NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banter Thread 5.0

+38
Taffy
aiannone
oldtimer
SENJsnowman
bloc1357
CPcantmeasuresnow
Scullybutcher
sabamfa
rb924119
lja
Irish
heehaw453
mikeypizano
Analog96
kalleg
Jack D.
Quietace
HectorO
algae888
nutleyblizzard
Frank_Wx
dkodgis
Math23x7
Snow88
Bkdude
brownie
sroc4
jimv45
GreyBeard
billg315
frank 638
docstox12
amugs
weatherwatchermom
mwilli
jmanley32
Grselig
Dunnzoo
42 posters

Page 5 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19 ... 34  Next

Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 5 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by amugs Mon May 25, 2020 6:39 pm

Happy Birthday Frank!! Beautiful day for your big day!!
I was up in Delaware and Otsego County NY this weekend. They had a whopping total of 19 COVID cases and are in phase 2. IMHO an aboslute joke for these people and business.
Flaten the curve right?? What curve they say up there, there never was one nor will there be. one.

amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon May 25, 2020 6:39 pm

Happy Birthday Frank!! Beautiful day for your big day!!
I was up in Delaware and Otsego County NY this weekend. They had a whopping total of 19 COVID cases and are in phase 2. IMHO an aboslute joke for these people and business.
Flaten the curve right?? What curve they say up there, there never was one nor will there be. one.

amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:41 am

Mugs mentioned in the June observation thread he went to Ramapo Reservation in Mahwah.

Just a little friendly hint or two for anybody going there.I hiked in there from the late 1970's to 2010.The trail up the mountain to the first body of water, McMillan Reservoir is pretty safe.If you go further up the trail to the top of the mountain to Bear Swamp Pond, it gets more dangerous.There are Copperheads and Rattlesnakes , and I have seen them myself, plus black bear.A Ramapo College student was bitten by a Copperhead and died up there.If you go further up the mountain to Bear Swamp Pond, have a hiking partner, well charged cellphones, a snake bite kit and an air horn to scare off bear.It can get serious up there and a nice hike in the woods can turn deadly.I had a park ranger as a patient in my Dental Practice, and he advised me of this as well.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:55 pm

Good advice.  I have a stream near the house and firewood that I cover on top for the winter. By late April when I take the tarps off, I inadvertently find copperheads on top of the wood.  It seems so easy to commune with nature until it isn't.  All sorts of critters out there: fisher cats, snakes, bobcats, bears, and so on. At least up here, they are aplenty.  It really is a question of not what but when and being prepared.

So...where is the the thread for the winter forecast?
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:38 pm

Spent the day at Warwick Winery.. just a perfect day!

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:54 pm

dkodgis wrote:Good advice.  I have a stream near the house and firewood that I cover on top for the winter. By late April when I take the tarps off, I inadvertently find copperheads on top of the wood.  It seems so easy to commune with nature until it isn't.  All sorts of critters out there: fisher cats, snakes, bobcats, bears, and so on. At least up here, they are aplenty.  It really is a question of not what but when and being prepared.

No snow but plenty of new COVID cases, jk lets hope its the opposite but studies are not looking good. Sadly my father in law succumbed to the virus last night. Here's to many blizzards and that we stay healthy, NY now has the lowest transmission rate in the entire US!
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:48 am

Jman, so sorry to hear of the loss of your Father in law from this horrible virus.Thank God that it's dissipating in New York.

We hit rock bottom last winter so we have nowhere to go but up.June 21 is the longest day, then each day gets shorter.June 21 is when my countdown to winter begins.

Enjoy the coming week, weather looks beautiful.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:50 pm

jmanley32 wrote:
dkodgis wrote:Good advice.  I have a stream near the house and firewood that I cover on top for the winter. By late April when I take the tarps off, I inadvertently find copperheads on top of the wood.  It seems so easy to commune with nature until it isn't.  All sorts of critters out there: fisher cats, snakes, bobcats, bears, and so on. At least up here, they are aplenty.  It really is a question of not what but when and being prepared.

No snow but plenty of new COVID cases, jk lets hope its the opposite but studies are not looking good.  Sadly my father in law succumbed to the virus last night.  Here's to many blizzards and that we stay healthy, NY now has the lowest transmission rate in the entire US!

Jman I am sorry for your family's loss...did your wife not just loose her mother at the beginning of the year? This must be very difficult for her. We lost my Mom exactly a month ago(not to covid), and these are just hard crazy times. We can not be together to honor those who have left us. I wish. I have been spending a lot of time in my garden that we started together when I moved into this house to honor her...I hope your wife finds comfort in the memories she shared with her parents that can help her through these difficult times.
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by brownie Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:17 pm

jmanley32 wrote:
No snow but plenty of new COVID cases, jk lets hope its the opposite but studies are not looking good.  Sadly my father in law succumbed to the virus last night.  Here's to many blizzards and that we stay healthy, NY now has the lowest transmission rate in the entire US!

weatherwatchermom wrote:

Jman I am sorry for your family's loss...did your wife not just loose her mother at the beginning of the year? This must be very difficult for her. We lost my Mom exactly a  month ago(not to covid), and these are just hard crazy times. We can not be together to honor those who have left us. I wish. I have been spending a lot of time in my garden that we started together when I moved into this house to honor her...I hope your wife finds comfort in the memories she shared with her parents that can help her through these difficult times.
So sorry to hear about your families’ losses, jmanley and Joanne. It is so dreadfully hard to lose a parent, and this particular time is harder than usual, I’m sure.

Hugs to both of you.

brownie

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:06 pm

brownie wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:

weatherwatchermom wrote:

Jman I am sorry for your family's loss...did your wife not just loose her mother at the beginning of the year? This must be very difficult for her. We lost my Mom exactly a  month ago(not to covid), and these are just hard crazy times. We can not be together to honor those who have left us. I wish. I have been spending a lot of time in my garden that we started together when I moved into this house to honor her...I hope your wife finds comfort in the memories she shared with her parents that can help her through these difficult times.
So sorry to hear about your families’ losses, jmanley and Joanne. It is so dreadfully hard to lose a parent, and this particular time is harder than usual, I’m sure.

Hugs to both of you.
My sorrows to both of your losses, JMan (for your wife) and Joanne. Parents, no matter what age, are never replaceable. I lost mine a few years ago. Mugsy gave some good advice to me of his own experiences. Their memories will always remain, as do their goodness and warm spirit when needed most. I hope you find comfort.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:41 am

weatherwatchermom wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:

Mom, sorry to hear of the loss of your Mom.The garden will bring you some peace as you and your family heal.God Bless.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:34 pm

Thank you everyone...I take comfort in your kind words...and in the knowledge she is with us in so many ways.....and at peace with the fact she is no longer in pain...
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:51 pm

The Lord gives and the Lord takes. Passings either darken our hearts or teach us wisdom. I know we all have had such moments to consider.

Today was a beautiful day. Next week, heat wave.

Mugs! I got my half cow today. 68 miles each way. Get your dibs in by this Aug for June 2021. Also my kids are not having in person classes until Feb 1. 2021
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:52 am

dkodgis wrote:The Lord gives and the Lord takes.  Passings either darken our hearts or teach us wisdom.  I know we all have had such moments to consider.

Today was a beautiful day.   Next week, heat wave.

Mugs!  I got my half cow today. 68 miles each way. Get your dibs in by this Aug for June 2021. Also my kids are not having in person classes until Feb 1. 2021

Wise words. Thank you....and yesterday was a beautiful day..a little over cast today..but temp wise wonderful..not looking forward to next week. and OH BOY...Feb 2021 can I ask are your children in College?
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:58 am

Mom, the boy/man turns 17 in Sep and the girl/woman turns 13 in Oct. i was a late bl👀mer. He will be a senior in HS and she will be an 8th grader. My wife is already missing him while thinking about his hopefully departure in a year. I tell her we must lose him for four years instead of holding him back forever.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:34 pm

Congrats to you having a Senior and and we are a little that way as well..we were not in our 20's....lol we are wiser parents not older..lol .my son is 15 ...he will be a sophomore. I am surprised they are told already that they will not being going back until 2021. I am mixed. my son loves the distance learning model and does not have a problem teaching himself at times. Some of his teachers were really good about using Zoom to teach, others gave assignments and youtube videos, or just assignments with instructions. That is not for everyone. The social side of things I am sad they are missing out on. He is supposed to be training for the swim team he wanted to join and hanging out with his friends...but these are unprecedented times. Very torn.
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:38 am

So sorry for your losses Jman and Joanne, we lost my father-in-law April 9th, the nursing home said covid, but not on death certificate, I don't think it was either, I think it was cardiac related. Anyway, a really terrible time to lose someone (not that there is ever a good time) as you cannot have a proper burial, if we didn't know the funeral director personally, we never would have been able to say our final goodbyes. He was a world war II veteran and didn't get the military honors he deserved. But as we are doing, keep your memories in your hearts, and know they are always with you. I love you

Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:06 pm

Dunnzoo wrote:So sorry for your losses Jman and Joanne, we lost my father-in-law April 9th, the nursing home said covid, but not on death certificate, I don't think it was either, I think it was cardiac related. Anyway, a really terrible time to lose someone (not that there is ever a good time) as you cannot have a proper burial, if we didn't know the funeral director personally, we never would have been able to say our final goodbyes. He was a world war II veteran and didn't get the military honors he deserved. But as we are doing, keep your memories in your hearts, and know they are always with you. I love you

Janet, I am so sorry for your loss and the fact that you, like so many could not honor our loved ones. We were lucky as well that my Dad is good friends with the funeral director and he used one of his emergency spots to have her cremated..otherwise the wait was a month. I hope you can give him full honors in the future. Hugs to you!
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by brownie Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:58 pm

Dunnzoo wrote:So sorry for your losses Jman and Joanne, we lost my father-in-law April 9th, the nursing home said covid, but not on death certificate, I don't think it was either, I think it was cardiac related. Anyway, a really terrible time to lose someone (not that there is ever a good time) as you cannot have a proper burial, if we didn't know the funeral director personally, we never would have been able to say our final goodbyes. He was a world war II veteran and didn't get the military honors he deserved. But as we are doing, keep your memories in your hearts, and know they are always with you. I love you
So sorry to hear this Janet.  

These past months have not been kind to many of our forum members. Neutral Sad

brownie

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:36 pm

Jman, Joanne, Dunnzoo-bless you all
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:11 am

Janet, sorry for your loss and prayers for peace.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:04 am

Janet I am so sorry for your loss my heart and prayers go out to you and your family we are always here for you

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:53 pm

First off, prayers and condolences to all you folks who have recently lost love ones. As Janet said there is never a good time for having to deal with a loved one's passing, but during these times it adds more heartache and worry than it would have just a few short months ago.

I don't see our lives returning to the ways things used to be any time soon, and I really am concerned for what life will be like for our future generations.

How long can the government keep throwing money at bailing out businesses and individuals? At some point the piper will have to be paid. I've heard of people making more money now then they did when they had jobs because of all the money being pumped in. What's their incentive to go back to work? Ok, rant over. Best wishes to you all to stay healthy and happy.

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:04 pm

On the evening of Sunday, March 15th, I made this post in the banter thread right as the shutdown was beginning:

[I]n some parts of the world, like Italy, the situation has become so dire........There are more patients in need than there are rooms available in hospitals, which has prompted them to decide who to bring in and who to be left to die. From what I have heard, some of these hospitals have now made it a policy not to take in anyone over the age of 80, which is devastating!

We in the US are on track to have the numbers similar to Italy within a week or so. Some of the policies we are seeing local, state, and federal officials, as crazy as they may seem, are an attempt to slow the rate of serious infections. The last thing we want to see is our hospitals become so saturated to where they become like in parts of Italy.

I will add that I think these measures will be in place for weeks, maybe months. We are dealing with a disease unlike anything any one of us have seen. I don’t think a lot of people are old enough to remember the Spanish flu pandemic from 1918-20 but I’m sure they encountered similar problems. It wouldn’t even shock me if when all is said and done, there is somebody each of knows personally who died in this pandemic.

That last part was my big fear from this.  I know several others on this forum have lost loved ones to this disease.  Sadly, I am also a part of that group.   Last April, one of my mom's cousins died from COVID at the age of 73.  While I didn't really get to know her that much, I can tell you that she had a tremendous impact on my life.  

I read through a study that said that 1 in 5 know someone who died from COVID.  I unfortunately see that number growing given what's going on in the rest of the country.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:52 am

I hope everyone is taking care!! HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL THE DADS OUT THERE!!
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:44 pm

Hope all you dads are having a great day today! The heat is on this week!

Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:25 pm

Happy Father’s Day to all the great fathers at least today Not too humid perfect day for a barbecue and fishing

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19 ... 34  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum