NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wx Banter Thread 2.0

+52
WeatherBob
essexcountypete
NjWeatherGuy
moleson
lisalamb
lglickman1
GreyBeard
bloc1357
crippo84
SnowForest
Carter bk
jake732
sabamfa
SENJsnowman
MattyICE
SoulSingMG
hyde345
billg315
cooladi
Wheezer
Radz
skinsfan1177
Dunnzoo
Scullybutcher
Dtone
jimv45
CPcantmeasuresnow
RJB8525
Mathgod55
EnyapWeather
Quietace
jwalsh
brownie
Vinnydula
Grselig
mikeypizano
HectorO
gigs68
Math23x7
jmanley32
track17
rb924119
Frank_Wx
frank 638
sroc4
aiannone
weatherwatchermom
algae888
dkodgis
docstox12
amugs
nutleyblizzard
56 posters

Page 27 of 41 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 34 ... 41  Next

Go down

Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 27 Empty Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by HectorO Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:47 am

dkodgis wrote:My 10 year old daughter heard about Taylor's passing and made an observation that I thought was insightful for her age. It comes down to sadness that things happen and why do they happen.  Smart girl.  And now, onto weather banter.

A friend of mine three hours away observed and remarked on what I had noticed this summer. At the bird feeder, birds were eating to beat the band. I put out so much seed, I was shocked. This was way different from other years. And then came the cold weather.  So I am beginning to think I am getting screwy, superstitious, adding 2+2 and getting 5.  Whatever the reality, this winter I have seen birds that I usually do not see at the feeder.  Boatloads of cardinals and bluebirds are examples. If I saw a bluebird or two a season, that was it. Now I see  four to six and surprisingly, bluebirds and cardinals are on the feeders together. When the blue jays are there, they dominate. Otherwise they are sharing the same feeders at the same time.  Surprising to me to see finches and cardinals together on the perches. Even a palliated woodpecker is showing up with regularity. I thought they only ate insects.  My uninformed position: birds sensed cold was coming and bulked up.  They have kept coming, more than usual, and my restaurant has caught on among the bird set.  And the cold is returning.  

Birds, like any creature adapt to different temperatures. If you took a drive down Edgewater New Jersey you would see monk parakeets flying around. No one still knows how they got here. Some people say a truck delivery lost a few, other say some escaped from local store. But you can see their enormous nests that they build next to utility poles, and if you look over head you'll see tropical birds flying around in New Jersey in the middle of winter.

HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:18 pm

Next Saturdays fantasy map. And a fantasy it will most likely stay. As always it is fun to dream.

Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 27 Feb_3_10

CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:35 pm

Here it is in more detail

Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 27 Cmc_sn10

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:34 pm

CP, I am a dreamer!
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:51 pm

00z runs follw suite, CMC a bit less but still a godzilla.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:08 am

Frank Starting two threads this mornings = WOW!!!!!!!!!

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:22 am

I'm about a week away from writing this winter off for my area. The precip numbers look great, but it's been almost all rain. Even with the one decent (5.5") snowfall, I don't think we've topped a foot here yet. It's disheartening.

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:39 am

TheAresian wrote:I'm about a week away from writing this winter off for my area. The precip numbers look great, but it's been almost all rain. Even with the one decent (5.5") snowfall, I don't think we've topped a foot here yet. It's disheartening.

Yeah, I agree. Seems like every decent snow is on the coast. I've got about 8 inches this year. Hopefully things change. Just one nice storm is all I ask for.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:37 pm

The 12Z EURO wasn't thrilled with either system featured in Frank's two threads. It shows mainly rain from them.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:14 pm

TheAresian wrote:I'm about a week away from writing this winter off for my area. The precip numbers look great, but it's been almost all rain. Even with the one decent (5.5") snowfall, I don't think we've topped a foot here yet. It's disheartening.

Don't take the plunge, Aresian!!! BACK AWAY FROM THE LEDGE. I REPEAT: BACK AWAY FROM THE LEDGE. We are about to enter what I think will be our collectively most auspicious period which will then last right through March. Trust the process, my friend, and have faith Smile

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:45 am

I don’t know rb. I think Frank May have to change the scroll and definitely the SCI. nooooo

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:22 pm

I was thinking the same, especially when looking at the forecast, there doesn't seem to be any long sustained cold snap like we had earlier in January. Temps look to be hovering around normal to even above normal. This is a short month as it is and I don't see March having a big cold snap if February bombs out. Old man winter gave it his all in December and then again in Late December into early March. He did too much too soon lol, and even with the cold snap we had there was no moisture really.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:29 pm

HectorO wrote:

I was thinking the same, especially when looking at the forecast, there doesn't seem to be any long sustained cold snap like we had earlier in January. Temps look to be hovering around normal to even above normal. This is a short month as it is and I don't see March having a big cold snap if February bombs out. Old man winter gave it his all in December and then again in Late December into early March. He did too much too soon lol, and even with the cold snap we had there was no moisture really.

Mike the Warmacist wins.

Maybe it's time to recognize him as a great prophet and not shun him as if he were a leper.

As REM sang,

It's the end of the winter as we know it,  
It's the end of the winter as we know it
and I feel fine.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-adk-adk_sbnt&hsimp=yhs-adk_sbnt&hspart=adk&p=rem+its+the+end+of+the+world#id=1&vid=0b7af7a610d68280efd76ba54286c38a&action=click
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:33 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
HectorO wrote:

Mike the Warmacist wins.

Maybe it's time to recognize him as a great prophet and not shun him as if he were a leper.

As REM sang,

and I feel fine.
Well CP maybe for the Inland areas it hasn't been quite the winter yet but I think you guys are going to score big in the next several weeks. This has been a very good winter for me I'm five inches below season Norm.with six weeks left I'm sure I'll see more snow they may be snow to rain scenarios but definitely will see more snow still have 6 solid weeks left. For most of this forum this is anything but a subpar winter. And I should also add throw in the Epic 3 week cold snap which rivaled all others and the early start to Winter really have very little complaining to do but I guess you can't please everybody
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:38 pm

algae888 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
HectorO wrote:

Mike the Warmacist wins.

As REM sang,

and I feel fine.
Well CP maybe for the Inland areas it hasn't been quite the winter yet but I think you guys are going to score big in the next several weeks. This has been a very good winter for me I'm five inches below season Norm.with six weeks left I'm sure I'll see more snow they may be snow to rain scenarios but definitely will see more snow still have 6 solid weeks left. For most of this forum this is anything but a subpar winter. And I should also add throw in the Epic 3 week cold snap which rivaled all others and the early start to Winter really have very little complaining to do but I guess you can't please everybody

Needed to vent for a minute Al that's what the banter thread is all about. This winter has been ok so far temperatures about a degree or two below normal but with a thaw that lasted way to long in my book. February and March will make or break this winters grade.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:45 pm

CP, Al has a great point! March is OUR month in the HV , just like November when the Shore and LI crew gets the shaft.Remember the March blizzard last year and those Novembers we had 8 or 9 inches around Thanksgiving and they got very little.Even though we are behind right now , we DID have a White Christmas last year , not a measly "coating" an actual few inches of snow!!! Look at your snow stats in your profile, 65 plus inches there.We alway do very well.I feel sorry for Mugsy and Janet and where I used to live.They are too far west for the big shore and LI snows and they are too far south and lower in elevation to cash in like we do.

End of the WINTER....... NEVER!! We shall NEVER surrender!!! An excerpt from one of my top ten men who ever lived!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WICUrFbb3b0
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by crippo84 Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:19 pm

In all honesty (and ignorance lol) if you're looking for snow do you want a sustained cold snap such as the one we had in late December / early January?  Large surges of arctic air like that tend to suppress major storm threats. I understand smaller events can happen and guarantee all snow (and high ratio at that), but if we want a big storm to occur we want the cold air at least to our north which can be drawn upon from a strong storm riding up the coast.  Otherwise, as we've seen, we're looking at bitter cold and dry conditions with arctic cold snaps.  Hovering around normal seems ideal to me for big snow potential...
crippo84
crippo84

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:54 am

@SYO saying he is being pessimistic for FEB - really he is being a pessimist?? LOL
@RAY I trust your genius meteorological skills here and will be leaning on cause I am having hard time making heads of this tails signal with teh convection off the freakin charts with the MJO out in phase 6 and the LOW AAM at this point.
What seemed to be bookened storms for this weekend have become non events in my book. Not looking at OP's but 500mb maps and ens guidance.

DEEP THUNDER

Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 27 DVCIHgLU8AAq1R_

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:37 am

crippo84 wrote:In all honesty (and ignorance lol) if you're looking for snow do you want a sustained cold snap such as the one we had in late December / early January?  Large surges of arctic air like that tend to suppress major storm threats. I understand smaller events can happen and guarantee all snow (and high ratio at that), but if we want a big storm to occur we want the cold air at least to our north which can be drawn upon from a strong storm riding up the coast.  Otherwise, as we've seen, we're looking at bitter cold and dry conditions with arctic cold snaps.  Hovering around normal seems ideal to me for big snow potential...

True, but I rather have a constant few inches pile up per storm with constant events, than one big storm of 18 inches that becomes 8-10 inches over the next 24 hours because the temp shoots back up to 50.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:47 pm

Im only interested in intense storms nuissance storms are not at all interesting to me. But that's me. And it appears these chances are or already have dwindled for the year.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:29 pm

jmanley32 wrote:Im only interested in intense storms nuissance storms are not at all interesting to me. But that's me. And it appears these chances are or already have dwindled for the year.

Jman, it's a funny thing you mentioned this.Before I joined the Channel 7 Board years ago, I would not even pay attention to any predicted storm less than 12 inches.By then I had seen hundreds of small storms under 12 inches.Now that I am on the board, ANY snow is interesting because of the observations coming in over our wide NJ Strong area.Of course, situations like the Boxing Day Blizzard was amazing on the board and I hope we can get an area wide one this winter over 18 inches.(Sorry to keep repeating that,LOL).
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:53 pm

You know what people.  The more I check in here, the more I post, the more I learn, the more I realize one thing and those of you who have seen my posts for 5 years now have heard this before.........the old Italians I know who always yell at me to stop watching and talking about the weather know best.  The6 say wake up in the morning, look outside and you’ll know the weather. And you know what they are right.  The blizzard this year I got 15” I was forecast a few hours before for 4-6”.  The other day 1-2” and we got 4”. Scott got 8”.  Today 2-3” and treacherous travel and I got nothing.  All this forecasting and posting is useless.  I’ll continue to do it because i am an idiot, but it all means nothing. No offense meant to anyone.  

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:00 pm

Orange County Othelia, our local ground hog, saw her shadow today and succumbed to a heart ailment about an hour ago.

According to folklore up here, if the ground hog dies the same day as seeing her shadow there will be 10 more weeks of an apocalyptic like winter. Massive blizzards and cold through mid April.

Lets hope the old legend is true, it's the first time it will be tested.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:01 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:Orange Countys ground hog Othelia, saw her shadow today and succumbed to a heart ailment about an hour ago.

According to folklore up here, if the ground hog dies the same day as seeing her shadow there will be 10 more weeks of an apocalyptic like winter. Massive blizzards and cold through mid April.

Is that blizzard centered around Orange County?  Because this may spell mixing/rain issues on the coast Evil or Very Mad

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:06 pm

sroc4 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:Orange Countys ground hog Othelia, saw her shadow today and succumbed to a heart ailment about an hour ago.

Is that blizzard centered around Orange County?  Because this may spell mixing/rain issues on the coast Evil or Very Mad

The same folklore states all of LI will join in the fun except an area centered around Syosett which I believe went by another name at the time (this legend dates from the mid 1700's). Amazing that they were that specific.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:24 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
sroc4 wrote:

The same folklore states all of LI will join in the fun except an area centered around Syosett which I believe went by another name at the time (this legend dates from the mid 1700's). Amazing that they were that specific.

As a human being in 2018 in the USA I feel threatened. You have triggered me and violated my weather safe space. I’m going to find some other Syosset residents and we are going to march on Washington in protest. Maybe even riot. This is unacceptable. I’d like to notify an administrator about this verbal assault. Anyone know one?

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:04 pm

syosnow94 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
sroc4 wrote:

As a human being in 2018 in the USA I feel threatened.  You have triggered me and violated my weather safe space.  I’m going to find some other Syosset residents and we are going to march on Washington in protest.  Maybe even riot.  This is unacceptable.  I’d like to notify an administrator about this verbal assault.  Anyone know one?

I never mentioned anyone by name, I just referenced old folklore from the legend of Orange County Ophelia. Docs lived up here long enough, I'm sure he's heard the tale. Let's all just hope it's true.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 41 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 34 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum