NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tropics

+23
GreyBeard
brownie
docstox12
sabamfa
frank 638
Cyanide02Z06
Frank_Wx
jtswife
Joe Snow
aiannone
phil155
billg315
Zhukov1945
tomsriversnowstorm
Radz
Dunnzoo
sroc4
weatherwatchermom
rb924119
dkodgis
jmanley32
Quietace
amugs
27 posters

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Go down

Tropics - Page 19 Empty Re: Tropics

Post by jmanley32 Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:57 am

amugs wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:Cone has shifted west and has psot tropical Nicole going right up delmarva and into nj and then into the wall inland northeast. This will be interesting. 850 winds for area are intense and with the heavy convective rain could easily mix down. I think most have lost a lot leaves so won't be a issue like earlier in yr. I could see TS watches warnings going up for area thurs.. ain't that something. Has that ever happened 2nd week of nov?

Tropics - Page 19 FhCj3KBWQAEqeQH?format=png&name=900x900
Yeah sorry no time to post pics thanks mugs. GFS continues to keep heaviest rain well to west of us then it cuts to the east, the strongest winds on eastern side. Of course this won't be pinned down for another 2 days or so after FL hit which looks near 100% likely. Reminds me like I said earlier like Isiaias in 2020 where all the rain was over PA and we got all the wind, of course hopefully not on the same scale but who knows, that wind field is beyond huge.

jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:05 am

jmanley32 wrote:Cone has shifted west and has psot tropical Nicole going right up delmarva and into nj and then into the wall inland northeast. This will be interesting. 850 winds for area are intense and with the heavy convective rain could easily mix down. I think most have lost a lot leaves so won't be a issue like earlier in yr. I could see TS watches warnings going up for area thurs.. ain't that something. Has that ever happened 2nd week of nov?

These are historical stats for Tropical systems from 1851 through 2015.  My guess is that historically there have been several post tropical/hybrid type systems that have made their way up into the NE as well.  Before Sandy Nicole as a post tropical system likely would not have been tracked thje way it is today.  It would have been nothing more than a noreaster or system classifieds as "the remnants of.." and forgotten ion history.  Remember records back to 1851 is a drop in the bucket.  Dont get too excited that this is some sort of unique event.  It may not happen very often but clearly it has happened before...even before "global warming". Also there have been tropical systems into December as well.

Tropics - Page 19 Nov_1_10_sm
Tropics - Page 19 Nov_11_20_sm

Tropics - Page 19 AtlanticCampfire_sm

sroc4
Admin
Admin

amugs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:48 am

Tropics - Page 19 FhC25sJXwAExkh5?format=jpg&name=large

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:31 pm

amugs wrote:Tropics - Page 19 FhC25sJXwAExkh5?format=jpg&name=large
well that's quite a consensus pretty far out still. In top image wonder why main blue plot is so far east skewed from the rest. Or is that a single model?

Last edited by jmanley32 on Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:32 pm

sroc4 wrote:

These are historical stats for Tropical systems from 1851 through 2015.  My guess is that historically there have been several post tropical/hybrid type systems that have made their way up into the NE as well.  Before Sandy Nicole as a post tropical system likely would not have been tracked thje way it is today.  It would have been nothing more than a noreaster or system classifieds as "the remnants of.." and forgotten ion history.  Remember records back to 1851 is a drop in the bucket.  Dont get too excited that this is some sort of unique event.  It may not happen very often but clearly it has happened before...even before "global warming".  Also there have been tropical systems into December as well.

Tropics - Page 19 Nov_1_10_sm
Tropics - Page 19 Nov_11_20_sm

Tropics - Page 19 AtlanticCampfire_sm
wasn't saying it was go b historic in sense of impacts I meant in terms of a system happening. But yes sandy changed it all. So since 2012 these are being remembered now. Which will skew with prior to sandy.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:10 pm

Tropics - Page 19 FhDyK3pUcAAHqV9?format=png&name=900x900

That is a BIG wind field on her - there will be many surprises from this storm.

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:16 pm

WPB area hit - I kep saying between Boca and Jupiter this is going into.
Tropics - Page 19 FhDdgtsWYAEqCYu?format=jpg&name=medium

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:10 pm

amugs wrote:Tropics - Page 19 FhDyK3pUcAAHqV9?format=png&name=900x900

That is a BIG wind field on her - there will be many surprises from this storm.
Yeah I was just saying that, Levi talked last night and said the winds were eventually going to pivot and be mainly on the western side, its a strange formation with the west being devoid of any sig winds. Winds up to 60mph per NHC btw. probably be a hurricane tonight or tomorrow morning latest.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:27 pm

Bastardi just posted this from 12z GFS. Fairly sig impacts especially well to east. Models still run her as far west as northern NY to across CT, so setup of the area of the highest winds will be questioned until we see her flying up the coast likely. Appears per Bastardi that majority of heavy rain will be on western side. Same as Isiais, not anywhere near as strong though, at least not as modeled yet.

THIS IS NOT CAUSED BY THE SO CALLED TACK THE WIND SPEED ON  ITS WHEN THE FLOW IS ALIGNED AND TURBULENT MIXING BRINGS THE STRONG WINDS ON THE EAST SIDE DOWN  Notie how its an open trough with strong winds to east

Tropics - Page 19 Fhdl9d10
Tropics - Page 19 Fhdl7c10

jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:10 pm

Tropics - Page 19 5fe85810
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:55 am

Interesting NHC cut the cone to end to day 3 and no longer has LR on it, wonder if they are passing on the remaining forecast to NWS or is that a error? Since sandy I thought they track until the system is a complete remnant?  anyways looking at models this appears to no longer to be much, if at all a rain event for us, but potentially fairly intense wind event.  Look at HWRF 850s like soul posted above but the latest run, only thing is without the intense precipitation would any of that mix down.

Tropics - Page 19 09004810

Tropics - Page 19 Hwrf-p10

Tropics - Page 19 Hwrf-p11

One thing for sure, other than Sandy that is one of the largest TS wind force fields I have seen and it whas become more aligned and now fully surrounds COC which is a sign of intensification, at 70mph will be a hurricane at any time. Dunno if wilkl become a cat 2 like bastardi is tooting but anything can happen. Amazing when she hits FL outer wind field will already be brushing southern SC.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:11 pm

My friend is storm chasing and met the Josh Morgamann. Sick. He is the world renowned hurricane hunter worldwide.

Tropics - Page 19 Img_3311
Tropics - Page 19 Img_3312

He is a man of his word and is following him

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:55 am

sroc4 wrote:
SENJsnowman wrote:Mugs, or anybody else, I was wondering if I could get a quick update on this potential storm please. I'm driving with the kids to Florida that week. We are planning to leave early in the morning of the November 6th, then stopping over for the night in Rocky Mount, NC (site of the beautiful traveler's special 4" snowstorm that me and the kids had the good fortune to experience this past January!!), and then staying in Jacksonville from Nov 7th-Nov 11. Driving back on the 11th but spending another night in NC and finally back home on the 12th.  

So, of course, I'm hoping this threat fizzled already, but I guess I also need to know if it hasn't. My hotel rooms are cancelable through Nov 2nd or so, but with NJ schools off for the week and being otherwise a slow travel week, I'd much rather be able to go. And I'm not all that concerned about rain, but more so potential for tropical storm or other severe conditions.

Thanks!

Tropics - Page 19 Roadtr10

I’d say there is less than a 10% chance of that coming to fruition. Maybe less.

Was just reading over the tropics posts and I'll be danged if SENJ didn't hit the nail on the head with the exact dates that Nicole would be affecting the area. Hopefully he changed his plans and is either hunkered down riding it out, or is out ahead of it and out of harms way. Safe travels either way.

Sroc, it was a swing and a miss on your call, but in all fairness, this was 2 weeks ago. Too bad Mugsy didn't answer, he was right on the money at the time with that map. Nice call. You had this pegged all the way.

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

SENJsnowman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:19 am

SENJsnowman wrote:Mugs, or anybody else, I was wondering if I could get a quick update on this potential storm please. I'm driving with the kids to Florida that week. We are planning to leave early in the morning of the November 6th, then stopping over for the night in Rocky Mount, NC (site of the beautiful traveler's special 4" snowstorm that me and the kids had the good fortune to experience this past January!!), and then staying in Jacksonville from Nov 7th-Nov 11. Driving back on the 11th but spending another night in NC and finally back home on the 12th.  

So, of course, I'm hoping this threat fizzled already, but I guess I also need to know if it hasn't. My hotel rooms are cancelable through Nov 2nd or so, but with NJ schools off for the week and being otherwise a slow travel week, I'd much rather be able to go. And I'm not all that concerned about rain, but more so potential for tropical storm or other severe conditions.

Thanks!

So, it looks like things ended up playing out more or less as was initially modeled and so here I am in Jacksonville, Fl, ready to head out north on I-95 back up to Florida. One last stop in to see my dad this morning and then me and the kids are rolling out. Not too too concerned with facing severe weather on the way but I am a little concerned that the Little Black Bus (my '22 Kia Forte!) is a bit undersized for really nasty conditions.

So, about 9 or 9:30 this morning we head out from Jax northbound for Richmond. I changed the stopover tonight from southern NC to central Virginia to hopefully outrun the storm a bit.

Tomorrow about 9 or 10 am, head out again and finish up the trip, getting back to GSP exit 80 hopefully by 3-4 pm Friday afternoon.

My brother (somewhat accurately) points out that I'm an idiot for riding along side the northeast 'dirty' quadrant. But I guess in tracking the forecasts up the coast for the next two days, it looks like even I-95 gets spared the nasty conditions once you get north of Brunswick and certainly once into South Carolina.

We shall see. In any event, my judgment might be a bit impaired bc all I can see through my eyes is the bright and warm sunshine  sunny  flowing into my heart and soul from getting to spend the last few days with my parents and my brother and his family. So blessed to be turning 50 years old next March and to still have both of my parents here with me.

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

kalleg likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:31 am

Graybeard, thank you very much for the regards and concern and it looks like you beat me to my own punch so to speak. lol  

I think what is going to make my trip fairly bearable especially after this morning is that the 'recurve' back to the northeast is really bowing out to the west first, which of course moves the NE quadrant a bit more out of my way and it also should buy me a few more hours to get out of Dixie! But it is POURING right now and the 'heavy stuff' is yet to come!

I have changed my plans once already...now I'm thinking leave later today, not go to richmond but stop in central/northern NC and finish up a bit longer trip tomorrow...

I can actually cancel my Richmond booking for tonight through 6 pm today! Amazing...

*Edit* Just booked a room for tonight Wilson, NC, about 1.5 hours south of Virginia state line, also fully refundable before 6 pm tonight. What a hoot that is!!

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:52 am

GreyBeard wrote:
sroc4 wrote:

Thanks!

Was just reading over the tropics posts and I'll be danged if SENJ didn't hit the nail on the head with the exact dates that Nicole would be affecting the area. Hopefully he changed his plans and is either hunkered down riding it out, or is out ahead of it and out of harms way. Safe travels either way.

Sroc, it was a swing and a miss on your call, but in all fairness, this was 2 weeks ago. Too bad Mugsy didn't answer, he was right on the money at the time with that map. Nice call. You had this pegged all the way.

I think the saying is “even the sun shines on a dogs ass from time to time”. Lol. I think an approx 10% chance was a pretty accurate call given the lead time. I guess it balances out my left hook right on the jaw for Ian. 😉

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:54 am

sroc4 wrote:
GreyBeard wrote:
sroc4 wrote:

Thanks!

I think the saying is “even the sun shines on a dogs ass from time to time”. Lol. I think an approx 10% chance was a pretty accurate call given the lead time.  I guess it balances out my left hook right on the jaw for Ian. 😉

All good SROC. Actually, when you said that, I just figured that my 'luck' would likely go to work on that 10% and bring it back to full strength before all was said and done! lol

New travel plan- stay put for today and head out first thing in the AM, drive either to northern NC or hopefully up to Richmond tomorrow and then finish up Saturday morning. I think at worst, I'll get some nuisance rain, but probably avoid most or all the tropical conditions. I wasn't thrilled with the amounts of red/orange/yellow patches indicated by the radar for I-95 throughout the south today...and it was too much of a coordinated campaign by my brother, mother and sister-in-law to not drive today!

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:14 am

SENJsnowman wrote:
sroc4 wrote:
GreyBeard wrote:
sroc4 wrote:

Thanks!

I think the saying is “even the sun shines on a dogs ass from time to time”. Lol. I think an approx 10% chance was a pretty accurate call given the lead time.  I guess it balances out my left hook right on the jaw for Ian. 😉

All good SROC. Actually, when you said that, I just figured that my 'luck' would likely go to work on that 10% and bring it back to full strength before all was said and done! lol

New travel plan- stay put for today and head out first thing in the AM, drive either to northern NC or hopefully up to Richmond tomorrow and then finish up Saturday morning. I think at worst, I'll get some nuisance rain, but probably avoid most or all the tropical conditions. I wasn't thrilled with the amounts of red/orange/yellow patches indicated by the radar for I-95 throughout the south today...and it was too much of a coordinated campaign by my brother, mother and sister-in-law to not drive today!

Appreciate you snowman.  I'm just playing a more sarcastic defensive position here.  Meaning I hate to fail.  I kind of forgotten that I even made the statement to be honest.  As we started getting in closer I clearly saw that there was something amiss here but had been too busy to really delve into details let alone recall that I had made the original statement.  We all know fantasy storms, tropical and winter alike, show up in the LR and get pointed out all the time, but the reality is is they rarely pan out in that sort of lead time.  That said this one did.  And kudos to those who pointed it out.  There also is something to pattern recognition such that the pattern did look conducive to some kind of development even when looking at this two weeks ago and there were a few on this board and others in the weather weenie community who pointed it out.  I failed to really see it though.  

All this said regardless of when you travel take your time, enjoy the journey, and of course stay safe!

Scott

sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

SENJsnowman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:56 am

I'd say the tropics are done for the US for this year. Maybe another cyclone in the tropics but for us, no pun intended, I'd say we are cooked. Goes down as an underwhelming season to what was forecasted by many, me included. Love to read the why to the what now.

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:52 am

If I could just finish up my little travel saga, it looks like waiting a day is going to work out very well. For those who remember the old NFL Films, the idea is to create seal over here, and a seal over here, and to run the play …IN the alley!
Tropics - Page 19 Cf75f210

And what it would have looked like yesterday:
Tropics - Page 19 157a2210

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

sroc4 and kalleg like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:24 pm

SENJsnowman wrote:If I could just finish up my little travel saga, it looks like waiting a day is going to work out very well. For those who remember the old NFL Films, the idea is to create seal over here, and a seal over here, and to run the play …IN the alley!
Tropics - Page 19 Cf75f210

And what it would have looked like yesterday:
Tropics - Page 19 157a2210

The sound of John Madden just entered my ear.

sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down