NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Polar Blast 2.0 Thursday-Friday, Some Snow Too

+33
weatherwatchermom
SNOW MAN
ClimateControl
Analog96
HeresL
snemiroff
Dunnzoo
Vinnydula
1190ftalt
carvin1079
SoulSingMG
aiannone
cooladi
NjWeatherGuy
algae888
amugs
skinsfan1177
sroc4
snowday111
jmanley32
essexcountypete
Biggin23
Taffy
Quietace
Dtone
2004blackwrx
snow247
billg315
docstox12
CPcantmeasuresnow
Math23x7
Abba701
Frank_Wx
37 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Will CPK get below 0 Thursday night?

Polar Blast 2.0 Thursday-Friday, Some Snow Too - Page 2 Vote_lcap44%Polar Blast 2.0 Thursday-Friday, Some Snow Too - Page 2 Vote_rcap 44% 
[ 28 ]
Polar Blast 2.0 Thursday-Friday, Some Snow Too - Page 2 Vote_lcap56%Polar Blast 2.0 Thursday-Friday, Some Snow Too - Page 2 Vote_rcap 56% 
[ 36 ]

Total Votes : 64

Polar Blast 2.0 Thursday-Friday, Some Snow Too - Page 2 Empty Re: Polar Blast 2.0 Thursday-Friday, Some Snow Too

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:24 am

Frank_Wx wrote:So far:

Yes: 11
No: 4

Ha!

I do think there will be more CAA to work with this go around. Should be interesting Wink

Big change in the polls Frank, No is definitely capturing the independent voters. It's 14-12 now an 8-3 swing for No since the early returns. Once the rural areas all report I think yes is toast.

CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Polar Blast 2.0 Thursday-Friday, Some Snow Too - Page 2 Empty Re: Polar Blast 2.0 Thursday-Friday, Some Snow Too

Post by docstox12 Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:28 am

Logic and reason favor the no's here but with this fresh snowpack down there, who knows.Depends on the wind that night.Going with a seat of the pant gut feeling and voted yes,LOL!

docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:29 am

Vote YES!
Polar Blast 2.0 Thursday-Friday, Some Snow Too - Page 2 Hr1h410
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffy Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:32 am

Doc...I voted by the seat of my pants, a little intuition, and threw in a little logic and voted no!
Taffy
Taffy
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:34 am

54% yes
46% no

Should be interesting

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:49 am

The momentum and logic is on No's side.

To many promises by Yes that it can't possibly fulfill. Yes is a typical politician, lot's of promises but can't deliver. No just says vote for me because I can't and won't do anything, at least you respect the honesty even though the effort is poor.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:52 am

Temps:

Thursday morning

Polar Blast 2.0 Thursday-Friday, Some Snow Too - Page 2 Gfs_T2m_neus_10

Friday morning

Polar Blast 2.0 Thursday-Friday, Some Snow Too - Page 2 Gfs_T2m_neus_14

Saturday morning

Polar Blast 2.0 Thursday-Friday, Some Snow Too - Page 2 Gfs_T2m_neus_18

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:55 am

Frank, aren't there laws against electioneering 500 feet from a polling place?

Obviously you are in the back pocket of yes. It's a harsh charge but I suspect bribery.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:57 am

Haha, I think CAA is more impressive this time around. Lower DDM heights and not as much wind. Friday night I think it will happen.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:01 am

Look for widespread to 1" to 3" amounts tomorrow night into Thursday morning. Another high ratio snowfall along the arctic front.

Polar Blast 2.0 Thursday-Friday, Some Snow Too - Page 2 GemregPR06.18

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by snow247 Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:22 am

Someone said on the other board that the snow showers tomorrow and Thursday could have 40+ to 1 ratios!

Last edited by snow247 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
snow247
snow247
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:22 am

To add to the cold debate, 850's are going to be much colder this time around than earlier this week. Looking at -25*C. That's crazy. Will also make snow ratios between 25:1 to 30:1 as long as there is enough forcing.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:27 am

12z NAM by Wednesday night into early Thursday morning

Polar Blast 2.0 Thursday-Friday, Some Snow Too - Page 2 NAM_MSLPThickQPF_ne_f39

Polar Blast 2.0 Thursday-Friday, Some Snow Too - Page 2 NAM_MSLPThickQPF_ne_f42

Polar Blast 2.0 Thursday-Friday, Some Snow Too - Page 2 NAM_CritThickRH_ne_f39

Polar Blast 2.0 Thursday-Friday, Some Snow Too - Page 2 NAM_500mbHgtVort_ne_f39

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggin23 Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:36 am

I just voted yes, but that may just be me riding the over performing wave of last night's system.

Biggin23

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:44 am

Biggin23 wrote:I just voted yes, but that may just be me riding the over performing wave of last night's system.

Of course you did because Frank is rigging the election. Where is Preet Bharara when you need him? This certainly supercedes Sheldon Silver taking 4 million in bribes.

Yes is unfulfilled promises and no substance.

No is reality and telling it like it is.

Vote NO because sometimes you just have to hear the truth not empty promises.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:49 am

No is losing the debate. Have not seen a single argument for it.

Friday 7am temps

Polar Blast 2.0 Thursday-Friday, Some Snow Too - Page 2 Gfs_t2m_b_nyc_14

850mb temps

Polar Blast 2.0 Thursday-Friday, Some Snow Too - Page 2 Gfs_t850_nyc_14

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:52 am

Since there don't seem to be any electioneering laws regarding this poll let me make my case for no.

The temperature has not dropped below zero in central Park in 20 years. The last time was January 1994 when it hit 2° below zero. On that same morning temperatures around the area ranged from a record-tying 34 below zero in northwest New Jersey, to 20 to 25° below zero in the Hudson Valley towns of Newburgh, Middletown, Kingston, and Poughkeepsie. That gives you an idea of how cold an air mass we needin the surrounding area around New York City to get the heat island below zero.

Conditions would have to be absolutely perfect for that to happen. Unlike surrounding areas which have their coldest nights when the wind is calm, it's cloudless and there is a decent snow cover. For New York City to continue to cool during the night you need the cloudless and the snow cover of course, but you also need some wind to carry the effects of the heat island off the island and out to sea.

I just don't see that happening and that's why I voted no.

I'm CP and I approved this message.

Last edited by CPcantmeasuresnow on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:55 am; edited 2 times in total
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:54 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:Since there don't seem to be any electioneering laws regarding this poll let me make my case for no.

The temperature has not dropped below zero in central Park in 20 years. The last time was January 1994 when it hit 2° below zero. On that same morning temperatures around the area ranged from a record-tying 34 below zero in northwest New Jersey, to 20 to 25° below zero in the Hudson Valley towns of Newburgh, Middletown, Kingston, and Poughkeepsie.

That gives you an idea of how cold an air mass we needin the surrounding area around New York City to get the heat island below zero.

Conditions would have to be absolutely perfect for that to happen. Unlike surrounding areas which have their coldest nights when the wind is calm, cloudless and with a snow cover, for New York City to continue to cool during the night you need the cloudless and the snow cover of course helps but you also need some wind to carry the effects of the heat island off the island and out to sea.

I just don't see that happening and that's why I voted no. And if you care about your kids in the world they will inherit you will vote no also.

I'm CP and I approved this message.

Hahaha

I will add to the "no" argument by saying there were less buildings in 1994 and not as much of a heat island effect.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:54 am

However, we have a modest snow cover to work with as well.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by snow247 Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:52 am

12z GFS looking real good for the snow on Thursday.
snow247
snow247
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:59 am

Surface low tries to pop south of the BM

Polar Blast 2.0 Thursday-Friday, Some Snow Too - Page 2 GFS_MSLPThickQPF_ne_f42

Not going to happen quick enough for us. Just an inch or two. Isolated 3 spot. We'll see if it trends stronger at all

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by snow247 Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:02 am

GFS is saying Thursday-Friday definitely needs to be watched, 00z EURO from last night saying the same.
snow247
snow247
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by essexcountypete Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:17 am

I voted no for CPK, but I think I get below 0 in Bloomfield. We were so close last week.
essexcountypete
essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:20 am

Wow, wheres the moderators when u need them lol, just had to shuffle my way through all this BANTEr about politics lol, really follow the rules guys totally kidding, anyways this cold is insane! Look at interior areas, -25 surface! When was the last time we saw that in upper Hudson valley and CT, yikes! Another 1-3 is fine with me, but are we gonna look at any bigger storms coming in?
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:51 am

jmanley32 wrote:Wow, wheres the moderators when u need them lol, just had to shuffle my way through all this BANTEr about politics lol, really follow the rules guys totally kidding, anyways this cold is insane!  Look at interior areas, -25 surface!  When was the last time we saw that in upper Hudson valley and CT, yikes!  Another 1-3 is fine with me, but are we gonna look at any bigger storms coming in?  

Upper HV is past Albany so they see that frequently.

The last time the Mid and LHV, not including most of rockland and westchester saw -20 to -25 was January 1994.

Most places in CT didn't get to -20 except the NW corner of the state.

NW Jersey had a report of -34 but the NWS I don't think recognized it. The -26 at Sussex was the recognized low.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:16 pm

With a closed off H5 center N&W and energy rounding off the base of the trough, there may be coastal enhancement, or an IVT, Thursday morning.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by snowday111 Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:14 pm

What's the timeframe on this? Thursday morning or Thursday into Friday?

snowday111

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum