NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feb 9th-10th Storm Final Discussion/Observations

+43
shawnerak
jbnyy224
Dtone
colosa4
Math23x7
WeatherBob
mako460
Nyi1058
Taffy
devsman
WOLVES1
algae888
essexcountypete
Scullybutcher
tigernumba1
oldtimer
cooladi
Dunnzoo
docstox12
deadrabbit79
HectorO
SNOW MAN
pdubz
Vinnydula
Artechmetals
Grselig
amugs
dsix85
Quietace
thgstang
Mathgod55
mmanisca
jmanley32
aiannone
Frank_Wx
SoulSingMG
nutleyblizzard
RJB8525
CPcantmeasuresnow
shabsies
skinsfan1177
NjWeatherGuy
sroc4
47 posters

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

Feb 9th-10th Storm Final Discussion/Observations - Page 11 Empty Re: Feb 9th-10th Storm Final Discussion/Observations

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:31 am

jmanley32 wrote:snow man it actually does make things quieter if you live rurally. snow acts as a insulator and hence sound does not bounce off it as easily instead it absorbs it.  As a kid I always used to notice how much quieter it was when it was snowing, its also because all the animals go to sleep.  Snow is also the safest place to stay inside if you are stranded in like the mountains as it is warmer in a snow shelter than it is outside.  I hope we can up this to a 6 incher that'd be cool.  Unfortunently my snow is a block of ice and any snow on top of it is only going to keep it that way.  Its razor blade sharp when broken as its all ice from the FRZ we had and I can almost walk on top of it and im no small guy!  Maybe close to a foot on the ground underneath it.

Jman:

I was visiting a client in Yonkers yesterday on Mclean Avenue, I see what you mean about the streets, I had to drive over a mound of snow just to be able to park on a side street. I was lucky I got out before everything refroze again last night.

CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Feb 9th-10th Storm Final Discussion/Observations - Page 11 Empty Re: Feb 9th-10th Storm Final Discussion/Observations

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:41 am

Central Jersey especially the coast does OK with the 12z NAM, it's only one run but potential for a moderate event is still there.

CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by cooladi Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:25 am

Here in Franklin Square, Nassau County, Town of Hempstead (giving criticism where it's due, LOL) we are still not plowed out from the last storm. Main arteries of course are fine, but side streets have snow (now ice) piled high 3 feet out from each curb, making it impossible for cars to park and narrowing the road to barely one lane for cars. Some commercial properties, Taco Bell on Hempstead Tpke. in particular, never even attempted to clear their sidewalks, and pedestrians are forced to share the narrowed lanes of the streets with cars. So dangerous. I commute in the morning before the sun is up, and return at night after it's gone done, and I'm literally taking my life in my hands walking in the street. Especially frustrating since I single handedly managed to clear the snow from my own residential property...

cooladi
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:28 am

What amounts are we talking about here for cnj coast?
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:41 am

No map with this storm. My call right now is a 1-3 inch storm area wide. If I had to label a 3+ inch section, I would say interior central and southern NJ. But for the most part, 1-3 inches.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:47 am

Frank_Wx wrote:No map with this storm. My call right now is a 1-3 inch storm area wide. If I had to label a 3+ inch section, I would say interior central and southern NJ. But for the most part, 1-3 inches.

Frank:

Do you see anything in regards to this setup Sunday night to make you think a last minute enhancement of the precip to a 3-6 inch event is possible?
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:50 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
Frank_Wx wrote:No map with this storm. My call right now is a 1-3 inch storm area wide. If I had to label a 3+ inch section, I would say interior central and southern NJ. But for the most part, 1-3 inches.

Frank:

Do you see anything in regards to this setup Sunday night to make you think a last minute enhancement of the precip to a 3-6 inch event is possible?

Only frontogenesis (lift in the upper levels) could enhance snowfall rates. It doesn't look impressive right now on the vertical vorticity maps. Maybe southern New England. Without blocking, the low moves vastly in the zonal flow. In sum, no I do not. At least not right now.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:51 am

Timing is about 5-6pm start time and will end overnight Sunday. Probably 2-3am ish.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:24 am

The low is popped off the jersey coast like I mentioned in a write up Thursday night but it only gets stronger for SNE and NE not us at this point. Pooppys I say but it will be a nice fresh coating to our snowpack. Hopefully it surprises and 12Z runs wishcasting to show this.

Let' hope it enhances just off the coast and trends wetter.

Feb 9th-10th Storm Final Discussion/Observations - Page 11 Gfs_mslpa_us_15

Last edited by amugs on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:26 am

Just reviewed the models and I think that 1-3" is most likely to occur. It is a quick hitting system and will perform similar to the clipper that dropped around 2" area-wide. Just a nuisance event and will freshen up the snowpack a bit.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by WOLVES1 Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:39 am

oldtimer wrote:Its a great group over here  Always something to learn and great knowledge  They know how to explain things so we can get some understanding of what is being said  And the graphics  Wow    To Wolves

Thank you I changed my picture show both my dogs timber is the bigger of the two he's a tamaskan but sometimes I think he may have some wolf in him, the breeder we got him from does breed  hybrid wolves. But he is very sweet except can get a little protective of my kids especially my daughter. Koda is an Alaskan Klee klai. Sorry for going off topic but they love snow and would love another storm or two or three. Frank think you can make it happen they would love you for it. Sorry the picture is sideways not very good with computers.
WOLVES1
WOLVES1

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:41 am

GFS shows area wide 1-3" meanwhile the NAM shows 1" over most of NJ and less than 1 inch in NJ around NYC, in NYC, and LI.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:55 am

Snowman, small world I live right off MClean Ave! My road is bad all parking spots are ice now, impossible to get in and out of unless you have a pick ax. I feel there is something going on either with Yonkers budget or there is some kind of boycot. It was on News 12 how much in a uproar people are. No matter how difficult it may be I feel they should continue alternate side parking and clean the snow from the streets so cars can park. There are shoveled pile 5 feet high and some cars are completely blocked in and what snow has been plowed is now so hard its impossible to drive through and thus has to be chopped through, risk to your health esepcailly older people. I am totally disappointed with my city to say the least. If we get another 1-3 or man 3-6 itsd justy got to be a majoe mess, there is NOWHERE to put it!
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:58 am

I made a prediction to my class last week that we would have a decent show this past wednesday. When I came to class this week, they were all floored that I knew a week ahead of time and now I am their go to man, however I give credit where credit is due and thank you Frank and everyone else for the information and I tell them I don't know this stuff on my own its from these great guys! so THANKS, im the popular weather guy now lol!
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:59 am

I will admit, I want it to snow even though im going to piss and whine about how to park etc lol.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:03 pm

My girlfriend spends three nights a week caring for her elderly Mom near central Ave where the new Nathans is.She tells me her Mom's road was never plowed and the sideroads are a mess. Her Mom's neighbor hired a snowplow to clear the street in front of her house so she could get the kids to school.

This is an atrocious and abominable situation.They pay high taxes down there.I'd go down to that DPW with all the neighbors and call the press.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by mako460 Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:16 pm

My block was plowed once, two days after Mondays storm so i was left with a 3" thick slab of ice and then the next storm added a few inches of ice and snow and that hasn't been touched since. Parking is almost impossible. Channel 12 came down and did a news report right from my block and now it is Saturday and still nothing. So tomorrow's 2-3 inches should only add to the mess.

mako460
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:20 pm

Mako, your tax dollars at work.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:57 pm

jmanley32 wrote:Snowman, small world I live right off MClean Ave!  My road is bad all parking spots are ice now, impossible to get in and out of unless you have a pick ax.  I feel there is something going on either with Yonkers budget or there is some kind of boycot.  It was on News 12 how much in a uproar people are.  No matter how difficult it may be I feel they should continue alternate side parking and clean the snow from the streets so cars can park.  There are shoveled pile 5 feet high and some cars are completely blocked in and what snow has been plowed is now so hard its impossible to drive through and thus has to be chopped through, risk to your health esepcailly older people.  I am totally disappointed with my city to say the least.  If we get another 1-3 or man 3-6 itsd justy got to be a majoe mess, there is NOWHERE to put it!

I was the one on McLean Avenue Friday, Jman. I have a client in Yonkers and another  in Riverdale in the Bronx so I'm in that area at least a couple of days a month.

It's a 45 mile drive for me, for snowman it's gotta be at least 75 so I doubt he was there Friday, but who knows. LOL
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:31 pm

Sorry CP I am tired, missed that one. I hope we get on last hoorah major blizzard (which we haven't reaqlly had) before the season is out. These smaller storms are fun but a all out crazt storm would be worthwhile to pay the price on the parking issues. I remember the boxing day snowstorm, it was no better until days after when finally thy brought heavy eqyuipment including loaders into my area to truck away some of the snow. Before that it was near impossible to drive in 22 inches of snow. I havent seen any side roads off of Central Ave, but I wouldn't doubt it its all over Yonkers. Spano needs to do something.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:45 pm

How about this guys, I went to my town DPW since I ran out of salt yesterday and need some for my front walkway - see if I could garb a small bucket load. When I went to the back I asked one of the workers and he said sure help yourself cause that's all we go for the rest of the winter and I looked at him and said this little 3x3x5 pile is all we have left - and he said most politely yes sir we have exhausted our budget for salt and snow removal no more OT just straight time so if we get a big storm we can only plow for our 8 hour shift and there are only 6 guys left out of nine - one retired and two were let go.  Can't make this stuff up and he also said many towns in NNJ are in the same situation. Oh boy and schools have gone over their emergency closing allotment - my school is two days over with 4-5 weeks to go for winter! Jeez.

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:11 pm

WOW, mugs! Thats sincerely scary as I feel we will get our major storm before the winter is over. I have a feeling its the same situation. Heres somethibng odd I saw a few storms back. A snow plow stopped outside and spun his salt spreader putting aimmensie amount of salt in one spot, so much it made a pile, what a waste!!! No wonder they are running out, is it sabotage or pure idiotic workers.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:17 pm

jmanley32 wrote:WOW, mugs! Thats sincerely scary as I feel we will get our major storm before the winter is over.  I have a feeling its the same situation.  Heres somethibng odd I saw a few storms back.  A snow plow stopped outside and spun his salt spreader putting aimmensie amount of salt in one spot, so much it made a pile, what a waste!!!  No wonder they are running out, is it sabotage or pure idiotic workers.

Jman, easy my man.  I hear your frustration there and I have respect for these guys - my neighbor is a DPW guy as is a family member here and some friends. Hey we all make mistakes now and again but anyway it is a serious situation for many cities and town in this area and they sent out a message to us last week before Mondays storm that only primary roads would be salted.

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:17 pm

Nam: Looking a little more interesting through midnight Sunday night. I could see a general 2-3 inches area wide that run, maybe 4 in a spot or two. Very progressive, in and out so fast even 4 would be a stretch IMO.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:26 pm

SREF trended a tick wetter again.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/SREF21PRSNE_15z/srefloop.html
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:53 pm

Latest nam also supports 1-3 inches

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:06 pm

The highest QPF in the area is in CNJ where there is about .2" QPF. The NAM has been consistent in saying that NYC and LI get closer to .1". If this continues I will make a forecast for 1-3" for most of NJ and T-1" for NYC/LI.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum