NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banter Thread 7.0

+33
brownie
mmanisca
Grselig
GreyBeard
Dunnzoo
Taffy
Quietace
HectorO
Frank_Wx
billg315
dolphins222
sroc4
essexcountypete
docstox12
Ronfdny
TheAresian
phil155
Scullybutcher
Math23x7
lglickman1
dkodgis
weatherwatchermom
jmanley32
SENJsnowman
CPcantmeasuresnow
rb924119
nutleyblizzard
crippo84
RJB8525
frank 638
mikeypizano
heehaw453
amugs
37 posters

Page 4 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 23  Next

Go down

nywx - Banter Thread 7.0 - Page 4 Empty Re: Banter Thread 7.0

Post by jmanley32 Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:33 pm

I am curious to admins or Frank, how is a users reputation calculated, what does it mean and does it go up and down or only up?

jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:35 pm

jmanley32 wrote:I am curious to admins or Frank, how is a users reputation calculated, what does it mean and does it go up and down or only up?
I think it is simply a count of how many “Likes” your posts get.

billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:41 pm

billg315 wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:I am curious to admins or Frank, how is a users reputation calculated, what does it mean and does it go up and down or only up?
I think it is simply a count of how many “Likes” your posts get.

Actually, the green thumbs up button gives a rep point for each time its hit. But its a lot more simple (and seems much less pretentious) to 'like' someone's post than to give them 'rep points'.

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:43 pm

I'm pretty sure the thumbs up/rep points debuted a season or two before the like button, and that is when most people compiled their rep points. Since the like button went up, you don't see rep points given out too much at all...

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:47 pm

Whoever did that has my kind of sense of humor...lol and thanks! ha ha!

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:52 pm

SENJsnowman wrote:Whoever did that has my kind of sense of humor...lol and thanks! ha ha!
Wink
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:06 pm

billg315 wrote:
SENJsnowman wrote:Whoever did that has my kind of sense of humor...lol and thanks! ha ha!
Wink

🍻

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:12 am

Get the feeling our good friend  @Taffy is going to be our jackpot with this storm

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Taffy and weatherwatchermom like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:24 am

I got a good feeling this storm will be a bust and Boston jackpots.
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:37 am

I think LI and Coastal Jersey can get up to a foot but, yes, Boston will jackpot on this maybe 18 inches.All of Eastern New England in the heavy snow area.
NWS has me for nothing, only a 30% chance of snow while Accuweather says maybe 3 to 6.This is not the storm for N and W areas, will try to break the S and E pattern on the next one.I will see tomorrow am if I get a little more out of this.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:12 am

Good morning everyone! Thank you Frank for sending an email to check up on me. I really appreciate it. I will speak on here, so I don't have to type the same thing twice lol. The past two years have been pretty tough. Back in 2020, due to covid, a business that I worked really hard on had come to a halt. It was very depressing and tough to have to navigate in this new world. Prior to that, in December of 2019, my wife and I separated. So here I was dealing with a business falling and a separation. In May of 2020, my wife and I got back together. Everything seemed fine. But in 2021 we would separate again. This was crushing, as this time it would lead to divorce papers being signed.

At the end of 2021 I reached to an old friend, who like myself is an entrepreneur. He gave me the pep talk I needed. 1 year later from the second separation, my business is building back up, I've landed a good job while it builds up, and I have investors in my business to re-open completely by 2023. It's been a wild rollercoaster ride, but having GRIT has helped me get back on my feet. Sorry for the long rant btw. I just wanted to catch everyone up. And I'll be back on here!

With that said: I need to change my photo LOL
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Frank_Wx, docstox12, CPcantmeasuresnow, kalleg, RJB8525, Taffy, crippo84 and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RJB8525 Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:29 am

mikeypizano wrote:I got a good feeling this storm will be a bust and Boston jackpots.

all out of hope for us NW peeps
RJB8525
RJB8525
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:49 am

I am completely frazzled by this storm, not because I want snow so badly or to jackpot but purely because we have NO consensus so close to game time, I am sick of it. I really should just walk away until Friday night runs but I just can't lol, I just do not get it we can make human like robots now but our weather models suck a**
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:53 am

jmanley32 wrote:I am completely frazzled by this storm, not because I want snow so badly or to jackpot but purely because we have NO consensus so close to game time, I am sick of it.  I really should just walk away until Friday night runs but I just can't lol, I just do not get it we can make human like robots now but our weather models suck a**
Well, at the most basic scale we are predicting legitimate chaos using imperfect methods with a significant amount of estimation. Just changing the number of floating points in a number can significantly change the outcome of model simulations.....sensitivity is the name of the game, hence the wide use of ensembles.
But this is the best we can do at this point in time. And we are closing in on diminishing returns of increasing resolution based on our current numerical methods....
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by crippo84 Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:01 pm

jmanley32 wrote:I am completely frazzled by this storm, not because I want snow so badly or to jackpot but purely because we have NO consensus so close to game time, I am sick of it.  I really should just walk away until Friday night runs but I just can't lol, I just do not get it we can make human like robots now but our weather models suck a**

Natural phenomenon like weather are exactly that. They are out of our control as much as we may study it and feel we understand it. Which is why models shouldn't be used directly for forecasts. They're used as tools to help us forecast.

Our climate and subsequent day by day weather are ever evolving and what seems like becoming more complex. We've come a long way from only having the ability to stick our finger in the air to predict how the immediate weather may pan out. And we're still a very long way from a computer model being able to accurately forecast our weather with pinpoint accuracy as long as our climates evolve.

Just my two cents - from one frustrated weather nerd to the next haha.
crippo84
crippo84

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:15 pm

HectorO wrote:Good morning everyone! Thank you Frank for sending an email to check up on me. I really appreciate it. I will speak on here, so I don't have to type the same thing twice lol. The past two years have been pretty tough. Back in 2020, due to covid, a business that I worked really hard on had come to a halt. It was very depressing and tough to have to navigate in this new world. Prior to that, in December of 2019, my wife and I separated. So here I was dealing with a business falling and a separation. In May of 2020, my wife and I got back together. Everything seemed fine. But in 2021 we would separate again. This was crushing, as this time it would lead to divorce papers being signed.

At the end of 2021 I reached to an old friend, who like myself is an entrepreneur. He gave me the pep talk I needed. 1 year later from the second separation, my business is building back up, I've landed a good job while it builds up, and I have investors in my business to re-open completely by 2023. It's been a wild rollercoaster ride, but having GRIT has helped me get back on my feet. Sorry for the long rant btw. I just wanted to catch everyone up. And I'll be back on here!

Hector. What an amazing story and thank you for sharing. Im really glad you never gave up, and things are turning around. Its been awhile since you and I battled on here. Wink . Anyway keep pushing forward. Obv there are still challenges ahead but hopefully nothing like the last two years.

Cheers Brother.

Scott

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

HectorO likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:38 pm

HectorO wrote:Good morning everyone! Thank you Frank for sending an email to check up on me. I really appreciate it. I will speak on here, so I don't have to type the same thing twice lol. The past two years have been pretty tough. Back in 2020, due to covid, a business that I worked really hard on had come to a halt. It was very depressing and tough to have to navigate in this new world. Prior to that, in December of 2019, my wife and I separated. So here I was dealing with a business falling and a separation. In May of 2020, my wife and I got back together. Everything seemed fine. But in 2021 we would separate again. This was crushing, as this time it would lead to divorce papers being signed.

I will say to you what old timers way back when said to me "Atta Boy"!!
Went through a bad divorce in 1989 losing half of everything but, like you, got off the canvas and kept on punching.These battle scars of life make you tougher! Glad to see you back former Mahwah resident like me.All the best for continued success, you are young, strong and healthy. so go get em!
DOC
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

HectorO likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:42 pm

Summary of Lower Hudson Valley winter to date:

December and January have busted low for snow totals.There is usually 50 inches in a season, or about 12.5 inches per month Dec,Jan,Feb March.We are about 12 inches below normal at this juncture.We have had a cold month in January but dry.
The failure of southern stream energies plus the progressive flow, have taken snowstorms S and E of here, and this one coming , barring major westward movement, looks to do the same.
Until this pattern breaks, I expect the same for Feb and March leading to below normal snowfall up here.

PS CP don't read this,lol.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:45 pm

crippo84 wrote:

Natural phenomenon like weather are exactly that. They are out of our control as much as we may study it and feel we understand it. Which is why models shouldn't be used directly for forecasts. They're used as tools to help us forecast.

Our climate and subsequent day by day weather are ever evolving and what seems like becoming more complex. We've come a long way from only having the ability to stick our finger in the air to predict how the immediate weather may pan out. And we're still a very long way from a computer model being able to accurately forecast our weather with pinpoint accuracy as long as our climates evolve.

Just my two cents - from one frustrated weather nerd to the next haha.

Bill Evans said way back on the old ABC Weather Site..."models are for guidance purposes only".
I think they are excellent picking up a storm days out, but at this juncture, the technology is not advanced enough to pinpoint exactly where or how much precip.Too many variables to figure.This current storm illustrates what I say.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffy Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:47 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:Get the feeling our good friend  @Taffy is going to be our jackpot with this storm

Did someone mention my name? Hello guys and gals! I'm still checking in! Very Happy
Taffy
Taffy
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

sroc4 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:50 pm

Taffy wrote:
Frank_Wx wrote:Get the feeling our good friend  @Taffy is going to be our jackpot with this storm

Did someone mention my name?   Hello guys and gals! I'm still checking in! Very Happy

Hi Taffy, nice to hear from you and enjoy the snow...if it doesn't go as far east as the Flemish Cap,LOL
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Taffy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffy Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:25 pm

docstox12 wrote:
Taffy wrote:

Did someone mention my name?   Hello guys and gals! I'm still checking in! Very Happy

Hi Taffy, nice to hear from you and enjoy the snow...if it doesn't go as far east as the Flemish Cap,LOL

Hey Doc, I'm not rubbing salt in the wounds here but we a "supposed" to get 10-16". We'll see but it does look that way. I haven't found a group like this that is MA centered. They really need one! I still like looking in and reading the posts. It's a slice of home which is good because the pizza around here sux.
Taffy
Taffy
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

CPcantmeasuresnow likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:32 pm

docstox12 wrote:Summary of Lower Hudson Valley winter to date:

December and January have busted low for snow totals.There is usually 50 inches in a season, or about 12.5 inches per month Dec,Jan,Feb March.We are about 12 inches below normal at this juncture.We have had a cold month in January but dry.
The failure of southern stream energies plus the progressive flow, have taken snowstorms S and E of here, and this one coming , barring major westward movement, looks to do the same.
Until this pattern breaks, I expect the same for Feb and March leading to below normal snowfall up here.

Doc I can't disagree with anything you said but you did leave out we've had a solid snow cover since January 7th and in my ratings of winters that always weighs heavily for me. Throw in three sub zero mornings so far and the below average snowfall hasn't bothered me as much as it normally would. I'm looking forward to Saturdays flurries.

Here's to hoping everyone cashes in to their max.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

SENJsnowman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:52 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
docstox12 wrote:Summary of Lower Hudson Valley winter to date:

Doc I can't disagree with anything you said but you did leave out we've had a solid snow cover since January 7th and in my ratings of winters that always weighs heavily for me. Throw in three sub zero mornings so far and the below average snowfall hasn't bothered me as much as it normally would. I'm looking forward to Saturdays flurries.

Here's to hoping everyone cashes in to their max.

CP, what you mentioned is the savings grace for the season so far.If we were going into this storm with a bare ground, it really would be a kick in the head as Dean Martin once sang.
So lets see, counting Jan 7 we have had 21 snowpack days.That is a consolation for sure.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:57 pm

Taffy wrote:
docstox12 wrote:
Taffy wrote:

Hey Doc, I'm not rubbing salt in the wounds here but we a "supposed" to get 10-16". We'll see but it does look that way. I haven't found a group like this that is MA centered. They really need one! I still like looking in and reading the posts. It's a slice of home which is good because the pizza around here sux.

Taffy, you won't find a group like this in ANY state,LOL. Remember OTI? Poor Frank he would have been recognized nationally for this weather site but for us lunatics creating that.
That's funny about the pizza up there.Thought there were Italian neighborhoods in Boston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8ti1hnLiLw
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffy Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:09 pm

Doc, we do have the North End and East Boston has some of the best pies around but I live in Hopkinton which is a sleepy little village until the day of the Boston Marathon. Then, the next day we roll up the sidewalks again!  OTI was a hoot and I'm just glad we were tolerated! I get down to Jersey every other month to see my daughters and that's when I mangia good pies. When Anthony passed away several years ago, Boston had a special memorial and tribute for him.
Taffy
Taffy
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Frank_Wx likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:46 pm

Wow, Hector. I’m sorry for the difficult and trying times you’ve had to endure the last couple of years. In a way your story is inspiring and defines perseverance. Very happy to hear things are turning around. God bless and keep pushing!! 

Also, you provide a lot of balance for us on here haha

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

HectorO and Taffy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content