Wx Banter Thread 3.0

Page 20 of 23 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Go down

Re: Wx Banter Thread 3.0

Post by billg315 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:43 pm

TheAresian wrote:Hey now. Judges are supposed to be impartial. None of this showing Like preferences.
Good point. Now that the race between Syos and CP is a nail biter I may have to refrain from “Likes” lest I be called upon to rule on any hanging chads.
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:04 pm

I sell likes for bitcoin...
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis on Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:13 am

A nice, short video of an eagle in the snowstorm in PA getting covered with snow while protecting her egg:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/videos/eagle-protecting-egg-perseveres-as-snowfall-buries-it-during-noreaster/xhctnyzte6jqpvfvmidgn1x4mgl8wayj
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow on Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:37 pm

dkodgis wrote:A nice, short video of an eagle in the snowstorm in PA getting covered with snow while protecting her egg:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/videos/eagle-protecting-egg-perseveres-as-snowfall-buries-it-during-noreaster/xhctnyzte6jqpvfvmidgn1x4mgl8wayj

Damian:

I answered your PM about an hour ago. Let me know if you received it.
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis on Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:49 pm

Yes, got it. Answered.

A bear was just in my backwoods. Wow! Maybe he did not get the memo about the snow next weekend.
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard on Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:52 pm

dkodgis wrote:
A bear was just in my backwoods.  Wow! Maybe he did not get the memo about the snow next weekend.

Maybe you can answer that age old question, Does a bear sh!t in the woods? scratch

GreyBeard
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scullybutcher on Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:38 pm

I love Joe Cioffi. That being said he just defended @crankyweatherguy on his FB broadcast tonight. I just saw a clip, waiting for it to finish so I can watch from start to finish. I do respect them for doing the post storm analysis.
Scullybutcher
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Location : North Smithtown, western Suffolk county, long island

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by syosnow94 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:39 pm

Scullybutcher wrote:I love Joe Cioffi. That being said he just defended @crankyweatherguy on his FB broadcast tonight. I just saw a clip, waiting for it to finish so I can watch from start to finish. I do respect them for doing the post storm analysis.

Anyone defending that guy loses ALL CREDIBILITY PERIOD! Even if Paul Kocin himself defejded him he’d be fine in my book.
syosnow94
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:37 am

GreyBeard wrote:
dkodgis wrote:
A bear was just in my backwoods.  Wow! Maybe he did not get the memo about the snow next weekend.

Maybe you can answer that age old question, Does a bear sh!t in the woods? scratch

Sometimes. But the bears at my house seem to shit on my lawn quite a bit. I should know because I have to clean it up. UGH ! I've been seeing bears on my property through out the Winter. Even in the beginning of January when it was bitter cold I've seen them roaming around usually at night. Thank god for security cameras and motion detector alarms which we have mounted on trees around our property. It's usually the same one because he has a Game Commission tag in his ear. My wife and I have watched him and his brother go from cubs to adults. My wife calls him Bear Bear and of course his Mothers name is Mama. His Mother (we know it's his Mother because she has a GPS radio collar and a tag in each one of her ears) is tending to two new cubs which she had last year. They take care of their cubs for two years and then send them out on their own. I've actually seen her chase her off spring Bear Bear out of her territory when she comes passing through and he's eating whatever bird seed has fallen to the ground. I guess when it comes to food family doesn't matter. lol
  At one time we had at least eight bears coming through our property. Some have disappeared I guess from hunting. I was told from the Game commission that females and cubs hibernate through the whole Winter, but males will roam through out the Winter depending on the weather conditions and then go back to hibernation. I had a bear that weighed at least 800 lbs. coming through on and off. He was definitely an old timer. Unfortunately I haven't seen him in a while. I guess either the hunters got him or old age did him in. I guess you can tell that I love animals.
SNOW MAN
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:32 am

SNOW MAN wrote:
GreyBeard wrote:
dkodgis wrote:

Sometimes. But the bears at my house seem to shit on my lawn quite a bit. I should know because I have to clean it up. UGH ! I've been seeing bears on my property through out the Winter. Even in the beginning of January when it was bitter cold I've seen them roaming around usually at night. Thank god for security cameras and motion detector alarms which we have mounted on trees around our property. It's usually the same one because he has a Game Commission tag in his ear. My wife and I have watched him and his brother go from cubs to adults. My wife calls him Bear Bear and of course his Mothers name is Mama. His Mother (we know it's his Mother because she has a GPS radio collar and a tag in each one of her ears) is tending to two new cubs which she had last year. They take care of their cubs for two years and then send them out on their own. I've actually seen her chase her off spring Bear Bear out of her territory when she comes passing through and he's eating whatever bird seed has fallen to the ground. I guess when it comes to food family doesn't matter. lol
  At one time we had at least eight bears coming through our property. Some have disappeared I guess from hunting. I was told from the Game commission that females and cubs hibernate through the whole Winter, but males will roam through out the Winter depending on the weather conditions and then go back to hibernation. I had a bear that weighed at least 800 lbs. coming through on and off. He was definitely an old timer. Unfortunately I haven't seen him in a while. I guess either the hunters got him or old age did him in. I guess you can tell that I love animals.
That is awesome that not only do you get to observe the bears but have learned and can observe their family structure and how they interact. Pretty cool. (That said if I had a family of bears close to my house - I’d be pretty uncomfortable, haha. Of course if I had a family of bears behind my house they’d take up my entire yard so it’s not likely. lol)
billg315

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAresian on Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:02 am

If I had a family of bears behind my house, I'd never leave. Ever since that movie about the idiot that spent his summers in Alaska only to become a snack (Grizzly Man or some such thing. I know the guy's name was Timothy Treadwell), I've started looking at Yogi and Boo Boo a little sideways. Ranger Smith has no idea how much danger he's truly in.
TheAresian
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WeatherBob on Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:08 pm

If some people on here were to do a live weather broadcast it would go like this:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/22/charming-kindergartners-weather-forecast-goes-viral.html
WeatherBob
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis on Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:12 pm

That was sweet. Kid has chops!
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by syosnow94 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:46 pm

I’ll be driving home tomorrow from my parents up in Ulster. If any of our northern members are looking to meet up for a quick hello and drink I plan on taking the Thruway to the Tappan Zee to the sprain to the Bronx river. If it’s on my way illl stop
syosnow94
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis on Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:21 pm

Orange snow in eastern Russia. It appears to be Saharan sand mixed with the snow.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43533804
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by deblanka on Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:58 pm

deblanka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:35 pm

jmanley32 wrote:I'll check in on the 5th as we know this yr nothing has really shown till 48 hrs or less.

Well, since you will obviously be doing some driving, and since it would probably have high winds, I have a feeling you will check in for the potential April snowstorm. Razz

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by syosnow94 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:43 am

Math23x7 wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:I'll check in on the 5th as we know this yr nothing has really shown till 48 hrs or less.

Well, since you will obviously be doing some driving, and since it would probably have high winds, I have a feeling you will check in for the potential April snowstorm. Razz

Math being funny and not a negative warmiccist. Nice Wink
syosnow94
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:19 pm

syosnow94 wrote:
Math23x7 wrote:

Math being funny and not a negative warmiccist.  Nice Wink
Will be keeping my plans to travel on 3rd and 4th no matter what!!! I intend to enjoy my week off. Yes of course I am checking in, just do not believe it will snow near the coast, very very rare in april. Ding here come the stats lol
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:53 pm

jmanley32 wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:
Math23x7 wrote:

Math being funny and not a negative warmiccist.  Nice Wink
Will be keeping my plans to travel on 3rd and 4th no matter what!!! I intend to enjoy my week off.  Yes of course I am checking in, just do not believe it will snow near the coast, very very rare in april. Ding here come the stats lol

I’ll be back on Friday jman I’ll have the stats for you then. LOL.
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:04 am

For all you "warm" weather lovers, I hope you are happy now. The real crime of spring. Beautiful hopeful snowmen. Murdered. Melted. Yes dead snowmen.

Grselig
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:11 am

Ah, late March rain is falling in New Hampshire. I am sitting at my home office looking out the window as Lake Winnipesaukee's ice melts, all while reading Whittaker and Horn (1981). Life is good as summer approaches, and graduation gets closer.

Quietace
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:25 am

Fitting reading coming out of the March North American cyclogenesis maximum period. (Yeah I cheated - google. Lol).
billg315

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:30 am

billg315 wrote:Fitting reading coming out of the March North American cyclogenesis maximum period. (Yeah I cheated - google. Lol).
We have weekly Journal Article discussions in our Synoptic II class. Dr. Eric Hoffman picked that one for this coming week specifically for that reason, so good find.

Quietace
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:33 am

It looks interesting actually. Now that I’ve stumbled upon it I sort of want to check it out. Only problem with some of those books is I often don’t have the basic mathematical/scientific expertise to keep up, so I tend to lean toward the ones that speak - at least in part - in layman’s terms.
billg315

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 23 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next