NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banter Thread 8.0

+44
Carvin
Bkdude
Frozen.9
kalleg
JT33
WinterColdandSnowisamyth
aiannone
phil155
Coachgriff
lglickman1
mmanisca
MattyICE
2004blackwrx
Scullybutcher
TheAresian
essexcountypete
mikeypizano
RJB8525
Radz
brownie
nutleyblizzard
Grselig
richb521
Math23x7
dolphins222
CPcantmeasuresnow
crippo84
Quietace
rb924119
heehaw453
Irish
Dunnzoo
GreyBeard
weatherwatchermom
frank 638
jmanley32
dkodgis
billg315
sroc4
amugs
SENJsnowman
Frank_Wx
HectorO
docstox12
48 posters

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

nywx - Banter Thread 8.0 - Page 38 Empty Re: Banter Thread 8.0

Post by heehaw453 Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:32 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:A guide in how to approach this weekends Wall event.

If you're 35 miles or more north of NYC expect to be in the cutoff area for a significant event. Be happy with 2-4 inches should it miraculously occur. Expect south of you to be buried and be happy for the snow deprived there.

If you live on the  coastal plain, including NYC:
Expect mostly rain with some snow that never accumulates past one inch keeping the snow drought record in place. Expect those to the north of you to be buried.

If you're on the Jersey shore expect nothing but rain with a period of snow at the end that accumulates a half inch on grassy surfaces. Keep the senjsnowman attitude and appreciate it as the largest snow you've seen in two years.

If you're north of I84 expect a seasonally cold dry weekend.

Follow the above and you will have an enjoyable weekend no matter what occurs. Winter no longer exists so don't wish for things that no longer exist. It's counter productive to good mental health.

Updates tomorrow.

Absolutely classic. lol! lol!

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

sroc4, CPcantmeasuresnow and nancy-j-s like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:38 am

Clearly CP is ahead of the class and has already moved on to steps 8, 9, and 10 of the winter storm tracking grieving list. It’s ok, CP, there’s only one way to go once you hit rock bottom Wink

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

sroc4, docstox12, amugs and heehaw453 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:55 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:A guide in how to approach this weekends Wall event.

If you're 35 miles or more north of NYC expect to be in the cutoff area for a significant event. Be happy with 2-4 inches should it miraculously occur. Expect south of you to be buried and be happy for the snow deprived there.

If you live on the  coastal plain, including NYC:
Expect mostly rain with some snow that never accumulates past one inch keeping the snow drought record in place. Expect those to the north of you to be buried.

If you're on the Jersey shore expect nothing but rain with a period of snow at the end that accumulates a half inch on grassy surfaces. Keep the senjsnowman attitude and appreciate it as the largest snow you've seen in two years.

If you're north of I84 expect a seasonally cold dry weekend.

Follow the above and you will have an enjoyable weekend no matter what occurs. Winter no longer exists so don't wish for things that no longer exist. It's counter productive to good mental health.

Updates tomorrow.

Just so friggin' hilarious!

lol! lol! lol! lol!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:28 pm

I endorse CP's approach. As a general rule in this world I keep my expectations low for just about everything at this point, so I don't see why it should be any different with snow. Laughing
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

essexcountypete and heehaw453 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:36 pm

Earthquake in Queens, anyone feel it? 1.7 magnitude at about 5:45 this morning.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us6000m14e/executive

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:31 pm

Thank you CP! I find it to be a distinct honor and privilege to be the named embodiment of Jersey Shore snow deprivation. Lol.

I had already realized that for the Shore (from Sandy Hook down to Cape May), this is NOT our storm. If you look at the guidance over the past three days, HeeHaw’s bookend results are pretty apparent, we are bookended between rain and 2-4” max. If the storm favors a southern/eastern solution, the Shore will ‘cash in’ with 2-3” on the back end after the bulk of the precip comes in as rain. If the store tracks further north/west, we will likely be all rain. Perhaps the solution figures to be in the middle, which will be that slushy inch or so on grassy surfaces.

The usual late-game shift to the SE probably won’t help us much either, as the last 24 hours has shifted slightly N and W, which means we are already chasing the middle of the bookends. Add to that the marginal air mass along the beaches, and this is looking for us like a very near miss, but a miss nonetheless. Would love to be wrong, but just not feeling the good juju on this one.

The good news is that we are still VERY early in the season and that there is a very optimistic outlook for the region moving forward. And it does look the northern coastal portions, especially just N of NYC and the north side of LI should do better with the r/s line than the Jersey coast.

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:14 pm

SENJ, way too early yet IMO.Remember a few days before the Boxing Day Blizzard of 2010 when they were saying maybe 1 to 3 with an OTS track? Tri State snowstorms throw late curveballs often,LOL.
If this was Friday, I would be more convinced of the track this takes.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

weatherwatchermom and SENJsnowman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:20 pm

Ummm ..............Houston............. if this happens................

Janet no but as I stated earlier Reality Check is we are ramping up and will see more and stronger such natural extreme type of events as well.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:13 pm

Here you go extreme and bizarre natural events.
Wait for the Solar Eclipse on April 8th and thereafter and the Planetary Square alignment in October of the four gas giants with Mothership Earth in the middle.

https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/union/small-nyc-earthquake-felt-by-north-jersey-residents-usgs/

amugs
amugs

kalleg likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:37 pm

Did anyone else on Con Edision electric/gas see a almost doubling of their bill for Dec? I am outraged. How are we ever supposed to afford to live if jobs give no pay increases and costs skyrocket, 100k should be poverty level imo, its not livable with children in NYC area, and even my sister who makes more than that is struggling in Baldwinsville way upstate.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:02 pm

jmanley32 wrote:Did anyone else on Con Edision electric/gas see a almost doubling of their bill for Dec? I am outraged. How are we ever supposed to afford to live if jobs give no pay increases and costs skyrocket, 100k should be poverty level imo, its not livable with children in NYC area, and even my sister who makes more than that is struggling in Baldwinsville way upstate.

Total inflation up close to 20% over two years jman.Last winter Rockland Electric who provides my gas and electric raised the rates over D,J,F and March.
The consequences of the spiraling debt in this country is a dollar that is devaluing rapidly.You now need 1.84 to buy what 1.00 did in the year 2000.You hit the nail on the head about 100K in NYC area, after federal, state, city and FICA, you are left with not enough to get by on.As a result, 63% of people are living week to week.If you don't have capital to invest to stay ahead of this dollar devaluation, it is not easy.
I found this from Con Edison for you, maybe it would help:

https://www.coned.com/en/about-us/media-center/news/2023/08-17/coned-urges-low-income-customers-to-enroll-in-the-eap
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:05 pm

docstox12 wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:Did anyone else on Con Edision electric/gas see a almost doubling of their bill for Dec? I am outraged. How are we ever supposed to afford to live if jobs give no pay increases and costs skyrocket, 100k should be poverty level imo, its not livable with children in NYC area, and even my sister who makes more than that is struggling in Baldwinsville way upstate.

Total inflation up close to 20% over two years jman.Last winter Rockland Electric who provides my gas and electric raised the rates over D,J,F and March.
The consequences of the spiraling debt in this country is a dollar that is devaluing rapidly.You now need 1.84 to buy what 1.00 did in the year 2000.You hit the nail on the head about 100K in NYC area, after federal, state, city and FICA, you are left with not enough to get by on.As a result, 63% of people are living week to week.If you don't have capital to invest to stay ahead of this dollar devaluation, it is not easy.

https://www.coned.com/en/about-us/media-center/news/2023/08-17/coned-urges-low-income-customers-to-enroll-in-the-eap
False alarm, I missed Nov payment opps. It was actually less than last month. Fwef, and they arent planning to shut me off.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:11 am

[quote="docstox12"]

But, but but the economy is strong and surging, yeah right on!!
66 different taxes of us and they keep growing and the gov't grows to an unsustainable level. 1T in debt payments and 40% of student debt, loans have not been paid since it started again in Nov and Dec. Who's bailing this conundrum out? You and I peeps in the hail of we need to save the economy - ala 2008 and COVID printing $ BS. Read so much and have so much it made my head spins to how corrupt they are and we are the pawns, minions that are told what and when to do it and be good citizens for the good of the people as they spend and give my and your hard-earned tax dollars away like water from fire hydrant on a hot summer day in da Bronx back in the day!!
Wait till the crash when the FED makes a bonehead move or two or three and exasperates the issues. Many are fearful of this happening and the haters are going to hate but it’s got to happen to flush out the crater we have dug in all markets with false money and the imaginary economic vehicle invented called.... credit!!
Markets are manipulated so when they start to pull money off the table its time.

Anyway this is incredible!!

amugs
amugs

sroc4 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:01 pm

amugs wrote:
docstox12 wrote:

But, but but the economy is strong and surging, yeah right on!!
66 different taxes of us and they keep growing and the gov't grows to an unsustainable level. 1T in debt payments and 40% of student debt, loans have not been paid since it started again in Nov and Dec. Who's bailing this conundrum out? You and I peeps in the hail of we need to save the economy - ala 2008 and COVID printing $ BS. Read so much and have so much it made my head spins to how corrupt they are and we are the pawns, minions that are told what and when to do it and be good citizens for the good of the people as they spend and give my and your hard-earned tax dollars away like water from fire hydrant on a hot summer day in da Bronx back in the day!!
Wait till the crash when the FED makes a bonehead move or two or three and exasperates the issues. Many are fearful of this happening and the haters are going to hate but it’s got to happen to flush out the crater we have dug in all markets with false money and the imaginary economic vehicle invented called.... credit!!
Markets are manipulated so when they start to pull money off the table its time.

Anyway this is incredible!!

Simply stated, Mugs, taking the dollar off the last vestige of the gold standard in 1971 has allowed these profligate spending politicians, of both parties, the ability to spend without a leash (gold standard) to bring them to heel.Debt in 1971 was under a trillion, now it is 34.They have adopted what is called MMT or Modern Monetary Theory, simply stated, a hare brained scheme that claims government debt is no consequence as long as it is issued in the reserve currency (the dollar).Can't wait to see how that all plays out.

That fog bow is amazing! Learned something new meteorology wise today!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:59 pm

^^^^^ Brilliant Doc always the voice of simplicity and reson!!

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:35 am

at this point i dont care what happens sounds like this will be all rain for me. i just want to not be in horrible pain with a negative reaction to cortizone shot cuz it should not hurt this much since yesterday 8am. sore yess a 12 out of 10 no.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:03 pm

I think the Pacific NW has better weather than we do😂.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

essexcountypete and heehaw453 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SkiSeadooJoe Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:13 pm

I think I am just going to fire up my pressure washer and see if it turns into a snow gun the next time temps fall into the low 20s, anyone ever try that? Smile
SkiSeadooJoe
SkiSeadooJoe

docstox12, HectorO, kalleg, rb924119 and essexcountypete like this post

Back to top Go down

nywx - Banter Thread 8.0 - Page 38 Empty Well a 4.5 was felt today in southern california, they predicted a 5.0 arounf Jan 2/3rd incredible....

Post by Frozen.9 Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:54 pm

amugs wrote:Ummm ..............Houston............. if this happens................

Janet no but as I stated earlier Reality Check is we are ramping up and will see more and stronger such natural extreme type of events as well.

Frozen.9

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:25 pm

SkiSeadooJoe wrote:I think I am just going to fire up my pressure washer and see if it turns into a snow gun the next time temps fall into the low 20s, anyone ever try that? Smile

This made me laugh so freakin’ hard hahahaha well done!

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

SkiSeadooJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2004blackwrx Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:49 pm

SkiSeadooJoe wrote:I think I am just going to fire up my pressure washer and see if it turns into a snow gun the next time temps fall into the low 20s, anyone ever try that? Smile
Please share a video

2004blackwrx
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:55 am

Mornings like this before a snowstorm brought back memories for me of back in the day.Back then, the weather forecast included the now extinct term "clouds lowering and thickening during the day" which is exactly what is happening here today.Two snowstorms come to mind, first the Dec 11-12 1960.That day, I watched the filtered sun gradually disappear, as well as the small patch of blue in the NW sky gradually get taken over by dark grey Stratus clouds.The first flakes started around 3 PM.Then there was the Feb. 1969 "Mayor Lindsay" snowstorm that dropped 19 inches in my area of Fort Lee NJ.I was working at my High School part time job delivering flowers for the local florist and while on the road and in the shop, watched the "lowering and thickening" clouds.Went with some buddies that night to a High School dance in Oradell,NJ, and when driving back home around 11:30, you could see the first flakes in the headlights.No computers back then so no radar.The best you could do is the weather every half hour on the radio or at the night news.A few years after this I got a "weather cube" radio that ran 24/7 with the NOOA forecasts which to me, was nirvana,LOL.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155348405480?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=155348405480&targetid=4580840333842800&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=603247655&mkgroupid=1235852063340218&rlsatarget=pla-4580840333842800&abcId=9316139&merchantid=51291&msclkid=145b3f2dbddf106ab95e5ab4e6708c2d
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

SkiSeadooJoe, kalleg, rb924119, brownie, weatherwatchermom and billg315 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:09 am

docstox12 wrote:Mornings like this before a snowstorm brought back memories for me of back in the day.Back then, the weather forecast included the now extinct term "clouds lowering and thickening during the day" which is exactly what is happening here today.Two snowstorms come to mind, first the Dec 11-12 1960.That day, I watched the filtered sun gradually disappear, as well as the small patch of blue in the NW sky gradually get taken over by dark grey Stratus clouds.The first flakes started around 3 PM.Then there was the Feb. 1969 "Mayor Lindsay" snowstorm that dropped 19 inches in my area of Fort Lee NJ.I was working at my High School part time job delivering flowers for the local florist and while on the road and in the shop, watched the "lowering and thickening" clouds.Went with some buddies that night to a High School dance in Oradell,NJ, and when driving back home around 11:30, you could see the first flakes in the headlights.No computers back then so no radar.The best you could do is the weather every half hour on the radio or at the night news.A few years after this I got a "weather cube" radio that ran 24/7 with the NOOA forecasts which to me, was nirvana,LOL.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155348405480?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=155348405480&targetid=4580840333842800&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=603247655&mkgroupid=1235852063340218&rlsatarget=pla-4580840333842800&abcId=9316139&merchantid=51291&msclkid=145b3f2dbddf106ab95e5ab4e6708c2d

Great memories doc. I posted in the storm thread about the cold air and thick gray clouds this morning and how it was 100% a snow morning. Like you when I went outside this morning it just had that feel that brought me back to those days when I was in school and snow was expected to start during the day and you hoped for an early dismissal. You'd come out that morning and it looked and felt exactly like it did when i went to my car this morning. I grew up in the Philly area, and since you only got news at 5, 6 and 11 p.m. on TV, and we didn't have the Weather Channel yet, your best bet for weather info was KYW 1060 the "All news, all the time" radio station in the city (which had a news ticker sound constantly in the background that honestly I miss lol). They would update the forecast every half-hour or so and during big storms would have a live update from Accu Weather (which was relatively new back then). In 6th grade I was able to convince my mom to purchase for me a NOAA Weather Radio (your weather cube radio!). It was a 24/7 broadcast from the NWS in Philly/Mount Holly. It even had an alarm on it that would sound when a weather warning was issued. I felt like I had the inside track on the weather from everyone else in the city. lol
billg315
billg315

docstox12, kalleg, rb924119 and brownie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:14 am

Yes, billg, with the weather cube you were light years ahead of all the sources you mentioned,lol.Best gift a weather nut could ever get!
We had 1010 WINS back then that used to be a rock and roll station (Murray The K,LOL) back in the 50's with that ticker tape sound too,LOL.
Amazing what we have now with the computer and radar!
Nowcast time, lets see where we go with this snowstorm.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

kalleg likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SkiSeadooJoe Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:59 am

docstox12 wrote:Mornings like this before a snowstorm brought back memories for me of back in the day.Back then, the weather forecast included the now extinct term "clouds lowering and thickening during the day" which is exactly what is happening here today.Two snowstorms come to mind, first the Dec 11-12 1960.That day, I watched the filtered sun gradually disappear, as well as the small patch of blue in the NW sky gradually get taken over by dark grey Stratus clouds.The first flakes started around 3 PM.Then there was the Feb. 1969 "Mayor Lindsay" snowstorm that dropped 19 inches in my area of Fort Lee NJ.I was working at my High School part time job delivering flowers for the local florist and while on the road and in the shop, watched the "lowering and thickening" clouds.Went with some buddies that night to a High School dance in Oradell,NJ, and when driving back home around 11:30, you could see the first flakes in the headlights.No computers back then so no radar.The best you could do is the weather every half hour on the radio or at the night news.A few years after this I got a "weather cube" radio that ran 24/7 with the NOOA forecasts which to me, was nirvana,LOL.

nywx - Banter Thread 8.0 - Page 38 20240110
Still got mine, I remember it can also tap into airplane communications.
SkiSeadooJoe
SkiSeadooJoe

brownie and weatherwatchermom like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:10 am

SkiSeadooJoe, LOVE IT!!

If I remember it takes a square 9 volt battery on the bottom.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:37 am

There was a choice of a couple frequencies, yes? You clicked through to find yours
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum