NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banter Thread 7.0

+33
brownie
mmanisca
Grselig
GreyBeard
Dunnzoo
Taffy
Quietace
HectorO
Frank_Wx
billg315
dolphins222
sroc4
essexcountypete
docstox12
Ronfdny
TheAresian
phil155
Scullybutcher
Math23x7
lglickman1
dkodgis
weatherwatchermom
jmanley32
SENJsnowman
CPcantmeasuresnow
rb924119
nutleyblizzard
crippo84
RJB8525
frank 638
mikeypizano
heehaw453
amugs
37 posters

Page 15 of 23 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19 ... 23  Next

Go down

Banter Thread 7.0 - Page 15 Empty Re: Banter Thread 7.0

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:23 pm

Too hot car read 106 this afternoon, ugg. And doesn't look like much relief even from possible storms tomorrow from cold front. Just noted the responses from the beginning of July from everyone, thanks. Been super busy summer buying, selling and doing therapy 7 hours a day (1 hour lunch). Just got a back from a BBQ put on by local temple, way to hot but it was good. Back to the grind tomorrow. Weathermom, maybe, Hazlet is pretty far since I leave in the wee hours of the morning, and since you guys have so many most of the stuff I buy has been scoured out. But I scored big time this year in Hawthorn, NJ among a few other places but I also noted that people have not been having as many garage sales as in past years. NY doesn't really have entire towns do sales like NJ which is where I always find the most and best stuff to resell. Alexa is enjoying camp and going to spend a week with gma and pop pop and my wife and I are going to take a few days off and relax together ALONE for once since pre-pandemic.

jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:42 pm

99.5 high temp for today thank you mother nature for not adding high humidity on to that....so dislike this weather!

weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:41 pm

weatherwatchermom wrote:99.5 high temp for today thank you mother nature for not adding high humidity on to that....so dislike this weather!
same here even at the beach it’s hot as hell .I can’t wait for the fall weather

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

weatherwatchermom likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:40 am

https://www.foxnews.com/science/tonga-volcano-spews-enough-water-fill-olympic-size-swimming-pools-stratosphere

Ok, I’m posting this here. Regardless of the source, I directly oppose, and in no uncertain terms, flat out disagree with the “conclusion” drawn in this article by the NASA employee. Let’s think about this. Assuming their estimates are correct, in that this eruption added an additional 10% of the total Stratospheric water vapor into the layer. By any objective measure, then, this should have a net warming effect on that layer via exothermic processes (condensing from vapor to droplets, the freezing into crystals, all processes that release heat into the surrounding environment) and heat trapping properties of water vapor itself. I agree with them there. However, that’s the extent to which I agree. For those of you who watched my winter outlook discussion last year, you may recall how I explained the relationship between the Troposphere (where are) and the Stratosphere (the layer of the atmosphere above where we are) using considerations of thickness. For those who didn’t already see it, or who don’t remember, I believe we have separate thread for it that you can visit and watch the video. But basically, the atmosphere works to maintain an overall thickness, or depth, which is divided into sections separated by relatively stable boundaries. Think of a multilayer cake - the layers of icing are the stable boundaries, and the cake filling is each atmospheric layer. Now, these layers can expand and contract, but they always must stay between the icing, and, must always contain the same amount of mass (physical law).

Bringing our cake into the article, now, if we just added 10% more mass of water vapor into our Stratosphere, by physical law, then, that means that the volume of the stratosphere increased (which agrees with the separate idea of expansion via the thermodynamical reasons mentioned earlier). So if the Stratosphere is expanding, then in order to follow physical law, the Troposphere MUST contract. If expanding air warms, then what should contracting air do? Cools. So, all things being equal, we should expect to see a cooling trend globally.

However, there are caveats to this, as the location of the water vapor anomalies will effect changes in other processes. For example, if the water vapor is largely contained to the tropical Stratosphere, then this will SUCK for our winters, as it would work to strengthen the Stratospheric PV (see my video). But, if I gets displaced poleward, then the opposite would generally be true.

Another consideration is with regard to the MJO. If the vapor stays in the tropical Stratosphere, MJO and most convective activity would be suppressed. Third, is the distribution within a particular zone uniform? Or, does it get trapped in certain spots? If the latter, then this would have direct consequences on how our weather pattern gets set up.

This will be important to watch evolve, for sure, but I hope I presented a decent explanation as to why the blanket statement of “it’s going to warm our temperatures” is certainly not an accurate statement to make, in my opinion, because it frankly doesn’t even follow the physical and thermodynamical laws of our atmosphere, at least a high level lol

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

billg315 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:15 pm

rb924119 wrote:https://www.foxnews.com/science/tonga-volcano-spews-enough-water-fill-olympic-size-swimming-pools-stratosphere

Ok, I’m posting this here. Regardless of the source, I directly oppose, and in no uncertain terms, flat out disagree with the “conclusion” drawn in this article by the NASA employee. Let’s think about this. Assuming their estimates are correct, in that this eruption added an additional 10% of the total Stratospheric water vapor into the layer. By any objective measure, then, this should have a net warming effect on that layer via exothermic processes (condensing from vapor to droplets, the freezing into crystals, all processes that release heat into the surrounding environment) and heat trapping properties of water vapor itself. I agree with them there. However, that’s the extent to which I agree. For those of you who watched my winter outlook discussion last year, you may recall how I explained the relationship between the Troposphere (where are) and the Stratosphere (the layer of the atmosphere above where we are) using considerations of thickness. For those who didn’t already see it, or who don’t remember, I believe we have separate thread for it that you can visit and watch the video. But basically, the atmosphere works to maintain an overall thickness, or depth, which is divided into sections separated by relatively stable boundaries. Think of a multilayer cake - the layers of icing are the stable boundaries, and the cake filling is each atmospheric layer. Now, these layers can expand and contract, but they always must stay between the icing, and, must always contain the same amount of mass (physical law).

Bringing our cake into the article, now, if we just added 10% more mass of water vapor into our Stratosphere, by physical law, then, that means that the volume of the stratosphere increased (which agrees with the separate idea of expansion via the thermodynamical reasons mentioned earlier). So if the Stratosphere is expanding, then in order to follow physical law, the Troposphere MUST contract. If expanding air warms, then what should contracting air do? Cools. So, all things being equal, we should expect to see a cooling trend globally.

However, there are caveats to this, as the location of the water vapor anomalies will effect changes in other processes. For example, if the water vapor is largely contained to the tropical Stratosphere, then this will SUCK for our winters, as it would work to strengthen the Stratospheric PV (see my video). But, if I gets displaced poleward, then the opposite would generally be true.

Another consideration is with regard to the MJO. If the vapor stays in the tropical Stratosphere, MJO and most convective activity would be suppressed. Third, is the distribution within a particular zone uniform? Or, does it get trapped in certain spots? If the latter, then this would have direct consequences on how our weather pattern gets set up.

This will be important to watch evolve, for sure, but I hope I presented a decent explanation as to why the blanket statement of “it’s going to warm our temperatures” is certainly not an accurate statement to make, in my opinion, because it frankly doesn’t even follow the physical and thermodynamical laws of our atmosphere, at least a high level lol

Obviously.
Laughing Laughing Wink
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:58 pm

Heat Misera using everything and anything they can get their hands on.
Buddy is in Norway and it's 40* at night, they need winter jackets. Summer over and the natives said it was warm for a few days and the rest have been cold, not cool but cold.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by essexcountypete Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:33 pm

This is definitely my world right now...

State Drought Expands As Newark Sees Driest July Ever
Much of New Jersey received only a quarter to a half of normal rainfall totals in the past month.
Only 0.55 inches of rain fell in Newark in July, breaking the old record of 0.84 inches set in 1932.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/across-nj/amp/30826238/state-drought-expands-as-newark-sees-driest-july-ever
essexcountypete
essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:18 am

essexcountypete wrote:This is definitely my world right now...

State Drought Expands As Newark Sees Driest July Ever
Much of New Jersey received only a quarter to a half of normal rainfall totals in the past month.
Only 0.55 inches of rain fell in Newark in July, breaking the old record of 0.84 inches set in 1932.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/across-nj/amp/30826238/state-drought-expands-as-newark-sees-driest-july-ever

Wow, a 90 year record falls. That is significant and I hope we make up for it this winter with cold air in place.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

essexcountypete and weatherwatchermom like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by essexcountypete Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:13 pm

We had a couple pop up sun showers just now and for a good three or four minutes it rained on one side of my house but not the other. My driveway has small puddles, my neighbors driveway got a few drops but stayed mostly dry. I was running back and forth to make sure it wasn't seeing things. My neighbors must think I'm nuts.
essexcountypete
essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:52 pm

Banter Thread 7.0 - Page 15 Bake_a11

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

sroc4, amugs, kalleg, Taffy and jmanley32 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:44 pm

Extreme wx is going to be a norm as we move forward and will only ramp up. It not me, you other trace atmospheric gas but Cy less of the planet, sun and galaxy.

This along with a a moderate X flare with our wanning magnetosphere would knock us back to pre electrification days. Heck man's only been in this new era for 100 plus years as a majority. When will that happen is a good guess but some scientists belive within the next decades = many of our lifetimes sadly.

Time will tell.

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:54 pm

Peeking at the “authoritative”  and early 2022-2023 Youtube weather forecasts for this winter, two things are evident:  1) Doc is buying that Russian fur hat and 2) below-average temps and above-average precipitation are on the table.

And heating oil. In seven days heating oil went from $4.30 to $4.45 a gallon yet oil is down $2.24 a barrel in the same week
Banter Thread 7.0 - Page 15 1f605  Banter Thread 7.0 - Page 15 1f605
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:07 pm

dkodgis wrote:Peeking at the “authoritative”  and early 2022-2023 Youtube weather forecasts for this winter, two things are evident:  1) Doc is buying that Russian fur hat and 2) below-average temps and above-average precipitation are on the table.

And heating oil. In seven days heating oil went from $4.30 to $4.45 a gallon yet oil is down $2.24 a barrel in the same week

Natural Gas is $8.40 a cu ft and put it into perspective that a 350% increase over 2020 prices and 200% over last years.

Time start splitting some wood!!!

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:39 pm

I have 14 cord of hickory. I never thought I’d see the day where we get knocked over with high energy prices like this. I was joking about authoritative YouTube reports about winter but my goodness just imagine a cold winter like 2013-14 meeting these prices. I was filling up the house with 15 gallons of diesel 2x a week. I brought my yellow cans into NJ because I worked close by. Heating oil was $4.50. NJ diesel was a $1.25 less. Still hurt when the year before it was something like $2.35 a gallon. And so it goes, and so it goes…
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:18 pm

Hey everyone I hope u guys are having a wonderful summer!!! Can’t believe 3 more weeks until Labor Day time fly and I am happy fall is coming.we all know it’s been bone dry many of us has low to moderate drought conditions. We need rain bad I noticed many leaves and grass Is drying up I wonder how much longer will this last . The Longest drought I remember was in late 02 and 95

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:07 pm

dkodgis wrote:Peeking at the “authoritative”  and early 2022-2023 Youtube weather forecasts for this winter, two things are evident:  1) Doc is buying that Russian fur hat and 2) below-average temps and above-average precipitation are on the table.

I was reading the other day, about the warnings that the English gov was putting out and I happened across this article.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-08-12/a-storm-brews-in-heating-oil-elements-by-javier-blas

Not going to be pretty..
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:26 pm

frank 638 wrote:Hey everyone I hope u guys are having a wonderful summer!!! Can’t believe 3 more weeks until Labor Day time fly and I am happy fall is coming.we all know it’s been bone dry many of us has low to moderate drought conditions. We need rain bad I noticed many leaves and grass Is drying up I wonder how much longer will this last  . The Longest drought I remember was in late 02 and 95  
Right? It is kinda crazy. on the one hand I like the nice weather especially on the weekend, M-F 9-5 I'm stuck inside in New Rochelle except to get lunch for about 10 mins of a walk. But don't get me wrong I like my job for the most part and I have a nice ceiling to just above floor windows but sadly they face the big building across street, I do have a nice tree in front of the window though. For those that know the area I work one floor up from Monroe College at 150 Huguenot.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:30 pm

amugs wrote:

Natural Gas is $8.40 a cu ft and put it into perspective that a 350% increase over 2020 prices and 200% over last years.

Time start splitting some wood!!!
Times like this I am glad I am not in a house yet, yeah it is older and rather raggedy but we pay dirt cheap rent for the area and since it is rent controlled only goes up 1-3%  a year.  We moved in in 2007 at $1300 for a large 2 BR and it is now in November going up to $1530 from $1500. I have been looking and you cant find this size for less than $2,500 now and if you want brand new your looking at mortgage prices.  I just worry about our landlords being even cheaper with the heat this year. Last year was bad enough, it was freezing at night and hot in the daytime. And they wait till the oil runs dry before refilling it so sometimes we go a day without heat at all!!
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:10 am

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/spaghetti-sauce-under-threat-water-124539175.html
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:32 am

weatherwatchermom wrote:https://finance.yahoo.com/news/spaghetti-sauce-under-threat-water-124539175.html

MAMA MIA ,there will not be any speecee spicey meat balls!!
The old Italian Grandma's I knew growing up would find a way around this somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48TewJlc6BA
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

weatherwatchermom likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:13 am

frank 638 wrote:Hey everyone I hope u guys are having a wonderful summer!!! Can’t believe 3 more weeks until Labor Day time fly and I am happy fall is coming.we all know it’s been bone dry many of us has low to moderate drought conditions. We need rain bad I noticed many leaves and grass Is drying up I wonder how much longer will this last  . The Longest drought I remember was in late 02 and 95  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/concern-grows-as-severe-drought-conditions-take-over-in-eastern-part-of-orange-county/ar-AA10GOGH?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4b4997bcccce46ed96dfbb5cc9eb53d5

This is what we have up here.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

frank 638 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:46 am

Great video explains things about our Sun and its awakening plus what's down the road cycle wise

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:10 pm

docstox12 wrote:
weatherwatchermom wrote:https://finance.yahoo.com/news/spaghetti-sauce-under-threat-water-124539175.html

MAMA MIA ,there will not be any speecee spicey meat balls!!
The old Italian Grandma's I knew growing up would find a way around this somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48TewJlc6BA

great commercial..you always find the funniest clips!
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

amugs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:23 pm

Hunga Tonga wffwcts being felt all over SH. It starting ti creep N just in time for our winter and spring. Could mean cooler temps as Pinatubobdid but this is much larger in the amount of ash, particulates, and aerosols released into the Ionosphere. Wetter, above normal conditions go with this.
Good video explaining this.

amugs
amugs

sroc4 and kalleg like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:41 pm

Pretty cool yet complex world we live in to say the least

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:09 pm

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:31 am

sroc4 wrote:

I read about fusion way back in the 1970's.Theoretically, it provides unlimited power with 0 emissions.Much better than acres of ugly solar panels on pristine farmland like I see up here ,or ugly windmills that kill billions of birds and whose blades have to be disposed of.The fusion simply is trying to replicate what goes on in the sun.This is the Holy Grail solution to the problem IMHO.Glad to see they have made advancements on it.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

sroc4 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 23 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19 ... 23  Next

Permissions in this forum: