NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fishing thread

+5
nofoboater
sroc4
Frank_Wx
Dunnzoo
docstox12
9 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Fishing thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Fishing thread

Post by docstox12 Mon May 12, 2014 5:01 pm

Nofo, weather horrible for trout lately.Too much rain, rivers running high.Did manage to get out almost a month ago to the Ramapo River but got skunked in the same spot last year I got at least 30.Go figure.

Buying a new battery for my electric motor on the small bass boat and am targeting next Monday to register at Seven lakes.Going to be my last season with my beloved little bass boat, arthritic knees too shaky and unsteady and I'm always alone. My Fiancee and elderly Mom are in a panic but I promised this is the last season.Had 18 wonderful seasons and caught hundreds of fish , some really nice.Next season, shore fishing only unless I buddy up with a guy with a boat up here.

Good luck whatever you wind up doing.Don't know much about saltwater but figured everything would be a month late after that brutal winter.

Tight lines and LGM tonight.

docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Mon May 19, 2014 6:59 am

Hey Doc, I went down to my dock and casted for about an hour, nothing. Did the proverbial, "one last cast", and bang. 21" skoolie. Caught and released 3 shorts in a row on a small tin. Nothing to write home about but at least I wiped the dust of the reel.

I heard that the weakfish tournament was a bust. Too windy and not enough time. If I had the gumption, I would tell the powers that be to push the tournament back to the first weekend in June. Spring fishing out here for the past 10 years has been too fickle weather wise.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon May 19, 2014 9:21 am

Nofo, fantastic! Nothing like banging them on a lure. Great "one last cast".

Hate wind when I go fishing with my little bass boat.You blow around everywhere and your casts are all screwed up.Was going to register today and take the boat out but 14 MPH NW winds and still friggin' chilly up here. Ugh. When on God's green earth will it warm up already.

Beaverkill Trout out of the picture.River is raging after last weeks deluge. Haven't cast a line in over a month.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Mon May 19, 2014 10:03 am

It sure seems as though the springs are shorter and shorter

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Wed May 28, 2014 7:47 am

Got out on the boat but unfortunately didn't do any fishing. I'm told that there are big blues in the bays and some fluke in the lawns and Greenport Harbor. Maybe next week we'll get over there. East winds all week this week, too snotty for my liking.
Interesting story, the guy that docks next to me was going to the lawns the other day, untied his boat, barely got his engines running, saw a swirl, took one cast and reeled in a 15 lb striper on a bucktail not even 6 feet off the dock. Talk about luck.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed May 28, 2014 8:13 pm

Those dock stories are hilarious.Got a few for you.I've been fishing nearly 40 years Lake Wallenpaupack in PA.As a group, we've probably boated thousands of miles but just off my buddies dock there was a 21 inch Rainbow Trout, 3 or 4 10 plus pound Catfish, a Northern Pike around 25 inches. Why spend money on a friggin' boat,LOL.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:46 am

Finally took the little bass boat out to Green Turtle Pond, a small lake in West Milford NJ.Gorgeous morning.Got 4 largemouth, 12, 13, 16 and 17 inches.Gary Yammamoto 5 inch Wacky Rig worm.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:54 am

Good stuff Doc, glad you had a productive outing last week.

Last week we went and fished for fluke from Robins South race to Jessups to the Lawns and in front of Claudio's. 10 hour day, used everything from squid to spearing and jelly worms. Got two shorts 15" and 17", a couple of sea robins and a small blue. Pretty ironic considering the reports were that they were killing fluke in those areas just a day or two earlier. The only thing I can think of was the winds were howling out of the northwest at 15mph sustained, choppy seas, hard to hold the bottom yet great drifts worked both tides. All well, a bad day of fishing sure beats a good day of work!
Hopefully better luck in a week or two as it's time to fish Shinnecock now.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:10 pm

You're right, Nofo, fishing changes day to day with weather conditions.Sounds like a cold front may have passed with that NW wind.That always shuts down the bass.Guess that's what makes it interesting, you'd be bored if you killed them everyday.

Hey, at least you didn't get skunked.I've had that privelege many times the last 20 years.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:29 am

Doc, I could probably think of 20 cliche's when it comes to fishing and yes, more often then not I've been skunked too. That's why they call it "fishing" and not "catching", haha

Drifted the outgoing last night in Peconic Bay, pulled up two short fluke and numerous hits. I would think that this is their swan song for the Peconics and they'll be off to deeper waters with the bay temps warming considerably this week.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:06 pm

Went to Harriman Seven Lakes today to beautiful Lake Tiorati (Lake of the Sky).Native Americans just nail it describing places with their beautiful language.

Anyhoo, fished all along the shady shore with my Yamammoto 5 inch Wacky Rig worm and got 3 sardines, a 6 inch Perch and a 4 and 6 inch Largemouth.Had much better luck trolling a three inch sinking Rapala Perch colored.Got a 20 inch Pickerel and a 14 inch Largemouth.

Just beautiful weather today.Friday supposed to be good.Will try Lake Welch up there and report back if I go.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:24 pm

Good stuff!

Hey Doc, do you keep and cook any of those fish or mostly catch and release?

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:45 pm

Nofo, all catch and release.I read a study years ago that most of the lakes around here had high levels of mercury for some reason.The Ramapo River for trout I don't trust...lot's of chemicals from lawns and septic tanks.The Beaverkill in Roscoe NY is strictly catch and release.That covers everywhere I go.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:38 am

Makes sense Doc. I believe in moderation with the saltwater fish regardless if they are local or imported, but that's another discussion.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:05 pm

Got to Lake Welch in Harriman Lakes.Cloudy start but gradually cleared up into a gorgeous, summer day.Got two small bass, a Smallie and a Largemouth on the wacky rig and a nice size Pumpkinseed trolling with the three inch Perch Rapala.Hooked on to something good but it broke me off at the boat.Thinking it may have been a Pickerel with those razor sharp teeth.

On to Blue Lake if the weather co-operates Monday.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:57 am

Went to Blue Lake in the Sterling Lake portion of Harriman Park.

Finally had a good day fishing around the shore with a 5 inch Yammamoto Wacky Rig worm.

3 Largemouth Bass, 14, 15 and 16 inches.Lot's of fun, they all fought hard.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:37 pm

Good catches Doc. How many pound test do you use for those large mouth?

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by mako460 Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:30 pm

Hey doc and Nofo, my buddy got a 255 lb. Thresher on Saturday, 25 miles SE of Rockaway inlet. It was 8 and 1/2 feet long and the tail measured 82 inches. Pretty damn nice!

mako460
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:35 pm

mako, that's a nice fish. I understand that they are edible? I read that there was a baby Great White caught near there not too long ago. I have never shark fished. Never really fished more than 10 miles offshore. I do plan to go tuna fishing some time though.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:37 pm

nofoboater wrote:Good catches Doc. How many pound test do you use for those large mouth?

Nofo, I use 8 pound Berkely Trilene XL with a very light drag on a 5 foot 3 medium light Fenwick one piece rod..Bass over 18 inches will snap the line quick on you if your drag is too heavy.The small rod with lighter action makes it a lot of fun when you hook into a 19 or 20 incher.

Last edited by docstox12 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:38 pm

mako460 wrote:Hey doc and Nofo, my buddy got a 255 lb. Thresher on Saturday, 25 miles SE of Rockaway inlet.  It was 8 and 1/2 feet long and the tail measured 82 inches.  Pretty damn nice!

Wow, what a catch! Congrats to your pal.He'll be telling his Grandkids about that one.Thanks for reporting to us, Mako!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:06 pm

Went to Lake Skannatati in the Harriman Park area.Lot's of action today.Nothing real big, but got 11 Largemouth Bass ranging from 6 to 12 inches.A ten incher and two twelve's were the ones on the better side.All on 5 inch Yammamoto wacky rig 5 inch worm.No luck trolling a Rapala.Beautiful morning.Bittersweet for me as this will be my last run on that lake with my small bass boat.Have to give it up at the end of the season due to worsening arthritis in both my knees.Already took one header getting in the boat on shore when my knee gave out.Maybe "Skannatati" means "old man with bum knees", LOL! Going strictly to shore fishing next season.

Heading out to Lake Wallenpaupack PA this weekend. Will see what happens out there.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:54 am

Spent Sat and Sun at lake Wallenpaupack in Pa with buddies, fishing, beer , cigars, poker......kinda like heaven on Earth, LOL.

Caught 2 Largemiouth Bass 14 and 16 inch and a Pickerel, 20 inches on pumpkinseed 5 inch Yammamoto Wacky Rig.A buddy got a beautiful 19 inch Smallmouth bass, a gorgeous copper-brown color.19 inches is a beast for that species.It was a pleasure to measure it up.One buddy trolling a 6 inch silver/black triple treble hook lure nailed TWO smallies at the same time, 17 and 14 inches.Bizarre happenings.In the poker game, buddy was dealt up FOUR 9's in 7 card hi-lo! Saw about 3 or 4 trip 9 hands!I beat out two other buddies in 5 card high low with a straight to the 6 while my buddy had a straight to the 5. Won about 20 bucks in our nickel, dime, quarter games.Bizarre!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:42 pm

docstox12 wrote:Spent Sat and Sun at lake Wallenpaupack in Pa with buddies, fishing, beer , cigars, poker......kinda like heaven on Earth, LOL.

Caught 2 Largemiouth Bass 14 and 16 inch and a Pickerel, 20 inches on pumpkinseed 5 inch Yammamoto Wacky Rig.A buddy got a beautiful 19 inch Smallmouth bass, a gorgeous copper-brown color.19 inches is a beast for that species.It was a pleasure to measure it up.One buddy trolling a 6 inch silver/black triple treble hook lure nailed TWO smallies at the same time, 17 and 14 inches.Bizarre happenings.In the poker game, buddy was dealt up FOUR 9's in 7 card hi-lo! Saw about 3 or 4 trip 9 hands!I beat out two other buddies in 5 card high low with a straight to the 6 while my buddy had a straight to the 5. Won about 20 bucks in our nickel, dime, quarter games.Bizarre!

Hey Doc,

Fishing, beer, cigars, poker??? Sounds like my kind of outing!
Work as been busy and other then that just lots of family things, a little boating and no fishing. The guy that dock's next to me went out to Fishers and the Gull's and points in between last week. Tried all sorts of clams, poppers, umbrellas, nothing. For my money (fuel) I would've opted to head to Shinnecock Bay and the ocean, although the ocean has been super snotty until about a week ago. It's been very windy this year.

Good Fishing to you

Cheers, Nofo

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:39 am

Yep, hate the wind when fishing in a boat.

Got to Blue Lake again.Got one nice largemouth about 14 inches and three or four small ones all on the wacky rig.Latrgemouths are very cagey when hitting those wacky worms.You've got to watch the line for movement as you don't feel them hitting it.Tricky when they move right towards you as you reel in.You need a lot of experience with the technique.It's a great lure for bass.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nofoboater Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:31 pm

Hey Doc,
Still haven't done much fishing besides a little snapper fishing in the river with the kids.
I'm told that they are killing Sea Bass in Shinnecock Bay and about mile out into the Ocean. That's one delicious fish. Once I get caught up with work, I'll have to get out and try some, they're hitting hi-lo rigs on clams.

nofoboater

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:01 pm

Yep, Nofo, Sea bass are tasty fish.Hope you can get out and catch some.

Did a couple of local lake trips the last few weeks.Caught mostly small bass but got a 12 incher at Lake Tiorati.August is slow.They get active late Sept-early Oct when the cool weather turns them on feeding for winter.

Tight lines!

By the way, looks like the heaviest rain missed you out there just like here in Mahwah NJ.No more than 1/2 inch.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum