NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wx Banter Thread 2.0

+37
Snowfall
frank 638
oldtimer
NYCSNOWMAN2020
chief7
Radz
sabamfa
toad strangler
aiannone
UnionWX
algae888
RJB8525
dkodgis
CPcantmeasuresnow
skinsfan1177
HectorO
Grselig
NjWeatherGuy
devsman
weatherwatchermom
jimv45
Taffy
GreyBeard
Math23x7
snow247
rb924119
jmanley32
billg315
Snow88
nutleyblizzard
Dunnzoo
docstox12
Dtone
Frank_Wx
Quietace
sroc4
amugs
41 posters

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 35 Empty Re: Wx Banter Thread 2.0

Post by frank 638 Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:04 pm

What a joke I checked out AccuWeather extended forecast for Feb 14 it shows wind sleet and ice for day and night yeah OK

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by RJB8525 Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:08 pm

at least today actually felt like winter and wasn't 50+ degrees

RJB8525
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:10 pm

RJB8525 wrote:at least today actually felt like winter and wasn't 50+ degrees

Today marked the second day in a row of below average temperatures after 34 consecutive days of above average, many of them well above average. Of course starting tomorrow it looks like we go above normal again for several days. These are the times that try men's souls.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:42 pm

jmanley32 wrote:I know one thing is likely with this kind of winter and projections already coming out the atlantic tropical season is going to be crazy 2016.
How active was summer of 2012? Because that winter of 11/12 was trash. Was that the year of Sandy?
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:08 pm

We had hurricane Irene in aug  2011 then in Oct 2012 we had sandy right after sandy in first week of Nov 2012 we had a snowstorm

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:30 pm

this is as  bad as it gets. forums in the s/e are giggidy over next weeks pattern. while we probably stay cold and dry places like northern Alabama, miss. and Georgia could see accumulating snow before us. last year boston this year atlanta? come on!!!! Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by algae888 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:39 pm

Is this true about El Nino.As we move into the New Year, it looks like El Niño is set to get worse,according to NASA, as the weather system is still growing. The strong winds currently going from the western to eastern Pacific that are driving El Niño are showing no signs of waning, with other data on ocean surface temperatures suggesting that it still hasn’t reached its peak yet. The weather system has been implicated in the fires that have spread across much of Indonesia, the floods that have hit large parts of South America, and the Indian heat wave, all seen in 2015.
Researchers are expecting the effects of the system to hit the United States over the next few months, ushering in a period of cool and wet conditions in the southern U.S., while things could be turning warmer and drier over the north of the country. These predictions are based on the last massive El Niño to have occurred back in 1997. The development of the current event bearsa striking resemblance to that which occurred 19 years ago, which created a dramatic ice storm over New England and caused chaos along the Gulf Coast.
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:39 pm

the gfs and euro both have a gom low next thurs with plenty cold air in the deep south...
Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 35 Gfs_namer_219_850_temp_mslp_precip
maybe we should take a trip to the gulf coast next week.lol
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:42 pm

skinsfan1177 wrote:Is this true about El Nino.As we move into the New Year, it looks like El Niño is set to get worse,according to NASA, as the weather system is still growing. The strong winds currently going from the western to eastern Pacific that are driving El Niño are showing no signs of waning, with other data on ocean surface temperatures suggesting that it still hasn’t reached its peak yet. The weather system has been implicated in the fires that have spread across much of Indonesia, the floods that have hit large parts of South America, and the Indian heat wave, all seen in 2015.
Researchers are expecting the effects of the system to hit the United States over the next few months, ushering in a period of cool and wet conditions in the southern U.S., while things could be turning warmer and drier over the north of the country. These predictions are based on the last massive El Niño to have occurred back in 1997. The development of the current event bearsa striking resemblance to that which occurred 19 years ago, which created a dramatic ice storm over New England and caused chaos along the Gulf Coast.
I would love to see the data they use but clearly el-nino has peaked probably more than a month ago as all regions have cooled or stay the same since early-mid december
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:17 pm

skinsfan1177 wrote:Is this true about El Nino.As we move into the New Year, it looks like El Niño is set to get worse,according to NASA, as the weather system is still growing. The strong winds currently going from the western to eastern Pacific that are driving El Niño are showing no signs of waning, with other data on ocean surface temperatures suggesting that it still hasn’t reached its peak yet. The weather system has been implicated in the fires that have spread across much of Indonesia, the floods that have hit large parts of South America, and the Indian heat wave, all seen in 2015.

This is false in my opinion this bad boy is collapsing hard from east to west. Gov't conspiracy here for the GW's

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:47 pm

amugs wrote:

This is false in my opinion this bad boy is collapsing hard from east to west. Gov't conspiracy here for the GW's

I agree mugs but a buddy sent me it after I told him it was declining
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by RJB8525 Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:50 pm

For what its worth, Bill Evans and Lee were talking about they are keeping an eye on the middle/end of next week possible system
RJB8525
RJB8525
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:51 pm

NASA article is wrong. We posted in the LR thread yesterday showing Region 1+2 cooling.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:12 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:NASA article is wrong. We posted in the LR thread yesterday showing Region 1+2 cooling.

Agreed Frank it's amazing how articles are decieving
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:37 pm

Somehow we need to get through this 1st half of the month.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:05 pm

20 years ago on Jan 6 till the 7 of 1996 we had a blizzard .
I was 12 years old while this happenand I remember specially at night the wind the whiteout conditions and the snow drifts were  unbelievable snow came down so fast that every time a snowplow came the roads  would get snow covered again.the next morning on Monday the snow was still coming down did not let up till early afternoon NYC public schools were closed for first time in years by time the snow stopped Central Park received 20 inches but Staten Island and Bronx received 30 inches I will never forget that storm

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:20 pm

I feel like part of the problem with these El Nino stories is that often times the people writing them don't really understand what El Nino is. So they take data or information put out there by climatologists/meteorologists and explain it and what it means poorly. Every time I read a story about El Nino written by somebody in the media without a weather background, they describe it as if they're talking about a storm system or a weather system of some sort as opposed to what it is: a warming of ocean temperatures having an impact on the surrounding weather patterns. Look at that above story. It describes it as a "weather system." I don't view El Nino as a "weather system." I view it as an anomaly in Pacific Ocean temperatures AFFECTING the development and movement of "weather systems." If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:11 pm

frank 638 wrote:20 years ago on Jan 6 till the 7 of 1996 we had a blizzard .
I was 12 years old while this happenand I remember specially at night the wind the whiteout conditions and the snow drifts were  unbelievable snow came down so fast that every time a snowplow came the roads  would get snow covered again.the next morning on Monday the snow was still coming down did not let up till early afternoon NYC public schools were closed for first time in years by time the snow stopped Central Park received 20 inches but Staten Island and Bronx received 30 inches I will never forget that storm

Central Park had about 27 inches. It was just recorded as 20.2 by the incompetent buffoons that measured snow at the time in the Central Park Zoo. Now the conservancy will be measuring so I'm sure everything will be accurate. Rolls eyes sarcastically.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:27 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

Central Park had about 27 inches. It was just recorded as 20.2 by the incompetent buffoons that measured snow at the time in the Central Park Zoo. Now the conservancy will be measuring so I'm sure everything will be accurate. Rolls eyes sarcastically.

Great STATEWIDE snowstorm instead of these friggin' coastal hugger Juno types recently.

And,yes CP, notice how the curse of the Zookeeper just keeps on keepin' on.Ever since they switched to the conservancy, not ONE FLAKE of mneasurable snow around here.I think we are all going to start blaming you for the lack of snow because your campaign to unseat the Zookeeper finally work but now his snowless curse has us all howling at the moon,LOL.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:52 am

That dam zookeeper lol

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:12 am

frank 638, that was a classic and can't believe 20 years has gone by.The year of '95-96 was the best year for snow around these parts, just the perfect pattern, one snowstorm after another all winter.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:10 am

docstox12 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

Great STATEWIDE snowstorm instead of these friggin' coastal hugger Juno types recently.

And,yes CP, notice how the curse of the Zookeeper just keeps on keepin' on.Ever since they switched to the conservancy, not ONE FLAKE of mneasurable snow around here.I think we are all going to start blaming you for the lack of snow because your campaign to unseat the Zookeeper finally work but now his snowless curse has us all howling at the moon,LOL.

So now that we supposedly have the measurement issues fixed with the Conservancy watch NYC go through their first winter in recorded history without measurable snow. Should it happen Doc I accept full blame and will ban myself from posting on this forum from April 15th through October 15th. I could also blame you Doc for changing the OTI opening from October 15th to October 1. This is the latest in my 54 years of living in the area that I have not seen at least a 1 inch snowfall by now. 34 straight days of above normal temperatures and the News media is treating 2 days of below normal like the end of the world, and the 2 day streak will end today in NYC.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:14 am

Reading on a lot of other sites saying rain which we know in next storm. But bigger issue LR saying cold but dry
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Radz Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:36 am

That was an awesome storm, one of my all time favorites. Was living in Yonkers at the time, renting an apartment so my only shoveling was digging out the car (which took hrs lol) - would love another this year!
Radz
Radz
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:43 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
docstox12 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

So now that we supposedly have the measurement issues fixed with the Conservancy watch NYC go through their first winter in recorded history without measurable snow. Should it happen Doc I accept full blame and will ban myself from posting on this forum from April 15th through October 15th. I could also blame you Doc for changing the OTI opening from October 15th to October 1. This is the latest in my 54 years of living in the area that I have not seen at least a 1 inch snowfall by now. 34 straight days of above normal temperatures and the News media is treating 2 days of below normal like the end of the world, and the 2 day streak will end today in NYC.

You're right CP.I also have another confession to make as long as we are coming clean on this issue.I marked one of our fenceposts in 6 inch increments with black tape up to 36 inches as a handy guide in reporting snow measurements.If I ever live long enought to figure out how to post a picture, I'll show you. Mea Culpa, GULP!!!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:51 am

Doc, see the tutorial about how to post a picture. It was posted for me I think because I asked. I think it is in the off topic area. CP-I have been on the board for two years and I only realized about a month ago what your user name meant. Funny. I am slow on the uptake.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:24 am

Yep, awesome storm, on my BIRTHDAY! My boys were 4 and 2 and we were snowed in for 3 days since my husband and I had to dig out 3 ft. of snow from 100' of sidewalk, 100' of driveway(double at the garage) and 75' of front walk!

Wx Banter Thread 2.0 - Page 35 Blizza10

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"