NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weather Station Ideas

4 posters

Go down

Weather Station Ideas Empty Weather Station Ideas

Post by mmanisca Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:55 am

Hey all just soliciting your ideas on a new weather station. I’ve had the vantage pro2 for a number of years and am running into problems with it. Dew point sensor is shot and it’s not recording rainfall properly anymore.
  I could replace some sensors but am wondering if it’s worth it since I’m not crazy about the software and can’t cant seem to get the station on my iPhone.
  Any thoughts on the best stations and software?
 Thanks!!!

Last edited by mmanisca on Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error)
mmanisca
mmanisca
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Weather Station Ideas Empty Re: Weather Station Ideas

Post by dkodgis Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:30 am

Depending on your goals, you can get a plain vanilla station such as an Acu Rite. This is what other board members recommended to me. I like it but I made two mistakes. There is a higher model that becomes a link to a bigger network where folks get local weather from your system readings or others' systems in the area. i wish I had that. That model also records the data onto your hard drive so you have any number of months' data (searchable, sortable in a spreadsheet). If I had my preference do to over, I would have gotten a higher model with those features-more useful to me. You will have to look it up. My model is 015121A and that is fine if you want your generic, static in place weather readings. It just won't download to the hard drive and there can be no sharing of weather readings. Features are a matter of taste but do understand what you are buying so you are 100% happy. I found out the hard way (I did not have my expectations in order to read and search out a match).

The other big thing is if you leave the Acu Rite plugged in, my model is unbelievably bright and it never dims. If you leave it unplugged, the screen does dim and batteries last for months and months. So you can press a button on the back and get the screen to go bright. If you keep your station in your bedroom, it will keep you up at night due to the screen brightness. If you keep it in the kitchen for example, then the bright screen is a conversation piece.

dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by mmanisca Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:58 am

Thank you for the input I’ll check on that!! I do want somrething that has good features for data storage and reporting so I’ll look at the higher model you spoke about.
mmanisca
mmanisca
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:29 pm

I know Janet and Mugs have one.

Maybe they can offer some advice.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:07 am

I had an acurite, but recently got this one.....pretty good for not a lot of money. I bought a tripod for it so I don't have to climb onto my garage roof to clear it of snow anymore!

https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-Professional-Monitoring-Compatible/dp/B01N5TEHLI?keywords=weather+station+ambient+ws2902&qid=1536120279&sr=8-1-fkmrnull&ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmrnull_1

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo