NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rocktober Obs & Discussions

+17
SENJsnowman
Radz
GreyBeard
CPcantmeasuresnow
Quietace
weatherwatchermom
Dunnzoo
sroc4
nutleyblizzard
billg315
docstox12
Math23x7
jmanley32
kalleg
frank 638
dkodgis
amugs
21 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Winter - Rocktober Obs & Discussions - Page 7 Empty Re: Rocktober Obs & Discussions

Post by Math23x7 Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:44 am

Yesterday, I did yet another hike, this time on the Breakmeck Ridge Trail in Beacon, NY. This is not the summit, but this is a nice view featuring the Hudson River on the right hand side.

Winter - Rocktober Obs & Discussions - Page 7 Ce1dc210

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

amugs, kalleg, brownie, weatherwatchermom and SENJsnowman like this post

Back to top Go down

Winter - Rocktober Obs & Discussions - Page 7 Empty Re: Rocktober Obs & Discussions

Post by sroc4 Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:12 am

Math23x7 wrote:Yesterday, I did yet another hike, this time on the Breakmeck Ridge Trail in Beacon, NY.  This is not the summit, but this is a nice view featuring the Hudson River on the right hand side.

Love it Mike. Is there a specific location or route you would recc for my family? We consider ourselves moderately experienced, and all in good shape.

sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:43 pm

sroc4 wrote:
Math23x7 wrote:Yesterday, I did yet another hike, this time on the Breakmeck Ridge Trail in Beacon, NY.  This is not the summit, but this is a nice view featuring the Hudson River on the right hand side.

Love it Mike.  Is there a specific location or route you would recc for my family?  We consider ourselves moderately experienced, and all in good shape.  

Well, in both hikes, according to my health app, I climbed the equivalent of over 100 flights of stairs. In my Bear Mountain hike from a weekend ago, I went by myself and wasn't the best prepared in that I brought just one water bottle with me and just one snack when I reality I should have brought more with me. Additionally, I learned the hard way that regular sneakers were not necessarily the best option for a hike like this as they were basically worn after said hike. After that, I had the appetite for another hike of that sorts, but felt I needed to be in a group. There is a website called Meetups.com that I used. I searched for hiking events in the Hudson Valley for people in my age group for this weekend and found one that did just that. For Breakneck Ridge, there are several options. We took the one that was faster but tougher, with lots of rock climbing. I was more prepared for this one as I had hiking boots, multiple water bottles, and multiple snacks for the hike, though I could have been slightly more prepared. I did have a small cut on my hand from the hike, so a first-aid kit likely would have come in handy.

Given that these hikes were in the mid-Hudson, and given that you're out on Eastern LI, I'm not sure when you would be making the trip for this. However, I would recommend all the things I mentioned above: multiple water bottles, some snacks (I prefer Clif bars), good hiking boots and a first-aid kit on hand.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

brownie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:59 pm

Math23x7 wrote:
sroc4 wrote:

Love it Mike.  Is there a specific location or route you would recc for my family?  We consider ourselves moderately experienced, and all in good shape.  

Well, in both hikes, according to my health app, I climbed the equivalent of over 100 flights of stairs.  In my Bear Mountain hike from a weekend ago, I went by myself and wasn't the best prepared in that I brought just one water bottle with me and just one snack when I reality I should have brought more with me.  Additionally, I learned the hard way that regular sneakers were not necessarily the best option for a hike like this as they were basically worn after said hike.  After that, I had the appetite for another hike of that sorts, but felt I needed to be in a group.  There is a website called Meetups.com that I used.  I searched for hiking events in the Hudson Valley for people in my age group for this weekend and found one that did just that.  For Breakneck Ridge, there are several options.  We took the one that was faster but tougher, with lots of rock climbing.  I was more prepared for this one as I had hiking boots, multiple water bottles, and multiple snacks for the hike, though I could have been slightly more prepared. I did have a small cut on my hand from the hike, so a first-aid kit likely would have come in handy.

Given that these hikes were in the mid-Hudson, and given that you're out on Eastern LI, I'm not sure when you would be making the trip for this.  However, I would recommend all the things I mentioned above: multiple water bottles, some snacks (I prefer Clif bars), good hiking boots and a first-aid kit on hand.

Cool. Thanks for the info Mike. I plugged Breakneck Ridge into my Waze App and its only a little over two hrs away, depending on traffic of course. My family has taken trips off the island into Ct Mass, and upstate NY to hike before. Head out early, hike from like 10a-3pm ish and head home. Like I said we are moderately experienced. We have def been out without enough water or snacks. To me that is key. Anyway thanks again for the info.

PS: I love cliff bars. White Chocolate and the peanut butter ones are my favorite.

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:03 pm

Get ready this is giong to be the last time we have to do this I believe since they passed a bill last year about not falling back, setting the clocks back one hour but rather leaving them in Standard time(?)

Winter - Rocktober Obs & Discussions - Page 7 FgZ1chhXwAMJqqm?format=jpg&name=large

Winter - Rocktober Obs & Discussions - Page 7 FgZ1chkXgAMwLSU?format=jpg&name=large

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyICE Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:21 pm

amugs wrote:Get ready this is giong to be the last time we have to do this I believe since they passed a bill last year about not falling back, setting the clocks back one hour but rather leaving them in Standard time(?)

Winter - Rocktober Obs & Discussions - Page 7 FgZ1chhXwAMJqqm?format=jpg&name=large

Winter - Rocktober Obs & Discussions - Page 7 FgZ1chkXgAMwLSU?format=jpg&name=large

I’m pretty sure it’s not law. I think the senate passed the bill but I don’t think the house ever voted on it, or even plans to.

MattyICE
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:40 pm

Assuming we have some Phillies fans on here? Luckily the weather will improve for the game tomorrow night. If it were for an HP to our north temps would be getting into the mid/upper 70s. I wouldn’t discount that this weekend…

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:10 am

Some Monthly Departures:

Precipitation

Winter - Rocktober Obs & Discussions - Page 7 MonthPDeptNRCC

Temperatures
Winter - Rocktober Obs & Discussions - Page 7 MonthTDeptNRCC

Close up of NJ, NY and Penn
NJ
Winter - Rocktober Obs & Discussions - Page 7 MonthTDeptNJ

NY
Winter - Rocktober Obs & Discussions - Page 7 MonthTDeptNY

Penn
Winter - Rocktober Obs & Discussions - Page 7 MonthTDeptPA

Below Normal Temps are in the books and Above Normal Precipitation.
We made a massive dent in the drought, really isn't one anymore.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:46 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:Assuming we have some Phillies fans on here? Luckily the weather will improve for the game tomorrow night. If it were for an HP to our north temps would be getting into the mid/upper 70s. I wouldn’t discount that this weekend…

Yeah, I'm glad they cancelled last night and didn't try to play through it. Trying to get postseason games played in "windows" between showers isn't practical and they end up usually playing through the rain, which, as was evident in the top of the 7th inning of Game 5 NLCS, can impact on the game itself. Almost always better to scrap it and just wait a day for better conditions -- especially when there are no games beyond this weekend to worry about impacting.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum