NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations

+77
Artechmetals
snowlover78
Lnda23
cooladi
Dtone
WeatherBob
mancave25
snemiroff
Dunnzoo
dad4twoboys
jldio
Radz
Sparky Sparticles
lisalamb
petep10
heehaw453
toople
jake732
Snow88
Joe Snow
2004blackwrx
SENJsnowman
devsman
oldtimer
freezerburn
docstox12
brownie
HeresL
Math23x7
mwilli5783
SkiSeadooJoe
hurrysundown23
frank 638
emokid51783
Vinnydula
mikeypizano
Aiosamoney21
richb521
GreyBeard
Carter bk
sroc4
bluebythec
dkodgis
Angela0621
deadrabbit79
bobjohnsonforthehall
larryrock72
skinsfan1177
Smittyaj623
rb924119
nujerzeedevil
shawnerak
bloc1357
gigs68
jjlane25
Grselig
nutleyblizzard
essexcountypete
mmanisca
dsix85
crippo84
RJB8525
jimv45
algae888
Scullybutcher
Quietace
adamfitz1969
aiannone
amugs
billg315
Taffy
jmanley32
weatherwatchermom
CPcantmeasuresnow
SoulSingMG
Sanchize06
Frank_Wx
81 posters

Page 27 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 27 Empty Re: March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:32 am

To add some perspective to anyone living and dying with each model run. The last storm the radar looked terrible that morning TWC lowered my forecast from 8-12 to 5-8, by that night I had over two feet.

I'm not saying this is the same setup, it's somewhat different but the logic remains the same. Even the mesoscales can't pckkup who will band, dryslot be subject to subsidence etc with any degree of certainty, 10-20 miles can make great differences.

Enjoy the show I'm in it for the stats today and hopng like everyone else my area over performs.

Please step away from the ledges. When you feel yourself short of breath go to the weather stats thread and peruse the stats of storms and winters past.

May the Frontogenesis Forcing be with you.

CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 27 Empty Re: March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations

Post by nutleyblizzard Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:35 am

nutleyblizzard wrote:
billg315 wrote:As for jackpot zones, GFS actually moves it slightly west over eastern PA/NW NJ. The NAM has it from NYC across LI. Either way I think model snow maps aren’t great at pinpointing jackpots anyway so that we won’t know until the heavy bands set up this afternoon.
Bingo! With every ensuing model run that comes out, it gives a different depiction of snow totals depending where the heavier snow bands setup. Thats the reason for the panic and joy in this forum. We just have to wait till this afternoon how things will shake down. One things for sure, someone is going to get clobbered. Hopefully it will be most of us. Going to work now.
Well, I guess I'm not going to work today. I was just out the door when my boss texted me to stay home. Let the storm tracking commence!!!

nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinnydula Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:36 am

Some flakes!
Vinnydula
Vinnydula
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:42 am

Here will be a fun game to play this morning (last storm gave me this idea): count how many social media posts you can find this morning from people, who know nothing about meteorology and ignore details like “start” and “end” times, saying this storm is “a bust” or “it’s not even sticking” or “over-hyped”, before the real heavy snow kicks in later this morning/afternoon. Whoever finds the most gets the snow jackpot zone and heavy banding this afternoon. Lol
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by nutleyblizzard Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:42 am

Snow starting to pick up in intensity a bit. Very breezy too. 36F.
nutleyblizzard
nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:49 am

nutleyblizzard wrote:
billg315 wrote:As for jackpot zones, GFS actually moves it slightly west over eastern PA/NW NJ. The NAM has it from NYC across LI. Either way I think model snow maps aren’t great at pinpointing jackpots anyway so that we won’t know until the heavy bands set up this afternoon.
Bingo! With every ensuing model run that comes out, it gives a different depiction of snow totals depending where the heavier snow bands setup. Thats the reason for the panic and joy in this forum. We just have to wait till this afternoon how things will shake down. One things for sure, someone is going to get clobbered. Hopefully it will be most of us. Going to work now.

Tx be safe
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by petep10 Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:52 am

33F and starting to snow lightly. I went to work, but I live 3 blocks from my automotive shop. No work scheduled, so I'll nowcast until all hell breaks loose. Probably after lunch. Then I'll go home and drink scotch.

petep10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:52 am

Just woke up to Moderate sleet costing everything setting the stage for the snow to accumulate quick

Last edited by syosnow94 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:53 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:To add some perspective to anyone living and dying with each model run. The last storm the radar looked terrible that morning TWC lowered my forecast from 8-12 to 5-8, by that night I had over two feet.

I'm not saying this is the same setup, it's somewhat different but the logic remains the same. Even the mesoscales can't pckkup who will band, dryslot be subject to subsidence etc with any degree of certainty, 10-20 miles can make great differences.

Enjoy the show I'm in it for the stats today and hopng like everyone else my area over performs.

Please step away from the ledges. When you feel yourself short of breath go to the weather stats thread and peruse the stats of storms and  winters past.

May the Frontogenesis Forcing be with you.
Thank you
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:57 am

Good morning..woke up to sleet this morning...now snowing starting to cover grass and sidewalks. Temp currently 34* winds steady at 10

Last edited by weatherwatchermom on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:57 am

Started snowing about 20 minutes ago only sticking to the grass so far
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by nujerzeedevil Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:57 am

Sleeting and 36* in Lakewood
nujerzeedevil
nujerzeedevil

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:57 am

Heavy snow! 27.5 degrees. Roads are treacherous out here.

Ratios seem good judging flakes. 2.5” on ground.

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:59 am

Click the radar tab at the top then click the first one and look over the ocean. Radar is exploding

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:59 am

The rain/snow line is passing over coastal Ocean County now and the radar looks to be building again. 37* light sleet, and the crockpot DID get loaded with a beef rib stew last night. All reasons for some early morning optimism.

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:00 am

Burst of moderate to heavy snow now Radar really blossomy here we go folks
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:02 am

NWS saying 12-15:1 ratios. Highest away from the coast. With 1” of qpf (many of us are forecast for 1.5”+) thats 12-15” area wide minimum. More for those with higher qpf. As long as we don’t lose too much to sleet

Back to top Go down

Post by lisalamb Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:04 am

Big fat flakes
lisalamb
lisalamb

Back to top Go down

Post by crippo84 Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:06 am

Moderate snow in Brooklyn. Sticking to grassy areas with a dusting to a quarter inch.
crippo84
crippo84

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sparticles Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:06 am

Yesterday had nothing but a few sprinkles of what may have been hail on the roof next door - over before Jeopardy started.

Looked out the window this morning at 6:30 and there was nothing going on.

7:05am there was a gust of wind and with it came fine flakes.

By 7:35am there were fat flakes a'falling, coating not just grassy areas and cars but already starting to stick on the sidewalks and other cemented areas.

Now, at 8am, there looks to be about 1/4 inch on the cars, just a coating on the sidewalks and driveways, but some people are already out there sweeping, shoveling, and salting some areas, like a condo's long driveway that goes up a slight hill.

Oh, well. We missed out on all the other recent storms, so I guess we'll get a whole winter's worth in this one.
Sparky Sparticles
Sparky Sparticles

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:11 am

syosnow94 wrote:Click the radar tab at the top then click the first one and look over the ocean. Radar is exploding
Good morning love that image
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:11 am

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 27 Img_1437

If you animate WV imagery, you will see our mid-level lows are in the process of "moving" from the parent to a secondary as the more "meso"-synoptic scale trough axes align themselves and the energy reconsolidates in the base of the reconfiguring trough. This is why you are now seeing the precipitation blossoming so rapidly - more dynamics becoming involved as the mid-level lows approach with their respective forcings.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Radz Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:11 am

First few flakes have begun, 30.9° NE winds 5-9mph, i'm not expecting too much up this way because of the sharp cut off that may occur, but I think you folks from about central Westchester south are going to get slammed! Everybody enjoy the storm!!
Radz
Radz
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:12 am

Radar is blossoming

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 27 Inxr1Kphla_h

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:12 am

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 27 WUNIDS_map?station=DIX&brand=wui&num=6&delay=15&type=N0R&frame=0&scale=1.000&noclutter=0&lat=0&lon=0&label=you&showstorms=0&map.x=400&map

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by RJB8525 Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:13 am

Sussex-Warren-Morris-Carbon-Monroe-Northampton-
Including the cities of Newton, Washington, Morristown,
Jim Thorpe, Stroudsburg, Bethlehem, and Easton
809 AM EDT Wed Mar 21 2018

...Major winter storm is beginning...

Snow has developed in the southern Poconos and is spreading into
northwest New Jersey this morning. Snow rates are beginning to
increase and will reach at least a half inch per hour this
morning. The heaviest snow is expected this afternoon, where
at least inch-per-hour snow rates are possible for several hours.
Unnecessary travel is strongly discouraged.
RJB8525
RJB8525
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:14 am

850mb temps..still warm by the Jersey Shore. These will crash by early afternoon as low matures

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 27 850mb_sf

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum