NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th?

+45
uanswer2me
brownie
Vinnydula
1190ftalt
chief7
TheAresian
weatherwatchermom
Artingerb
Artechmetals
WeatherBob
billg315
Zhukov1945
Math23x7
RJB8525
Dunnzoo
SENJsnowman
Radz
Lnda23
algae888
aiannone
MattyICE
SoulSingMG
frank 638
Snow88
mmanisca
hurrysundown23
docstox12
jmanley32
amugs
Irish
Grselig
mikeypizano
essexcountypete
phil155
crippo84
hyde345
sroc4
lglickman1
dsix85
bobjohnsonforthehall
CPcantmeasuresnow
heehaw453
nutleyblizzard
rb924119
Frank_Wx
49 posters

Page 3 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 23  Next

Go down

Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 3 Empty Re: Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th?

Post by rb924119 Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:25 pm

heehaw453 wrote:EPS has a lot of bombs.  Like an unbelievable amount of bombs at D5+.  It's getting phased early it would seem.

Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 3 Eps29

By my eye it’s over Western Virginia and West Virginia in the ensemble mean. I expect this to shift further south/west as lead time decreases using my same ideas, and still like the Central Mid-Atlantic as the sweet spot. This is gonna be fun, as the January 2016 analog may be a good one.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

amugs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 3 Empty Re: Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th?

Post by nutleyblizzard Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:26 pm

rb924119 wrote:
nutleyblizzard wrote:Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 3 Indexm10
Calm down everyone EPS is east.

Not really lol

Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 3 93786e10
MEh. I still think this came too far west and will correct eastward in time. Models have often under modeled the strength of the NAO block. In the end I think this beast goes just inside the BM.

nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:30 pm

nutleyblizzard wrote:
rb924119 wrote:
nutleyblizzard wrote:Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 3 Indexm10

Not really lol

MEh. I still think this came too far west and will correct eastward in time. Models have often under modeled the strength of the NAO block. In the end I think this beast goes just inside the BM.

I agree. As I have said, I think that this was an over-correction. But I think we see an overall shift southward of the evolution, not necessarily just eastward.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by hyde345 Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:31 pm

rb924119 wrote:
heehaw453 wrote:EPS has a lot of bombs.  Like an unbelievable amount of bombs at D5+.  It's getting phased early it would seem.

Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 3 Eps29

By my eye it’s over Western Virginia and West Virginia in the ensemble mean. I expect this to shift further south/west as lead time decreases using my same ideas, and still like the Central Mid-Atlantic as the sweet spot. This is gonna be fun, as the January 2016 analog may be a good one.

I hope not. I got 3 flakes from that 2016 storm.
hyde345
hyde345
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:32 pm

Something I just noticed and don't really like - at least on the GFS - is how there is a High Pressure east of Maine. Between that and the east-based NAO block I fear that would give credence to a storm tracking up the coast or even slightly inland. Hmmm, will need to keep an eye on that feature.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:36 pm

12z NAVY

Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 3 Navgem-mslp-pcpn-neus-fh114-150-thumb-gif-af378124d2e276345fbf8242d6e7757e

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:39 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:Something I just noticed and don't really like - at least on the GFS - is how there is a High Pressure east of Maine. Between that and the east-based NAO block I fear that would give credence to a storm tracking up the coast or even slightly inland. Hmmm, will need to keep an eye on that feature.

Without the secondary phase, this is a valid concern if these northern tracks are legitimate. But if we get that secondary phase, then I wouldn’t worry too much about it. That secondary phase would be your injection of fresh cold air, as that is a direct Arctic discharge into the backside of our storm. Baby go boom lol

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by nutleyblizzard Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:40 pm

rb924119 wrote:
nutleyblizzard wrote:
rb924119 wrote:

Not really lol

I agree. As I have said, I think that this was an over-correction. But I think we see an overall shift southward of the evolution, not necessarily just eastward.
RB who knows at this point. We’re in a pattern that’s very convoluted with a lot of moving parts. Our line of thinking may blow up in our face and the storm heads for Philly ala March of 93. That’s why I love this hobby. Man it’s going to be a long sleepless week ahead.

nutleyblizzard
nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

rb924119 and SENJsnowman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:52 pm

Just read this on Joe Bastardi’s blog:

Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 3 45afb010

Seems I’m not the only one drawing this comparison. His son is in my camp, Joe thinks this is more like March ‘94. Not familiar with March ‘94, so maybe others can comment.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

phil155 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by essexcountypete Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:03 pm

rb924119 wrote:
nutleyblizzard wrote:We’re still 6 days from the event which is an eternity for tracking a monster like this. My advice to everyone is to follow the ensembles for now. There’s going to be a lot of run to run variability with the OP’s which I fear will cause a lot of undue stress.

We all know that this a great, logical, clear-minded, and well thought out post. But what fun would there be in that????

told ya

So what you're saying is that it's perfectly normal that I've already refreshed this topic a dozen times today?

Some of us just like that feeling of the windshield wiper whacking us on the way by. It reminds us we're alive and tracking.
essexcountypete
essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

kalleg, rb924119, SENJsnowman and Irish like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:14 pm

essexcountypete wrote:
rb924119 wrote:
nutleyblizzard wrote:We’re still 6 days from the event which is an eternity for tracking a monster like this. My advice to everyone is to follow the ensembles for now. There’s going to be a lot of run to run variability with the OP’s which I fear will cause a lot of undue stress.

We all know that this a great, logical, clear-minded, and well thought out post. But what fun would there be in that????

told ya

So what you're saying is that it's perfectly normal that I've already refreshed this topic a dozen times today?

Some of us just like that feeling of the windshield wiper whacking us on the way by. It reminds us we're alive and tracking.

COMPLETELY normal. I can’t believe you’ve only done it a dozen times - I’m on about 40 lmaooo and, considering that this thread is only three pages long and already has 1240 views, I think it’s safe to assume that we aren’t alone hahaha

Your second comment is too funny ahaha funny because it’s so true.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

essexcountypete likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bobjohnsonforthehall Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:17 pm

essexcountypete wrote:
rb924119 wrote:

told ya

Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 3 85Eu

Ride that wiper. EEEYYYAAAHHHH
bobjohnsonforthehall
bobjohnsonforthehall

kalleg, rb924119 and essexcountypete like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:21 pm

OH WHAT THE HELL, LOCK IT IN AS IT IS!
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

rb924119 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:30 pm

bobjohnsonforthehall wrote:
essexcountypete wrote:
rb924119 wrote:

told ya

Its a disease! The only cure is more snow!
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

CPcantmeasuresnow, rb924119 and essexcountypete like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by nutleyblizzard Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:47 pm

Can’t wait till the Nam is in range. We should see some doozy runs
nutleyblizzard
nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:07 pm

rb924119 wrote:
Frank_Wx wrote:Something I just noticed and don't really like - at least on the GFS - is how there is a High Pressure east of Maine. Between that and the east-based NAO block I fear that would give credence to a storm tracking up the coast or even slightly inland. Hmmm, will need to keep an eye on that feature.

Without the secondary phase, this is a valid concern if these northern tracks are legitimate. But if we get that secondary phase, then I wouldn’t worry too much about it. That secondary phase would be your injection of fresh cold air, as that is a direct Arctic discharge into the backside of our storm. Baby go boom lol

Yeah pinwheeled right off the TPV lobe over Hudson Bay.

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

rb924119 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:14 pm

TWC went from literally no snow for my area next week, to now showing 6-12 inches Sunday night into Monday. The next several days are gonna be fun tracking things!
Irish
Irish
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

rb924119 and heehaw453 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:18 pm

Grselig wrote:
bobjohnsonforthehall wrote:
essexcountypete wrote:
rb924119 wrote:

told ya

Its a disease!   The only cure is more snow!

Except it's not even a cure, it's just a drug to treat the symptoms. But several days after the storm you need more, or all the symptoms return, whining, depression, insomnia etc.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

rb924119, Grselig, essexcountypete and heehaw453 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:47 pm

Rb March 94
March 2-3 was an good storm to the NYC Metro and coastal regions. Move this 100 miles SE and its a banger, it was March this is the heart of Jan.

STORM DESCRIPTION
A powerful nor'easter brought two days of rain, sleet, snow, high winds, coastal flooding and beach erosion to New Jersey.

Synoptic Discussion
The storm system developed along the Front Range of the Rockies on February 27th. It sank southward into western Texas on February 28th, moved eastward to Louisiana on March 1st, and reached South Carolina on the 2nd. It then turned northeastward, strengthening rapidly as it reached the Delmarva peninsula early on the 3rd. The storm continued moving northeastward but only strengthened a little more, reaching Nova Scotia early on the 4th.

Local Discussion
Precipitation slowly overspread the state from south to north during the day on the 2nd, becoming heavy at times several hours after beginning. Across the south, precipitation that began in the form of snow changed to sleet and then rain by midday on the 2nd as warm air moved northward both at the surface and aloft. Further north, precipitation gradually mixed with and changed to sleet and rain across central New Jersey during the night of the 2nd. Across northern New Jersey, precipitation mixed with sleet, but generally remained in frozen form for the duration of the storm. Precipitation intensity decreased significantly overnight on the 2nd and continued at a very light rate for most of the 3rd. The rain and drizzle across southern and central New Jersey and the sleet and drizzle across northern New Jersey briefly mixed with snow before ending during the evening of the 3rd as cold air wrapped back across the state in the storm's wake. Accumulations were highest across the northwest, where they averaged from 8 to 16 inches. Across northeastern and central New Jersey, accumulations ranged from 5 to 8 inches, while across east-central and southern New Jersey, accumulations were mainly on the order of a coating to 4 inches. The storm also caused wind gusts in excess of 60 mph, especially along the coast, which in turn resulted in significant beach erosion and mostly minor coastal flooding.

Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 3 Njsnow10
Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 3 Njsnow10

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

rb924119 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:54 pm

What a jump eh? The players are on the field and do not flip if it shows a less or undesirable solution IMBY.
There is a quantum amout of time, 12 more cycle model runs and we see with these bigger storms that they are here, gone tomorrow, correct left, right and settle in. The energy is not in well samples areas and won't be until Thursday so make the popcorn and hang tight.

NAM just brought Fridays storm closer to the coast and LI. Just saying....

amugs
amugs

rb924119 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:58 pm

From a pro Met

I see a couple of scenarios that work for us.

1) We get a powerful, phased shortwave entering the US along the downstream side of the PNA ridge really far back west that amplifies and cuts itself off quickly, but while also having the ocean storm more phased into the TPV, allowing a perfect combination of beastly shortwave and confluence. This would result in a blizzard on Sunday night into Monday.

2) We get a phased shortwave entering the US along the downstream side of the PNA ridge, but it's more progressive initially -- progressive and phased like the 12z NAVGEM. This way you still get downstream height rises but it does not cut itself off (or cuts off very late). This allows for a faster solution that coincides with when the TPV lobe is still in Southeast Canada. This would result in a blizzard on Sunday.

Perhaps scenario 2.5 like the UKMET, increased phasing with the ocean storm allows confluence to linger long enough for our storm to cut itself off but gain latitude a lot slower while it waits for a phase

amugs
amugs

rb924119 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:05 pm

Thanks, mugs!

I expect 18z GFS to show a more amplified solution based on its presentation through 84. 18z Op run, so just have fun lol

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:15 pm

And it is. Drives the primary northward over D.C. Don’t panic, folks lol it’s an 18z GFS Op run. We are going to see a lot of model outputs between now and Sunday haha just enjoy the ride!

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

heehaw453 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:10 pm

GEFS are beautiful IMO

Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 3 3C1E21B4-FEE8-4F9F-BF61-279D3F3C9B9D.png.c11d442eb6c542156baf6689322d491e

amugs
amugs

jmanley32 and SENJsnowman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:53 pm

I've seen huge jumps west today the word Madonne from Frank and rb..can I get a little excited? I remember January 2016 well. Got obliterated like 28 inches!!
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:55 pm

amugs wrote:GEFS are beautiful IMO

Winter - Momentum building for possible storm on JAN 16th? - Page 3 3C1E21B4-FEE8-4F9F-BF61-279D3F3C9B9D.png.c11d442eb6c542156baf6689322d491e
Compared to less than a day ago when models showed a storm completely missing?
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:37 pm

jmanley32 wrote:I've seen huge jumps west today the word Madonne from Frank and rb..can I get a little excited? I remember January 2016 well. Got obliterated like 28 inches!!

No, do your best to hold back on any real true excitement because the letdown is just awful. We wait and anticipation builds...
Irish
Irish
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum