NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0

+46
Angela0621
Carvin
SoulSingMG
Irish
Joe Snow
lglickman1
RJB8525
ruggerij
adamfitz1969
Taffy
mako460
Math23x7
Scullybutcher
Quietace
algae888
dkodgis
essexcountypete
Vinnydula
JackShephard
skinsfan1177
brownie
nutleyblizzard
aiannone
crippo84
frank 638
weatherwatchermom
Grselig
amugs
rb924119
heehaw453
docstox12
SENJsnowman
Wheezer
jimv45
billg315
jmanley32
mikeypizano
hyde345
CPcantmeasuresnow
mwilli5783
Frank_Wx
HectorO
Radz
GreyBeard
Dunnzoo
sroc4
50 posters

Page 24 of 36 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 30 ... 36  Next

Go down

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0 - Page 24 Empty Re: The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:40 am

Bored.

Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0 - Page 24 Empty Re: The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0

Post by billg315 Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:04 am

Ditto.

billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RJB8525 Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:19 am

maybe 2"? hard to tell it's all crystallized this morning. made a mistake not cleaning last night. bring on the cold front i'm ready for it especially since i see next M T and Wednesday 50s and rain showers

also just noticed TWC and WU have me for 1-3" today lol we'll see.
RJB8525
RJB8525
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:30 am

Frank_Wx wrote:Bored.
sad
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by nutleyblizzard Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:25 am

Take a number Frank. I was playing solitare Saturday night. This snowless winter is starting to border on historical proportions. There has been only 4 times since records have been kept where Central Park has recorded 4 inches or less of snow from December 1st thru March. It would not shock me anymore if the winter of 2019 joins that list. Incredible.
nutleyblizzard
nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:36 am

nutleyblizzard wrote:
Take a number Frank. I was playing solitare Saturday night. This snowless winter is starting to border on historical proportions. There has been only 4 times since records have been kept where Central Park has recorded 4 inches or less of snow from December 1st thru March. It would not shock me anymore if the winter of 2019 joins that list. Incredible.

Bite your tongue!! Wink
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:58 am

This has been one of those just a bit outside winters.
One thing is for sure we have somewhat reverted to winters of the 70's and 80's with a few exceptions in there. Another things along with that and again a few exceptions teh coast and LI in these time frames never experienced the snow that they did from 2000 until last year. This is aberration of the climate for these areas where it was always teh suburbs and rural areas that cashed in on most of these storms.
Are we reverting back to those days? This year seems to be for sure.
Sorry not to insult those who are coastal peeps.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:48 am

amugs wrote:This has been one of those just a bit outside winters.
One thing is for sure we have somewhat reverted to winters of the 70's and 80's with a few exceptions in there. Another things along with that and again a few exceptions teh coast and LI in these time frames never experienced the snow that they did from 2000 until last year. This is aberration of the climate for these areas where it was always teh suburbs and rural areas that cashed in on most of these storms.

I wake up in cold sweats (or this winter, warm sweats) to this idea. I remember many winters growing up where "heavier accumulation likely north and west" was the refrain (for both Philly and NYC) with "lesser amounts mixing with rain south and east of I-95." We hadn't seen a lot of that in recent years as the big cities east to the coast have cashed in a lot. I hope we are not reverting to another era like that.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:52 am

billg315 wrote:

I wake up in cold sweats (or this winter, warm sweats) to this idea. I remember many winters growing up where "heavier accumulation likely north and west" was the refrain (for both Philly and NYC) with "lesser amounts mixing with rain south and east of I-95." We hadn't seen a lot of that in recent years as the big cities east to the coast have cashed in a lot. I hope we are not reverting to another era like that.

Agreed. Those were tough times growing up. However, one bad winter does not necessarily indicate a trend. Hopefully simply a bad winter. Then again, if the environment is changing and warming, it makes sense our weather patterns change with it.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:10 pm

Winter Prayer:  May the snow squall of incomprehensible power carried to the northeast coast of the States of the United America on the thirtieth day of January of the century twenty one and  nineteen years usher in forty waves and waves of snowy cold devastation.  Ahhfrosty.  Ahhhfrosty!
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:37 pm

Grselig wrote:
billg315 wrote:

Agreed.  Those were tough times growing up.  However, one bad winter does not necessarily indicate a trend.  Hopefully simply a bad winter.  Then again, if the environment is changing  and warming, it makes sense our weather patterns change with it.

True but the 70's were colder than the 80's overall so that is 50/50 IMO for this.
Time will tell that is for sure.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:41 pm

yeah. time will tell. We are about the same age. first big storm I remember is 78. then 83. Just off the top of my head, the past 15- 20 years have produced more significant snow storms than growing up.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:54 pm

syosnow94 wrote:It’s gotta be said by someone. Why not me

Two weeks ago our leader Frank said he feared that if we didn’t cash in between the end of January and early Februaryn winter would be done and we’d be facing the prospect of a historic low snow winter. WELL............

Yesterday was rain for most and a bust snow wise for 99% of this forum. February 4th and 5th is gonna be 40s to 50 and rain for all.

Yet people are posting maps showing 45 more days of winter and threats 1047 hours out and positive posts from other Mets like Isotherm expressing optimism

CMON FOLKS. ENOUGHS ENOUGH. REALITY CHECK TIME. For Pete’s sake people are freakin excited for the POSSIBILITY OF A 10 minute snow shower.  POSTING ABOUT SINGLE DIGIT TEMPS AND LOW WIND. HILLS LIKE WE DONT SEE THEM EVERY WINTER

Writings on the wall. Fat lady sang.

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:35 pm

syosnow94 wrote:I quit posting awhile ago (for me anyway) but I can’t resist.  I check in periodically and am in absolute shock that you people still have hope.  I’m actually laughing at the latest LR and some of our Mets being optimistic. How many times do you have to see the same thing happen before you realize what’s up?  What do they say about insanity. Repeating the same thing over and over but expecting different results.

Post after post about pattern changes and assured snow chances.

Freaking out over TPV coming in and record cold gripping us as if we haven’t experienced these temps EVERY WINTER.  Winter of 2018/19 epic bust. PERIOD.  And don’t expect things to change going forward

Sheesh. How many times you gotta see the same thing folks.  No matter what anyone posts about chances going forward. Give it up.

LOL, that doesn't mean we can't get hit with a big storm. There's always potential. This winter will go down as a bust, but a big storm can still hit any time in the next 2 months.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:26 pm

If we manage to get a 12-inch snowstorm and a couple of minor events then Central Park would average near normal with regards to seasonal snowfall add in temperature departures near normal for the winter and it would look like winter was pretty decent when in reality it really sucked. The one thing I've noticed is that winter keeps getting shorter and shorter we throw away too many periods where we have no chance at snow
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mwilli5783 Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:55 pm

just noticed that i've been on this site since 1/23/2013..wow..that about as long as i've had facebook and twitter

mwilli5783

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:00 am

billg315 wrote:

Boy, that was so true, and I remember that vividly starting my snowstorm observations in December 1960.One example I personally experienced was in December of 1966 when my parents and I, 16 at the time, visited my Uncle's farm up in Westtown NY, near High Point.We had a slushy few inches in Fort Lee, but up there, N and W of the City as that refrain went back then, there was 18 inches plus OTG, wind, and snow flurries all day long.This current season very much resembles what happend regularly long ago.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:41 am

ok a little bored this am and dreaming of snow (of course don't want anyone hurt..but a nice blizzard will do...)
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:05 pm

The PLAY PEN-- Banter Thread 4.0 - Page 24 61cf9410
Lowville NY. Lake effect. 2-4” per hour 30 mph winds currently 1 degree. IT HAS BEEN LIKE THIS SINCE LAST NIGHT NON STOP. GOTTA BE INCREDIBLE

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:42 pm

I am now at average for the season so far but its from THREE storms. Hardly a winter to me, I don't care about total inches, but rather the number of times it snows. Would you rather 4 big storms or 12 smaller ones?
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by crippo84 Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:56 pm

mikeypizano wrote:I am now at average for the season so far but its from THREE storms. Hardly a winter to me, I don't care about total inches, but rather the number of times it snows. Would you rather 4 big storms or 12 smaller ones?

I understand you make a living off of winter events and you want more opportunities to get paid. Not hating on that at all.

But give me the 4 big storms hands down.  I don't even track or care about storms that put down less than 3 inches of snow. Those are yawners for me - it is pretty depressing how yesterday's 30 minute squall that put down an inch or so has been the excitement of the majority of the forum since November (and congrats to the minority on the board for the snow you've received so far - i'm jealous!!).  It's the 6 inch + storms that start to at least garner a little excitement for tracking.  But a godzilla and no doubt a roidzilla not only makes for a fun event, but a ton of fun to track leading up to the event. A big storm that will provide for all is going to draw more interest and fun on this board than a 1 inch event for all.
crippo84
crippo84

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:00 pm

crippo84 wrote:
mikeypizano wrote:I am now at average for the season so far but its from THREE storms. Hardly a winter to me, I don't care about total inches, but rather the number of times it snows. Would you rather 4 big storms or 12 smaller ones?

I understand you make a living off of winter events and you want more opportunities to get paid. Not hating on that at all.

But give me the 4 big storms hands down.  I don't even track or care about storms that put down less than 3 inches of snow. Those are yawners for me - it is pretty depressing how yesterday's 30 minute squall that put down an inch or so has been the excitement of the majority of the forum since November (and congrats to the minority on the board for the snow you've received so far - i'm jealous!!).  It's the 6 inch + storms that start to at least garner a little excitement for tracking.  But a godzilla and no doubt a roidzilla not only makes for a fun event, but a ton of fun to track leading up to the event. A big storm that will provide for all is going to draw more interest and fun on this board than a 1 inch event for all.

For me, I found the sweet spot is around 8 inches. That is enough to ensure I do my full customer base, but not be overly hard to clear. Stella was an absolute nightmare for me when I had the drive cable on my snow blower snap in middle of everything.

To me though as far as tracking goes, anything is good for me, be it a 3 inch or a 30 inch storm.
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by crippo84 Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:07 pm

mikeypizano wrote:
crippo84 wrote:

For me, I found the sweet spot is around 8 inches. That is enough to ensure I do my full customer base, but not be overly hard to clear. Stella was an absolute nightmare for me when I had the drive cable on my snow blower snap in middle of everything.

To me though as far as tracking goes, anything is good for me, be it a 3 inch or a 30 inch storm.

Yeah I live in the city so anything less than about 4 or 5 inches is going to be unnoticeable anyway. It melts away or is cleared away in no time at all. Even if you went to central park, minor events turn to nothing in no time at all. But I always enjoy seeing it falling regardless.

I guess that's why I prefer the big storms living where I live. Something that's actually going to be disruptive so that I may be able to get out and enjoy it.

I'm from Virginia Beach and when I was younger I'd use to pray for even flurries, so a 3 inch storm was a huge deal and had us out of school for days. But now, if there isn't a foot of snow coming (and usually it has to be more than that), I better have my a$$ right here at work lol.
crippo84
crippo84

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:23 pm

Give me 1995/96. 16 3-6” events and one Roidzilla. It was perfect.

If I had to choose between 4 big events or a dozen moderate ones I’ll take a dozen every time. Assuming it’s cold enough that it sticks around. I need cold and snow cover. Just like CP

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:25 pm

syosnow94 wrote:Give me 1995/96. 16 3-6” events and one Roidzilla. It was perfect.

If I had to choose between 4 big events or a dozen moderate ones I’ll take a dozen every time. Assuming it’s cold enough that it sticks around. I need cold and snow cover. Just like CP

Exactly my point, even if I didn't make money from it, I like to have a decent snow pack for a bit, not a big one that melts before next one hits.
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:35 pm

mikeypizano wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:Give me 1995/96. 16 3-6” events and one Roidzilla. It was perfect.

Exactly my point, even if I didn't make money from it, I like to have a decent snow pack for a bit, not a big one that melts before next one hits.

I wish I could give both of these comments 100 likes. My feelings exactly.

In 2015/16 many people had one big blizzard which dropped anywhere from 25-35 inches of snow on many in NJ, NYC and LI. It melted in several days and there was virtually no snow in those areas before or after it. Many graded that winter a B or A.

What???????????? How is that a Good or great winter? One huge event that didn't even stick around long. That winter was a D+ at best only because it had one huge storm, otherwise it was a definite F. If you can't walk around at least 60 of the 120 days from Thanksgiving to Late March with snow cover and cold weather, the winter sucks. These rules cannot be argued.

So let it be written , so let it be done.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:04 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
mikeypizano wrote:

I wish I could give both of these comments 100 likes. My feelings exactly.

In 2015/16 many people had one big blizzard which dropped anywhere from 25-35 inches of snow on many in NJ, NYC and LI. It melted in several days and there was virtually no snow in those areas before or after it. Many graded that winter a B or A.

What???????????? How is that a Good or great winter? One huge event that didn't even stick around long. That winter was a D+ at best only because it had one huge storm, otherwise it was a definite F. If you can't walk around at least 60 of the 120 days from Thanksgiving to Late March with snow cover and cold weather, the winter sucks. These rules cannot be argued.

So let it be written , so let it be done.

I like it gone by mid March but that is due to spring cleanups need to be done.
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 36 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 30 ... 36  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum