NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations

+77
Artechmetals
snowlover78
Lnda23
cooladi
Dtone
WeatherBob
mancave25
snemiroff
Dunnzoo
dad4twoboys
jldio
Radz
Sparky Sparticles
lisalamb
petep10
heehaw453
toople
jake732
Snow88
Joe Snow
2004blackwrx
SENJsnowman
devsman
oldtimer
freezerburn
docstox12
brownie
HeresL
Math23x7
mwilli5783
SkiSeadooJoe
hurrysundown23
frank 638
emokid51783
Vinnydula
mikeypizano
Aiosamoney21
richb521
GreyBeard
Carter bk
sroc4
bluebythec
dkodgis
Angela0621
deadrabbit79
bobjohnsonforthehall
larryrock72
skinsfan1177
Smittyaj623
rb924119
nujerzeedevil
shawnerak
bloc1357
gigs68
jjlane25
Grselig
nutleyblizzard
essexcountypete
mmanisca
dsix85
crippo84
RJB8525
jimv45
algae888
Scullybutcher
Quietace
adamfitz1969
aiannone
amugs
billg315
Taffy
jmanley32
weatherwatchermom
CPcantmeasuresnow
SoulSingMG
Sanchize06
Frank_Wx
81 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 26 Empty Re: March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations

Post by nutleyblizzard Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:11 am

jmanley32 wrote:The models I no likey 10 inches on nam that's low for what's being forecasted , and heard euro was really bad? Where is nws get these high numbers from?
They are probably looking at current observations and upper levels. Read RB's post.

nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 26 Empty Re: March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations

Post by RJB8525 Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:20 am

Mt Holly made some big decreases as they put me under a foot lol

RJB8525
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:25 am

rb924119 wrote:Everybody needs to calm down lol based on my observations from yesterday (posted somewhere amongst these threads) I see no reason to panic, as my present analysis of radar, WV, and current conditions seem to support them strongly still. The HRRR looks good to me overall, though I think ALL modeling is still largely undergoing the northwestern progression of the precipitation shield, which is already well north and west of suites like the EURO. The orientation of our parent mid-level lows, WHICH ARE STILL IN THE OHIO VALLEY, argues for the northwestern extent of the current banding on radar to continue pressing northwestward for a while before halting progression. Northern Wayne county into Susquehanna County Pa seems like a decent pivot point for the back edge of precip that orients at a ~"7-2" angle (referencing a clock). Once that happens, expect precip to begin filling in to its southeast as the mid-level systems begin their incremental eastward progression during the day, and bring strong forcing with them. What we are seeing right now is forcing being created by diffluent/divergent flow aloft in the pva region downstream of large scale trough axis. No other true dynamics are really being tapped yet so what we are seeing right is a bonus. The mean flow is continuing to back, and is now being directed with a partial easterly component, which will further increase moisture transport and thermal advections as time goes. Give it time, folks.

Additionally, my analysis of WV imagery leads me to believe that our parent mid-level lows have gained a little more latitude than what guidance was suggesting which bodes well for us. Instead of exiting off of Virginia's latitude it would seem that the Delmarva would make more sense here, which is PERFECT FOR NEARLY ALL OF OUR FORUM. TRUST EYES NOT MODELS. MODELS HAVE BEEN USELESS SINCE LAST NIGHT. Back to bed now lol

Without a doubt my favorite post of yours of all time. Bed for me now as well (nothing to see here until we start cranking late afternoon) What a Face
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:27 am

Lastly:

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 26 F75ccb10

G'night/morning.
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:32 am

Moderate snow. 29 degrees. About 1 inch on ground. .15 ice accretion below that. Surface by far coldest of all March storms this year and roads completely covered.

LETS GO!!!

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:40 am

Upton:
Colder and
drier air is in place when compared to previous events. Nam, and
lesser extent GFS along with various ensemble members indicate
slight warming aloft for a possible wintry mix over SE LI, and
perhaps SE CT through the morning. The storm has slowed a bit,
and heavier precip will allow for ample cooling to result in a
changeover by afternoon over these eastern locales. Colder air
will be pulled down from the north as the storm deepens.

Temps in the 30s remain steady or fall as the heavier snow
commences. Snow ratios look to be at least 10 to 1, and even 13
to 1 or 15 to 1 is possible interior.

The western extent of the precip shield should keep amounts well
NW down slightly, but a foot or more is possible even up across
those locations.

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by deadrabbit79 Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:41 am

Working from home...took the chance to head to the gym. Light snow has started on I 287 in white Plains/Harrison

deadrabbit79

Back to top Go down

Post by aiannone Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:44 am

syosnow94 wrote:Alex my man good morning. You confident we both get a foot?

10-12” isolated 14” is a good bet for now until we see where the banding sets up

Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:50 am

aiannone wrote:Upton:
Colder and
drier air is in place when compared to previous events. Nam, and
lesser extent GFS along with various ensemble members indicate
slight warming aloft for a possible wintry mix over SE LI, and
perhaps SE CT through the morning. The storm has slowed a bit,
and heavier precip will allow for ample cooling to result in a
changeover by afternoon over these eastern locales. Colder air
will be pulled down from the north as the storm deepens.

Temps in the 30s remain steady or fall as the heavier snow
commences. Snow ratios look to be at least 10 to 1, and even 13
to 1 or 15 to 1 is possible interior.

The western extent of the precip shield should keep amounts well
NW down slightly, but a foot or more is possible even up across
those locations.

Good news on those 13 or 15 to 1 ratios for us N and W folks.That helps with lower qpf's.They still mention a foot or more possible.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nutleyblizzard Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:03 am

Very light snow winds starting to pick up. 36F. Waiting patiently for my beat down.
nutleyblizzard
nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:04 am

aiannone wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:Alex my man good morning. You confident we both get a foot?

10-12” isolated 14” is a good bet for now until we see where the banding sets up

Yeah I agree but I was figuring on 8 or 10:1!ratios. Upton saying 12:1 and we are looking at about 1.5” liquid sooo........ Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:10 am

I love this forum. A place where kids in their 20s tell middle aged and older people who are obsessed with the weather (and exhibit many signs of mental illness) to relax and listen to them. and then we do and they wind up being right

Back to top Go down

Post by nutleyblizzard Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:12 am

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 26 Imagep13
GAME ON.
nutleyblizzard
nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:14 am

Good morning. Just got up and the only post I’ve read is rb’s quoted above. From that I can gather I’ve missed an overnight panic quickly quelled by sound meteorological analysis. In other words: all I’ve missed is the status quo. Lol
33* with some light snow falling.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:28 am

Radar looks Crappy Nothing much over water south Not much said about daytime snow in March

oldtimer
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:28 am

I'm hearing that nams where good but other models have shifted east don't shoot messenger
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:46 am

Dejavu. The last storm at 6 am the radar looked bad, models were still shifting. Then the storm deepened radar tightened up, and heavy snow moved in late morning, as I expect will happen again here. Radar always looks ragged with these storms before the pressure drops and the precip field fills in and tightens up around the center. It’s pretty typical of developing coastal storms.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:54 am

I don’t see any big shift. Not that models matter much at this stage. 6z GFS and NAM and latest HRRR don’t seem to me to have any major changes. They all show a snowstorm over the entire area (early sleet/mix at Jersey shore) today and tonight with close to a foot of snow widespread.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanchize06 Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:00 am

billg315 wrote:I don’t see any big shift. Not that models matter much at this stage. 6z GFS and NAM and latest HRRR don’t seem to me to have any major changes. They all show a snowstorm over the entire area (early sleet/mix at Jersey shore) today and tonight with close to a foot of snow widespread.

Agreed. They look good to me

Sanchize06
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanchize06 Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:01 am

NAM

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 26 Sn10_acc.us_ne

HRRR

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 26 Sn10_acc.us_ne

RAP

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 26 Sn10_acc.conus

Sanchize06
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:01 am

As for jackpot zones, GFS actually moves it slightly west over eastern PA/NW NJ. The NAM has it from NYC across LI. Either way I think model snow maps aren’t great at pinpointing jackpots anyway so that we won’t know until the heavy bands set up this afternoon.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanchize06 Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:08 am

Radar is starting to now fill in a bit as well. Winds are more out of the NNE/NE which should allow for the 850mb temps to keep dropping. Sfc Wet bulb temps show most places 30-32 degrees when the precip comes in and moistens up the atmosphere. Looks good

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 26 Swbt

Sanchize06
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by nutleyblizzard Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:11 am

billg315 wrote:As for jackpot zones, GFS actually moves it slightly west over eastern PA/NW NJ. The NAM has it from NYC across LI. Either way I think model snow maps aren’t great at pinpointing jackpots anyway so that we won’t know until the heavy bands set up this afternoon.
Bingo! With every ensuing model run that comes out, it gives a different depiction of snow totals depending where the heavier snow bands setup. Thats the reason for the panic and joy in this forum. We just have to wait till this afternoon how things will shake down. One things for sure, someone is going to get clobbered. Hopefully it will be most of us. Going to work now.
nutleyblizzard
nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:20 am

Guys and gals.  Even though it has been morphed into one discussion of one storm this is still a two wave system with a "lull" if you will inbetween.  Wave 1 was always a Tuesday Wed event and was always going to make it so far north.  Wave 2 was always a Wed Thursday event. We are seeing this transition now.  On the surface maps you can see the Low associated with the first wave 1 well off the coast and Wave 2 or secondary low developing over Western VA/NC.  

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 26 Pmsl
March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 26 Pmsl10

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 26 300mb_sf

As you can see by the map below the 500mb low has closed off over Kentucky/W Va region and will begin to deepen and head E NE from here. Remember from discussions yesterday as well as some others the best banding will form N&W of this ULL as it passes south of LI.  This wont happen until later today.  This is the second wave and the main event.  Now how far S&E the center of this ULL passes will dictate where the heaviest axis of snow ends up.    

March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 26 500mb_sf
[url=https://servimg.com/view/18491850/2794]March Madness! Spring Snowstorm Observations - Page 26 500mb_13

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:23 am

31* here, dew point 27* with light snow. Snow is sticking to sidewalks already. Now that sun is coming up light snow won’t do it for roads/warmer surfaces but it’s plenty cold enough here for moderate to heavy snow to stick.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:32 am

To add some perspective to anyone living and dying with each model run. The last storm the radar looked terrible that morning TWC lowered my forecast from 8-12 to 5-8, by that night I had over two feet.

I'm not saying this is the same setup, it's somewhat different but the logic remains the same. Even the mesoscales can't pckkup who will band, dryslot be subject to subsidence etc with any degree of certainty, 10-20 miles can make great differences.

Enjoy the show I'm in it for the stats today and hopng like everyone else my area over performs.

Please step away from the ledges. When you feel yourself short of breath go to the weather stats thread and peruse the stats of storms and winters past.

May the Frontogenesis Forcing be with you.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nutleyblizzard Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:35 am

nutleyblizzard wrote:
billg315 wrote:As for jackpot zones, GFS actually moves it slightly west over eastern PA/NW NJ. The NAM has it from NYC across LI. Either way I think model snow maps aren’t great at pinpointing jackpots anyway so that we won’t know until the heavy bands set up this afternoon.
Bingo! With every ensuing model run that comes out, it gives a different depiction of snow totals depending where the heavier snow bands setup. Thats the reason for the panic and joy in this forum. We just have to wait till this afternoon how things will shake down. One things for sure, someone is going to get clobbered. Hopefully it will be most of us. Going to work now.
Well, I guess I'm not going to work today. I was just out the door when my boss texted me to stay home. Let the storm tracking commence!!!
nutleyblizzard
nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum