NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wx Banter Thread 3.0

+44
sabamfa
kalleg
skinsfan1177
Radz
deblanka
GreyBeard
Quietace
Joe Snow
aiannone
oldtimer
Sanchize06
bobjohnsonforthehall
mwilli5783
richb521
gigs68
essexcountypete
WeatherBob
SENJsnowman
dad4twoboys
amugs
Dtone
Taffy
Scullybutcher
Dunnzoo
brownie
weatherwatchermom
SNOW MAN
jimv45
RJB8525
nutleyblizzard
billg315
jmanley32
dkodgis
frank 638
algae888
docstox12
Grselig
Math23x7
rb924119
sroc4
CPcantmeasuresnow
Nyi1058
mikeypizano
Frank_Wx
48 posters

Page 20 of 38 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 29 ... 38  Next

Go down

Wx Banter Thread 3.0 - Page 20 Empty Re: Wx Banter Thread 3.0

Post by billg315 Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:31 pm

syosnow94 wrote:
billg315 wrote:
rb924119 wrote:I have happened to notice a few name tag alterations this evening....wasn't quite sure what the purple was. I now know. Congratulations on your promotions guys!!!! Well earned, and well deserved!!!

Thanks man, much appreciated. Very Happy

Oh crap. Our OTI judge and jury is now a moderator and can censor content. Fantastic.
On the bright side I just bumped you to 120 so you’ve taken the lead. Wink

billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:38 pm

Hey now. Judges are supposed to be impartial. None of this showing Like preferences.

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:43 pm

TheAresian wrote:Hey now. Judges are supposed to be impartial. None of this showing Like preferences.
Good point. Now that the race between Syos and CP is a nail biter I may have to refrain from “Likes” lest I be called upon to rule on any hanging chads.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:04 pm

I sell likes for bitcoin...
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:13 am

A nice, short video of an eagle in the snowstorm in PA getting covered with snow while protecting her egg:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/videos/eagle-protecting-egg-perseveres-as-snowfall-buries-it-during-noreaster/xhctnyzte6jqpvfvmidgn1x4mgl8wayj
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:37 pm

dkodgis wrote:A nice, short video of an eagle in the snowstorm in PA getting covered with snow while protecting her egg:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/videos/eagle-protecting-egg-perseveres-as-snowfall-buries-it-during-noreaster/xhctnyzte6jqpvfvmidgn1x4mgl8wayj

Damian:

I answered your PM about an hour ago. Let me know if you received it.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:49 pm

Yes, got it. Answered.

A bear was just in my backwoods. Wow! Maybe he did not get the memo about the snow next weekend.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:52 pm

dkodgis wrote:
A bear was just in my backwoods.  Wow! Maybe he did not get the memo about the snow next weekend.

Maybe you can answer that age old question, Does a bear sh!t in the woods? scratch

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Scullybutcher Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:38 pm

I love Joe Cioffi. That being said he just defended @crankyweatherguy on his FB broadcast tonight. I just saw a clip, waiting for it to finish so I can watch from start to finish. I do respect them for doing the post storm analysis.
Scullybutcher
Scullybutcher
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Location : North Smithtown, western Suffolk county, long island

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:39 pm

Scullybutcher wrote:I love Joe Cioffi. That being said he just defended @crankyweatherguy on his FB broadcast tonight. I just saw a clip, waiting for it to finish so I can watch from start to finish. I do respect them for doing the post storm analysis.

Anyone defending that guy loses ALL CREDIBILITY PERIOD! Even if Paul Kocin himself defejded him he’d be fine in my book.

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:37 am

GreyBeard wrote:
dkodgis wrote:
A bear was just in my backwoods.  Wow! Maybe he did not get the memo about the snow next weekend.

Maybe you can answer that age old question, Does a bear sh!t in the woods? scratch

Sometimes. But the bears at my house seem to shit on my lawn quite a bit. I should know because I have to clean it up. UGH ! I've been seeing bears on my property through out the Winter. Even in the beginning of January when it was bitter cold I've seen them roaming around usually at night. Thank god for security cameras and motion detector alarms which we have mounted on trees around our property. It's usually the same one because he has a Game Commission tag in his ear. My wife and I have watched him and his brother go from cubs to adults. My wife calls him Bear Bear and of course his Mothers name is Mama. His Mother (we know it's his Mother because she has a GPS radio collar and a tag in each one of her ears) is tending to two new cubs which she had last year. They take care of their cubs for two years and then send them out on their own. I've actually seen her chase her off spring Bear Bear out of her territory when she comes passing through and he's eating whatever bird seed has fallen to the ground. I guess when it comes to food family doesn't matter. lol
  At one time we had at least eight bears coming through our property. Some have disappeared I guess from hunting. I was told from the Game commission that females and cubs hibernate through the whole Winter, but males will roam through out the Winter depending on the weather conditions and then go back to hibernation. I had a bear that weighed at least 800 lbs. coming through on and off. He was definitely an old timer. Unfortunately I haven't seen him in a while. I guess either the hunters got him or old age did him in. I guess you can tell that I love animals.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:32 am

SNOW MAN wrote:
GreyBeard wrote:
dkodgis wrote:

Sometimes. But the bears at my house seem to shit on my lawn quite a bit. I should know because I have to clean it up. UGH ! I've been seeing bears on my property through out the Winter. Even in the beginning of January when it was bitter cold I've seen them roaming around usually at night. Thank god for security cameras and motion detector alarms which we have mounted on trees around our property. It's usually the same one because he has a Game Commission tag in his ear. My wife and I have watched him and his brother go from cubs to adults. My wife calls him Bear Bear and of course his Mothers name is Mama. His Mother (we know it's his Mother because she has a GPS radio collar and a tag in each one of her ears) is tending to two new cubs which she had last year. They take care of their cubs for two years and then send them out on their own. I've actually seen her chase her off spring Bear Bear out of her territory when she comes passing through and he's eating whatever bird seed has fallen to the ground. I guess when it comes to food family doesn't matter. lol
  At one time we had at least eight bears coming through our property. Some have disappeared I guess from hunting. I was told from the Game commission that females and cubs hibernate through the whole Winter, but males will roam through out the Winter depending on the weather conditions and then go back to hibernation. I had a bear that weighed at least 800 lbs. coming through on and off. He was definitely an old timer. Unfortunately I haven't seen him in a while. I guess either the hunters got him or old age did him in. I guess you can tell that I love animals.
That is awesome that not only do you get to observe the bears but have learned and can observe their family structure and how they interact. Pretty cool. (That said if I had a family of bears close to my house - I’d be pretty uncomfortable, haha. Of course if I had a family of bears behind my house they’d take up my entire yard so it’s not likely. lol)
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:02 am

If I had a family of bears behind my house, I'd never leave. Ever since that movie about the idiot that spent his summers in Alaska only to become a snack (Grizzly Man or some such thing. I know the guy's name was Timothy Treadwell), I've started looking at Yogi and Boo Boo a little sideways. Ranger Smith has no idea how much danger he's truly in.

Back to top Go down

Post by WeatherBob Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:08 pm

If some people on here were to do a live weather broadcast it would go like this:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/22/charming-kindergartners-weather-forecast-goes-viral.html
WeatherBob
WeatherBob
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:12 pm

That was sweet. Kid has chops!
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:46 pm

I’ll be driving home tomorrow from my parents up in Ulster. If any of our northern members are looking to meet up for a quick hello and drink I plan on taking the Thruway to the Tappan Zee to the sprain to the Bronx river. If it’s on my way illl stop

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:21 pm

Orange snow in eastern Russia. It appears to be Saharan sand mixed with the snow.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43533804
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by deblanka Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:58 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/national/snow-accumulation/

deblanka

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:35 pm

jmanley32 wrote:I'll check in on the 5th as we know this yr nothing has really shown till 48 hrs or less.

Well, since you will obviously be doing some driving, and since it would probably have high winds, I have a feeling you will check in for the potential April snowstorm. Razz

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:43 am

Math23x7 wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:I'll check in on the 5th as we know this yr nothing has really shown till 48 hrs or less.

Well, since you will obviously be doing some driving, and since it would probably have high winds, I have a feeling you will check in for the potential April snowstorm. Razz

Math being funny and not a negative warmiccist. Nice Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:19 pm

syosnow94 wrote:
Math23x7 wrote:

Math being funny and not a negative warmiccist.  Nice Wink
Will be keeping my plans to travel on 3rd and 4th no matter what!!! I intend to enjoy my week off. Yes of course I am checking in, just do not believe it will snow near the coast, very very rare in april. Ding here come the stats lol
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:53 pm

jmanley32 wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:
Math23x7 wrote:

Math being funny and not a negative warmiccist.  Nice Wink
Will be keeping my plans to travel on 3rd and 4th no matter what!!! I intend to enjoy my week off.  Yes of course I am checking in, just do not believe it will snow near the coast, very very rare in april. Ding here come the stats lol

I’ll be back on Friday jman I’ll have the stats for you then. LOL.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:04 am

For all you "warm" weather lovers, I hope you are happy now. The real crime of spring. Beautiful hopeful snowmen. Murdered. Melted. Yes dead snowmen.

Wx Banter Thread 3.0 - Page 20 Img_5110
Wx Banter Thread 3.0 - Page 20 Img_5010
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:11 am

Ah, late March rain is falling in New Hampshire. I am sitting at my home office looking out the window as Lake Winnipesaukee's ice melts, all while reading Whittaker and Horn (1981). Life is good as summer approaches, and graduation gets closer.
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:25 am

Fitting reading coming out of the March North American cyclogenesis maximum period. (Yeah I cheated - google. Lol).
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:30 am

billg315 wrote:Fitting reading coming out of the March North American cyclogenesis maximum period. (Yeah I cheated - google. Lol).
We have weekly Journal Article discussions in our Synoptic II class. Dr. Eric Hoffman picked that one for this coming week specifically for that reason, so good find.
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:33 am

It looks interesting actually. Now that I’ve stumbled upon it I sort of want to check it out. Only problem with some of those books is I often don’t have the basic mathematical/scientific expertise to keep up, so I tend to lean toward the ones that speak - at least in part - in layman’s terms.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 38 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 29 ... 38  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum