NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0

+46
Angela0621
Carvin
SoulSingMG
Irish
Joe Snow
lglickman1
RJB8525
ruggerij
adamfitz1969
Taffy
mako460
Math23x7
Scullybutcher
Quietace
algae888
dkodgis
essexcountypete
Vinnydula
JackShephard
skinsfan1177
brownie
nutleyblizzard
aiannone
crippo84
frank 638
weatherwatchermom
Grselig
amugs
rb924119
heehaw453
docstox12
SENJsnowman
Wheezer
jimv45
billg315
jmanley32
mikeypizano
hyde345
CPcantmeasuresnow
mwilli5783
Frank_Wx
HectorO
Radz
GreyBeard
Dunnzoo
sroc4
50 posters

Page 35 of 36 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Go down

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0 - Page 35 Empty Re: The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0

Post by sroc4 Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:02 pm

SENJsnowman wrote:In all honesty, the GFS-FV3 has been my therapist/best friend this winter. Not a storm has approached, NOT ONE STORM, that the FV3 didn't like as a Mothra or better at one point.

Comes a time when I need loyalty above all else...and the FV3 was in my corner all winter long, right when I needed her most. She wasn't right once. Never came that close. But like a goofy dog, when it's your goofy dog anyways, that just doesn't matter. A bond was forged...

#VivaLaFV3!

This post argues for post of the winter in my book

lol! lol! lol!

sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0 - Page 35 Empty Re: The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0

Post by HectorO Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:34 pm

Ready for Spring already. Need to chill out on my deck in the warm weather while I listen to music and eat food.

HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:21 am

I'm old enough to remember the May 9-10, 1977 storm which dropped several inches of snow in areas of the HV and 27inches in the Catskills. I bring it up because I enjoyed the snow in May, I love a good April snow storm and I love a solid snow cover through most of March. However if I had my choice this recent trend of dud Decembers and February like March I would reverse if I had the choice. I'd much rather have December the cold and snowy month for many reasons, Christmas season, the sun at it's weakest point, the coldest parts of winter coming up to sustain snow cover etc;. Since I can't do anything about that, I'll enjoy this.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:23 am

Yesterday made winter at least bearable. Make a birthday wish for March 15. To all Old School Wrestling fans, RIP King Kong Bundy.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:31 pm

My wife asked me "what are you doing today?" I said "My best to annoy the crap out of somebody minding his own business."

Graybeard, I backed up what I said 100%, which wasn't nearly as controversial as you seem to need it to be to you. At least it wasn't to the weather channel, who said it.

You're being a horse's ass for no reason. I don't appreciate it or see any humor, constructiveness or charm in your interaction.

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:48 pm

Whoa! Easy there. Somebody pee in your Cheerios this morning? I was merely trying to engage you in a conversation about your statement that the coldest air on the planet was in the USA.

I didn't realize that you were so sensitive and defensive. I gave you hard numbers showing that it was -68 in Antarctica. Show me anywhere in the US that is even close to that.

Apparently you can't engage with someone who has a different view than yours. I was not trying to be funny or to annoy you, but if that's the way you see it, then that's the way you see it.

I find your reaction to be a bit childish to be honest.

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:17 pm

That's a crap response Graybeard. I took the time to layout my thoughts in the long range. Your response was childish banter at best and was off base.

Your response to me pointing that out to you (twice) was to locate data specifically to contradict TWC's general point, not mine.

"Engaging conversation"? "different view than yours"
Huh? You were snarky and wrong. AKA a horse's ass.

Here is how engaging conversation and engaging in viewpoints works:

What's your thoughts on this weekend's pattern, Graybeard? I'm curious to hear...

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:27 pm

I'm very curious if the mods here, especially Frank_Wx, think Graybeard's comments are the "exchange of viewpoints" he's trying to spin it as.

Def not gonna spend time writing stuff up if this kind of snarky 'gotcha's' is good around here. That's just not grown up stuff, and I aint having it.

At any time, all he had to say was that TWC was crazy for reporting that stat, but he KEPT making it about me. Fine, but again, I don't need to worry about protecting my flank like that when all I want to do is talk about the damn weather.

Not trying to change the rules, but I do want a clarification here please.

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:44 pm

Are we speaking continental US? Jim River Alaska was recorded at -80F in 1971.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:38 pm

Wow, things getting a little tense this evening? I would suggest it ends before the mods see the cursing etc, its not allowed. SENJ yes they do uphold the rules but they do this for free and work jobs and have families and cannot be on here every minute of the day, I can almost guarentee those posts will be deleted for their vulgar terms, if you had worded it differently then they would probably leave it but this is a family friendly site, check the terms as you stated your breaking them, not so sure greybeard has done anything wrong that is flagrant abuse of the rules. Anyways if you choose carry on, its just funny to me, I have gotten bad feedback before or refuted but never have i called anyone names.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:45 pm

Jman, on my app and online, TWC ran a headline today: ""Below-Average U.S. Temperatures Among the Coldest in World Right Now. The arctic cold temperatures in the U.S. are some of the coldest temperatures globally right now."

I made a fleeting reference to that headline and Graybeard called me out on it. So, I posted the headline in response to being called out and Graybeard ignored/missed half of the post that backed up what I said and then and called me out again for the other half of what I posted. I then read the headline to him that he missed and he then fished a graphic just to call me out a third time.

This after I spent the hour from 2-3 pm on a gosh darn Monday afternoon making several posts in the long range.

So yeah, that made me really mad, and that's how the fight started.

Point taken about the language, I'll do better on that end.

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:52 pm

And point also taken about the name-calling. That will not happen again and Graybeard I apologize for that.

But from a factual standpoint, the posts lay it all out pretty clearly:

I contributed to the 'professional' portion of the forum (the long range thread), and got trolled.

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:32 pm

Do yourself a favor and go and read your post,particularly this lineThe PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0 - Page 35 Screen15

That is what jumped out at me,and why I questioned you, not some headline or graphic you keep referring to. I don't even see any mention of TWC anywhere to be honest.

Why you take it as some personal attack on you, I don't really understand.This horse is dead so stop beating on it. I'm done with this

And Jman, you are truly a wise man.

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:50 pm

I didn't mention my sourcing for that particular fact. And so you thought I was making it up. Being snarky. I gave you my sourcing, which was TWC. You missed it, and got snarky again. I then spelled it out for you and then you tried to make me look like an idiot. It's not that hard to figure out. Now you are trying to ghost the whole thing, like you never did any of that. Pretty unreal, but yeah definitely time to move on...

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:38 am

Wow, Some pretty childish nonsense going on yesterday evening huh?  

This will be the only time addressing this.  

First: SENJsnowman.  Great job yesterday in your write up and analysis.  I and many others appreciate the time and effort you put into putting it all together.  I know first hand how long it takes to look, analyze, collect your thoughts; then attempt to put them out there for people to see.  Once you put things out there, in the world we live in, we then have to face the individuals who are merely looking to criticize instead of looking at the effort.

Second: GreyBeard:  The man puts himself out there with his write up and you choose to focus on one line in the entire thing?   I mean... scratch  Would you have even made a comment if the 3 words "...relative to averages" was added to the end of the line you quoted?  

Third:  Back @ SENJsnowman:  here was GreyBeards initial response to your write up:

GreyBeard wrote:"And as a result, we are enjoying very cold air at the moment. Perhaps even the coldest air presently on the planet!"

Where are you posting from, Antarctica? Suspect

I must admit I giggled a little when I initially read his response and took it as a fun jab, or poking fun in a benign way.  Trust me when I tell you I understand how it feels after putting together a write up the feeling of satisfaction yet subtle vulnerability because of the way social media can take on a life of its own.  Its easy to knee jerk and take things the wrong way some times because a mere post of words you lose the true intentions behind it.  I of all people can admit that I have done this myself as well.  Again sometimes its a knee jerk, so it happens sometimes before we have a chance to really think about if there was any true malice behind something and its off and running in a direction that it never needed to head.  

Now beyond the initial post I think both of you got into a bit of a pissing match both in the LR thread then over here in the Play pen(which I appreciate you taking it here).  Going forward if you continue to post your thoughts and ideas, which I REALLY encourage you to continue to do, you are going to have to keep in mind that not everyone is going to agree with you, and some are going to be A-Holes about it, esp those who don't understand some of the more complex details.   If things get out of hand myself, Frank and the other mods will cont to attempt to keep things under control.  

To tie a nice bow on this I really don't think GreyBeard initially had any true malice behind the initial comment.  Beyond that I think you two started trading some unnecessary rabbit punches.  Hopefully a quick virtual hand shake and mutual respect for each other is retuned and we can move on.

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0 - Page 35 Giphy

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:31 am

Agree 100% Doc.Misunderstandings are a symptom of virtual postings as one individual can't see or hear the other in the real world, so eyes and body language can't be read or voice tones or inflections can be analyzed.I'm not taking any side in this disagreement, just hoping the guys can shake hands, agree to disagree and move on.We have a great board here, light years away from the disorder, chaos and rancor of the old Channel 7 weather board as old timers here will remember.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:57 am

Doc, by the time I joined the 7 board, it was already over. I waited too long so I only knew some things by lurking. Here, I have quiet enjoyment of discussing weather. On a completely unrelated topic, I pm'ed you about snow totals. Go take a look.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:29 am

dkodgis wrote:Doc, by the time I joined the 7 board, it was already over. I waited too long so I only knew some things by lurking. Here, I have quiet enjoyment of discussing weather. On a completely unrelated topic, I pm'ed you about snow totals. Go take a look.

10-4 Roger that Damian reply sent.

LOL, the old Channel 7 Board was like the bar scene from Star Wars.Hilarious interactions to me but it did get pretty nasty.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:15 am

docstox12 wrote:
dkodgis wrote:Doc, by the time I joined the 7 board, it was already over. I waited too long so I only knew some things by lurking. Here, I have quiet enjoyment of discussing weather. On a completely unrelated topic, I pm'ed you about snow totals. Go take a look.

10-4 Roger that Damian reply sent.

LOL, the old Channel 7 Board was like the bar scene from Star Wars.Hilarious interactions to me but it did get pretty nasty.

Warlock would have had a field day with this winter.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:33 am

Posting in the long range thread is some scary stuff. It's taken me about 3 years to get to the point that I have enough sea legs to take even a short trip into the unknown.

I probably delete 3 of my long range posts for every one that actually I submit. Some of the ones I delete, in retrospect I believe were spot on, but I don't always have the nerve to lay it out there, to potentially be that wrong in front of a group people who I know are going to be dissecting every word for accuracy and clarity.

So why do I post? How do I push through the fear and the insecurity of knowing that there is so much more of a chance that I’ll be publicly wrong than right?

One reason and one reason only.

The fact that this dissection is guaranteed to be benevolent is exactly 100% the push I need to do it. To start the process, to create, to modify, to re-think, to test, etc… To put in 2 hours to create one, quite possibly totally incorrect post, and not put that time towards my business or my family.

And over and over again I have heard Frank and Mugs and Sroc and rb and Billg and Zoo and many others say, that is what WE are all about and that is what makes this forum so different.

And the third post the other day, not the first post, was a direct, intentional and severe breach of that protocol.

As I understand the rules and expectations of this forum, it was a pretty big deal and we should all make sure that our banter in the long range is not a thinly veiled attempt to embarrass somebody on the heels of their doing work in the grown-up room. And definitely DO NOT dig in your heels and show how determined you are to embarrass the long range poster if your initial attempts go awry. At least not to me…

And if there are differing viewpoints, interpretations etc as it relates to this issue, then I think the better practice is to have more discourse, not less.

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:48 am

Spring is coming, time to throw in the towel. I don't care what the long range says... :p
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by brownie Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:46 pm

essexcountypete wrote:
dkodgis wrote:I forgot to add this to the long range thread. I saw a robin today.

On Monday, right after the storm, about 20 robins showed up in our big holly tree to meal out on holly berries. The next morning, there were a dozen very fat robins on the sunny flat roof on the back of my house. Apparently one of the two goshawks that reside in the cemetery across the street also took note of the robins. I went to the shed to put my shovels away yesterday morning, and I turn around to walk out and not six feet in front of me the goshawk lands with a robin in it's claws. It stood there for about 30 seconds until it saw me, then took off with the robin and left a cloud of feathers.

[sorry, this should have been in banter]
No robins here yet, and I still have complete snow cover on my property.

EssexCountyPete:  I once turned into my driveway at the exact moment two crows were pulling a robin apart.  Although I know this is nature and this is how wild things survive, it broke my heart.  I turned my head and went into the house.  When I came out hours later, the only thing left of the robin was the beak.

I received over a foot of snow in the last week.  As much as I like the cold and the snow, I think I’m ready for spring now.

brownie

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:51 pm

Doc, CP...did we not have a big storm last year on this date?
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:56 am

dkodgis wrote:Doc, CP...did we not have a big storm last year on this date?

Damian, CP will know the date, but, yes we got 27 inches up here in that snowstorm last year.I was under a 2-3 inch per hour band for a few hours.Not going to happen this year for sure.As a matter of fact, we start losing snowpack starting with Saturday's warm up into the 40's and then the rain on Sunday with a week of warm to follow.I think the past week with over 12 inches of snow with the bitter cold is the last train out.We will see.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:40 am

Pretty sure there was TWO march mega storms for the LHV last March, Doc. An early one around now that hit the north areas good but was all rain down here. And then right after the 1st day a spring, another one that hit that turned to heavy snow all the way down to the coast.

What a difference a year makes...it looks like the cutters/suppression bit is STILL in full force.

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:00 am

SENJsnowman wrote:Pretty sure there was TWO march mega storms for the LHV last March, Doc. An early one around now that hit the north areas good but was all rain down here. And then right after the 1st day a spring, another one that hit that turned to heavy snow all the way down to the coast.

What a difference a year makes...it looks like the cutters/suppression bit is STILL in full force.

Your'e absolutely right because we had 50 inches in March here in the HV.Statistician CP will chime in SENJ on the issue for sure.Right as well on the pattern.This year everything cut west.NWS calling for 1 -2 inches of slop up here Sat night so I am hoping I hit 40 for the season, below the normal 50 but a lot better than could be expected with the lousy pattern you mention.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:39 am

docstox12 wrote:
SENJsnowman wrote:Pretty sure there was TWO march mega storms for the LHV last March, Doc. An early one around now that hit the north areas good but was all rain down here. And then right after the 1st day a spring, another one that hit that turned to heavy snow all the way down to the coast.

Your'e absolutely right because we had 50 inches in March here in the HV.Statistician CP will chime in SENJ on the issue for sure.Right as well on the pattern.This year everything cut west.NWS calling for 1 -2 inches of slop up here Sat night so I am hoping I hit 40 for the season, below the normal 50 but a lot better than could be expected with the lousy pattern you mention.

You're pretty much on target with all of that Doc. Starting with the 8 inches of snow we had on March 2nd last year (sound familiar it pretty much matched this years March3 storm) but then followed up with the over two feet of snow we experience on March 7 last last year, it was a March and April to remember. We had 50.2 inches of snow from March 2nd forward through April 2nd, and snow cover solid through April 3rd. It doesn't look like we will get anywhere close this year, but the 13.4 inches so far this March may be followed up by 3-4 inches of a front end thump tomorrow night followed by slop. That is the familiar theme of this winter.

With all of that, we are almost at 40 inches for the season and the normal of 50-55 inches in Orange County seems very attainable. Even if it is reached I would not call this a normal winter by any stretch. Getting near normal snowfall doesn't make a normal winter. There are many other factors that determine that and I won't go into all of them again right now.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 36 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum