NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Long Range Thread 6.0

+47
snow247
dkodgis
Sferra01
Fededle22
Sunflowers138
mako460
weatherwatchermom
Philliesfan
Scullybutcher
Radz
lglickman1
Sanchize06
oldtimer
essexcountypete
Yschiff
chief7
rb924119
Grselig
aiannone
mancave25
NjWeatherGuy
jimv45
elkiehound
devsman
RJB8525
billg315
dsvinos
SNOW MAN
crippo84
sabamfa
HectorO
Quietace
Analog96
carvin1079
SoulSingMG
Dunnzoo
CPcantmeasuresnow
docstox12
nutleyblizzard
sroc4
Snow88
algae888
Frank_Wx
skinsfan1177
amugs
jmanley32
Math23x7
51 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 26 Empty Re: Official Long Range Thread 6.0

Post by rb924119 Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:39 pm

Yeah, I'm too blame for that new rule too. Sorry guys :/ I just think it's fun seeing these ridiculous outcomes and thinking "What if?", ya know? Anyway, not trying to ruffle any feathers, but have you all looked the 500 Spaghetti plots of all ensembles for this time frame? I just want to mention, ONLY for the sake of creating a good discussion, that if you look at them for this period, take notice of how many individual ensemble members from all camps (GFS/CMC/EURO) show support for a much more amplified system. There are a good portion of members that are much more amplified with the H5 flow than the means and even Operationals (except the CMC lol), which would suggest an increased likelihood of a more amplified system and possibly more precipitation **of some form**. Idk, I think for all three camps to be showing this degree of relative agreement with something like this, we need to watch it very carefully. Just my opinion.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 26 Empty Re: Official Long Range Thread 6.0

Post by Guest Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:40 pm

sroc4 wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:Sounds like some of the forecasters on here are starting to ease up on their confidence for a snowstorm late weekend/early next week!!   FWIW NWS upton insists on snow for our area with about 1.25 QPF area wide.  

I wouldnt let my lack of discussion be mistaken for lack of confidence.  Syo I would think after the last debacle you would appreciate the tempered excitement  until we got a little closer.  Cant win.  

I do like this approach better. I wasn't trying to rile up anyone. Why is everyone so sensitive? I was trying to be optimistic by putting the NWS statement in there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:03 pm

rb924119 wrote:Yeah, I'm too blame for that new rule too. Sorry guys :/ I just think it's fun seeing these ridiculous outcomes and thinking "What if?", ya know? Anyway, not trying to ruffle any feathers, but have you all looked the 500 Spaghetti plots of all ensembles for this time frame? I just want to mention, ONLY for the sake of creating a good discussion, that if you look at them for this period, take notice of how many individual ensemble members from all camps (GFS/CMC/EURO) show support for a much more amplified system. There are a good portion of members that are much more amplified with the H5 flow than the means and even Operationals (except the CMC lol), which would suggest an increased likelihood of a more amplified system and possibly more precipitation **of some form**. Idk, I think for all three camps to be showing this degree of relative agreement with something like this, we need to watch it very carefully. Just my opinion.

You're not too blame at all. I just think it's a good rule and will help temper expectations a bit. And yes, the ensembles are impressive for the system next week. This storm has my attention for sure. I need to take time and analyze the type if pattern we're working with. From the surface, it looks ok. Not great. I was more excited about the pattern we had with the blizzard that never came to be besides LI/NE. That was a good example of just because we have a good pattern doesn't automatically mean we'll see a snowstorm. The good pattern just helps raise that probability. Maybe this time around a so-so pattern will bring us a widespread Roidzilla. You just never know this winter.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:32 pm

The weekend into early next week setup is quite intriguing, but leaves me skeptical at the same time. What I'm trying to wrap my finger around is whether the overrunning or the coastal storm will be the main event. Perhaps even both.

1. There's an impressive east-based block in the Atlantic. Also, we see duo trough's in the Pacific allowing for heights to rise over the west coast.

2. The arctic front is draped along the upper Midwest into the Northeast with the PV just east of the Hudson pressing down on it, bringing overrunning precip into our area with waves of H5 energy riding along the front.

3. By Monday, once the western ridge amplifies, we see the northern stream energy dig into the trough and a coastal storm tries to develop along the tail-end of the arctic front. Its a slow mover in nature due to the block we see in the northern jet, partially due to the higher heights east of Greenland.

4. There's a lot of upper air energy involved and the feeling I have is the models will continue playing around with it until there's better sampling. Some questions that arise is once the western ridge develops, how long will it be before it begins rolling east due to the train of trough's in the Pacific? Downstream this will have major implications on if our coastal storm can amplify.

5. My suggestion is to monitor the trends at H5 and see where the models are trying to focus their attention on. It's a bizarre setup but one that could give someone in the northeast a hell of a lot of snow if everything comes together, meaning both the positioning of the arctic front and the evolution of the coastal.

We'll see.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:38 pm

Great write up and points Frank day by day let's see how it all comes together. And one thing I've learned in past if local Mets and media start talking this early well usually it's not good in the sense of a lot of snow .
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:58 pm

Good write-up Frank!! I think they both end up being the main event. I think that because of the crazy-tight pressure gradient that sets up, we will see stronger lift than what is being modeled, which would of course increase QPF amounts. Secondly, as you stated, the models are having a tough time with what follows the overrunning event. Based on what I've seen, there is enough evidence to suggest that a coastal storm will form, and that it will be slow to move northward. Where it goes is still up in the air (pun intended lol), but I think that it will end up following the coast fairly closely, yielding even bigger totals. I just feel that there is too much consensus amongst everything for that to not happen in some way or another. Do I think that 12z CMC Operational run from today is going to be the result; absolutely not lmao But I do think that we see a middle-ground solution evolve over the next couple of days. I truly do.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:36 pm

Thanks guys.

The upper air pattern is very interesting like I talked about above. Nice ridge and east-based block, but the trough over the east is not-so impressive

Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 26 Gfs_z500a_nhem_19

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:40 pm

Hey man, good work deserves recognition, and that goes for everybody on here. UKMET seems to disagree with you, though :p

http://proa.accuweather.com/adcgrads/graphic.aspx?mod=UKMET&mt=&hr=96&map=conus&gv0=C&mv0=hgtprs&mv1=prmslmsl&gs=hgt_mslp&cap=500mb%20heights(m)/Sea%20Level%20Pressure(mb)&uid=

http://proa.accuweather.com/adcgrads/graphic.aspx?mod=UKMET&mt=&hr=120&map=conus&gv0=C&mv0=hgtprs&mv1=prmslmsl&gs=hgt_mslp&cap=500mb%20heights(m)/Sea%20Level%20Pressure(mb)&uid=

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:55 pm

For those wondering what this overrunning event could look like...

Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 26 Post-747-0-89210900-1423105377.gif.pagespeed.ce.sTszo2Pq_r

This is the arctic front set to hit us tomorrow. On Sunday, picture something like this except oriented more from NW to SE. Extending from the Great Lakes into NYC. At least that's what's modeled right now.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:23 am

0Z GGEM is way north in terms of snowfall. After a brief period of snow Saturday night, we then undergo a lull for much of Sunday followed by a rain for much of the tri-state area. Not until you get to Massachusetts do you get the prolonged snow event.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:36 am

EUROOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Big hit, the city on northward for Monday into Tues.
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:48 am

Shows 15+ inches from North Central Jersey on northward. What a peculiar system to track.
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:47 am

I think what's good is so far this system has shown a northern snow storm so it's early I think it could trend south depending how strong that hp is.
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:51 am

skinsfan1177 wrote:I think what's good is so far this system has shown a northern snow storm so it's early I think it could trend south depending how strong that hp is.

Skins, lets keep our fingers crossed that we all do well with this possible event.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:20 am

Great analysis Frank and that ridge in the west is key to what can happen east here. I have a distinct feeling that teh models will have a better handling of this by 12Z tomorrow. FWIW pro mets are honking on this - Evans, Lee and Gregory who I watch - Evans said we have to see if that coastal low forms and where it forms etc cause it could be whether we measure in inches or feet but "I think we maybe at the low end of what I just said even if it doesn't produce" meaning the coastal.

Another observation folks over running events usually start earlier than modeled. I think we see more precip than what is currently being forecasted just my opinion and experience with these over running events.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:24 am

I was just taking note of whats been happening in parts of the midwest the last several weeks.

Kansas City Missouri saw 6 days over 60 degrees in January with a high of 76. It continues in February as Kansas City is expecting a high of 70 on Saturday. What I find amazing is that none of that has progressed east in all that time. And that's a very good setup for us.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:29 pm

I'm keeping an eye on a potential storm between the 14-21st of February. I really like the prospects of a -NAO/+PNA setting up in that time frame. We'll see.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:12 pm

The aforementioned time period looks impressive. Granted this isn't a west-based block, but we see an Atlantic ridge/east based block

Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 26 Gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_38

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:20 am

Next weekend looks extremely cold. It actually is "too cold to snow"

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:30 am

Of course
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:30 am

too cold to snow?! Who ever heard of such a thing, break out the chapstick jeeze!
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:21 pm

Euro has a big coastal developing on tues/wed to the south, is this a new threat or the same one we were looking at just forming later?
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:37 pm

Same one. It's going out to sea. I'm pretty positive.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:45 pm

Just watched the Mets/Profs at Penn State. In there 12 day trend segment they said it doesn't look like they'll be any substantial storms in this period. Just a few clipper systems and a persistent NW flow. I guess we shall see.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:45 pm

jmanley32 wrote:Euro has a big coastal developing on tues/wed to the south, is this a new threat or the same one we were looking at just forming later?

I checked the EURO ensembles for 12Z and just about all of them have this low pressure system going well out to sea. One of the 51 members, however, has it stalling off Cape Hatteras for quite some time and gives us a blizzard. Of course, none of the other models do that (>98%) so I think we're pretty much done with that. I'll reconsider only if it makes a trend westward, which I doubt. lol!

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:22 pm

Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 26 1gjbs6
https://2img.net/h/oi58.tinypic.com/1gjbs6.png

Not too bad -EPO/+PNA and East based block

MJO going to phase 8 and even 1 as Frank pointed o out wit a transient - to neutral AO.

Next few weeks may be fun and the week of presidents holiday looks to be our  next chances for snow storms.  Next weekend brutal cold peeps frickin brutal!!!!

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:46 pm

Just this past weekend a few guys were talking up all the snow possibilities coming up. What happened? Are they off the table? What changed?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum