NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

March 2014 Observations/Discussions

+23
Math23x7
GreyBeard
skinsfan1177
pdubz
dad4twoboys
ClimateControl
sroc4
Aiosamoney21
mako460
Abba701
essexcountypete
Dtone
HectorO
CPcantmeasuresnow
SNOW MAN
Sparky Sparticles
amugs
aiannone
docstox12
NjWeatherGuy
Quietace
Frank_Wx
Dunnzoo
27 posters

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

March 2014 Observations/Discussions - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2014 Observations/Discussions

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:30 am

NjWeatherGuy wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
NjWeatherGuy wrote:According to radar it was snowing here for around 12 hours however it was entirely virga. Boring weather pattern coming up.

coming up?

It's been here for 5 weeks.

Yea true, we did have storms to track at least but they were all BS. It's very possible that we wont see a flake more this season.

I know pretty weird, all that potential for 5 weeks. Plenty of cold air, plenty of storms around, and all we've been doing is supplying the mid atlantic cold air so they can get snow.

What a turn of events but that's how it seems to go sometimes. That's why seasons like 1995/96 are so rare, the snow never shut off from November through the first week of April that season. This season pretty much matched that one until it ran out of steam in mid February. That's why 95/96 is still far and away the king.

CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

March 2014 Observations/Discussions - Page 11 Empty Re: March 2014 Observations/Discussions

Post by NjWeatherGuy Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:38 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
NjWeatherGuy wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
NjWeatherGuy wrote:According to radar it was snowing here for around 12 hours however it was entirely virga. Boring weather pattern coming up.

coming up?

Yea true, we did have storms to track at least but they were all BS. It's very possible that we wont see a flake more this season.

I know pretty weird, all that potential for 5 weeks. Plenty of cold air, plenty of storms around, and all we've been doing is supplying the mid atlantic cold air so they can get snow.

What a turn of events but that's how it seems to go sometimes.  That's why seasons like 1995/96 are so rare, the snow never shut off from November through the first week of April that season. This season pretty much matched that one until it ran out of steam in mid February. That's why 95/96 is still far and away the king.

Not to mention the king blizzard of '96

March 2014 Observations/Discussions - Page 11 Currsu12

NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:58 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
NjWeatherGuy wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

coming up?

What a turn of events but that's how it seems to go sometimes.  That's why seasons like 1995/96 are so rare, the snow never shut off from November through the first week of April that season. This season pretty much matched that one until it ran out of steam in mid February. That's why 95/96 is still far and away the king.

CP, was just thinking that about the "King" '95-'96.We had a good chance to break that this year but nothing but cold and dry the last 5 weeks with a few mild shots.If this year could talk it would say "I coulda been a contenda....instead of a bum!". Actually, not like a bum.Maybe a bum in a new suit who hasn't shaved or washed in a month,LOL!

Wonder how the teleconnections were at the start of the '95-'96 winter and how they stayed all season.That pattern was solid gold, snowstorm after snowstorm...late Nov through March.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:59 pm

NjWeatherGuy wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
NjWeatherGuy wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

coming up?

Not to mention the king blizzard of '96

March 2014 Observations/Discussions - Page 11 Currsu12

I'll never get tired looking at that map.Would be a great screen saver for a snow weenie,LOL!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:01 pm

docstox12 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
NjWeatherGuy wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

coming up?

CP, was just thinking that about the "King" '95-'96.We had a good chance to break that this year but nothing but cold and dry the last 5 weeks with a few mild shots.If this year could talk it would say "I coulda been a contenda....instead of a bum!". Actually, not like a bum.Maybe a bum in a new suit who hasn't shaved or washed in a month,LOL!

Wonder how the teleconnections were at the start of the '95-'96 winter and how they stayed all season.That pattern was solid gold, snowstorm after snowstorm...late Nov through March.

Thay year IMBY I had 2 3-6" snowstorms in March and 1 3-6" storm in April. Not to mention the 26" blizzard of '96 and countless moderate and light events.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:03 pm

That's the word.....countless.Glad I was around to witness that year.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:14 pm

docstox12 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
NjWeatherGuy wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

coming up?

Hysterical as always Doc.

We also had a nor'easter in the first week of April that year Doc. I don't remember the exact date but I remember central Park only officially measured 0.7 inches but the storm dropped three or 4 inches at various different times in the city but it kept washing away. It would snow hard for an hour then change back to rain back to snow, our whole area was on the dividing line throughout most of that storm. We ended up with about 10 inches up here, which put us at 108 for the season. That winter truly was relentless.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:35 pm

WOW ! I was down in Parsippany NJ (went to the snow weenie therapist) today. I cannot believe that there is hardly any snow left down there, it looks like a brown wasteland. As I traveled down Rt.80 you could see it disappearing as I went further East. Even in my own area the snow is disappearing at the lower elevations. I'm glad I live up here them there mountains at least I still have snow left on the ground, it would be even more depressing without it. Oh well back to my cave to hibernate and dream of a snowstorm.  Sleep 

P.S. The therapist does have group rates available. Anyone interested ?
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:24 pm

If the long range Euro verified, i might hibernate until June....
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:40 pm

Quietace wrote:If the long range Euro verified, i might hibernate until June....

If the long range EURO verified we'd have over 200 inches of snow this season.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:44 pm

NjWeatherGuy wrote:
Quietace wrote:If the long range Euro verified, i might hibernate until June....

If the long range EURO verified we'd have over 200 inches of snow this season.
Im still looking out my window waiting for it. I've heard the Euro is never wrong. lol
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:54 pm

200 inches I assume that was a joke, there is no way we are getting 150 inches of snow from here on out lol. although that storm signal for next week and snow map through 31st would be gr8, but my trust in any models is zilch at this point. Just looking mainly for patterns like frank does.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:57 pm

I know this is the wrong thread but I wonder if this bad modeling will hold into hurricane season, if any of you know tropicaltidbits.com run by Levi he has avideo out for 2014 predictions, he feels Cape Verde and gulf will be quiet but the east coast may be in for quite a few coastal developers "homegrowns". Farmers almanac has a tropical threat beginning of June for mid atlantic. So does anyone make a tropical thread here or am I just not seeing it, I know its only March but things are already being discussed in terms of predictions.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:04 pm

jmanley32 wrote:I know this is the wrong thread but I wonder if this bad modeling will hold into hurricane season, if any of you know tropicaltidbits.com run by Levi he has  avideo out for 2014 predictions, he feels Cape Verde and gulf will be quiet but the east coast may be in for quite a few coastal developers  "homegrowns".  Farmers almanac has a tropical threat beginning of June for mid atlantic.  So does anyone make a tropical thread here or am I just not seeing it, I know its only March but things are already being discussed in terms of predictions.
We have one every year yes. Last years is pages back (page 5, but wasnt used much due to slow season in the Atlantic) from the summer. We'll probably make a new one again for this upcoming season.
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:28 pm

Quietace wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:I know this is the wrong thread but I wonder if this bad modeling will hold into hurricane season, if any of you know tropicaltidbits.com run by Levi he has  avideo out for 2014 predictions, he feels Cape Verde and gulf will be quiet but the east coast may be in for quite a few coastal developers  "homegrowns".  Farmers almanac has a tropical threat beginning of June for mid atlantic.  So does anyone make a tropical thread here or am I just not seeing it, I know its only March but things are already being discussed in terms of predictions.
We have one every year yes. Last years is pages back (page 5, but wasnt used much due to slow season in the Atlantic) from the summer. We'll probably make a new one again for this upcoming season.

Yea last year was boring, would check in from time to time but didn't bother posting because nothing was really a threat. Heard this year is an El Nino meaning more ocean winds typically inhibit hurricane production, however that typically enhances the severe weather threat over land in the US.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:33 pm

jmanley32 wrote:200 inches I assume that was a joke, there is no way we are getting 150 inches of snow from here on out lol.  although that storm signal for next week and snow map through 31st would be gr8, but my trust in any models is zilch at this point.  Just looking mainly for patterns like frank does.

Jmanley read carefully, I said if the long range EURO was right we'd have over 200" this year. I am referring to the whole season where the long range EURO constantly spat out ridiculous monster storms in the long range. Last night's run is a perfect example, 954mb low just to the east of Boston with a hurricane like precip shield? Lol. It's a joke. All of our major storms this year have come out of nowhere in the short range meaning models weren't showing much of a storm for the area until a couple days before. The only exception is 2/13 which models were hinting on for a while. All other storms that have been on the models in the long to mid range have fallen apart for our area as we get closer to the event. I would argue that this year look at the models only to a couple days out and look for trends in this period, not even pay attention to long range besides a general idea for the pattern (which the models still typically muck up in the long range).
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Just to keep everyone diverse in forum interaction, check out the sports section and off topic sections of the forum as well Very Happy

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:58 am

Good morning everyone. Well it's another cold start today up here in the Pocono's. Right now it's 16* under clear skies with calm winds. Just another BORING DAYweather wise.  Rolling Eyes
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:25 am

Good morning Snow Man.

The tide has turned it seems, 14.5 this morning. That's two in a row, 2-4-1 as the season turns towards spring.

Hopefully this turn of events in our duel will result in a change in our boring weather pattern. I'm getting really tired of being the source of cold air for mid Atlantic snow storms. Also we are running out of time, maybe 2-3 more weeks where we can realistically have a decent shot at snow.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:21 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:Good morning Snow Man.

The tide has turned it seems, 14.5 this morning.  That's two in a row, 2-4-1 as the season turns towards spring.

Hopefully this turn of events in our duel will result in a change in our boring weather pattern. I'm getting really tired of being the source of cold air for mid Atlantic snow storms. Also we are running out of time, maybe 2-3 more weeks where we can realistically have a decent shot at snow.

If losing everyday to you from now until April in the low temp show down would bring us another snow storm. I'd be glad to take that beating with no problem.

SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:32 pm

I just want warmer weather. Last Tuesday was perfection. Just want to lay out in the backyard and soak up some sun.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:11 pm

HectorO wrote:I just want warmer weather. Last Tuesday was perfection. Just want to lay out in the backyard and soak up some sun.

Some 50's beginning tomorrow with some rain Wednesday night. Thursday is the best day this week. Turning colder again by late weekend. Then next week...storm threat. Snow storm threat, that is.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:22 pm

SNOW MAN wrote:

The tide has turned it seems, 14.5 this morning.  That's two in a row, 2-4-1 as the season turns towards spring.

If losing everyday to you from now until April in the low temp show down would bring us another snow storm. I'd be glad to take that beating with no problem.

CP only 7 head to head low temps between u guys?  Really? I thought it was more like the Giants there 0-6.

Snow from your lips to God's ears just when you thought it was over. Like I said my crown does not get removed for refurbishing until the end of this month just when you least expect it sometimes!

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:32 pm

My friend down south got 5 inches of snow yesterday morning. His snow pack is currently at 0.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:54 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:My friend down south got 5 inches of snow yesterday morning. His snow pack is currently at 0.
Mine is also gone, with the exception of some shaded areas that are lightly covered.
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:58 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:My friend down south got 5 inches of snow yesterday morning. His snow pack is currently at 0.

Good. Serves him right. How dare he steal our last two snow storms. I'm pretty fed up with everyone south of the Mason-Dixon Line.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:59 pm

amugs wrote:
SNOW MAN wrote:

CP only 7 head to head low temps between u guys?  Really? I thought it was more like the Giants there 0-6.

Snow from your lips to God's ears just when you thought it was over. Like I said my crown does not get removed for refurbishing until the end of this month just when you least expect it sometimes!

Mugs, I know there's chatter of a possible event next week, but I'm doing the old I'll believe it when I see it out my window routine. Like the song lyric goes "I won't be fooled again".
I know how you feel Mug's. I'm suffering with a respiratory infection myself. Not a lot of fun. Well I hope you feel better.
One question, did you get a flu shot ? My wife and I had the flu at the same time about 12 years ago (a miserable 7 days). Ever since then we've both have gotten flu shots every year. So far we both never had it again. KNOCK WOOD ! Plus It's recommended when your an old geezer like me.  Laughing 

Pssssssstttttttt, see my plan may be working. The old r-----e p--------y effect. sssshhhhhhh.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum