NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0

+46
Angela0621
Carvin
SoulSingMG
Irish
Joe Snow
lglickman1
RJB8525
ruggerij
adamfitz1969
Taffy
mako460
Math23x7
Scullybutcher
Quietace
algae888
dkodgis
essexcountypete
Vinnydula
JackShephard
skinsfan1177
brownie
nutleyblizzard
aiannone
crippo84
frank 638
weatherwatchermom
Grselig
amugs
rb924119
heehaw453
docstox12
SENJsnowman
Wheezer
jimv45
billg315
jmanley32
mikeypizano
hyde345
CPcantmeasuresnow
mwilli5783
Frank_Wx
HectorO
Radz
GreyBeard
Dunnzoo
sroc4
50 posters

Page 16 of 36 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 26 ... 36  Next

Go down

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0 - Page 16 Empty Re: The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0

Post by Guest Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:03 am

Thanks, Frank. I thought NJ was going to be mostly rain today and tonight so it wouldn't be bad until tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0 - Page 16 Empty Re: The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0

Post by amugs Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:04 am

HectorO wrote:
docstox12 wrote:
nutleyblizzard wrote:Unless our luck changes for the better and the pattern starts to cooperate, this winter is going to be a huge bust. Many weather forecasters both professional and novice alike called for anywhere from 150-200% of snowfall for the season. Thus far every storm has either cut to the west of us or has been suppressed. You can mostly thank our bad luck to the MJO which has been out of whack for the majority of the time. As we move forward in time and the wasted days start to wane on us (you have my support Syosnow), there's talk about an explosive pattern on the horizon complete with deep troughs and extreme blocking. I don't know about you, but I'm just not feeling it. There's a sense of being setup where a big storm is coming only to be taken away a la  Lucy did to Charlie Brown. Having said this, all it would take is one HECS to change peoples perception. My response to that is I'll believe it when I see it.

Good points.Still, there is plenty of snow producing time, 2 1/2 months to be exact, for this to turn around.I never throw in the towel until March 15.Last year was a good example.In the middle of February, I was walking in a park looking at buds opening up but in the middle of March I had a 27 inch snowstorm.Holding fast here!

But this year there was already greenery and trees blooming in the first week of January...  Pretty soon all this cold weather over the next two weeks will be wasted and By mid to month February we'll be going through another thaw.

Not a thaw spring will come in and we'll be doing a clean up from winter - oh wait what winter??LOL

Rb is done and I am right behind him. Saying this if we dont produce the next two - three weeks with this pattern we and I MEAN WE have all failed - from pro to amateurs to reminds me of the winters in the early 80's were most storm were slop fests, misses or Southern sliders.
There was so much working in our direction that has just failed - jet retraction, EAMT, GWO, FT, SST 's in the ocean's, Low Solar etc - Europe has been killing it and they are seeing all kinds of anomalous cold and snow in the entire continent and even into Africa and the Middle East. The part of the world is getting their arses kicked with extreme weather. Ala 11-12 winter - was always 7 days away to go poof before our very own eyes.

amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:06 am

ruggerij wrote:
TheAresian wrote:
ruggerij wrote:Ok. Didn’t want to clutter the main thread up with this. I’m from Hackettstown and am in Atlantic City today. Coming home tomorrow as of now. Can’t tell if the picture is better or worse as of now. Help! Trying to decide game plan. It looks to be bad but not as bad as early yesterday. Need to leave by 1 ppm today if heading home now.

When were you planning on leaving tomorrow? Sometime around noon tomorrow the cold is forecasted to arrive and quickly spread out. It could be very dicey if you're on the roads too late tomorrow.  

We would be on the road no later than 11 am and could leave sooner. More worried if we would be still in the risk on bad icing and power loss tonight. If so we would leave today.

Ice won't be an issue. But it will snow beginning at 6pm and I have Hackettstown getting 4 to 8 inches of snow before it changes to rain

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:22 am

Mugs, Rb, Frank, Sroc and all you other mets: I, and it's really 'we', really really appreciate your sharing your lifetimes of learning and experimenting, as well as your generous natures that make you want to invest so much time/energy into forecasting for our benefit.

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:25 am

I admit it. I am a boy inside who wants his snow. I will see how I do. Up here it looks good still for some snow
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by ruggerij Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:43 am

Frank_Wx wrote:
ruggerij wrote:
TheAresian wrote:
ruggerij wrote:Ok. Didn’t want to clutter the main thread up with this. I’m from Hackettstown and am in Atlantic City today. Coming home tomorrow as of now. Can’t tell if the picture is better or worse as of now. Help! Trying to decide game plan. It looks to be bad but not as bad as early yesterday. Need to leave by 1 ppm today if heading home now.

When were you planning on leaving tomorrow? Sometime around noon tomorrow the cold is forecasted to arrive and quickly spread out. It could be very dicey if you're on the roads too late tomorrow.  

We would be on the road no later than 11 am and could leave sooner. More worried if we would be still in the risk on bad icing and power loss tonight. If so we would leave today.

Ice won't be an issue. But it will snow beginning at 6pm and I have Hackettstown getting 4 to 8 inches of snow before it changes to rain

Thanks Frank. That is a big help. I will deal with the cleanup when we get home tomorrow.

ruggerij

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:47 am

These are are the times that crushes people's souls to a painful powder.  Well, CP, SENJ and other fine people on this site, it appears that the Warmacists have earned another victory through revolting and destructive warmadoo (kinda like voodoo).  It's the stuff that even Voldemort refused to use on moral grounds.  These people thrive in warm winters and moderately temperate summers. Look what its done.  This site is hurting.  RB a true Coldicist and good guy, one of the smartest and knowledgeable inhabitants, is giving up. For the sake of the health of the earth, we must find a way to crawl back and take victory.  Kinda like Leonard did to Hearns in their first fight = 14th round TKO, back when boxing was good.  Next week still has potential. You can't win by bringing a knife to a gun fight.  Now is the time we traded the knife for real weapons. Reverse the dreaded 2015 poll.  Winter is not yet lost, but its clinging off a deep cliff by a frayed thread.  What's next?  81.5 degree and partly cloudy summers with brush fire warnings!
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:04 pm

mako460 wrote:Alright Aresian, now start counting them....and a one and a two......think you missed one

That reminds me of a joke:

A drummer and his wife find out that she's pregnant with quads and they're all going to be girls. He wants to name all of them Anna. His wife asks him how they'll be able to tell them apart. He says "We'll name them Anna1, Anna2......"

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:41 pm

amugs wrote:
HectorO wrote:
docstox12 wrote:
nutleyblizzard wrote:Unless our luck changes for the better and the pattern starts to cooperate, this winter is going to be a huge bust. Many weather forecasters both professional and novice alike called for anywhere from 150-200% of snowfall for the season. Thus far every storm has either cut to the west of us or has been suppressed. You can mostly thank our bad luck to the MJO which has been out of whack for the majority of the time. As we move forward in time and the wasted days start to wane on us (you have my support Syosnow), there's talk about an explosive pattern on the horizon complete with deep troughs and extreme blocking. I don't know about you, but I'm just not feeling it. There's a sense of being setup where a big storm is coming only to be taken away a la  Lucy did to Charlie Brown. Having said this, all it would take is one HECS to change peoples perception. My response to that is I'll believe it when I see it.

Good points.Still, there is plenty of snow producing time, 2 1/2 months to be exact, for this to turn around.I never throw in the towel until March 15.Last year was a good example.In the middle of February, I was walking in a park looking at buds opening up but in the middle of March I had a 27 inch snowstorm.Holding fast here!

But this year there was already greenery and trees blooming in the first week of January...  Pretty soon all this cold weather over the next two weeks will be wasted and By mid to month February we'll be going through another thaw.

Not a thaw spring will come in and we'll be doing a clean up from winter - oh wait what winter??LOL

Rb is done and I am right behind him. Saying this if we dont produce the next two - three weeks with this pattern we and I MEAN WE have all failed - from pro to amateurs to reminds me of the winters in the early 80's were most storm were slop fests, misses or Southern sliders.
There was so much working in our direction that has just failed - jet retraction, EAMT, GWO, FT, SST 's in the ocean's, Low Solar etc - Europe has been killing it and they are seeing all kinds of anomalous cold and snow in the entire continent and even into Africa and the Middle East. The part of the world is getting their arses kicked with extreme weather. Ala 11-12 winter - was always 7 days away to go poof before our very own eyes.

Don't worry folks, I have a flight out 2/22/19 to San Antonio, guarantee we'll have one then! lol

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:42 pm

River Walk. Alamo. Etc.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by brownie Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:17 pm

I am relieved I will not have to deal with an ice storm, but this has truly been a wasted day.  The local Shop Rite was short staffed when I went there at 7:30 am because everyone had called out because of the impending storm.  Even the local museum closed at 2 pm today because of the storm that isn’t coming.

I guess it is better to be safe than sorry, but I do seem to recall more accurate storm forecasts years ago.  Perhaps that is selective memory.  Is it?

Now the rain can wash away all the salt I put down on my driveway.

brownie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:30 pm

Unless the mistake is of a spectacular nature, I think it's unlikely you'd remember the missed forecasts. It's like playing the lottery and only being one number shy of winning $5. Your brain deems it unimportant and removes it from memory.

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:48 pm

I'm still in the 6-10 range. My forecast hasn't budged for almost 2 days now. I'll let you know how it turns out.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:03 am

My guess is rest of January we get minimal snow and February is light too. Just a feeling and show of frustration.

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:33 am

Grselig wrote:These are are the times that crushes people's souls to a painful powder.  Well, CP, SENJ and other fine people on this site, it appears that the Warmacists have earned another victory through revolting and destructive warmadoo (kinda like voodoo).  It's the stuff that even Voldemort refused to use on moral grounds.  These people thrive in warm winters and moderately temperate summers. Look what its done.  This site is hurting.  RB a true Coldicist and good guy, one of the smartest and knowledgeable inhabitants, is giving up. For the sake of the health of the earth, we must find a way to crawl back and take victory.  Kinda like Leonard did to Hearns in their first fight = 14th round TKO, back when boxing was good.  Next week still has potential. You can't win by bringing a knife to a gun fight.  Now is the time we traded the knife for real weapons. Reverse the dreaded 2015 poll.  Winter is not yet lost, but its clinging off a deep cliff by a frayed thread.  What's next?  81.5 degree and partly cloudy summers with brush fire warnings!

Leonard 'stole' that fight, by running from the best pfp fighter in the world at that time (well, 2nd...a young heavyweight named Mike was already headed for his first title shot at the time) for the first 2:30 of each round and then throwing a box of tissues at Hag for the last 30 seconds. But it was fair and square, the only real practical shot Leonard had and most importantly...it worked!!!

We got to start stealing some of these rounds here. My coldacist tendencies are no match for the warmacist powers all around me. Personally, I think we need Obi Wan...he's our only hope!

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:19 pm

If we don't get the EPO press and Plot a Pac JET to retract to slope the EPO to press and PNA Ridge to amplify we can kiss our chances good bye. The NAO which was once being modelled to be stout and help.is......not gonna happen in the next week rom the looks. The PV is centered in central Canada and drops into the upper plains and then slides east with its bumrutal.cold but doesn't offer enough resistance on its outer periphery for storms not to run inland as I see it. Until we get a weak Negative NAO it will be the same old, comd, storm comes and runs in land due to nothing resisting it from doing such. Just my frustration and what I see so far in the next week and a half. 
Sorry but the don't get your hopes up just yet for the 28th cause we need help on the Atlantic side to prevent this from cutting in on us. I hope.I am wrong here but looking at the set up the anti cyclone wave break that was to drive the LP west to Iceland and help pump the HP over Greenland is not being forecasted as such which will have downstream wife affects. And the package keeps crashes vorts into the west coast deampmifying the pna Ridge and creating interference with the N EPO. Just ranting here cause what once was a great looking pattern may not be so great. Now I know why rb is self haitus.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by lglickman1 Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:55 pm

So are we at the point where we can write off the rest of the winter?

lglickman1
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:59 pm

lglickman1 wrote:So are we at the point where we can write off the rest of the winter?

No, but if this pattern change doesn't happen by February 2nd I am.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:06 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
lglickman1 wrote:So are we at the point where we can write off the rest of the winter?

I concur if not looking real or having any storms by then I am ready to throw it in. 1" is my total for this met winter not counting the 7.8" from that Nov storm, what a KOD those storms have become.

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:15 pm

amugs wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

I concur if not looking real or having any storms by then I am ready to throw it in. 1" is my total for this met winter not counting the 7.8" from that Nov storm, what a KOD those storms have become.

Mugs I've never liked pre November 20th snow storms, they always seem to be the KOD for winter. The larger they are the crappier the rest of the winter seems to be. The October 29, 2011 storm being the ultimate KOD, 16.0 inches IMBY 3-5 in the city and the crappiest winter to follow in the last two decades.

Lets hope we're not talking about the November 15th storm in the same vein in April.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:33 am

Wow, we have members in here willing to throw in the towel on FEBRUARY 1 ?????? Good thing there weren't guys like you in the Continental, Army at Valley Forge, the British would still be running this country.Or the Battling B___ards of Bastogne who would have surrendered when the Germans asked instead of saying "NUTS" to them like General Mac Auliffe did! There is still 2 1/2 months of snow producing time this year.I don't care about long range models, it can still snow as Al has said before.As for me, I'm fighting to the last ditch which is March 15th with nothing in sight but mild conditions with rain.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:15 am

For those who are about to throw it in Frank posts a MECS Miller A on the Euro En's and does this to us. 

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:22 am

docstox12 wrote:Wow, we have members in here willing to throw in the towel on FEBRUARY 1 ?????? Good thing there weren't guys like you in the Continental, Army at Valley Forge, the British would still be running this country.Or the Battling B___ards of Bastogne who would have surrendered when the Germans asked instead of saying "NUTS" to them like General Mac Auliffe did! There is still 2 1/2 months of snow producing time this year.I don't care about long range models, it can still snow as Al has said before.As for me, I'm fighting to the last ditch which is March 15th with nothing in sight but mild conditions with rain.

not ready to throw in the towel, but just a little discouraged...I remember winters like today..cold but with snow on the ground...I remember being little so I think it was around 69 there was a storm and we were staying at my grandmothers and there were huge piles of snow when she opened up her front door and oooh the boxing day storm..that was a great winter...for now I just play my projector every night and look at the snow flakes dancing on the ceiling...
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:29 am

docstox12 wrote:Wow, we have members in here willing to throw in the towel on FEBRUARY 1 ?????? Good thing there weren't guys like you in the Continental, Army at Valley Forge, the British would still be running this country.Or the Battling B___ards of Bastogne who would have surrendered when the Germans asked instead of saying "NUTS" to them like General Mac Auliffe did! There is still 2 1/2 months of snow producing time this year.I don't care about long range models, it can still snow as Al has said before.As for me, I'm fighting to the last ditch which is March 15th with nothing in sight but mild conditions with rain.

You know me Doc just venting last night. Sub zero cold and everything snow covered has me back and ready for the next one.

I'll be looking for snow till April 15th that's usually my cutoff, although I still fondly remember the May 9th 1977 storm. I'd like another one of those before I leave this planet.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:03 am

Mom that is great with the projector and I confess I had a moment last night me self. Now that CP is back on board I shall be joining my mate. Hey where is snowy come to tonk of it? Remember the quartet we formed back in 13-14 or was it 14-15. 
I have to try and find those posts, they need to be archived!!

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:05 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

You know me Doc just venting last night. Sub zero cold and everything snow covered has me back and ready for the next one.

I'll be looking for snow till April 15th that's usually my cutoff, although I still fondly remember the May 9th 1977 storm. I'd like another one of those before I leave this planet.

THERE'S the CP I know! Winter and snow lover to the last flake!

We have it this morning up here CP, single digit cold, windy, trees encased in ice 4 /12 inches of what looks like snow.Just need some flurries on and off to enhance the mood.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:06 am

weatherwatchermom wrote:

not ready to throw in the towel, but just a little discouraged...I remember winters like today..cold but with snow on the ground...I remember being little so I think it was around 69 there was a storm and we were staying at my grandmothers and there were huge piles of snow  when she opened up her front door and oooh the boxing day storm..that was a great winter...for now I just play my projector every night and look at the snow flakes dancing on the ceiling...

Mom, that was probably the February 1969 "Mayor Lindsay" snowstorm that gave us over 20 inches in Fort Lee NJ where I was living at the time.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 36 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 26 ... 36  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum