pimple on the earths surface that blew. Pinatuba took 2 years and was about 1/3 of Tombora. Hunga Tonga od 2022 probably 3-5 years for all the water vapor to be rectified as well.

This is incredible cold in China

Clearly you did not get my sarcasm but also bitterness on the past winters. I am always hoping but we saw 5 inches last year. Meaningful to me would be 3-6 yes (in this day and age) and more than once, anything more is giggity (Agodzilla or more.) I just think it will be hard for the coastal plain this year IMO. Also note I said "I" meaning IMBY not everyone, inland will likely do great if we can get a storm which with the pattern of storms this year will happen.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

amugs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:29 am

Winter - Banter Thread 8.0 - Page 33 Img_2101
Took 7 hours to get him home safely!! I hope everyone who has loved ones traveling gets them home safely!! Was surprised driving how many places that normally did not get water had flooding...even hours after rain had stopped..
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Frank_Wx, sroc4, docstox12, amugs, Dunnzoo, 1190ftalt and GreyBeard like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:23 pm

New Jersey from the storm. Wowzer

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1A0xOGriiV/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

GreyBeard likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:39 pm

sroc4 wrote:New Jersey from the storm. Wowzer

Holy crow looks like those swells out in Hawaii.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:41 pm

weatherwatchermom wrote:Winter - Banter Thread 8.0 - Page 33 Img_2101
Took 7 hours to get him home safely!! I hope everyone who has loved ones traveling gets them home safely!! Was surprised driving how many places that normally did not get water had flooding...even hours after rain had stopped..

Great news, Mom, glad all went well! Credit the rail system for safe travel with the bad conditions they had to work with!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

weatherwatchermom likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:44 pm

Pretty impressive for New Jersey, but this place is in a class of its own (Nazaré, Portugal) Shocked

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

sroc4, docstox12 and weatherwatchermom like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:11 pm

GreyBeard wrote:

Pretty impressive for New Jersey, but this place is in a class of its own (Nazaré, Portugal) Shocked
There is a great series called 100 foot wave..about the first surfers to surf Nazare
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

GreyBeard likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:35 pm

weatherwatchermom wrote:
GreyBeard wrote:

There is a great series called 100 foot wave..about the first surfers to surf Nazare

I watched that series weatherwatchermom. It was great. I wonder how the first person who looked at those waves said to themselves "Yeah, I can ride that". Very Happy Glad to see your worries are over in regard to your son's travels. It's a good thing he didn't choose a school in New Hampshire. My God just saw some video from up there. There's probably some guy with a kayak somewhere saying "Yeah, I can ride that"! Happy Holiday's santa

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/new-hampshire-rivers-turn-torrential-after-heavy-rain/vi-AA1lJRLz?ocid=socialshare&cvid=1e1a7ef607d44a19ba867239bbc40823&ei=51

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:18 am

GreyBeard wrote:
weatherwatchermom wrote:
GreyBeard wrote:

I watched that series weatherwatchermom. It was great. I wonder how the first person who looked at those waves said to themselves "Yeah, I can ride that". Very Happy Glad to see your worries are over in regard to your son's travels. It's a good thing he didn't choose a school in New Hampshire. My God just saw some video from up there. There's probably some guy with a kayak somewhere saying "Yeah, I can ride that"! Happy Holiday's santa

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/new-hampshire-rivers-turn-torrential-after-heavy-rain/vi-AA1lJRLz?ocid=socialshare&cvid=1e1a7ef607d44a19ba867239bbc40823&ei=51

Yes I saw the new Hampshire videos that was totally wild! And probably some nut would like to ride that ..lol
Thank you I am so happy he and his roommate arrived home safely...son to warm house filled with his favorite foods . Unfortunately his roommate did not fare as well as of last night his family home still did not have power..up in Maine..🙏 today is a better day for them! Merry Christmas 🎄
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:08 pm

Awards for observations lol

"US National Weather Service New York NY
6 minutes ago
·
Yesterday, meteorologist Joe Pollina and the Eastern Region Observation Program Leader Christopher Stachelski presented awards to a few of our volunteer observers in the COOP network. The staff of the Newark Water Department at the Charlotteburg Reservoir in New Jersey and the staff of the Central Park Conservancy (@Central Park, NYC) both received the World Meteorological Organization's Centennial Observing Station Award which is awarded to to stations with high quality observations for more than 100 years of observations."

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

sroc4, docstox12 and kalleg like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:14 pm

I heard CP was the one to put the medal over their necks

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

sroc4, docstox12, amugs and billg315 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:33 pm

Dunnzoo wrote:Awards for observations lol

"US National Weather Service New York NY
6 minutes ago
 ·
Yesterday, meteorologist Joe Pollina and the Eastern Region Observation Program Leader Christopher Stachelski presented awards to a few of our volunteer observers in the COOP network. The staff of the Newark Water Department at the Charlotteburg Reservoir in New Jersey and the staff of the Central Park Conservancy (@Central Park, NYC) both received the World Meteorological Organization's Centennial Observing Station Award which is awarded to to stations with high quality observations for more than 100 years of observations."

Central Park with it's high quality observations,LMAO!!! I hope to God CP doesn't see that. he will blow a gasket!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:34 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:I heard CP was the one to put the medal over their necks

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

The Central Park guy CP would strangle with the medal cord,LOL.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

weatherwatchermom and billg315 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:46 am

Got to see some lightly snow covered areas in PA on my way to the old mid west where my girlfriend is from for the holidays. My concern this winter is the ability for the east area to maintain a long stretch of cold. It doesn't seem like it was too long ago that not only did we get measurable snow in December but there was enough cold to keep a snowpack around after the event.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum