NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

February 2014 General Observations / Discussions

+33
nutleyblizzard
Scullybutcher
algae888
cooladi
dkodgis
Joe Snow
HeresL
HectorO
sroc4
Dtone
Radz
skinsfan1177
Sparky Sparticles
Math23x7
katcar
Artechmetals
Dunnzoo
Quietace
Snow88
docstox12
SoulSingMG
CPcantmeasuresnow
oldtimer
essexcountypete
sabamfa
amugs
mako460
aiannone
SNOW MAN
tigernumba1
NjWeatherGuy
jmanley32
Frank_Wx
37 posters

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Go down

February 2014 General Observations / Discussions  - Page 8 Empty Re: February 2014 General Observations / Discussions

Post by NjWeatherGuy Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:48 am

Right on the edge of the heavy rain here, by radar looks like its going to come down hard in a minute.

NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

February 2014 General Observations / Discussions  - Page 8 Empty Re: February 2014 General Observations / Discussions

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:49 am

31° here right now. precipitation shield is just moving in, it looks like I'll be right near the dividing line when it changes from freezing rain to heavy snow. Should be an interesting next two hours.

CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by essexcountypete Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:53 am

NJ, a friend in Hillsborough says she has tunder and lightning.
essexcountypete
essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:54 am

essexcountypete wrote:NJ, a friend in Hillsborough says she has tunder and lightning.

At work here and my office has large windows and so far I cannot confirm that. Just mod rain now.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:56 am

Weather app spark alert says lightning within 2 miles so its quite possible.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:56 am

moderate freezing rain here right now, 31°. Hoping for that changeover to heavy snow, I only need half an inch to go over 70 inches for the season.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:58 am

Thundersnow in Vernon - accumulated 2" in about 5minutes from a report on another board - INSANE!! 12" in an hour!!!

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:59 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:moderate freezing rain here right now, 31°. Hoping for that changeover to heavy snow, I only need half an inch to go over 70 inches for the season.

What I figures out from the last ice storm is that ice doesnt accreate much with marginal temps and heavy precip, it will most likely be wet most places especially if the heavy precip goes through your area.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:00 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
amugs wrote:CP could you imagine if this rolled in at 7:30Am - holy crips we would be in trouble! Dodged a big bullet but NW Passaic and Sussex getting smacked ice, snow and sleet - buddy said it is dangerous up there. EPA - Thunder Freezing Rain like last Thursday Night!

Mugs, what a freaking winter. That's really all you can say. It's ranking up there among the top five I've seen in my lifetime. A cold and snowy March, may put it at the top of my list.

An April blizzard would be the icing on the cake - I think people would abandoned ship!! HAHAHA!!

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:02 am

amugs wrote:Thundersnow in Vernon - accumulated 2" in about 5minutes from a report on another board - INSANE!! 12" in an hour!!!

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce 

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:04 am

amugs wrote:Thundersnow in Vernon - accumulated 2" in about 5minutes from a report on another board - INSANE!! 12" in an hour!!!

Insane is a good description.The snow shield doesn't seem to want to come far enough east so I'm not sure if I'm going to see it or not.

Still 31° here with moderatefreezing rain. There are a few snowflakes mixed and at times. As Tom stated earlier freezing rain and 31° shouldn't be much of an issue. What I've seen through the years, it really has to be 28° or below for it to begin freezing on streets.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:17 am

amugs wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
amugs wrote:CP could you imagine if this rolled in at 7:30Am - holy crips we would be in trouble! Dodged a big bullet but NW Passaic and Sussex getting smacked ice, snow and sleet - buddy said it is dangerous up there. EPA - Thunder Freezing Rain like last Thursday Night!

Mugs, what a freaking winter. That's really all you can say. It's ranking up there among the top five I've seen in my lifetime. A cold and snowy March, may put it at the top of my list.

An April blizzard would be the icing on the cake - I think people would abandoned ship!! HAHAHA!!

Mugs, that would be the icing on the cake, and probably would drive a lot of people over the edge. I of course remember the mother of all April blizzards and I'm sure Doc remembers it well too. I would think you were old enough to remember it also although you were probably only about 12 at the time.

April 6, 1982, I was in college and got tickets for opening day at Yankee Stadium with a couple of buddies. I wasn't following the weather that closely then and when we woke up that morning, there were blizzard conditions already,with about a foot of snow on the ground. The temperature was in the low 20s, throughout the day. Needless to say opening day was canceled and was put back five days before they could clear out Yankee Stadium.

Central Park ended up with 9.6 inches of snow, the usual undercount. Most of the city recorded between 10 and 12 inches of snow. Here in the Hudson Valley it was anywhere from 14 to 24 inches. The other insane thing about that blizzard was the temperatures. You have to remember, this is going into the second week of April. The day after the storm, the temperature was 12° here and it was 19 in the city and only got up to about 30, the next day. During the storm no one got out of the 20s, even in the middle of the day.

It would seem fitting this year that we end the winter with something like that.

Last edited by CPcantmeasuresnow on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am; edited 2 times in total
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by katcar Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:26 am

26 in Monticello. Snowing heavy for last hour, about 3 1/2" already. We are under a freezing rain advisory until 12 but it's all snow so far

katcar

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:29 am

Heavy heavy rain right now. Wow

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:30 am

NW NJ has already seen 3-5 inches of snow in 1 hour :O

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:31 am

katcar wrote:26 in Monticello. Snowing heavy for last hour, about 3 1/2" already.  We are under a freezing rain advisory until 12 but it's all snow so far

Amazing, the National Weather Service didn't seem to see this coming for the Hudson Valley. The only one that seemed to see this last night was of all people the weather Channel. I should've known when they backed off that forecast this morning,that it actually would happen.

31° here right now with freezing rain and some snow mixed in. I'm probably right on the dividing line and may not change over to all snow, like many places 30 and 40 miles west of me did.

Last edited by CPcantmeasuresnow on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:33 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
amugs wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

Mugs, that would be the icing on the cake, and probably would drive a lot of people over the edge. I of course remember the mother of all April blizzards and I'm sure Doc remembers it well too. I would think you were old enough to remember it also although you were probably only about 12 at the time.

April 6, 1982, I was in college and got tickets for opening day at Yankee Stadium with a couple of buddies. I wasn't following the weather that closely then and when we woke up that morning, there were blizzard conditions already,with about a foot of snow on the ground. The temperature was in the low 20s, throughout the day. Needless to say opening day was canceled and was put back five days before they could clear out Yankee Stadium.

Central Park ended up with 9.6 inches of snow, the usual undercount. Most of the city recorded between 10 and 14 inches of snow. Here in the Hudson Valley it was anywhere from 16 to 24 inches. The other insane thing about that blizzard was the temperatures. You have to remember, this is going into the second week of April. The day after the storm, the temperature was 12° here and it was 19 in the city and only got up into the mid-30s, the next day. During the storm no one got out of the 20s, even in the middle of the day.

It would seem fitting this year that we end the winter with something like that.

In late February, March, and April, the sun angle obviously plays a big role in snow accumulations. In fact, many of the snow events I remember during this time had the snow fall during the nighttime hours. But I think there are three ways for the snow to override the sun angle. Note: this is just my opinion, it does not mean this is completely accurate.
1) Very cold temperatures, specifically temperatures mid-20s or below as mentioned with April 1982.
2) Very heavy snowfall rates, which apparently occurred during the April 7th, 2003 snowstorm. I remember it really came down during the event, even though we had daylight and marginal temperatures.
3) snow covered pavement. During the March 7-8, 2013 snowstorm, the snow continued to come down even after daybreak on the 8th. I got 6-8" from the event, but the bulk of it came after daybreak.

It'll be interesting how the potential snow events next week and beyond play out with this criteria.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:36 am

25 degrees most of the morning here in Circleville, NY about 7 miles south of Pinebush (bordering Ulster and Sullivan counties). Heavy snow with about 4 inches of snow but at 11:30 am now sleeting at 27 degrees
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:46 am

It's good to hear from the Hudson Valley people this morning.

I did post last night that I thought parts of the Hudson Valley and NW Jersey, could see 2 to 4 inches of snow from this. Of course, it looks like I'm missing out on most of it. It seems like everything is happening 15 miles north of me or 30 miles west of me.

It's probably for the best, it may have saved my roof from collapsing.

I think I may have reinjured my shoulder again patting myself on the back.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by HeresL Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:57 am

Vernon has snow? I'm only a few miles east of Vernon and we have rain. As for it not causing a problem on streets... It IS causing a problem here. I've got 31 degrees and my driveway is an ice rink. They didn't salt or plow my streets to blacktop so now the streets in my neighborhood are really slick. I hope the school buses will be ok this afternoon...
HeresL
HeresL

Back to top Go down

Post by cooladi Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:21 pm

Plain rain in NYC, but pouring out.

cooladi
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:06 pm

CP and Math - I certainly do remember that blizzard/snowstorm and I could not believe it - I was in the 7th grade at the time and 12 years old - CP are you rain man in disguise with these numbers???

Anyway, I remember coming out of the bathroom the morning before and listening to the radio and good old Mr. G said we would have a major snowstorm tomorrow - I thought it was an old April's fool joke. What I recall was the intense sleet we had probably about 4-6" worth after we had about 6" of snow - crazy, remarkable are some words to describe this. Six weeks later we opened my swimming pool - go figure. I remember the plow just plowing ice balls and it poured sleet for hours with that storm.

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:15 pm

amugs wrote:CP and Math - I certainly do remember that blizzard/snowstorm and I could not believe it - I was in the 7th grade at the time and 12 years old - CP are you rain man in disguise with these numbers???

Anyway, I remember coming out of the bathroom the morning before and listening to the radio and good old Mr. G said we would have a major snowstorm tomorrow - I thought it was an old April's fool joke. What I recall was the intense sleet we had probably about 4-6" worth after we had about 6" of snow - crazy, remarkable are some words to describe this.  Six weeks later we opened my swimming pool - go figure. I remember the plow just plowing ice balls and it poured sleet for hours with that storm.

Well, I'm in my 20s, so it was before I was born. My mother, however, was in college in Westchester County and her Easter break began as the storm was beginning. It was a big struggle for her to get back home in Queens...

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:33 pm

Stayed only rain here.35 degrees and rain has ended.

Yep, the youngsters here weren't even born or too young to remember April 1982.

Started that day watching TWC when it was really a good channel.They said that the rarrest of things was going to happen, an April blizzard.I didn't believe it and went in at 8 AM to open my office.Sure enough, by 11 AM a flood of cancellations came in and I decided to bail out while I could still drive.12 or 13 inches here followed by very cold temps.

It's the only big April snowstorm I've ever seen here and don't expect to see another one,LOL!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:05 pm

docstox12 wrote:Stayed only rain here.35 degrees and rain has ended.

Yep, the youngsters here weren't even born or too young to remember April 1982.

Started that day watching TWC when it was really a good channel.They said that the rarrest of things was going to happen, an April blizzard.I didn't believe it and went in at 8 AM to open my office.Sure enough, by 11 AM a flood of cancellations came in and I decided to bail out while I could still drive.12 or 13 inches here followed by very cold temps.

It's the only big April snowstorm I've ever seen here and don't expect to see another one,LOL!

Doc:

Over the years, I've seen several April snow storms in the HV over a foot ( but none that compared overall to the April 82 Blizzard). Prepare yourself my friend, next year your one of us.  Laughing 
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:17 pm

Bite your tongues. I would lose my mind if we had a blizzard in April. Don't speak of such things
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:19 pm

Looking forward to it, CP. Mahwah is getting busier and noisier by the year.Been here 34 years, time for a change.

Looking forward to those early and late season snowstorms where the HV always shines compared to Bergen County.We never had April snowstorms over a foot in Mahwah except for 1982 and even then, the HV got more.I think a few days after the 1982 snowstorm, we had a mix of rain and snow but you got more snow again.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum