NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weather Statistics Thread

+22
HectorO
SENJsnowman
crippo84
weatherwatchermom
heehaw453
brownie
jmanley32
SnowForest
Dunnzoo
Radz
sroc4
rb924119
amugs
docstox12
Quietace
frank 638
algae888
Math23x7
Dtone
billg315
Frank_Wx
CPcantmeasuresnow
26 posters

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

Weather Statistics Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Weather Statistics Thread

Post by docstox12 Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:58 am

algae888 wrote:Mike it was. even the seventies, although it was very cold, that decade snow seemed to elude us. I lived through the seventies eighties and nineties very frustrating decades except for the two 90 years 93/94 95/96. Since 2000 it's quite remarkable the amount of snow we've had especially with a very rapidly warming climate.

BINGO Al!

You had to live through the 70's, 80.s and 90.s to see this.The only decade to compare to the 2000's was the 1960's.

docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Dtone Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:02 am

yday was around +17 which gave the monthly departures quite a boost. They will probably stay about the same then fall slightly but the damage has been done. Central Park hasn't been below freezing since the 16th & only 10 days this month overall.  At most only half of Jan will have below freezing lows, maybe less.
Despite that snowfall for Jan has still managed to be mostly above norm (esp at JFK, but only slightly so at CPK for obvious reasons)

Jan to date:
CPK 38.5, +5.9  
LGA 40.1, +7.2 (!)
JFK  39.1, +6.4
EWR 38.3, +6.7

HPN 35.7, +7.5 (!)
Islip 36.7, +6.1

Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:15 am

Dtone wrote:yday was around +17 which gave the monthly departures quite a boost. They will probably stay about the same then fall slightly but the damage has been done. Central Park hasn't been below freezing since the 16th & only 10 days this month overall.  At most only half of Jan will have below freezing lows, maybe less.
Despite that snowfall for Jan has still managed to be mostly above norm (esp at JFK, but only slightly so at CPK for obvious reasons)

Jan to date:
CPK 38.5, +5.9  
LGA 40.1, +7.2 (!)
JFK  39.1, +6.4
EWR 38.3, +6.7

HPN 35.7, +7.5 (!)
Islip 36.7, +6.1

Unbelievable, a real torch month if ever there was one.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:16 am

Dtone wrote:yday was around +17 which gave the monthly departures quite a boost. They will probably stay about the same then fall slightly but the damage has been done. Central Park hasn't been below freezing since the 16th & only 10 days this month overall.  At most only half of Jan will have below freezing lows, maybe less.

Jan to date:
CPK 38.5, +5.9  
LGA 40.1, +7.2 (!)
JFK  39.1, +6.4
EWR 38.3, +6.7

HPN 35.7, +7.5 (!)
Islip 36.7, +6.1

I mean, wow. That is just disgraceful.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:06 pm

Can't believe it December 15 and January 17. Have to go down as two of the worst winter months i have ever experienced in my life. Super Nino weak nina. It really doesn't matter. I would love to know what's up with the Nao the last five years and even the ao the last few. I would figure with the warmer artic region we would see more blocking up there. I mean really does a negative Nao even exist anymore
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:53 pm

algae888 wrote:Can't believe it  December 15 and January 17. Have to go down as two of the worst winter months i have ever experienced in my life. Super Nino weak nina. It really doesn't matter. I would love to know what's up with the Nao the last five years and even the ao the last few. I would figure with the warmer artic region we would see more blocking up there. I mean really does a negative Nao even exist anymore

Have to say from just my own hypothesis here the Solar - sunspots and coronal holes have been just hammering us these last number of years. We dont look at this as much as I think we should - why? we dont understand it so what does man do - he usually disregards things he does not know. Just on emans opinion.

Even with solar activity low with sunspots the coronal holes spewing out vast particles that disrupt our pattern and settle into our atmosphere.
We need a massive volcano in the {PAC to go off, some inhabitant island and go 5 miles into teh atmosphere and we can then have ourselves a winter! (of ash and rocks!))

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:25 pm

amugs wrote:
algae888 wrote:Can't believe it  December 15 and January 17. Have to go down as two of the worst winter months i have ever experienced in my life. Super Nino weak nina. It really doesn't matter. I would love to know what's up with the Nao the last five years and even the ao the last few. I would figure with the warmer artic region we would see more blocking up there. I mean really does a negative Nao even exist anymore

Have to say from just my own hypothesis here the Solar - sunspots and coronal holes have been just hammering us these last number of years. We dont look at this as much as I think we should - why? we dont understand it so what does man do - he usually disregards things he does not know. Just on emans opinion.

Even with solar activity low with sunspots the coronal holes spewing out vast particles that disrupt our pattern and settle into our atmosphere.
We need a massive volcano in the {PAC to go off, some inhabitant island and go 5 miles into teh atmosphere and we can then have ourselves a winter! (of ash and rocks!))

Yes, bring it on.

Most believe the winter of 93/94 was the direct result of the Mount Pinatubo eruption In June 1991. It takes a while for all that ash to do it's thing but that was one cold, snowy winter. NJ set their all time record low that winter of -34, I think in Sussex, and I've referenced many times here that was the only winter anywhere (and I've lived in Wisconsin for several years) where I experienced -23 degree weather, without the wind chill, right here in the Hudson Valley. It was great.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:34 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
amugs wrote:

Yes, bring it on.

Most believe the winter of 93/94 was the direct result of the Mount Pinatubo eruption In June 1991. It takes a while for all that ash to do it's thing but that was one cold, snowy winter. NJ set their all time record low that winter of -34, I think in Sussex, and I've referenced many times here that was the only winter anywhere (and I've lived in Wisconsin for several years) where I experienced -23 degree weather, without the wind chill, right here in the Hudson Valley. It was great.

That's interesting, because November of '89 was remarkably cold, colder than '14 was, and then December 25th of 2001 into the first week of January 2002 was incredibly cold. I wasn't alive in '89, but my parents were building their house where they live now in NE PA, and my dad said that for over two weeks they never even saw zero WITHOUT the wind during the days. He was hunting on the property with my grandfather, and that was the year that it was so cold when my grandfather shot his deer (he always managed to drop them right near water so he could wash up after removing the unwanted parts, to put it nicely) that once he finished, he went to grab his gun and his hand froze right to the gun. Had to walk back to the house and thaw it out by the wood stove lol Then, in the '01-'02 run, that was the coldest I have ever personally seen temperatures in that region, where lows were consistently -23° to -28° without wind. Highs stayed in the single digits, and the kicker with that was there was no snow cover. That was amazing. However, '93-'94 was the winter season that they had over 120" of snowfall up there. They said that they literally couldn't shovel anymore because the snowbanks were so high that they couldn't throw the snow high enough. Toward the middle of March of '94, there was an impending rain storm, and my dad got so scared that the roof would collapse he went up there for two whole days and shoveled the roof by hand (a 48'x28' house lends itself to having quite a bit of surface area on the roof lol). He tied himself off to trees with rope so that if he fell he wouldn't fall off, but when he got up there, the snow was chest deep......ON OUR ROOF. I wish I was older than I was for that winter "sigh".

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:40 pm

rb924119 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
amugs wrote:

Yes, bring it on.

That's interesting, because November of '89 was remarkably cold, colder than '14 was, and then December 25th of 2001 into the first week of January 2002 was incredibly cold. I wasn't alive in '89, but my parents were building their house where they live now in NE PA, and my dad said that for over two weeks they never even saw zero WITHOUT the wind during the days. He was hunting on the property with my grandfather, and that was the year that it was so cold when he shot his deer (he always managed to drop them right near water so he could wash up after removing the unwanted parts, to put it nicely) that once he finished, he went to grab his gun and his hand froze right to the gun. Had to walk back to the house and thaw it out by the wood stove lol Then, in the '01-'02 run, that was the coldest I have ever personally seen temperatures in that region, where lows were consistently -23° to -28° without wind. Highs stayed in the single digits, and the kicker with that was there was no snow cover. That was amazing.

RB I remmeber the 01-02 run very well. In the HV we experienced many -13 to -18 temperatures during that winter but personally I never recorded a -20 during that year, -18 was it. That's why the -23 in January 1994 is still the coldest I've seen, NE PA it may have been a bit chillier.

During the winter of 93/94 and 95/96 we also received over 100 inches of snow, 105 in 93/94 and 118 in 95/96, but 93/94 was colder. In both winters I literally lost parts of my driveway to the snow banks because it was even with my head after awhile, (I'm 6'2"), so shoveling became nearly impossible. Everyone in my neighborhood literally took their life in their hands when pulling out of the driveway because there was no way to see over the snow banks for any oncoming cars. Both seasons were heaven on Earth.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:25 pm

NYC has a good chance to be over 30 inches average snowfall per season, provided the 2010's don't end like the 1990's did, when they calculate the next 30 year average for 1991-2020. Right now the running average at Central Park for January 1991 through January 2017 is 30.5 inches per season. Imagine what it would be if they measured every inch of snow?

Here's the average snowfall per month at Central Park since January 1991 through January 2017.

October......0.1
November...0.3
December...5.1
January......9.2
February...11.1
March.........4.5
April...........0.2
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:05 pm

On the previous page, I have the CPK snowfall by decades using the 0-9 (i.e. 1970-79) approach rather than the 1-0 (i.e. 1971-1980) approach. Including last Tuesday's light snow, the 2010's decade has 286.0" of snow. IF CPK can get over 6" of snow, it would overtake both the 1990's and 1920's in terms of snowfall amounts. Of course, this does not take into account the fact that there were plenty of undercounts, especially during the 1995-96 winter. My gut feeling is that CPK will get more than 6" on Thursday, but the conservancy will measure 2.5". Similar situation to 2/5 last year.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:15 pm

With todays 1 pm 9.0 inch measurement in Central Park this now becomes the 86th storm since 1870 of 9 inches or more in NYC or approximately 3 every 5 years or so.

When the idiots, I mean the Conservancy, take or forget to take the next measurement at 4 pm we shall see if this becomes the 66th storm to reach or exceed 10 inches in Central Park. I'm betting they record nothing from 1 pm to 4 pm.

Edit note: So the Conservancy measured an additional 0.4 inches from 1-4 pm for a final total of 9.4 inches. Probably a little light at the end as always but for them a decent day.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:56 pm

With the 9.4" from CPK, it is now at 20.5" for the 2016-17 season (or C.P.K.S.S. CXLVIII; visit OTI for details)

As it stands, this is the 50th least snowiest season on record, and the 99th snowiest season on record.

And using the aforementioned 0-9 decadal system, as of now, the 2010's has 295.4" of snow, the most since the 1960's.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:59 pm

The stats below are for NYC, KNYC and represent the number of 10 inch or above, 6-9.9 inch and 6 inch or above snowfalls for each month since records have been kept the last 151 years. There have been 193 storms of 6 inches or above and 65 of 10 inches or above in this time frame.

Although December at 37, does have more 6 inch snowfalls then March (31), there have been more 6 inch snowfalls from March 1 forward (38) than in December.

No. of 10 + inch snows by Month
1…....November
12…..December
16…..January
25…..February
9…....March
2…....April
65….Total

No. of 6-10 inch snows by Month
4…......November
25…....December
32…....January
40…....February
22…....March
5…......April
128....Total

No. of 6 + inch snows by Month
5…......November
37…....December
48…....January
65…....February
31…....March
7…......April
193....Total

Here's the average snowfall per month at Central Park since January 1991 through January 2020, the period that the next 30 year averages will be calculated on. Right now its 30.3 inches, they need 12.9 more by December 31 to get a 30.0 inch average for the period.

October......0.1
November...0.5
December...4.9
January......8.7
February...10.5
March.........5.1
April...........0.4

Total......30.3

Last edited by CPcantmeasuresnow on Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:00 am; edited 4 times in total
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:18 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:I've been meaning to post this for awhile and since we haven't had a good snow storm in the area for at least 6 hours tonight's the night. The stats below are for NYC and represent the number of 10 inch or above, 6-10 inch and above 6 inch snowfalls for each month since records have been kept the last 148 years.

Todays 9.4 inches in Central Park  is the 189th 6 inch or above snowfall and the 65th such storm in the month of February. As you can plainly see from either of the 3 charts below, despite being the shortest month of the year and January on average being a colder month, for each category February is NYC's best month for significant snow storms.

Here's hoping we add a few more this month to February's record and the city of Red Sox Suck  lol!  lol! gets shut out. I had to try it Frank you are freaking hilarious.

1…....November
12…..December
16…..January
25…..February
9…....March
2…....April
65….Total

3…......November
25…....December
31…....January
40…....February
20…....March
5…......April
124....Total

4…......November
37…....December
47…....January
65…....February
29…....March
7…......April
189....Total

Awesome post CP

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Radz Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:48 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:I've been meaning to post this for awhile and since we haven't had a good snow storm in the area for at least 6 hours tonight's the night. The stats below are for NYC and represent the number of 10 inch or above, 6-10 inch and above 6 inch snowfalls for each month since records have been kept the last 148 years.

Todays 9.4 inches in Central Park  is the 189th 6 inch or above snowfall and the 65th such storm in the month of February. As you can plainly see from either of the 3 charts below, despite being the shortest month of the year and January on average being a colder month, for each category February is NYC's best month for significant snow storms.

Here's hoping we add a few more this month to February's record and the city of Red Sox Suck  lol!  lol! gets shut out. I had to try it Frank you are freaking hilarious.

1…....November
12…..December
16…..January
25…..February
9…....March
2…....April
65….Total

3…......November
25…....December
31…....January
40…....February
20…....March
5…......April
124....Total

4…......November
37…....December
47…....January
65…....February
29…....March
7…......April
189....Total

Awesome CP, thanks for sharing- great stats!
Radz
Radz
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:32 am

1…....November
12…..December
16…..January
25…..February
9…....March
2…....April
65….Total

3…......November
25…....December
31…....January
40…....February
20…....March
5…......April
124....Total

4…......November
37…....December
47…....January
65…....February
29…....March
7…......April
189....Total

CP, EXCELLENT WORK.I never have seen snowstorm types by month broken down this way! StatMan does it AGAIN!!!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:45 pm

To sort of piggyback off of CP's post, I thought I'd give a tiny picture of this area's weather with regards to major snowfall events, i.e. 10" or more in 24 hours.

Jan: 5 events: 1915,1925,1961,1966,1996
Feb: 5 events: 1910,1914,1940,1960,1961
Mar: 5 events: 1956,1993,1994,2001,2011
Apr-Aug: 0 events
Sep: 1 event: 1916
Oct: 0 events
Nov: 2 events: 1968,1995
Dec: 0 events

The records I got the site from only go back to 1909 and they're far from complete, but they show how the geography really prevents major snowfalls. As an interesting side note: Of the 18 events listed, 11 of those constituted more than 50% of that month's total snow fall.

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:49 pm

TheAresian wrote:To sort of piggyback off of CP's post, I thought I'd give a tiny picture of this area's weather with regards to major snowfall events, i.e. 10" or more in 24 hours.

Jan: 5 events: 1915,1925,1961,1966,1996
Feb: 5 events: 1910,1914,1940,1960,1961
Mar: 5 events: 1956,1993,1994,2001,2011
Apr-Aug: 0 events
Sep: 1 event: 1916
Oct: 0 events
Nov: 2 events: 1968,1995
Dec: 0 events

The records I got the site from only go back to 1909 and they're far from complete, but they show how the geography really prevents major snowfalls. As an interesting side note: Of the 18 events listed, 11 of those constituted more than 50% of that month's total snow fall.

Wow, tough area to live in for snow.Too far west for the coastals and not close enough for the lake effect.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:53 pm

Plus all of those Miller Bs that you guys get because of the Adirondacks.

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:33 pm

TheAresian wrote:Plus all of those Miller Bs that you guys get because of the Adirondacks.

You my Aresian friend are stuck in a very similar climate encountered throughout most of the Midwest with the exception to the portions of the Midwest around the Great Lakes or Upper plains. It's a cold climate in some areas but boring as hell storm wise. The so called blizzards they get in most of the Midwest are usually along the order of 4-8 inches of snow with high winds over the open plains that make visibility poor because of blowing snow more than anything else. Huge snow storms in most parts of the Midwest are pretty rare.

The example I often give is Minneapolis MN, obviously a place known for it's cold but has had only 5 snow storms 17 inches or greater since their record keeping began in the 1880's. Contrast that to NYC which has had 16 snow storms 17 inches or greater in roughly the same time period.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:05 am

Beantown began record keeping in 1891.  So I took all of the snow seasons from then and compared them with the CPK snow totals.  Not surprising, Beantown much more often than not outsnows NYC. So I put it onto excel and here it is in text format.  The columns are as follows: Snow Season, Beantown snow total, CPK snow total, the snow winner than season and the margin of victory.  Note that this omits nine out of 12 years between 1928 and 1940.  That's because according to the Taunton, MA website, there is missing data.

1891-1892 46.8 25.4 BOS 21.4
1892-1893 66.0 49.7 BOS 16.3
1893-1894 64.0 36.1 BOS 27.9
1894-1895 46.9 27.0 BOS 19.9
1895-1896 38.7 46.3 NYC 7.6
1896-1897 43.2 43.6 NYC 0.4
1897-1898 51.9 21.1 BOS 30.8
1898-1899 70.9 55.9 BOS 15.0
1899-1900 25.0 13.4 BOS 11.6
1900-1901 17.5 9.1 BOS 8.4
1901-1902 44.1 30.0 BOS 14.1
1902-1903 42.0 28.7 BOS 13.3
1903-1904 72.9 32.2 BOS 40.7
1904-1905 44.9 48.1 NYC 3.2
1905-1906 37.6 20.0 BOS 17.6
1906-1907 67.9 53.2 BOS 14.7
1907-1908 26.2 33.4 NYC 7.2
1908-1909 20.1 20.3 NYC 0.2
1909-1910 37.0 27.2 BOS 9.8
1910-1911 40.6 25.2 BOS 15.4
1911-1912 31.6 29.5 BOS 2.1
1912-1913 19.4 15.3 BOS 4.1
1913-1914 39.0 40.5 NYC 1.5
1914-1915 22.3 28.8 NYC 6.5
1915-1916 79.2 50.7 BOS 28.5
1916-1917 54.2 50.7 BOS 3.5
1917-1918 45.7 34.5 BOS 11.2
1918-1919 21.1 3.8 BOS 17.3
1919-1920 73.4 47.6 BOS 25.8
1920-1921 34.1 18.6 BOS 15.5
1921-1922 33.4 27.8 BOS 5.6
1922-1923 65.9 60.4 BOS 5.5
1923-1924 29.8 27.5 BOS 2.3
1924-1925 21.4 29.6 NYC 8.2
1925-1926 38.0 32.4 BOS 5.6
1926-1927 41.1 22.3 BOS 18.8
1927-1928 20.8 14.5 BOS 6.3
1932-1933 40.6 27.0 BOS 13.6
1933-1934 62.7 52.0 BOS 10.7
1936-1937 9.0 15.6 NYC 6.6
1940-1941 47.8 39.0 BOS 8.8
1941-1942 23.9 11.3 BOS 12.6
1942-1943 45.7 29.5 BOS 16.2
1943-1944 27.7 23.8 BOS 3.9
1944-1945 59.2 27.1 BOS 32.1
1945-1946 50.8 31.4 BOS 19.4
1946-1947 19.4 30.6 NYC 11.2
1947-1948 89.2 63.2 BOS 26.0
1948-1949 37.1 46.6 NYC 9.5
1949-1950 32.0 13.8 BOS 18.2
1950-1951 29.7 11.6 BOS 18.1
1951-1952 31.9 19.7 BOS 12.2
1952-1953 29.8 15.1 BOS 14.7
1953-1954 23.6 15.8 BOS 7.8
1954-1955 25.1 11.5 BOS 13.6
1955-1956 60.9 33.5 BOS 27.4
1956-1957 52.0 21.9 BOS 30.1
1957-1958 44.7 44.7 TIE 0.0
1958-1959 34.1 13.0 BOS 21.1
1959-1960 40.9 39.2 BOS 1.7
1960-1961 61.5 54.7 BOS 6.8
1961-1962 44.7 18.1 BOS 26.6
1962-1963 30.9 16.3 BOS 14.6
1963-1964 63.0 44.7 BOS 18.3
1964-1965 50.4 24.4 BOS 26.0
1965-1966 44.1 21.4 BOS 22.7
1966-1967 60.1 51.5 BOS 8.6
1967-1968 44.8 19.5 BOS 25.3
1968-1969 53.8 30.2 BOS 23.6
1969-1970 48.8 25.6 BOS 23.2
1970-1971 57.3 15.5 BOS 41.8
1971-1972 47.5 22.9 BOS 24.6
1972-1973 10.3 2.8 BOS 7.5
1973-1974 36.9 23.5 BOS 13.4
1974-1975 27.6 13.1 BOS 14.5
1975-1976 46.6 17.3 BOS 29.3
1976-1977 58.5 24.5 BOS 34.0
1977-1978 85.1 50.7 BOS 34.4
1978-1979 27.5 29.4 NYC 1.9
1979-1980 12.5 12.8 NYC 0.3
1980-1981 22.3 19.4 BOS 2.9
1981-1982 61.8 24.6 BOS 37.2
1982-1983 32.7 27.2 BOS 5.5
1983-1984 43.0 25.4 BOS 17.6
1984-1985 26.6 24.1 BOS 2.5
1985-1986 18.1 13.0 BOS 5.1
1986-1987 42.5 23.1 BOS 19.4
1987-1988 52.6 19.1 BOS 33.5
1988-1989 15.5 8.1 BOS 7.4
1989-1990 39.2 13.4 BOS 25.8
1990-1991 19.1 24.9 NYC 5.8
1991-1992 22.0 12.6 BOS 9.4
1992-1993 83.9 24.5 BOS 59.4
1993-1994 96.3 53.4 BOS 42.9
1994-1995 14.9 11.8 BOS 3.1
1995-1996 107.6 75.6 BOS 32.0
1996-1997 51.9 10.0 BOS 41.9
1997-1998 25.6 5.5 BOS 20.1
1998-1999 36.4 12.7 BOS 23.7
1999-2000 24.4 16.3 BOS 8.1
2000-2001 45.9 35.0 BOS 10.9
2001-2002 15.1 3.5 BOS 11.6
2002-2003 70.9 49.3 BOS 21.6
2003-2004 39.4 42.6 NYC 3.2
2004-2005 86.6 41.0 BOS 45.6
2005-2006 39.9 40.0 NYC 0.1
2006-2007 17.1 12.4 BOS 4.7
2007-2008 51.2 11.9 BOS 39.3
2008-2009 65.9 27.6 BOS 38.3
2009-2010 35.7 51.4 NYC 15.7
2010-2011 81.0 61.9 BOS 19.1
2011-2012 9.3 7.4 BOS 1.9
2012-2013 63.4 26.1 BOS 37.3
2013-2014 58.9 57.4 BOS 1.5
2014-2015 110.6 50.3 BOS 60.3
2015-2016 36.1 32.8 BOS 3.3

So out of these 116 snow seasons shown, only 17 times out of 116 had NYC beaten Beantown, or about 14.7% of the time.  And given how things are shaping up, Beantown may score another win for 2016-17.  Not since 2009-10 has NYC scored a W.

Please note that I am using Beantown instead of the city's proper name because I don't want any terms changed.  Just know that the first three letters of the actual name are in the table in seasons where they scored a W, which is about 84.5% of the time...

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:02 am

Math23x7 wrote:Beantown began record keeping in 1891.  So I took all of the snow seasons from then and compared them with the CPK snow totals.  Not surprising, Beantown much more often than not outsnows NYC. So I put it onto excel and here it is in text format.  The columns are as follows: Snow Season, Beantown snow total, CPK snow total, the snow winner than season and the margin of victory.  Note that this omits nine out of 12 years between 1928 and 1940.  That's because according to the Taunton, MA website, there is missing data.

1891-1892 46.8 25.4 BOS 21.4
1892-1893 66.0 49.7 BOS 16.3
1893-1894 64.0 36.1 BOS 27.9
1894-1895 46.9 27.0 BOS 19.9
1895-1896 38.7 46.3 NYC 7.6
1896-1897 43.2 43.6 NYC 0.4
1897-1898 51.9 21.1 BOS 30.8
1898-1899 70.9 55.9 BOS 15.0
1899-1900 25.0 13.4 BOS 11.6
1900-1901 17.5 9.1 BOS 8.4
1901-1902 44.1 30.0 BOS 14.1
1902-1903 42.0 28.7 BOS 13.3
1903-1904 72.9 32.2 BOS 40.7
1904-1905 44.9 48.1 NYC 3.2
1905-1906 37.6 20.0 BOS 17.6
1906-1907 67.9 53.2 BOS 14.7
1907-1908 26.2 33.4 NYC 7.2
1908-1909 20.1 20.3 NYC 0.2
1909-1910 37.0 27.2 BOS 9.8
1910-1911 40.6 25.2 BOS 15.4
1911-1912 31.6 29.5 BOS 2.1
1912-1913 19.4 15.3 BOS 4.1
1913-1914 39.0 40.5 NYC 1.5
1914-1915 22.3 28.8 NYC 6.5
1915-1916 79.2 50.7 BOS 28.5
1916-1917 54.2 50.7 BOS 3.5
1917-1918 45.7 34.5 BOS 11.2
1918-1919 21.1 3.8 BOS 17.3
1919-1920 73.4 47.6 BOS 25.8
1920-1921 34.1 18.6 BOS 15.5
1921-1922 33.4 27.8 BOS 5.6
1922-1923 65.9 60.4 BOS 5.5
1923-1924 29.8 27.5 BOS 2.3
1924-1925 21.4 29.6 NYC 8.2
1925-1926 38.0 32.4 BOS 5.6
1926-1927 41.1 22.3 BOS 18.8
1927-1928 20.8 14.5 BOS 6.3
1932-1933 40.6 27.0 BOS 13.6
1933-1934 62.7 52.0 BOS 10.7
1936-1937 9.0 15.6 NYC 6.6
1940-1941 47.8 39.0 BOS 8.8
1941-1942 23.9 11.3 BOS 12.6
1942-1943 45.7 29.5 BOS 16.2
1943-1944 27.7 23.8 BOS 3.9
1944-1945 59.2 27.1 BOS 32.1
1945-1946 50.8 31.4 BOS 19.4
1946-1947 19.4 30.6 NYC 11.2
1947-1948 89.2 63.2 BOS 26.0
1948-1949 37.1 46.6 NYC 9.5
1949-1950 32.0 13.8 BOS 18.2
1950-1951 29.7 11.6 BOS 18.1
1951-1952 31.9 19.7 BOS 12.2
1952-1953 29.8 15.1 BOS 14.7
1953-1954 23.6 15.8 BOS 7.8
1954-1955 25.1 11.5 BOS 13.6
1955-1956 60.9 33.5 BOS 27.4
1956-1957 52.0 21.9 BOS 30.1
1957-1958 44.7 44.7 TIE 0.0
1958-1959 34.1 13.0 BOS 21.1
1959-1960 40.9 39.2 BOS 1.7
1960-1961 61.5 54.7 BOS 6.8
1961-1962 44.7 18.1 BOS 26.6
1962-1963 30.9 16.3 BOS 14.6
1963-1964 63.0 44.7 BOS 18.3
1964-1965 50.4 24.4 BOS 26.0
1965-1966 44.1 21.4 BOS 22.7
1966-1967 60.1 51.5 BOS 8.6
1967-1968 44.8 19.5 BOS 25.3
1968-1969 53.8 30.2 BOS 23.6
1969-1970 48.8 25.6 BOS 23.2
1970-1971 57.3 15.5 BOS 41.8
1971-1972 47.5 22.9 BOS 24.6
1972-1973 10.3 2.8 BOS 7.5
1973-1974 36.9 23.5 BOS 13.4
1974-1975 27.6 13.1 BOS 14.5
1975-1976 46.6 17.3 BOS 29.3
1976-1977 58.5 24.5 BOS 34.0
1977-1978 85.1 50.7 BOS 34.4
1978-1979 27.5 29.4 NYC 1.9
1979-1980 12.5 12.8 NYC 0.3
1980-1981 22.3 19.4 BOS 2.9
1981-1982 61.8 24.6 BOS 37.2
1982-1983 32.7 27.2 BOS 5.5
1983-1984 43.0 25.4 BOS 17.6
1984-1985 26.6 24.1 BOS 2.5
1985-1986 18.1 13.0 BOS 5.1
1986-1987 42.5 23.1 BOS 19.4
1987-1988 52.6 19.1 BOS 33.5
1988-1989 15.5 8.1 BOS 7.4
1989-1990 39.2 13.4 BOS 25.8
1990-1991 19.1 24.9 NYC 5.8
1991-1992 22.0 12.6 BOS 9.4
1992-1993 83.9 24.5 BOS 59.4
1993-1994 96.3 53.4 BOS 42.9
1994-1995 14.9 11.8 BOS 3.1
1995-1996 107.6 75.6 BOS 32.0
1996-1997 51.9 10.0 BOS 41.9
1997-1998 25.6 5.5 BOS 20.1
1998-1999 36.4 12.7 BOS 23.7
1999-2000 24.4 16.3 BOS 8.1
2000-2001 45.9 35.0 BOS 10.9
2001-2002 15.1 3.5 BOS 11.6
2002-2003 70.9 49.3 BOS 21.6
2003-2004 39.4 42.6 NYC 3.2
2004-2005 86.6 41.0 BOS 45.6
2005-2006 39.9 40.0 NYC 0.1
2006-2007 17.1 12.4 BOS 4.7
2007-2008 51.2 11.9 BOS 39.3
2008-2009 65.9 27.6 BOS 38.3
2009-2010 35.7 51.4 NYC 15.7
2010-2011 81.0 61.9 BOS 19.1
2011-2012 9.3 7.4 BOS 1.9
2012-2013 63.4 26.1 BOS 37.3
2013-2014 58.9 57.4 BOS 1.5
2014-2015 110.6 50.3 BOS 60.3
2015-2016 36.1 32.8 BOS 3.3

So out of these 116 snow seasons shown, only 17 times out of 116 had NYC beaten Beantown, or about 14.7% of the time.  And given how things are shaping up, Beantown may score another win for 2016-17.  Not since 2009-10 has NYC scored a W.

Please note that I am using Beantown instead of the city's proper name because I don't want any terms changed.  Just know that the first three letters of the actual name are in the table in seasons where they scored a W, which is about 84.5% of the time...

It's the geography.They are much better positioned for Miller B's( I friggin'HATE Miller B's) and also further north for colder air.Nothing we can do here about that.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:43 am

Red Sox Suck of course would beat NYC most years just because of their latitude so it's not even a fair fight, however if you took a location in the HV like New Paltz that averages 55 inches a year they would whip Red Sox Suck ass more often than not. Red Sox Suck also loses out on many snow events because they sit right on the water. People tend to have an exaggerated view of their average snowfall per season because they have had a few epic years recently.

The average snowfall per season is 43.8 in Red Sox Suck using the 30 year average from 1981-2010, the HV average is around 50 per season at a lower latitude with the average winter temperatures colder here because of the distance from the warming influence of the ocean.So let's stop romanticizing Red Sox Suck winters of course they would beat NYC most winters but most place north and west of NYC they would lose to in an average year.

And yes I kept writing the word B o s t o n on purpose knowing it would change to Red Sox Suck because I love the change Frank made. Thanks again Frank.

Red Sox Suck
Red Sox Suck
Red Sox Suck
Red Sox Suck
Red Sox Suck

Last edited by CPcantmeasuresnow on Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:19 am; edited 2 times in total
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:51 am

CP, I'm kinda getting the idea you think Red Sox Suck,lol.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:10 am

The average high and low temperatures for February 17th posted below will give everybody an idea of how unseasonably warm our winters continue to be. The historical averages for February 17th are 3-4 degrees higher than the normal January averages.

As of today February is already 2-3 degrees above normal area wide for the month , factor in the torch for the next 10 days and we will easily end up 6-8 degrees above normal again.

This will mark the 20th consecutive month of above normal temperatures. I know the climate has gotten much warmer in just the 45 or so years I've been observing but this streak is ridiculous.

NYC......................42/29
Newark..................43/27
LI/Islip...................40/25
Bridgeport CT........40/25
HV/Poughkeepsie....40/18
Binghamton...........32/17
Albany...................35/17
Hartford CT............39/21
NE PA/Scranton......37/21
CNJ/Trenton...........42/26
SNJ/Atlantic City.....44/26

One interesting thing to observe from the above normal temperatures for this date, is even though NYC is located north or close to the same latitude as many of these locations it still has the highest average temperature due IMO to the tremendous UHI effect. For the most part this keeps their low temperatures from falling as low as most locations within a 75 mile radius no matter what direction these places are from the city.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:32 pm

Last edited by CPcantmeasuresnow on Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum