NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

February 2014 General Observations / Discussions

+33
nutleyblizzard
Scullybutcher
algae888
cooladi
dkodgis
Joe Snow
HeresL
HectorO
sroc4
Dtone
Radz
skinsfan1177
Sparky Sparticles
Math23x7
katcar
Artechmetals
Dunnzoo
Quietace
Snow88
docstox12
SoulSingMG
CPcantmeasuresnow
oldtimer
essexcountypete
sabamfa
amugs
mako460
aiannone
SNOW MAN
tigernumba1
NjWeatherGuy
jmanley32
Frank_Wx
37 posters

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Go down

February 2014 General Observations / Discussions  - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2014 General Observations / Discussions

Post by mako460 Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:41 pm

Business Logistics and transportation?????? You wont need that when your hosting Good Morning America as the Meteorologist.

mako460
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

February 2014 General Observations / Discussions  - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2014 General Observations / Discussions

Post by amugs Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:13 pm

17* and clear skies - single digits tonight??

amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:14 pm

amugs wrote:17* and clear skies - single digits tonight??

My home weather station is currently reporting 8* and I freed it of snow and ice today, got to a high of 31.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by tigernumba1 Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:09 am

Absolutely incredible, Im at 70.2" of snow for the season! Thats just about 3 times above my normal snowfall for a whole winter season! What a winter, I love it! Hopefully we can get a few more good storms. I would like to see if I can reach 100" lol. That just sounds funny, 100" on LI.
tigernumba1
tigernumba1

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:29 am

It's going to get very cold again tomorrow night (plus snow) into Sunday. Everything will ice over. The sun feels great right now. Higher sun angle this time of year.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:12 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:It's going to get very cold again tomorrow night (plus snow) into Sunday. Everything will ice over. The sun feels great right now. Higher sun angle this time of year.

With that in mind, was very glad today to have that higher angle sun blasting away that 1/2 inch of solid ice from the sleet and FR last night.All the walk and driveway melted and dried.Thinking this 1 to 3 or 2 to 4 tomorrow will be powdery, I hope.

Anyway, next week the "Big Melt" begins.Need some room around here to put snow if we get more the end of Feb or early Mar.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:59 pm

I remember when I was on the old WABC 7-online chat board, after the January 26th-27th, 2011 storm, which put NYC at 56.1" for the 2010-11 season, there seemed to be lots of possibilities of accumulating snow over the following couple of weeks. But here's what happened to those potentials: 1/28, trace of snow. 1/29, trace of snow, 2/1-2/2, ice storm (but 1.6" of snow fell from it), 2/5, rain storm, 2/10, out to sea, then the following week a massive thaw (it got to 67 degrees 2/18). Then 2/21, we did get 3.2" from a quick moving system to put us at 60.9". But then 2/22, a snow event that slid to our south and missed us, 2/25, rain storm, 3/7-3/8, inland track, followed by warm up the following week (it got to 77 degrees on 3/18). Then cold air returned with recurring flurries between 3/21 and 4/1, but couldn't accumulate due to high sun angle, the exception was 3/24 as 1.0" fell overnight before almost all of it melted by the evening. So our snow total was 61.9". If you would have told me after that 1/26-1/27/11 snow storm that NYC would get less than 6" the rest of the season, I would have thought you were crazy. But it didn't, only 5.8" afterwards. The bottom line, you never know how it will turn out. We probably should get some snow accumulations tomorrow and may get some on Tuesday, but we'll see what happens. Just some food for thought.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:38 pm

Just a heads up to everyone that I won't be online tomorrow. Maybe a couple check in posts throughout the day. Working all morning into the afternoon then have a wedding tomorrow night. Enjoy the snow Smile

Will update the 18th storm on Sunday. Right now, expect 2-4 inches for that storm as well.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tigernumba1 Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:35 pm

How do I post a picture on here? thanks
tigernumba1
tigernumba1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sparticles Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:18 am

tigernumba1 wrote:How do I post a picture on here?

You need to know the picture's location. If it's on your computer, it's easy to find, but if it's on-line, first nab the url by right-clicking on it and hitting the "copy image location" link.

First click to start a new message or reply to one.

Look above in the editing window at the group of icons that have the YouTube icon in it.

If the graphic is on your computer, click the icon in the far left of that group. When you hover over the link it says "Host an image." When the box opens, direct it to the file on your computer and click to "host" it, which is basically an upload from your computer to the server.

If the image is on the Internet, click the box next to it, the one that looks like a monitor with a green circle in the lower right corner with a + in white. When that box opens, pop the url of the graphic that you copied into there and save.

That should do it.
Sparky Sparticles
Sparky Sparticles

Back to top Go down

Post by tigernumba1 Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:25 am

Sparky Sparticles wrote:
tigernumba1 wrote:How do I post a picture on here?

You need to know the picture's location. If it's on your computer, it's easy to find, but if it's on-line, first nab the url by right-clicking on it and hitting the "copy image location" link.

First click to start a new message or reply to one.

Look above in the editing window at the group of icons that have the YouTube icon in it.

If the graphic is on your computer, click the icon in the far left of that group. When you hover over the link it says "Host an image." When the box opens, direct it to the file on your computer and click to "host" it, which is basically an upload from your computer to the server.

If the image is on the Internet, click the box next to it, the one that looks like a monitor with a green circle in the lower right corner with a + in white. When that box opens, pop the url of the graphic that you copied into there and save.

That should do it.

Thanks so much Sparky!
tigernumba1
tigernumba1

Back to top Go down

Post by tigernumba1 Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:45 am

https://servimg.com/view/18746652/1

This is next to my mailbox. Thats 15 feet high! I've never seen it like that before
tigernumba1
tigernumba1

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:01 am

I have a question for the members on this forum. What kind of damage is going to be done to our snow pack with the warmer temperatures coming this week ? How much do you think we're going to lose ? I really enjoy looking at the thick blanket of white and hopefully we all can add to it in the next few weeks. It is an absolutely beautiful looking landscape to look at.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:22 am

SNOW MAN wrote:I have a question for the members on this forum. What kind of damage is going to be done to our snow pack with the warmer temperatures coming this week ? How much do you think we're going to lose ? I really enjoy looking at the thick blanket of white and hopefully we all can add to it in the next few weeks. It is an absolutely beautiful looking landscape to look at.
Probably take a decent chunk of it away, especially if we develop fog in the mornings.
People North and West in higher elevations that wont be as warm might keep much more of it.
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:32 am

Quietace wrote:
SNOW MAN wrote:I have a question for the members on this forum. What kind of damage is going to be done to our snow pack with the warmer temperatures coming this week ? How much do you think we're going to lose ? I really enjoy looking at the thick blanket of white and hopefully we all can add to it in the next few weeks. It is an absolutely beautiful looking landscape to look at.
Probably take a decent chunk of it away, especially if we develop fog in the mornings.
People North and West in higher elevations that wont be as warm might keep much more of it.

We got 50s, will melt a good amount away, to be honest I don't care that it melts because it's prevented me from walking around because it's too dang deep haha.

February 2014 General Observations / Discussions  - Page 4 Screen69
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:35 am

NjWeatherGuy wrote:
Quietace wrote:

We got 50s, will melt a good amount away, to be honest I don't care that it melts because it's prevented me from walking around because it's too dang deep haha.

I usually dont say this, but this year im totally ready for spring. Im done with the cold and snow. Give me severe weather and some warmth.
I think some one in the Phili area inland gets some 60s out of this also. The coast wont do it with the cold SST's.
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:39 am

Quietace wrote:
NjWeatherGuy wrote:
Quietace wrote:

I usually dont say this, but this year im totally ready for spring. Im done with the cold and snow. Give me severe weather and some warmth.
I think some one in the Phili area inland gets some 60s out of this also. The coast wont do it with the cold SST's.

Agree, I've been geared up for severe season for a while, I had no idea a tornado touched down 3 miles from me a couple years ago, found this on youtube yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj9yl5iKHqg

Was an EF0 or EF1 but still, wow! I could literally drive to this area in a couple minutes.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:41 am

It's been way too cold too, I never remember a winter that has been consistently so cold and snowy at the same time, it's to the point where it's wearing on me a bit. I need a warmup and some meltage then I'll be ready for maybe 1 more big storm. Then I want my warmth and spring to come on.
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:45 am

That just sucks ! Come on Nj and Ace you know once you get a little break, you'll be back in the hunt for a new storm to track and be hoping we get a good thump of snow from it.lol! Thanks guys I appreciate your input.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:51 am

SNOW MAN wrote:That just sucks ! Come on Nj and Ace you know once you get a little break, you'll be back in the hunt for a new storm to track and be hoping we get a good thump of snow from it.lol! Thanks guys I appreciate your input.

I don't know, since my snowblower broke I'm much less enthusiastic to clean it up, it's been doing a number on my back. I am definitely buying a beast for next season but right now everyone is sold out completely. I would prefer one of those Nor'easters that we haven't seen in a few years, a ton of rain and lots of wind, fun to track, no clean up required. Bad if you live in low lying areas though. I got 10" of rain from this storm, that continues to be my record.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/storms/04162007.html#graphic

NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky Sparticles Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:55 am

SNOW MAN wrote:How much do you think we're going to lose ?

I'm hoping to lose the majority of the 3'+ high ice & snow pile behind my diagonally parked car. It's that high because as neighbors on either side shoveled out behind *their* cars they piled it behind mine.  Evil or Very Mad That's on top of what the plow pushed there.

If it softens it enough then we can take turns shoveling the rest of it, but with hubby being a 6-month post-op CABG and me with my own heart and arthritis conditions, we can't do much, which is why neither car was cleared out in the first place.
Sparky Sparticles
Sparky Sparticles

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:03 pm

Nj have you looked online for a snow blower. Here are a few suggestions Wisesales.com, Speedwaysales.com, Brandnewengines.com, Toro.com and Amazon.com. most of these sights have no tax and free shipping.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:10 pm

SNOW MAN wrote:That just sucks ! Come on Nj and Ace you know once you get a little break, you'll be back in the hunt for a new storm to track and be hoping we get a good thump of snow from it.lol! Thanks guys I appreciate your input.
The reason i love living in the Northeast is because their are 4 different seasons. I love each of them equally. But i have had my snow and im ready for some Spring. After the early March cold (which i hope we get some snow in so i can hit 60 inches this year), i really hope we torch into the 60s with a early spring warmth.  Spring soccer season is just a few weeks around the corner for me and we are already practicing outside, and i hate playing in the cold. So maybe that's were my bias comes in.
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:11 pm

NjWeatherGuy wrote:

I don't know, since my snowblower broke I'm much less enthusiastic to clean it up, it's been doing a number on my back. I am definitely buying a beast for next season but right now everyone is sold out completely. I would prefer one of those Nor'easters that we haven't seen in a few years, a ton of rain and lots of wind, fun to track, no clean up required. Bad if you live in low lying areas though. I got 10" of rain from this storm, that continues to be my record.

Get serious Tom, with the snowpack we all have right now that would be a disaster.

You're just fatigued from this like I was yesterday morning. Your enthusiasm will come back, mine already has. Of course I am starting to hear of roof collapses in the HV and that isn't good.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:13 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
NjWeatherGuy wrote:

Get serious Tom, with the snowpack we all have right now that would be a disaster.

You're just fatigued from this like I was yesterday morning.  Your enthusiasm will come back, mine already has. Of course I am starting to hear of roof collapses in the HV and that isn't good.
We do have to worry about a quick melting of the snow allowing for rivers to rise quickly and have some flooding especially with the large snow pack we have. We have to watch if we get any rain during the week also. Would not be good for some people.
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:31 pm

Guys - Ace and Tom - like I said yesterday - winter fatigue from the snow and cold and let's not to mention sleepless nights tracking. Take a day off and a deep breath go out and enjoy nature's beauty and get ready to reload next week - this week will be a nice break for those of you who are suffering from the "Winter Blues" - I love this SH&* - snow and cold!!

Tom we saw cold like this in 93-94 if not colder!

Ace - March I have a feeling is going to be a lion and spring for you at the shore is going to be colder especially with how cold the SST's are - winds come off the ocean oh boy!!Playing soccer in body suits that the speed skaters would wear!

Listen even Dr. Nye the science guy was on this morning on channel 4 meet the press and discussed how the weather is getting more severe, frequent storms and more severe and the domino affect it is having on our economies and lifestyle to some degree. Channel 4 with David Gregory - talks about the Global Warming - not going there people but interesting.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Let's not go their on global warming Mugs, because I don't agree with Bill Nye. But I agree, especially with the MJO going Into a much favorable phase for late feb early March and the telleconmections being more favorable, I also think we get our fair share of systems.
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum