NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banter Thread 6.0

+40
Radz
kalleg
phil155
Wheezer
nutleyblizzard
rb924119
jimv45
brownie
Math23x7
SoulSingMG
mikeypizano
DAYBLAZER
SkiSeadooJoe
Joe Snow
essexcountypete
aiannone
heehaw453
frank 638
mwilli
Irish
Scullybutcher
algae888
bobjohnsonforthehall
docstox12
CPcantmeasuresnow
Dunnzoo
sroc4
amugs
SENJsnowman
weatherwatchermom
jmanley32
HectorO
TheAresian
dkodgis
GreyBeard
Grselig
snowday111
billg315
WeatherBob
Frank_Wx
44 posters

Page 2 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 30  Next

Go down

Banter Thread 6.0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Banter Thread 6.0

Post by Dunnzoo Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:50 pm

Hi all, what are the years they are using for the "new" 30 year average for snowfall? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:49 pm

Dunnzoo wrote:Hi all, what are the years they are using for the "new" 30 year average for snowfall? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Janet:

It will be January 1991 through December 2020. It's not posted anywhere yet that I've seen.

On a side note, I'm disappointed you don't already know that from the weather statistics thread. I guess you and 998 other registered users just don't bother reading it. I do have my core audience though, Sroc, docstox and billg thank you for your continued support.

CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:08 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
Dunnzoo wrote:Hi all, what are the years they are using for the "new" 30 year average for snowfall? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Janet:

It will be January 1991 through December 2020. It's not posted anywhere yet that I've seen.

On a side note, I'm disappointed you don't already know that from the weather statistics thread. I guess you and 998 other registered users just don't bother reading it. I do have my core audience though, Sroc, docstox and billg thank you for your continued support.

Through thick and thin good Buddy.I have been following that for a while now.So very interesting!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

CPcantmeasuresnow likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bobjohnsonforthehall Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:08 am

Weather related question for my personal edification.

Sometimes upper level energy cuts to our west and all that happens is that we warm up and get very wet. Then sometimes a low will cut to our west and reform off the coast. What is the difference between the two? What makes one jump while the other not? Does the one that jump run into blocking while the other does not?
bobjohnsonforthehall
bobjohnsonforthehall

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:14 am

bobjohnsonforthehall wrote:Weather related question for my personal edification.

Sometimes upper level energy cuts to our west and all that happens is that we warm up and get very wet. Then sometimes a low will cut to our west and reform off the coast. What is the difference between the two? What makes one jump while the other not? Does the one that jump run into blocking while the other does not?

Generally speaking yes. If there is blocking in the right location and it can't get far enough north the energy gets forced to the coast where the secondary low develops. No blocking, or blocking too far east or southeast, and it just zooms up to the Great Lakes and New England and we just get the warm sector rain out front (maybe starting as snow sometimes if it is cold enough) and then (usually) a cold frontal passage after the Low is well to our north.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:40 am

bobjohnsonforthehall wrote:Weather related question for my personal edification.

The jet stream controls the overall flow of storms around the world. However, jet streams are susceptible to other forces in our atmosphere like a ridge, or area of High Pressure, or a Polar Vortex which is an extreme area of low pressure. This how the terms 'ridge' and 'trough' come to be because a rising jet happens above areas of High Pressure (ridge) while a jet stream forced south happens under areas of low pressure (trough).

Bill is correct. There is a force - normally area of High Pressure - deterring the storm from cutting west. So the upper energy associated with it has to close off while transferring energy to somewhere else. This is normally your 'secondary' low pressure that develops near or off the coast.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:23 pm

Omg should I take it as a sign???.sons school went virtual before Christmas..they missed taking drivers ed test..they finally took it and I set him up for driving lessons starting Monday....it's supposed to snow almost every day this comming week Shocked
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:30 pm

A good way to get experience fast.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

weatherwatchermom likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:38 pm

Hey JMan, I just wanted to say what a bummer is that you got laid off. I know it was a while back, but still...My wife’s uncle used reselling on eBay to totally rebuild his financial life from losing his house and moving in with his in- laws (while in his mid-50’s) to buying a new house on his own terms all within 4-5 years. It does have amazing potential, and probably still on the upswing.

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:01 pm

SENJsnowman wrote:Hey JMan, I just wanted to say what a bummer is that you got laid off. I know it was a while back, but still...My wife’s uncle used reselling on eBay to totally rebuild his financial life from losing his house and moving in with his in- laws (while in his mid-50’s) to buying a new house on his own terms all within 4-5 years. It does have amazing potential, and probably still on the upswing.
yup, im almost 40 and have start all over. If I am lucky i can retire at 125 yrs old. Still in crappy apartment, things pretty much suck right now. I really have no hope in my heart, i went to school to get my masters in social work and then took the exam and obtained my license and have not been able to oficially use it yet since 2017. I am pretty down i nthe dumps. I have had almost no responses from jobs applied to and anoy that did reply never ended up panning out or i never hard from them after screening or 1st interview. They say one door closes another opens. Heah it appears that door is locked and i got no key. Sorry to rant but i wish this shit would just go away. On top of it my friend is in the hospital with covid and i have no way to see how he is doing as i do not know the family. Eli on the other hand my daughters friend has been doing pretty well though the treatment is taking a toll, but it does not appear grim like it was before unless the family isn't telling us something. we just get brief text updates.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:22 pm

dkodgis wrote:A good way to get experience fast.

Very Happy Very Happy that is exactly what my husband said!! lol  My son has always been happy go lucky and rolls with the punches..its not the end of the world..by no means..I just was having a Mom guilt moment.(comes with the territory of have a winter baby).
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:33 pm

JMan this is the place to rant! My Dad always said be prepared cuz things will change. Whether things are good or bad, things change, so be ready. That advice works especially well for me when things are bad in every direction and I need something to see hope in. It also means for me to be ready in case that door of opportunity opens sooner than later. And having been in the exact same position as you from the ages 37-40, I have come to believe that using a resume to get a job is a less likely path to meaningful income for people in our age/demographic bracket than is using your own marketable skills that you can parlay directly into income. Especially so with a msw. imo. And especially so with your eternally positive attitude. (There’s a fountain I need to drink from!!)

So hang in there and all the best. I bet the 21” made things feel a lot better, for a little bit anyway.

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

jmanley32 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:58 pm

SENJsnowman wrote:JMan this is the place to rant! My Dad always said be prepared cuz things will change. Whether things are good or bad, things change, so be ready. That advice works especially well for me when things are bad in every direction and I need something to see hope in. It also means for me to be ready in case that door of opportunity opens sooner than later. And having been in the exact same position as you from the ages 37-40, I have come to believe that using a resume to get a job is a less likely path to meaningful income for people in our age/demographic bracket than is using your own marketable skills that you can parlay directly into income. Especially so with a msw. imo. And especially so with your eternally positive attitude. (There’s a fountain I need to drink from!!)

So hang in there and all the best. I bet the 21” made things feel a lot better, for a little bit anyway.
I have a eternally positive attitude? Lol...ok well thanks for that. Sadly without a resume in my field no one will give you a glance if you apply without a resume. I don't know any fields that would. Yeah the snow was cool and we still have a decent 6 plus otg so if we can add 5 or 6 that be awesome. I just need get out of this funk im in. Once I do things will be better. Plus winter time I'm always in mood hibernation lol. It's just I wanna be able to move to give my daughter what she wants and needs and that's pretty hard. I pray they extend federal unemployment in March or I'm really go b sol.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:50 am

Jman..you should hit up our town wide garage sale this spring.. we have one every spring and fall...I will post the date when I find out..we are only an hour from you.
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:15 pm

There are going to be a lot of busted winter forecasts this year. At least for the month of February where every long range forecaster had a warm February. Epic month incoming. One to tell your grand kids about.
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:34 pm

Brady ends any arguments and proves himself as the best ever.

His win proves the theory that Brady made Bellicheat appear great, not the other way around. Tonights win solidifies Bellicheat as a man who can't win without Brady and as a sub 500 coach without him.

I couldn't be happier and until this season I hated Brady for beating up on the Jets for 20 years. Now I love him for what in my mind at least tarnishes Bellicheats record.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

brownie, billg315 and Irish like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Scullybutcher Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:48 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:Brady ends any arguments and proves himself as the best ever.

His win proves the theory that Brady made Bellicheat appear great, not the other way around. Tonights win solidifies Bellicheat as a man who can't win without Brady and as a sub 500 coach without him.

I couldn't be happier and until this season I hated Brady for beating up on the Jets for 20 years. Now I love him for what in my mind at least tarnishes Bellicheats record.

I agree with this 💯
Scullybutcher
Scullybutcher
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Location : North Smithtown, western Suffolk county, long island

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:18 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:Brady ends any arguments and proves himself as the best ever.

Very true but as an ex football player and student of the game. The Bucs' defense won this game tonight, Brady just took advantage of what he was given. Plus, the running game killed the Chiefs. This was a cakewalk for Brady, however, he is the G.O.A.T.!
Irish
Irish
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:15 am

Surprised Brady ran the ball so much but when did did uncork, he's still got an arm and a half at 43 Of course Brady answered doubters

Question: on a smart phone, what board version do people use? The classic or the mobile? I like the version on my laptop. I switch to it on my phone.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:11 am

dkodgis wrote:

Question:  on a smart phone, what board version do people use?  The classic or the mobile?  I like the version on my laptop. I switch to it on my phone.

Always the mobile version on my phone. Sometimes I switch to standard version and always immediately regret when I do. Prob just habit for me. During intense tracking times, I tend to check for updates like every 30 seconds, so I need ease of use!!!

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:13 am

There's a sports thread for this folks....

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:32 pm

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

HectorO, kalleg and billg315 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:52 pm

weatherwatchermom wrote:Jman..you should hit up our town wide garage sale this spring.. we have one every spring and fall...I will post the date when I find out..we are only an hour from you.
Oh I always go to NJ, I was going to go to yours last year but I found one closer, its a drive to get there and I am a realy bird (yeah many people hate that but thats how you find the good stuff).
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by mwilli Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:37 pm

just looked at the GFS model 2/23-24 360-378 hours snow on the coast/rain offshore look how tight the isobars are.. now I know things could change so this is just a heads-up right now.

mwilli

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:49 pm

Pics from yesterday after both storms. I haven't seen this much snow in a long time and my daughter never has. First year sledding and making snowman.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f53/18/65/60/45/20210210.jpg
Banter Thread 6.0 - Page 2 20210210

Banter Thread 6.0 - Page 2 20210211

Banter Thread 6.0 - Page 2 20210212
Banter Thread 6.0 - Page 2 20210213
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

amugs, kalleg, brownie, essexcountypete, heehaw453 and weatherwatchermom like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:56 pm

jmanley32 wrote:Pics from yesterday after both storms. I haven't seen this much snow and my daughter never has. First year sledding and making snowman.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f53/18/65/60/45/20210210.jpg
Banter Thread 6.0 - Page 2 20210210

Banter Thread 6.0 - Page 2 20210211

Banter Thread 6.0 - Page 2 20210212
Banter Thread 6.0 - Page 2 20210213
good job building the snowman ⛄ So far very happy with this winter

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:32 am

jmanley32 wrote:
weatherwatchermom wrote:Jman..you should hit up our town wide garage sale this spring.. we have one every spring and fall...I will post the date when I find out..we are only an hour from you.
Oh I always go to NJ, I was going to go to yours last year but I found one closer, its a drive to get there and I am a realy bird  (yeah many people hate that but thats how you find the good stuff).
Yes I remember..will let you know when..have friends in your area..no traffic you are an hour..ps pics of your daughter are great!
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 30  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum