NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feb 9th-10th Storm Final Discussion/Observations

+43
shawnerak
jbnyy224
Dtone
colosa4
Math23x7
WeatherBob
mako460
Nyi1058
Taffy
devsman
WOLVES1
algae888
essexcountypete
Scullybutcher
tigernumba1
oldtimer
cooladi
Dunnzoo
docstox12
deadrabbit79
HectorO
SNOW MAN
pdubz
Vinnydula
Artechmetals
Grselig
amugs
dsix85
Quietace
thgstang
Mathgod55
mmanisca
jmanley32
aiannone
Frank_Wx
SoulSingMG
nutleyblizzard
RJB8525
CPcantmeasuresnow
shabsies
skinsfan1177
NjWeatherGuy
sroc4
47 posters

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

Feb 9th-10th Storm Final Discussion/Observations - Page 10 Empty Re: Feb 9th-10th Storm Final Discussion/Observations

Post by HectorO Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:04 pm

As I mentioned earlier, I agree. 2-4 inches. Still something to freshen up the pack. Make it look fresh again.

HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Feb 9th-10th Storm Final Discussion/Observations - Page 10 Empty Re: Feb 9th-10th Storm Final Discussion/Observations

Post by algae888 Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:10 pm

18z gfs gives us a 1-3" snowfall for sun nite- monday morn. .1 to.25 QPF. in line with sref. nam has less than .1 QPF

algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:11 pm

cmc is like nam. i do not have the euro
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by WeatherBob Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:42 pm

Looks like Bill Evans was totally right about this storm after all.
WeatherBob
WeatherBob
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:56 pm

ooz nam was very interesting. forms a low over tenn. mon morning a moves it e/ ne off the delmerva coast tues, morning. brushes us with an inch or two but hits south jersey with2-4, 3-6 of snow. didn't see this on any other model.
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:11 pm

algae888 wrote:ooz nam was very interesting. forms a low over tenn. mon morning  a moves it e/ ne  off the delmerva  coast tues, morning. brushes us with an inch or two but hits south jersey with2-4, 3-6 of snow. didn't see this on any other model.
Would like to see more agreement here. Models are still having issues with the energy and the development of it. Still time to work this out and im starting to favor a 2-4 inch system for South Jersey but im still not totally convinced yet.
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:17 pm

ARW develops a coastal with a moderate storm. SREF has it too.

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:51 pm

0Z GFS has a nice little 2-3 inch hit for NNJ, HV, NYC and LI Late Sunday night and early Monday. After all the ups and downs I'd take it.

With the way these clippers have over achieved this season, the path is favorable for a nice little blow up at the end for possibly a moderate hit. This part is wishcasting at this stage but we've certainly seen it happen enough times this winter to not rule it out.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:58 pm

0z GFS is more than 2-3" for LI. More like 4-5 with ratios. Really blows up precip at the coast.

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:00 pm

Mets2695 wrote:0z GFS is more than 2-3" for LI. More like 4-5 with ratios. Really blows up precip at the coast.

Alex, I just saw the map, the surface temperatures are marginal for accumulating snow on LI.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:02 pm

Yea on the GFS. GFS is always warm because it can't recognize LI as a landmass. It will be plenty cold. 850s are very cold so snow growth will be excellent

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:17 pm

0z RGEM!!!!
Feb 9th-10th Storm Final Discussion/Observations - Page 10 15464410

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by colosa4 Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:52 pm

wow, that looks like a decent hit considering what I thought we were only going to get an inch or two.

colosa4

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:15 am

Sunday night into Monday is beginning to show potential of a 3-6 inch type of snowfall, but I'll stay conservative for now and say 2-4 inches. Sorry I've been away all day. I have a wedding tomorrow (so won't be here again tomorrow) and been getting stuff then worked tonight.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:18 am

What can we expect here in NYC area? From looks of RGEM, I am on the north part of the darker blue, 2-4? 3-6?  You know, we may be trending back to something bigger, not the blizzard idea but this has been happening alllll season, so i wouldnt be surprised to see another storm witha decent moderate snowfall.  Its like sheetrock here.  Fall on the snow and your really gonna hurt urself!
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Artechmetals Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:19 am

Frank what areas would that be
Artechmetals
Artechmetals
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:22 am

NYC Metro, but as always southern New England is in a good spot for best snows. We also have to see if surface temps become an issue. We need the vort to dig as much as possible and really collapse that surface line.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Artechmetals Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:27 am

Man I hope this pans out , enjoy the wedding and don't drink to much Smile
Artechmetals
Artechmetals
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:57 am

When I look at the 6Z runs this untrained eye sees a quick 2-4 inches of snow Sunday night into Monday morning for HV,NNJ, NYC and parts of LI although there will be temperature issues in LI. Apparently the pros not buying into it yet.

With the way this pattern has been I also still hold out hope this can blossom into a 4-6 event at the end. The path of the low is favorable for a late enhancement IMO.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:25 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:When I look at the 6Z runs this untrained eye sees a quick 2-4 inches of snow Sunday night into Monday morning for HV,NNJ, NYC and parts of LI although there will be temperature issues in LI. Apparently the pros not buying into it yet.

With the way this pattern has been I also still hold out hope this can blossom into a 4-6 event at the end. The path of the low is favorable for a late enhancement IMO.
I agree CP. The trend this year with these type of systems (its northern stream driven, and every system from the NS has been troublesome for models) is for poor handling of the precip shield, QPF and low strength and placement.
I do not think temperatures will be that much of a issue as the surface is already quite cold from the days prior (and we have snow covered ground), plus the upper levels are plenty cold to support snow that will cool the surface quicker since it will fall at night and surface temps should start at or just over freezing in places that would have P-type issues.

Last edited by Quietace on Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:27 am

Local Mets are saying 3-4 inches for tomorrow into Monday mornings event. Just yesterday they said there would be no snow at all. Their even talking about the possible storm next week, when yesterday morning they said there would be no storms at all and others said just rain. I'll take the 3-4 it'll freshen up my snow pack. It looks so beautiful with the blanket of snow seems to make everything quiet and tranquil. It's one of the best Winters around here in a while. I'm just loving it !
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:33 am

snow man it actually does make things quieter if you live rurally. snow acts as a insulator and hence sound does not bounce off it as easily instead it absorbs it.  As a kid I always used to notice how much quieter it was when it was snowing, its also because all the animals go to sleep.  Snow is also the safest place to stay inside if you are stranded in like the mountains as it is warmer in a snow shelter than it is outside.  I hope we can up this to a 6 incher that'd be cool.  Unfortunently my snow is a block of ice and any snow on top of it is only going to keep it that way.  Its razor blade sharp when broken as its all ice from the FRZ we had and I can almost walk on top of it and im no small guy!  Maybe close to a foot on the ground underneath it.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:42 am

Quietace wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:When I look at the 6Z runs this untrained eye sees a quick 2-4 inches of snow Sunday night into Monday morning for HV,NNJ, NYC and parts of LI although there will be temperature issues in LI. Apparently the pros not buying into it yet.

I agree CP. The trend this year with these type of systems (its northern stream driven, and every system from the NS has been troublesome for models) is for poor handling of the precip shield, QPF and low strength and placement.
I do not think temperatures will be that much of a issue as the surface is already quite cold from the days prior (and we have snow covered ground), plus the upper levels are plenty cold to support snow that will cool the surface quicker since it will fall at night and surface temps should start at or just over freezing in places that would have P-type issues.

Ryan: I see what you mean about the upper levels, very cold Sunday night, any precip should cool the lower levels quickly for anyone that gets above freezing during the day.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:43 am

Jman there are a few critters out and about namely squirrels and birds. I feed both and in the morning all you can here is the birds singing and woodpeckers pounding away on a dead tree limb out in the woods. At night I have two coyotes that come around looking for any seed that may be left from the daytime. What beautiful coats these animals have. Seen a few deer in the woods yesterday and it looked like a post card with the bare trees and the snow on the ground. I just love living here.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:29 am

SNOW MAN wrote:Jman there are a few critters out and about namely squirrels and birds. I feed both and in the morning all you can here is the birds singing and woodpeckers pounding away on a dead tree limb out in the woods. At night I have two coyotes that come around looking for any seed that may be left from the daytime. What beautiful coats these animals have. Seen a few deer in the woods yesterday and it looked like a post card with the bare trees and the snow on the ground. I just love living here.

Snow Man, it got down to 3.2 degrees here this morning, what did you get down to?
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:31 am

jmanley32 wrote:snow man it actually does make things quieter if you live rurally. snow acts as a insulator and hence sound does not bounce off it as easily instead it absorbs it.  As a kid I always used to notice how much quieter it was when it was snowing, its also because all the animals go to sleep.  Snow is also the safest place to stay inside if you are stranded in like the mountains as it is warmer in a snow shelter than it is outside.  I hope we can up this to a 6 incher that'd be cool.  Unfortunently my snow is a block of ice and any snow on top of it is only going to keep it that way.  Its razor blade sharp when broken as its all ice from the FRZ we had and I can almost walk on top of it and im no small guy!  Maybe close to a foot on the ground underneath it.

Jman:

I was visiting a client in Yonkers yesterday on Mclean Avenue, I see what you mean about the streets, I had to drive over a mound of snow just to be able to park on a side street. I was lucky I got out before everything refroze again last night.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:41 am

Central Jersey especially the coast does OK with the 12z NAM, it's only one run but potential for a moderate event is still there.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum