NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wx Banter Thread 2.0

+53
Snow88
JoeBx82
keliza52
mwilli5783
abayoumi21
down tines
Aerojet514
JackShephard
Scullybutcher
jake732
Sanchize06
Nyi1058
deadrabbit79
Sparky Sparticles
Taffy
SNOW MAN
nutleyblizzard
Bkdude
rb924119
Mathgod55
jimv45
devsman
Dtone
Vinnydula
GreyBeard
SoulSingMG
hyde345
dkodgis
Quietace
oldtimer
lglickman1
RJB8525
snow247
NjWeatherGuy
Snowfall
Abba701
amugs
weatherwatchermom
HectorO
skinsfan1177
sroc4
jmanley32
algae888
CPcantmeasuresnow
Grselig
Dunnzoo
Math23x7
billg315
docstox12
Radz
Frank_Wx
dad4twoboys
frank 638
57 posters

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 32 Empty Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by frank 638 Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:58 pm

i know how u feel at least we had juno this year that was a good storm other then that it has been a lousy winter with couple of cold shots with that record cold of -2 below zero .so many snow chances but it did not work out bring on the spring and summer ready for tstorms

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:28 pm

nutleyblizzard wrote:Ok folks time to vent. Other than Juno, this winter has been an outright disaster having only getting a mere 5 inches of snow thanks in part of our old friend El Nino. That damn subtropical jet was too strong making us torch most of the time. Also what's the deal with the lack of blocking during winter months. Last time we had a dominate -NAO regime in the winter was 2010! Oh well already looking forward to next winter. It's going to be a long 9 months.

I still want to know who the wise ass was that gave this winter an A? I thought giving this winter a C was a bit of a stretch but an A? Ban the anonymous bastard, but in a humane way.

CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:51 pm

You guys might like this.  20 years ago today, March 2nd, 1996, NYC broke the seasonal snowfall record of 63.2" from 1947-48.  It's just a shame I was too young to appreciate it at the time.  But I came across this youtube video beginning with 1010 WINS hour open broadcast in the background:

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:02 am

Grselig wrote:What a frustrating situation.  Another potentially devastating storm reduced to nearly flurries.  Super Tuesday has come and gone and victors have been, for the most part, determined.  Spring has had a virtual chokehold on winter all year, and except for a few well placed jabs, is victorious.    

I think we need more users with Snow in of our names to balance the weather.  From now on I want to be called  ThunderSnowGRS.  

A very poetic piece Thundersnow.

Sad to report that your name change will require you to reapply for citizenship on OTI.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:29 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
Dtone wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:The average HIGH temperature in NYC doesn't hit 70 until May 11, granted we'll always have some days that go above before May that's what makes up averages.

What I don't get and never will is why everyone is in such a rush for spring after a winter that never was.

A spring filled with rainy days in the 40s and dreary back door cold fronts robbing us of warmth just to the west or south is just as depressing.
Even in good winters the chance of snow falls off rapidly by mid March. If nothing develops in the next 7 days, I'll be just about ready to close the books on this winter and move on. Your window for snowfall is a little longer up your way so you have that hope to keep you going a while longer.

Without the Jan blizzard you would of won the snowfall contest for this winter.

Dtone:

I'm not sure I can discuss this with the man that just gave this winter a B.

If Patton were here he'd slap your face. Of course If Patton were here he'd water board the bastard that gave this winter an A. Hector????

lol! lol! lol!

Friggin' hilarious,CP.

Maybe one of those old trolls from the Channel 7 Board, Phil or LauLeR, got on here to torment you with that A grade.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:31 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
Grselig wrote:What a frustrating situation.  Another potentially devastating storm reduced to nearly flurries.  Super Tuesday has come and gone and victors have been, for the most part, determined.  Spring has had a virtual chokehold on winter all year, and except for a few well placed jabs, is victorious.    

I think we need more users with Snow in of our names to balance the weather.  From now on I want to be called  ThunderSnowGRS.  

Sad to report that your name change will require you to reapply for citizenship on OTI.

He's right, Grselig, think it over.Now that OTI is about to shut down for the season, citizenship paperwork on OTI will not be processed until re-opening in the Fall of 2016.Just sayin......
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:59 am

docstox12 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

He's right, Grselig, think it over.Now that OTI is about to shut down for the season, citizenship paperwork on OTI will not be processed until re-opening in the Fall of 2016.Just sayin......

Excellent point!!!! I value my citizenship as I know we don't need to make OTI great again. It is great right now!!!! The people of OTI are very wise.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:40 am

What a shame - so much potential with coastals but things did not align - till next winter - taking a break after this weekend heck maybe after tomorrow at noon for a while - winter over, was over after the cold snap - went downhill when we missed the beast on Feb 2nd . Happened in 2013-14 remember - after the Feb 14th storm that year everything stayed S&E.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Dtone Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:31 am

Math23x7 wrote:You guys might like this.  20 years ago today, March 2nd, 1996, NYC broke the seasonal snowfall record of 63.2" from 1947-48.  It's just a shame I was too young to appreciate it at the time.  But I came across this youtube video beginning with 1010 WINS hour open broadcast in the background:

I remember fairly well, I was in my teens at the time. 60"+ of snow was amazing at that time, little did I know we'd easily sail past the record to a total of 75.6"
and the last time I'd see snow of any significance in NYC for several years.

That was the best winter of my life (not including lake effect snows I've seen in college)
I forgot the exact year but the the winter a few yrs ago where we had the longest stretch of snow cover was close to replacing 95-96. That was the deepest snow pack i've seen at one time, more than anything in 95-96. I think 2009 -10 or 2010 - 11? I get those yrs mixed up.

Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:12 am

2010-11 we had snowpack from late December to Mid February. CPK measures the snow depth daily at 7 AM and every day from 12/27/10 to I think 2/17/11 it had a snowpack. The next day(2/18/11) it was 67 degrees in NYC with afternoon sunshine and I took a stroll through Van Cortlandt Park. And when I got back to my dorm room at Manhattan College, I saw some baseball talk (specifically spring training) on the old Channel 7 Chat board (and I first learned then that Frank was a Yankee fan. I had actually suggested to Bill Evans that WABC should create a sports chat board. They never did unfortunately but Frank made it one here which I like. Anyway, getting back to my weather talk, that night a sharp cold front moved through and the following evening it was 20s and windy. Not fun.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:05 pm

Just sitting here..Stuck in the house with a kid who is sick again.(omg-can't take it) Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil ...thinking about all the work he will have to make up being out yesterday and today(5th grade no joke, but thank goodness and A student) and hoping I wake up to a beautiful blizzard of white tomorrow with all the forecasters having been wrong about the snow... A girl can dream can't she???
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:15 pm

weatherwatchermom wrote:Just sitting here..Stuck in the house with a kid who is sick again.(omg-can't take it) Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil ...thinking about all the work he will have to make up being out yesterday and today(5th grade no joke, but thank goodness and A student) and hoping I wake up to a beautiful blizzard of white tomorrow with all the forecasters having been wrong about the snow... A girl can dream can't she???

Yes she can. I hope your kid feels better. 

I'm downgrading my winter grade to a C. Tomorrow event pissed me off. I expected it to stay offshore but to see a sub 990mb low south and east of the BM is CRUSHING

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:41 am

Frank_Wx wrote:
weatherwatchermom wrote:Just sitting here..Stuck in the house with a kid who is sick again.(omg-can't take it) Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil ...thinking about all the work he will have to make up being out yesterday and today(5th grade no joke, but thank goodness and A student) and hoping I wake up to a beautiful blizzard of white tomorrow with all the forecasters having been wrong about the snow... A girl can dream can't she???

Yes she can. I hope your kid feels better. 

I'm downgrading my winter grade to a C. Tomorrow event pissed me off. I expected it to stay offshore but to see a sub 990mb low south and east of the BM is

CRUSHING

Thanks Frank..(unfortunately he is still pretty sick today)..and we do have pretty snow this morning albeit is is only about an inch and a half it is still pretty...I did see how big this storm looks for the fishies and it makes me sad...on the Bright side you will be traveling and that is always fun! So I hope you have safe and fun travels next week!!
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:07 pm

For the snow lover inside of me, 15 years ago today featured the most heartbreaking moment. The days leading up to this I remember hearing the forecast calling for a major to historic snowstorm beginning the night of Sunday March 4th, 2001 and ending late on Tuesday March 6th, 2001 (I was 10 years old at the time). That Sunday morning, the school called announcing the cancellation of school for Monday and Tuesday. That night I went to bed anticipating seeing deep snow from the storm. When I woke up on the morning of Monday March 5th, I looked out the window and barely an inch fell. It was depressing  Sad

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nutleyblizzard Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:24 am

Math23x7 wrote:For the snow lover inside of me, 15 years ago today featured the most heartbreaking moment. The days leading up to this I remember hearing the forecast calling for a major to historic snowstorm beginning the night of Sunday March 4th, 2001 and ending late on Tuesday March 6th, 2001 (I was 10 years old at the time). That Sunday morning, the school called announcing the cancellation of school for Monday and Tuesday. That night I went to bed anticipating seeing deep snow from the storm. When I woke up on the morning of Monday March 5th, I looked out the window and barely an inch fell. It was depressing  Sad
Somebody had to bring that event up again. It was truly the mother of all fails. It was a fascinating setup. A large ocean storm would be supposedly captured by a strong clipper diving out of the great lakes and the two would merge into a superstorm. Blocking was also in place. It was a true snow weenie scenario.  I remember Al Roker (when he was still a large man) showing a preliminary map 48 hours before the event 2-3 feet for NYC metro and 3-4 feet from Morristown westward! The reason this one hurt the most was that all the models were in agreement of a huge hit 36 hours before the event. Then one of the models started to show the capture would take place further north into New England. The rest was history. I only received a few inches. Still irks me to this day. Mad
nutleyblizzard
nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:41 am

nutleyblizzard wrote:
Math23x7 wrote:For the snow lover inside of me, 15 years ago today featured the most heartbreaking moment. The days leading up to this I remember hearing the forecast calling for a major to historic snowstorm beginning the night of Sunday March 4th, 2001 and ending late on Tuesday March 6th, 2001 (I was 10 years old at the time). That Sunday morning, the school called announcing the cancellation of school for Monday and Tuesday. That night I went to bed anticipating seeing deep snow from the storm. When I woke up on the morning of Monday March 5th, I looked out the window and barely an inch fell. It was depressing  Sad
Somebody had to bring that event up again. It was truly the mother of all fails. It was a fascinating setup. A large ocean storm would be supposedly captured by a strong clipper diving out of the great lakes and the two would merge into a superstorm. Blocking was also in place. It was a true snow weenie scenario.  I remember Al Roker (when he was still a large man) showing a preliminary map 48 hours before the event 2-3 feet for NYC metro and 3-4 feet from Morristown westward! The reason this one hurt the most was that all the models were in agreement of a huge hit 36 hours before the event. Then one of the models started to show the capture would take place further north into New England. The rest was history. I only received a few inches. Still irks me to this day. Mad

"History shows again and again how Nature proves the folly of Men!".......Blue Oyster Cult.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:08 pm

In case anyone is interested......

http://www.bergenskywarn.org/Pages/BergenSkywarnTrainingClasses.htm

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:40 pm

Dunnzoo wrote:In case anyone is interested......

http://www.bergenskywarn.org/Pages/BergenSkywarnTrainingClasses.htm

thank you
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:25 pm

Standard Time Warmth: A Big waste!

When it's nice and warm outside, nothing beats outdoor activities in the daylight.  When it occurs at in improper time, however, there is very little time to do so because our clocks are set an hour behind when they would be during the warmer months.  This looks to be the case this week as temperatures are set to get into the 70s, but it will be dark by 6 PM due to the clock change towards Daylight Savings Time not beginning until this Sunday March 13th.  

Since 2007, Daylight Savings Time has begun on the second Sunday in March and has ended on the first Sunday in November.  Here is a list of the 70 degree days in NYC that occurred on days where maybe having the clocks set forward would not be so bad:

January 6th, 2007: 72
March 7th, 2009: 70
November 28th, 2011: 70
March 8th, 2012: 71
December 22nd, 2013: 71
November 3rd, 2015: 72
November 4th, 2015: 70
November 5th, 2015: 71
November 6th, 2015: 74
November 7th, 2015: 72
December 24th, 2015: 72

Prior to 2007, DST began on the first Sunday in April and ended the last Sunday in October.  That makes me think about the last five days of March 1998 when the high temperature at CPK was 80+ each day.  The sun set at around 6:15 PM.  Imagine how much better that warmth would have been had the sun set at around 7:15 PM.....

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffy Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:26 am

Math

You and your statistics amaze me. You are a living breathing computer.
Taffy
Taffy
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:14 pm

Yup...its an oldy and its been posted on here I believe earlier this year, but it applies once again and makes me laugh just as hard every time.

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:13 am

Frank hope you are ok were you are? hear there is historic flooding!!
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Snow88 Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:43 am

This warmth sucks
Snow88
Snow88
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Bkdude Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:47 am

I second that. Plenty of time for it later

Bkdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Snow88 Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:52 am

Bkdude wrote:I second that. Plenty of time for it later

Agree Cool
Snow88
Snow88
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:03 am

Snow88 wrote:This warmth sucks

It feels awesome. As far as time for it later. I think it was like 2007/08 or a little before can't remember. Where we had a mild winter and the spring turned out hot, which everyone though was going to lead into a hell feeling summer and it did the opposite. We had like the 4th coolest july on record. At this point there is no need for winter to be extended, just bring on spring. If it did snow it would melt within hours anyways.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:58 pm

Hector maybe you are thinking about the year 2000.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum