NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banter Thread 5.0

+46
Elmer J Fudd, Billionaire
Bkdude
algae888
Irish
toople
jaydoy
richb521
crippo84
phil155
Judy Margolis
bloc1357
oldtimer
jimv45
Artechmetals
Scullybutcher
bobjohnsonforthehall
Taffy
SENJsnowman
CPcantmeasuresnow
Vinnydula
skinsfan1177
aiannone
weatherwatchermom
SoulSingMG
sroc4
sabamfa
Math23x7
frank 638
Radz
essexcountypete
Dunnzoo
GreyBeard
heehaw453
Quietace
jmanley32
nutleyblizzard
dkodgis
docstox12
billg315
HectorO
Grselig
amugs
mwilli
mikeypizano
brownie
Frank_Wx
50 posters

Page 27 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 27 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by amugs Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:51 pm

All that digital snow is killing my back!!
Tropical Tidbit maps include sleet and freezing rain into their totals.
I believe they are 3 or 4:1 ratios.
ZR I have no idea what they do for their algorithms.
Funny how the GFS was always as warm biased model. Now it shows blizzards, monster storms and feet of snow totals and has been right when for this area??? But if it shows a cutter it will be right. Amazing.

amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:04 pm

The fat lady sang. Frank taking down the snow confidence index is all I need to know. Onto thunderstorms and hurricanes lol. Unless I missed st I haven't read today's posts. And heehaw lol at that gfs map 0% chance of any of that.

jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:23 pm

jmanley32 wrote:The fat lady sang. Frank taking down the snow confidence index is all I need to know. Onto thunderstorms and hurricanes lol. Unless I missed st I haven't read today's posts. And heehaw lol at that gfs map 0% chance of any of that.

LOL. What about if we subtract 50% for sleet? Still taking the under?

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:28 pm

If we totally whiff this Sunday, then I think it's time recharge the batteries. I will of course come back if anything interesting pops up.

Can never count out a fortuitous event, but I'd just have to see something at closer range. It's been a while since I've closed up shop before March 1. It's occurred before, but just kind of rare.

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by phil155 Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:38 pm

I will still take the under with the way the pattern has been thus far and if there is a change in pattern I would still take it at a 25% reduction

phil155
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by essexcountypete Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:37 pm

My daffodils are now about 5-6" out of the ground. But they are as good at predicting winter as the groundhogs.

In 2002 they bloomed in February, and I believe it was mid February, and part of one of the more significant warm spells in the historical record if I'm not mistaken.
essexcountypete
essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Bkdude Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:00 pm

essexcountypete wrote:My daffodils are now about 5-6" out of the ground. But they are as good at predicting winter as the groundhogs.

In 2002 they bloomed in February, and I believe it was mid February, and part of one of the more significant warm spells in the historic
al record if I'm not mistaken.

So in other words that is the death knell for the rest of any winter weather??

Bkdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Bkdude Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:05 pm

Very sad

Bkdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Bkdude Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:06 pm

Another sign is frank rarely posting

Bkdude

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:11 pm

Bkdude wrote:
essexcountypete wrote:My daffodils are now about 5-6" out of the ground. But they are as good at predicting winter as the groundhogs.

In 2002 they bloomed in February, and I believe it was mid February, and part of one of the more significant warm spells in the historic

A few years ago, I was out walking in February with temps near 70 and tree leaves coming out.That March I had 27 inches of snow.
Remember the story of the March Blizzard of 1888? A few days before the storm, people were in Central Park sunning themselves with temps in the 60's and a few days later , that Blizzard blasted this area.
Too early to give up.It's a long haul from April to November without any chance for snow so I am holding fast here.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Bkdude Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:16 pm

Right, so doc. It means nothing a few flowers coming up? That doesn't mean from that point April weather?

Bkdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Bkdude Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:16 pm

Thats what I worry about

Bkdude

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:21 pm

Bkdude wrote:Right, so doc. It means nothing a few flowers coming up? That doesn't mean from that point April weather?

Bkdude, those flowers could be covered in a foot of snow fast.

Just my personality, I'm a glass half full guy.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Bkdude Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:22 pm

docstox12 wrote:
Bkdude wrote:Right, so doc. It means nothing a few flowers coming up? That doesn't mean from that point April weather?

Bkdude, those flowers could be covered in a foot of snow fast.

Just my personality, I'm a glass half full guy.

Doc that's greeat! I hope!! 😀😀😀

Bkdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:13 pm

docstox12 wrote:
Bkdude wrote:

A few years ago, I was out walking in February with temps near 70 and tree leaves coming out.That March I had 27 inches of snow.
Remember the story of the March Blizzard of 1888? A few days before the storm, people were in Central Park sunning themselves with temps in the 60's and a few days later , that Blizzard blasted this area.
Too early to give up.It's a long haul from April to November without any chance for snow so I am holding fast here.

Doc,
You are, I believe, a very intelligent individual. You seem to have done well in life and earned a PHD in stox.  Clearly a person to admire.  So why would you bring up 1888 (a classic year) in such a bear winter.  Surly one would not purchase orange futures at a high price and want to sell low (Yes, I saw Trading Places). So why would you be betting on an 1888 storm this year.   Maybe your insights are correct and you see snow as value, buying low while the fools sell low, and you collect a handsome ice profit next month.  But the evidence does not show that. I'd settle for a run of the mill 8 inch storm and be thrilled!
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:37 pm

Grselig wrote:
docstox12 wrote:
Bkdude wrote:

:

Doc,
You are, I believe, a very intelligent individual. You seem to have done well in life and earned a PHD in stox.  Clearly a person to admire.  So why would you bring up 1888 (a classic year) in such a bear winter.  Surly one would not purchase orange futures at a high price and want to sell low (Yes, I saw Trading Places). So why would you be betting on an 1888 storm this year.   Maybe your insights are correct and you see snow as value, buying low while the fools sell low, and you collect a handsome ice profit next month.  But the evidence does not show that. I'd settle for a run of the mill 8 inch storm and be thrilled!

lol! lol! lol!

Let's hope March produces or I will have to exile myself with my "hopium".
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:45 pm

A couple of things.

Heehaw I reiterate what Grse said earlier and thank you for all of your posts despite the miserable pattern.

Doc the winter of 1887/88 was actually a fairly cold one for December through February, there was just the couple of days before the blizzard in March that were mild. March 1888 is not just known for the Blizzard but it’s the coldest March ever recorded in NYC. The average temperature for the month was 29.9°. So far our December and January have been 8-10 degrees warmer than March 1888.

Third these are desperate times and we need a scapegoat. Mikey P has been posting for several years now about his wishes for an early spring and mild February’s and March. He should be suspended from the forum for February and March and be metaphorically tarred and feathered.

Last edited by CPcantmeasuresnow on Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:47 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:A couple of things.

Heehaw I reiterate what Grea said earlier and thank you for all of your posts despite the miserable pattern.

Doc the winter of 1887/88 was actually a fairly cold one December through February there was just the couple of days before the blizzard that were mild. March 1888 is not just known for the Blizzard but it’s the coldest March ever recorded in NYC. The average temperature for the month was 29.9 degrees. So far our December and January have been 8-10 degrees warmer than March 1888.

Third these are desperate times and we nee a scapegoat. Mikey P has been posting for several years now about his wishes for an early spring and mild February’s and March. He should be suspended from the forum for February and March and be metaphorically tarred and feathered.

1888 is never going to happen again, welcome to reality. Early spring is coming. Get the mower ready!
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:55 pm

mikeypizano wrote:

Heehaw I reiterate what Grea said earlier and thank you for all of your posts despite the miserable pattern.

Doc the winter of 1887/88 was actually a fairly cold one December through February there was just the couple of days before the blizzard that were mild. March 1888 is not just known for the Blizzard but it’s the coldest March ever recorded in NYC. The average temperature for the month was 29.9 degrees. So far our December and January have been 8-10 degrees warmer than March 1888.

Third these are desperate times and we nee a scapegoat. Mikey P has been posting for several years now about his wishes for an early spring and mild February’s and March. He should be suspended from the forum for February and March and be metaphorically tarred and feathered.

1888 is never going to happen again, welcome to reality. Early spring is coming. Get the mower ready!

Well that was my point, my former OTI brother.

There is no analog to this year and the winter of 1887/88. As I stated the December through February of 1887/88 was cold with normal snowfall, nothing like the tropical winter we have been enduring since December 22.

And you my friend brought on this God awful winter with your posts, there is no other logical explanation.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:06 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
mikeypizano wrote:

There is no analog to this year and the winter of 1887/88. As I stated the December through February of 1887/88 was cold with normal snowfall, nothing like the tropical winter we have been enduring since December 22.

And you my friend brought on this God awful winter with your posts, there is no other logical explanation.

*sniff sniff* Smells like spring is coming!
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:11 pm

Heehaw I reiterate what Grse said earlier and thank you for all of your posts despite the miserable pattern.

Doc the winter of 1887/88 was actually a fairly cold one for December through February, there was just the couple of days before the blizzard in March that were mild. March 1888 is not just known for the Blizzard but it’s the coldest March ever recorded in NYC. The average temperature for the month was 29.9°. So far our December and January have been 8-10 degrees warmer than March 1888.

Third these are desperate times and we need a scapegoat. Mikey P has been posting for several years now about his wishes for an early spring and mild February’s and March. He should be suspended from the forum for February and March and be metaphorically tarred and feathered.

I think Isotherm should be tarred and feathered for issuing that awful long term forecast!
Only joking , Isotherm. Your amazing forecast reminds me of the introduction to the old Superman TV Show:

"Yes, it's Isotherm, with long range forecasting abilities for beyond the means of mortal men,
Isotherm, who can change the course of mighty jet streams, bend isobars in his bare hands... and who, disguised as Tom,mild mannered forecaster for a local weather site, fights for accuracy and truth with his forecasting ways"!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:23 pm

Doc, here here!
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Elmer J Fudd, Billionaire Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:25 pm

Such beautiful warm weather. Lovely. Ohh I can't wait for another 60 degree day. What a pleasant winter. Hunting season is a coming.

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:38 pm

Were complaining here whilst they are getting pummeled in Texas and out west. Meridionaljet structure, just cant get cooperation from the EPO but that stems from the MJO and the fn convectionthat keeps popping up in phase 6. Unbelievable!!
Mikey P never say never, you get a Pinutoba Volcano explosion, a Split of the PV that settles over Hudson Bay and you'll be eating those words and not mowing in NE PA until May kid. It has has before and will again. Nature loves to repeat herself. Will we be here to see it? Maybe not Doc CP ot me but younger folks like you maybe.
Boy we have a back to back bad winters and the best is brought out in peeps.
Gonna take a leave until something of true interests peaks my short hairs.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:39 pm

docstox12 wrote:

I think Isotherm should be tarred and feathered for issuing that awful long term forecast!
Only joking , Isotherm. Your amazing forecast reminds me  of the introduction to the old Superman TV Show:

"Yes, it's Isotherm, with long range forecasting abilities for beyond the means of mortal men,
Isotherm, who can  change the course of mighty jet streams, bend isobars in his bare hands... and who, disguised as Tom,mild mannered forecaster for a local weather site, fights for accuracy  and truth with his forecasting ways"!

Sacrifice would be wise. Let's save winter!
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:46 pm

mikeypizano wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
mikeypizano wrote:

*sniff sniff* Smells like spring is coming!

CP, I have great respect for Mikey P. He is a good person, but is a warmacist. All warmacists must die. I am glad this site is coming to its senses and now wants mindless sacrifice.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Elmer J Fudd, Billionaire Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:32 am

Well what have we here, another warm wainy day. Not a good day for hunting wabbits. The wind. Let's go find some ducks. hehehe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum