NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wx Banter Thread 2.0

+53
Snow88
JoeBx82
keliza52
mwilli5783
abayoumi21
down tines
Aerojet514
JackShephard
Scullybutcher
jake732
Sanchize06
Nyi1058
deadrabbit79
Sparky Sparticles
Taffy
SNOW MAN
nutleyblizzard
Bkdude
rb924119
Mathgod55
jimv45
devsman
Dtone
Vinnydula
GreyBeard
SoulSingMG
hyde345
dkodgis
Quietace
oldtimer
lglickman1
RJB8525
snow247
NjWeatherGuy
Snowfall
Abba701
amugs
weatherwatchermom
HectorO
skinsfan1177
sroc4
jmanley32
algae888
CPcantmeasuresnow
Grselig
Dunnzoo
Math23x7
billg315
docstox12
Radz
Frank_Wx
dad4twoboys
frank 638
57 posters

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 31 Empty Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by Isotherm Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:56 pm

The snow from this winter's blizzard didn't melt immediately in my area. I had snow on the ground almost every day from Jan 17th-Feb 10th. So for me, a winter like this is more exciting than 5 6" events spread throughout. I thoroughly enjoyed the past couple of winters, but honestly found myself left with a bit of a "void" due to the fact that the 15"+ snowstorms were absent since 2010-11. I would be surprised if we went March completely snowless, but this winter only needs one more significant event (6"+) to be at least a B in my area. Temp departures averaged +0.7 here for Jan-feb (0.0 jan, +1.4 Feb). Jan-Feb was nowhere near as torchy in the East as most of the super Nino years (83, 73, 98). Overall, it's an "OK" winter here for now.

Isotherm
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

http://www.lightinthestorm.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:41 am

amugs wrote:
Quietace wrote:
sroc4 wrote:If you have a Weather Bell Acct Joe D'Aleo has an interesting discussion last night.  He discusses the global temps in relation to the El Nino/La Nina, PDO(Pacific Decadal Oscillation) and AMO(Atlantic Multi-decadal Oscillation) cycles.  Its filled with graphs and maps; too many for me to post here, but his conclusion:
"When the AMO goes negative and is joined by the PDO in the years ahead, the arctic will cool and ice return."

http://www.weatherbell.com/premium/joe-daleo/temperatures-as-they-relate-to-the-oceans-1
I see his points...yet I question his decision to use Tmax temps for the reason I quote "not contaminated by UHI as much as the minimum." UHI is part of global climatology now, thus excluding its effect on temperatures is negligent. Part of the increase in global 2mT is due to rapid sub-urbanization, large use of low specific heat/albedo substances; and more recently the decrease in active rural sensors. I understand his point in excluding UHI to compare how global temps how have increased without UHI(in rural areas), but withdrawing that impact in total, or partly is again disappointing as I stated prior, UHI is part of today's climatology.

more recently the decrease in active rural sensors. - this is what Brikner talks about in his book on the Climate in the HV and NYC Metro - hundreds of sensors that have been turned off - listening to him talk about this at a presentation he gave was very interesting - he wrote to NWS about this and they really ticked him off with their response of to the fact "they are no longer needed in our forecasting climatology system". UHI that was once just for the big cities has spread some 20 miles plus outside of this zone since teh early 1980's - talked about this in a post in this thread and in CP NYC thread as well. Where I live today in NENJ was once a ruralish area going back to the  to mid 1980's with lots of wooded tracts of land and numerous farms. In the last 30 years now we have urbanized these tracts of land. It all adds up IMO. Lastly, can we please remove the sensors on at the airports? For crying all night put the heat sensors on top of the vents from the tunnels and subways why don't we to this point - ever stand on teh tarmac or at teh end of teh runway - I have many times - before 9-11 yuo could watch planes take off and land at will at Newark and man was it hot from tarmac to the jet exhaust every 30-60 seconds of planes taking off and landing - just sayin.
You have to note why sensors were turned off. Some of them had high CRN categorical errors, while others were eliminated due to budget cuts and deferred maintenance(similarly to how our oceanic floating buoy network has diminished). I would like to question your point for moving airport sensors. Where would you move them in big cities? You can not move them into a park as that would skew correct temperature readings for the city due to UHI. The reasons airports are used is for quality control of data. NOAA has requirements, and usually these requirements are only met at airports in big cities.
-Sensor must be 5 feet above the ground (+/- 1 foot).
-Must be over a level terrain with an open area clearing so the thermometers are freely ventilated by air flow.
-Sensor should be no closer than 4 times the height of any obstruction (tree, fence, building, etc.).
-Sensor should be at least 100 feet from any paved or concrete surface
I will note that none of this matters if a majority of stations are CRN-4 anyway. Data is already skewed, as is not adjusted. I give the example of KMJX(Toms River). It ran at CRN-5 for a while before being fixed. I remember seeing 100 degree reading all the time in the summer.

Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:51 am

With the HRRRX, why will we not discontinue the RAP. HRRR is 3km res vs 13km. They should just downscale the RAP initialization to 3km(since it already uses its 13km initialization, except for its radar at 3km) and run it to hour 18. Its a superior product, and would be one less product to maintain and upgrade.
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:19 pm

Hey did I miss something..is Frank ok? no MoMo today..
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by RJB8525 Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:17 pm

i'm ready to jump on the Spring train, another nice afternoon today. No more disappointments tell winter turn out the lights the party's over

rant finished
RJB8525
RJB8525
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:21 pm

i am with u 100 percent rjb88525 this winter has been crappy i am ready for my garden fishing yankees bbq and more

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:37 pm

weatherwatchermom wrote:Hey did I miss something..is Frank ok? no MoMo today..

It's coming. I'll have it ready for tomorrow morning. I wanted to wait another 24 hours to see if models can get a better handle on Fridays storm. Of course they're still clueless.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:06 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:
weatherwatchermom wrote:Hey did I miss something..is Frank ok? no MoMo today..

It's coming. I'll have it ready for tomorrow morning. I wanted to wait another 24 hours to see if models can get a better handle on Fridays storm. Of course they're still clueless.

no pressure..lol..I was just worried that you might still be sick!! Hope you are feeling back to your old self...and why would any storm tracking be any different this year!! Sad Sad
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:23 pm

I guess I wouldn't mind an early March snowstorm to close out what has been a - ahem - less than spectacular winter, but I'm pretty much ready to shift into Spring mode at this point. If I can't get snow in December, January and February (other than one isolated storm -- albeit a historic storm), I'd rather not make up for it in March. I'll give this end of the week storm a shot, but after that I say bring on the 60s and some baseball weather.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:01 am

The average HIGH temperature in NYC doesn't hit 70 until May 11, granted we'll always have some days that go above before May that's what makes up averages.

What I don't get and never will is why everyone is in such a rush for spring after a winter that never was.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:52 am

Using that logic CP, the average high never gets up to 90, so it shouldn't hit 90 at all yet every year since CP has kept records in 1869 it has hit 90 at least once.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:54 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:The average HIGH temperature in NYC doesn't hit 70 until May 11, granted we'll always have some days that go above before May that's what makes up averages.

What I don't get and never will is why everyone is in such a rush for spring after a winter that never was.

CP, when you see the big snowstorms going S and E of the HV but the massive rainstorms always cutting to our west perfectly,then I have had it with winter.I gave Dec, Jan and Feb a chance and now these March events look minor at best.I love fishing and being out of doors in the nice warm sun.Winter's over for me.Also, I am not a fan of brutal cold without snow.Give me 25 to 30 degrees with 20 inches of snow instead.

Just one man's humble opinion here in the snow starved HV of NY.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:55 am

Math23x7 wrote:Using that logic CP, the average high never gets up to 90, so it shouldn't hit 90 at all yet every year since CP has kept records in 1869 it has hit 90 at least once.

Mike:

You weren't reading closely
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:26 am

Okay whose the one wise ass that gave this winter an A?

It had to be someone that hates winter. Hector you're my number one suspect.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Dtone Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:31 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:The average HIGH temperature in NYC doesn't hit 70 until May 11, granted we'll always have some days that go above before May that's what makes up averages.

A spring filled with rainy days in the 40s and dreary back door cold fronts robbing us of warmth just to the west or south is just as depressing.
Even in good winters the chance of snow falls off rapidly by mid March. If nothing develops in the next 7 days, I'll be just about ready to close the books on this winter and move on. Your window for snowfall is a little longer up your way so you have that hope to keep you going a while longer.

Without the Jan blizzard you would of won the snowfall contest for this winter.

Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:40 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:Okay whose the one wise ass that gave this winter an A?

It had to be someone that hates winter. Hector you're my number one suspect.

Banish the man or woman who did such until 2020 I say.

Rb put the hex on Feb secretly and now it comes out as he admit sin the LR thread.

After this weekend snow event I am personally taking a break from weather unless comes about - severe weather, Nor'easter of the such. I do not like March except for St Pats day - grey, wet and raw month - wake me when we get to April.

Oh and watch out for the 70's next week - there will be a HP over N Maine on the latest runs - you ain't gettin' 70 with that if it verifies this time of year - your 70 will feel like 50's.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by hyde345 Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:41 am

Winter is just about over after this weekend. Put the shovels away and drain the snowblower, not that I had to use either this year anyway. I love winter but I am throwing in the towel after this weekend. This was my winter of discontent. When temps get above 70 by Wednesday-Thursday of next week then I am officially done.
hyde345
hyde345
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:29 am

Dtone wrote:

A spring filled with rainy days in the 40s and dreary back door cold fronts robbing us of warmth just to the west or south is just as depressing.
Even in good winters the chance of snow falls off rapidly by mid March. If nothing develops in the next 7 days, I'll be just about ready to close the books on this winter and move on. Your window for snowfall is a little longer up your way so you have that hope to keep you going a while longer.

Dtone:

I'm not sure I can discuss this with the man that just gave this winter a B.

If Patton were here he'd slap your face. Of course If Patton were here he'd water board the bastard that gave this winter an A. Hector????
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:58 pm

Two of the 26 plumes of the 21Z SREF give LaGuardia Airport a Godzilla later this week.  One member (ARN6) gives it 17.82" of snow and another shows 20.7" of snow.  Outside of those two, the highest snow amount has 3.89" of snow.

My reaction to the two outliers:  lol!

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:57 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
Dtone wrote:

Dtone:

I'm not sure I can discuss this with the man that just gave this winter a B.

If Patton were here he'd slap your face. Of course If Patton were here he'd water board the bastard that gave this winter an A. Hector????

Haha, B+, some days were a little to chilly in February and that storm dropped it a few points tongue
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:31 pm

I hate you LR Euro and CMC u truly stunk with this one except for one storm oh and all the cutters and rain - bite me - done after this weekend peeps had it with so much promise - big coastal as thought would be but each time something screw it up.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:54 pm

What a frustrating situation. Another potentially devastating storm reduced to nearly flurries. Super Tuesday has come and gone and victors have been, for the most part, determined. Spring has had a virtual chokehold on winter all year, and except for a few well placed jabs, is victorious.

I think we need more users with Snow in of our names to balance the weather. From now on I want to be called ThunderSnowGRS.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:01 pm

Done (at least I have an Avatar and signature!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

darn.  signature did not save!!!
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:43 pm

I never truly bought into the big coastal storm. The potential was there but the pattern aloft is pretty uninspiring

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nutleyblizzard Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:39 pm

Ok folks time to vent. Other than Juno, this winter has been an outright disaster having only getting a mere 5 inches of snow thanks in part of our old friend El Nino. That damn subtropical jet was too strong making us torch most of the time. Also what's the deal with the lack of blocking during winter months. Last time we had a dominate -NAO regime in the winter was 2010! Oh well already looking forward to next winter. It's going to be a long 9 months.
nutleyblizzard
nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:58 pm

i know how u feel at least we had juno this year that was a good storm other then that it has been a lousy winter with couple of cold shots with that record cold of -2 below zero .so many snow chances but it did not work out bring on the spring and summer ready for tstorms

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:28 pm

nutleyblizzard wrote:Ok folks time to vent. Other than Juno, this winter has been an outright disaster having only getting a mere 5 inches of snow thanks in part of our old friend El Nino. That damn subtropical jet was too strong making us torch most of the time. Also what's the deal with the lack of blocking during winter months. Last time we had a dominate -NAO regime in the winter was 2010! Oh well already looking forward to next winter. It's going to be a long 9 months.

I still want to know who the wise ass was that gave this winter an A? I thought giving this winter a C was a bit of a stretch but an A? Ban the anonymous bastard, but in a humane way.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum