NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

March Observations and Discussions

+23
Dtone
Math23x7
essexcountypete
SoulSingMG
Grselig
Radz
SNOW MAN
mikeypizano
rb924119
RJB8525
amugs
Dunnzoo
Vinnydula
aiannone
sroc4
docstox12
Frank_Wx
weatherwatchermom
billg315
jmanley32
frank 638
dkodgis
CPcantmeasuresnow
27 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

March Observations and Discussions - Page 6 Empty Re: March Observations and Discussions

Post by GreyBeard Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:31 pm

You young whippersnapper!!!

GREAT chart Mugsy of the sun angles during the year!!

Partly cloudy, calm, my poor snow back getting blasted,LOL.[/quote]

Doc, You are either channeling Johnny Carson (the unclean yak reference) or Walter Brennan(you young whippersnapper) these days. Don't know if the younger guys and gals on here can relate. I can Very Happy

Sunny and calm today. Just hit 50°. Almost went snowblind shoveling yesterday once the sun broke through. Came inside and everything was hazy Shocked

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

March Observations and Discussions - Page 6 Empty Re: March Observations and Discussions

Post by docstox12 Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:40 pm

GreyBeard wrote:You young whippersnapper!!!

GREAT chart Mugsy of the sun angles during the year!!

Partly cloudy, calm, my poor snow back getting blasted,LOL.

Doc, You are either channeling Johnny Carson (the unclean yak reference) or Walter Brennan(you young whippersnapper) these days. Don't know if the younger guys and gals on here can relate. I can Very Happy

Sunny and calm today. Just hit 50°. Almost went snowblind shoveling yesterday once the sun broke through. Came inside and everything was hazy Shocked[/quote]

LOL, thanks Greybeard! I think you, me and oldtimer are the old heads on this board.At least there are a few of us here,LOL! Have a great weekend.

Your Pal, "Little Luke" Docstox

docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:23 am

I don’t know what’s going on but I just woke up to let the dog out and it’s ripping snow. I’m at mom and dads up in Ulster county. It’s oouring snow. 1/2” on the ground.

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:44 am

Syo, there's an upper level disturbance passing through the area. I'm having a few snow flurries and snow showers in my area also.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:15 am

SNOW MAN wrote:Syo, there's an upper level disturbance passing through the area. I'm having a few snow flurries and snow showers in my area also.

Good Morning SNOWMAN and Jimmy! Yes, NWS mentioned snow showers possible to 1 PM today.LOL, the March that keeps producing snow, amazing!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:43 am

34* and Cloudy here. Radar shows snow showers just to my west. Maybe I’ll see a flurry or two this morning which is always nice.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:33 am

Intense squalls going on here on the island
March Observations and Discussions - Page 6 B9ddfe10

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:04 pm

This post will be long

I drove from my home on Long Island upstate and back yesterday to today. Along the route I noticed three distinct areas of snow cover. The first was here on Long Island. There’s less today than yesterday but it’s still here.

Upstate was fascinating. There’s no snow starting in the Bronx all the way until you reach the palisades Thruwsy merge. Then the most snow is up by exit 16 near Doc and CP. as you head north it thins out and once north of Newberg there’s none.

Then up in the Catskills once you start gaining elevation up on rt 28 there begins to be snow near Phoenecia which quickly and dramatically increases to near 2 feet solid still up by Hunter. Heading home today I went east of the river and I can attest to the fact that rt 84 is the cutoff on the east side of the Hudson. Heading down the Taconic the snow depth in northern Putnam county is impressive. Over a foot in a lot of spots. By the time you descend into Westchedter nothing at all. Then Back on Long Island you’re back into it

Jman and Soul and Al. I stopped in Yonkers at Frank Pepes to bring home a chicken and bacon pie. Way overrated and expensive.

Syosnow over and out

Last edited by syosnow94 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:57 pm

syosnow94 wrote:This post will be long

I drove from my home on Long Island upstate and back yesterday to today. Along the route I noticed three distinct areas of snow cover. The first was here on Long Island. There’s less today than yesterday but it’s still here.

Upstate was fascinating. There’s no snow starting in the Bronx all the way until you reach the palisades Thruwsy merge. Then the most snow is up by exit 16 near Doc and CP. as you head north it thins out and once north of Newberg there’s none.

Then up in the Catskills once you start gaining elevation up on rt 28 there begins to be snow near Phoenecia which quickly and dramatically increases to near 2 feet solid still up by Hunter. Heading home today I went east of the river and I can attest to the fact that rt 84 is the cutoff on the east side of the Hudson. Heading down the Taconic the snow depth in northern Putnam county is impressive. Over a foot in a lot of spots. By the time you descend into Westchedter nothing at all. Then Back on Long Island you’re back into it

Jman and Soul and Al. I stopped in Yonkers at Sal Pepes to bring home a chicken and bacon pie. Way overrated and expensive.

Syosnow over and out

Jimmy, great snowpack report! Enjoyed it very much.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:06 am

A little chilly. 24* this morning. Still running Below Normal for this time of March, but should be getting back to normal or AN temps by mid-week - before another possible BN dip next week.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:41 am

Cold, clear morning.Still have 6 inches on the level of snowpack with some shady spots 1 1/2 foot from the drifts.A few bare spots appearing where the March sun torches.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:56 am

Doc I was up in the Catskills over the weekend as you know. The streams look AWESOME for the trout opener next week

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:01 am

syosnow94 wrote:This post will be long

Jman and Soul and Al. I stopped in Yonkers at Frank Pepes to bring home a chicken and bacon pie. Way overrated and expensive.

Syosnow over and out

Great read...I used google maps to better orient myself. This link of the MT Holly snow map shows a similar picture of who were the haves and have-nots in NJ.

https://www.weather.gov/media/phi/StormReports/WSS20180322.pdf

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:03 am

syosnow94 wrote:Doc I was up in the Catskills over the weekend as you know.  The streams look AWESOME for the trout opener next week

GREAT news Jimmy! Always better than a dry early season.I'll head up to the Beaverkill late April.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:24 am

Had flurries in the early afternoon yesterday and a moderate snow shower last night around 8:00PM.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:06 am

If the 12Z NAM verifies for Thursday, a lot of people at Citi Field for the Mets Opening Day will be caught off guard. A lot of weather forecasts (and apps) have been saying 60 degrees that afternoon. But in the setup like the one this week, one which there is a battle between the chilly northeast wind and the warm/humid southwest winds. In NYC, especially Queens, the chilly air almost always wins out. So it may end up being low 40s with the northeast wind Thursday afternoon. In addition, it looks like showers would come in midday. Now, I think the game would be delayed by about an hour or so but they should still get it in.

Now, fans will probably bring the spring jackets, not anticipating this setup. As a result, people will probably overpay for sweaters and coats at the shops in the park. Now, if Janet is going, she probably will not be one of those since she has a more reliable weather source which is the NJ Strong Weather Forum.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:18 pm

Math23x7 wrote:If the 12Z NAM verifies for Thursday, a lot of people at Citi Field for the Mets Opening Day will be caught off guard.  A lot of weather forecasts (and apps) have been saying 60 degrees that afternoon.  But in the setup like the one this week, one which there is a battle between the chilly northeast wind and the warm/humid southwest winds.  In NYC, especially Queens, the chilly air almost always wins out.  So it may end up being low 40s with the northeast wind Thursday afternoon.  In addition, it looks like showers would come in midday.  Now, I think the game would be delayed by about an hour or so but they should still get it in.

Now, fans will probably bring the spring jackets, not anticipating this setup.  As a result, people will probably overpay for sweaters and coats at the shops in the park.  Now, if Janet is going, she probably will not be one of those since she has a more reliable weather source which is the NJ Strong Weather Forum.

I love this post because this stumbles upon what I think would be my dream job -- minus the rather substantial issue that I do not possess a meteorology degree -- being the in-house weather forecaster for several baseball teams, advising them on potential rain delays, postponements, game-time weather conditions affecting players/fans, etc. The other issue here (more directly weather related than my occupation fantasies) is that if they keep pushing opening day earlier the odds will favor the weather often being somewhat unpleasant. Early April Openers have always in my memory been afflicted with poor weather more often than not in the Northeast and Midwest. What do they expect with late-March Openers? Some forecasts for this Thursday, March 29:
Detroit 50* with rain showers.
Cincinnati 59* with rain.
Baltimore 66* with rain showers.
Kansas City 52* Mostly Cloudy (breezy so chills in the upper 40s)
The only place there were the temperature is in my opinion marginally baseball-optimal is Baltimore and they'll have rain.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:35 pm

TEMP departures from normal for March:

March 1st-12th

March Observations and Discussions - Page 6 Compda13

March 12th-24th

March Observations and Discussions - Page 6 Compda14

March 1st-24th

March Observations and Discussions - Page 6 Compda15
March Observations and Discussions - Page 6 MonthTDeptNWSER

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinnydula Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:20 pm

Heavy sleet
Vinnydula
Vinnydula
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:12 pm

39*with light sleet

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:38 pm

I assume this largely applies to NYC metro area as well. While March is known for the occasional late-season snowstorm, this confirms this year's persistent chill has been significant and anything but ordinary:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/weather/philadelphia-weather-record-snow-cold-spring-20180328.html
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:41 pm

49 degrees, calm, 30.19 F.Yard still covered with 2 to 3 inches of snowpack 90% and still large snowpiles from plowing.Mist rising from the snow at times,LOL.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:20 pm

docstox12 wrote:49 degrees, calm, 30.19 F.Yard still covered with 2 to 3 inches of snowpack 90% and still large snowpiles from plowing.Mist rising from the snow at times,LOL.

Doc:

We may do the whole month of March other than the first day with snow cover and a solid one most of the time at that. May not make it to the first but it will be close.

Flying back now from Florida now it is just a different world down here. Every morning I was checking temps seeing 22, 25, 23 every morning there. It seems like some kind of polar world (The Hoth system?) your viewing when your away from it.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:24 pm

billg315 wrote:I assume this largely applies to NYC metro area as well. While March is known for the occasional late-season snowstorm, this confirms this year's persistent chill has been significant and anything but ordinary:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/weather/philadelphia-weather-record-snow-cold-spring-20180328.html

Somewhat of an exaggeration as our March temps will end up 2-3 degrees below normal, nice but nothing earth shattering.

What is impressive is the streak of days in March, 21 at last count in a row, that were below normal, most between 3-7 degrees below so no real out of the ordinary cold but a couple to several degrees bellow each day which has been nice. It has also allowed those of us with a snow pack to keep it almost the entire month.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:37 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
billg315 wrote:I assume this largely applies to NYC metro area as well. While March is known for the occasional late-season snowstorm, this confirms this year's persistent chill has been significant and anything but ordinary:

Somewhat of an exaggeration as our March temps will end up 2-3 degrees below normal, nice but nothing earth shattering.

What is impressive is the streak of days in March, 21 at last count in a row, that were below normal, most between 3-7 degrees below so no real out of the ordinary cold but a couple to several degrees bellow each day which has been nice. It has also allowed those of us with a snow pack to keep it almost the entire month.

Yeah, I think that’s the point they’re trying to make. The temperature departure itself isn’t that drastic, but the fact that we had that many days in a row below normal was out of the ordinary - longest streak in 58 years. Be kind of like a hitter alternating between going 1-4 and 1-3 every night for six weeks. The .285 batting average wouldn’t wow anyone but the 40-game hitting streak would be notable.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:07 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
docstox12 wrote:49 degrees, calm, 30.19 F.Yard still covered with 2 to 3 inches of snowpack 90% and still large snowpiles from plowing.Mist rising from the snow at times,LOL.

Doc:

We may do the whole month of March other than the first day with snow cover and a solid one most of the time at that. May not make it to the first but it will be close.

Flying back now from Florida now it is just a different world down here. Every morning I was checking temps seeing 22, 25, 23 every morning there. It seems like some kind of polar world (The Hoth system?) your viewing when your away from it.

CP, it's the March that pretended to be January! Constant snow cover, cold temperatures.It was a blast to live through and observe! Won't soon forget those 'death bands" over us in that 26 inche snowstorm we had.Aside from February, an epic winter with cold and snow.I would trade a February we had to get a March we have had anytime! Glad you made it back safely!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Dtone Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:00 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

Yeah this March consistency is the most unsual part. A month known for wild variations was very stable. Stable on the cool side.
Despite that my car is covered in pollen today. Cherry blossoms etc are opening up.

Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum