NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banter Thread 5.0

+46
Elmer J Fudd, Billionaire
Bkdude
algae888
Irish
toople
jaydoy
richb521
crippo84
phil155
Judy Margolis
bloc1357
oldtimer
jimv45
Artechmetals
Scullybutcher
bobjohnsonforthehall
Taffy
SENJsnowman
CPcantmeasuresnow
Vinnydula
skinsfan1177
aiannone
weatherwatchermom
SoulSingMG
sroc4
sabamfa
Math23x7
frank 638
Radz
essexcountypete
Dunnzoo
GreyBeard
heehaw453
Quietace
jmanley32
nutleyblizzard
dkodgis
docstox12
billg315
HectorO
Grselig
amugs
mwilli
mikeypizano
brownie
Frank_Wx
50 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 Empty Banter Thread 5.0

Post by Frank_Wx Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:36 pm

Continue banter discussions in this thread.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by brownie Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:39 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:One day I'll be able to dedicate time again back into forecasting the weather. Sorry to those who expect more from me, but I'm very proud of the forecasts other members give. Scott being one of several others.
I am not a frequent poster here, but Frank, I have been following you since you were 18 years old.  Smile. You have an incredible talent for meteorology and I have thought you to be the best of the best for all these years.

Having said that, while I miss your more frequent contributions here, I understand that life gets busy, and I so appreciate the existence of this place.  I do not have the forecasting gene, but meteorology has always fascinated me and I enjoy reading everyone’s contributions.  I also appreciate that this is the only place I know of where I can contribute my 2 cents with some weather observations and not be laughed out of town.

Long live this forum.  Smile

brownie

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:44 pm

Thank you my friend. And to everyone else for the support.
I miss blogging regularly. Putting a blog song to them. Being able to illustrate my points using annotated pictures. One day I'll get back to that. I don't even have model subscriptions anymore. Too many expenses. Maybe I should go live home again. I know mom would love that Very Happy

Kidding.

I hope its an active severe weather and tropical season to help us forget about the winter.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:48 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:Thank you my friend. And to everyone else for the support.  
I miss blogging regularly. Putting a blog song to them. Being able to illustrate my points using annotated pictures. One day I'll get back to that. I don't even have model subscriptions anymore. Too many expenses. Maybe I should go live home again. I know mom would love that Very Happy

Kidding.

I hope its an active severe weather and tropical season to help us forget about the winter.

If I may add one thing? Hurricanes don't make landfall at Cat 4/5... I hate destruction.
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by mwilli Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:51 pm

i would like 2 know...will there be a la nina for up coming hurricane season

mwilli

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:39 pm

mwilli wrote:i would like 2 know...will there be a la nina for up coming hurricane season

Doesnt look so at this time. Looks to be a weak Nino as we are in now.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:35 am

Good luck with "LIFE" Frank.  Definitely miss your insights, but its all for a great reason.  This has always been an informative site, but lets not forget its only the weather and not go after each other.  99% of us are on the same side, we want exciting weather! Sometimes this is a break from a tiring day and we need to stay classy.  This winter was miserable.  CP, you kept it bearable with Ophelia - that was hilarious and so creative.  Thank you my friend!  I am sure she is in hiding, but hopefully can return soon.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:46 pm

mikeypizano wrote:

Kidding.

If I may add one thing? Hurricanes don't make landfall at Cat 4/5... I hate destruction.

For this area? You don't even want a cat 1, trust me. People say all the time they've experienced hurricanes here but really haven't There have been superstorms and diminishing ones that have dumped tons of rain, but a direct Cat 1 hit in this area would be crappy. A Cat 2 would leave people homeless.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:40 am

HectorO wrote:
mikeypizano wrote:

Kidding.

For this area? You don't even want a cat 1, trust me. People say all the time they've experienced hurricanes here but really haven't There have been superstorms and diminishing ones that have dumped tons of rain, but a direct Cat 1 hit in this area would be crappy. A Cat 2 would leave people homeless.

Hector, 100% agree.  Hurricanes, no matter how exciting they at first seem, destroy peoples lives and property.  I'll never forget Sandy.  People suffer and die.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:05 am

If we ever got a Cat 4/5 you can pretty much wipe the NJ barrier islands off the map as shore resorts (at least for a couple years) and the flooding and property damage in the rest of the state would be catastrophic. Hector is right that we've never even truly experienced a Cat 2 that I can recall. At least not since the State has been built up.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:28 am

Grselig wrote:
HectorO wrote:
mikeypizano wrote:

Kidding.

Hector, 100% agree.  Hurricanes, no matter how exciting they at first seem, destroy peoples lives and property.  I'll never forget Sandy.  People suffer and die.

Sandy was the worst weather experience of my life,wind gusts 75 mph and then 8 days without power.First time in 35 years in my old house in Mahwah I was truly scared s__tless for an hour or so at the max winds.Hope I never see this again.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:09 am

docstox12 wrote:
Grselig wrote:
HectorO wrote:
mikeypizano wrote:

Kidding.

Sandy was the worst weather experience of my life,wind gusts 75 mph and then 8 days without power.First time in 35 years in my old house in Mahwah I was truly scared s__tless for an hour or so at the max winds.Hope I never see this again.

Sandy was an extremely odd storm. One of the few times I'm sure people were happy to see the Bergen County Black hole swallow up the moisture. I remember the storm picking up and winds gusting heavily, the power went out and literally 2 hours (if that) later the storm literally disappeared. I thought it was just a calm before it picked up again, but that was it. I know down south they got it worst, I'm just speaking for Bergen County.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:13 am

Also, I remember when I lived in FL, I experienced all the way up to a Cat 3 and barely Missed Charley which was a Cat 4. My friend in Orlando went through Charley. The Cat 3 was straight out of a horror book. The winds out of nowhere died out, then all off a sudden the winds picked up to insane amounts and trees started snapping, heard the sound of a freight train and the next day heard on the radio that about a quarter mile from me a tornado touched down.
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:26 am

HectorO wrote:Also, I remember when I lived in FL, I experienced all the way up to a Cat 3 and barely Missed Charley which was a Cat 4. My friend in Orlando went through Charley. The Cat 3 was straight out of a horror book. The winds out of nowhere died out, then all off a sudden the winds picked up to insane amounts and trees started snapping, heard the sound of a freight train and the next day heard on the radio that about a quarter mile from me a tornado touched down.

As much as the "weather nerd" in me wants to live through something like this just to experience it, I in reality have no desire to live through it in actuality. I would be terrified. I get nervous when in the Spring and Fall when we get those 50-60 mph change of season wind gusts that shake my house. I'm not sure my house would even stand in a 100-plus mph sustained wind.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by mwilli Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:42 pm

i upturned the soil on my lawn and while doing that i found $20.00 so i pocketed it then added new sun/shade grass seed and rake it all in trying to take advantage of the rain thursday..as 4 the $20.00 the night before i wrote out $8.00 worth of powerball numbers but now added a extra $2.00 so i spent $10.00(thanks 2 that $20.00)and have extra $10.00 in case no one wins tonight..550 million tonight..600+if no one wins tonight for saturday

mwilli

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:50 pm

If you win, congrats. Maybe we could spring for a few carrots for Othelia.

Happy spring everyone. It's baaaacccckkkkk!!!!!!
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by nutleyblizzard Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:38 pm

dkodgis wrote:If you win, congrats. Maybe we could spring for a few carrots for Othelia.

Happy spring everyone. It's baaaacccckkkkk!!!!!!
Great. Looking forward to the heat, humidity and bugs in the months ahead. You can have it. I've always been a cold and snow fanatic since I was a kid. That will never change. I'm already looking forward to next winter.
nutleyblizzard
nutleyblizzard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:04 pm

One of my customers was on vacation in the Virgin Islands when Maria hit. He said it was horrible. Lot of damage, no power, etc.
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by mwilli Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:16 pm

when sandy hit i was without power for 12 days,so in the basement water started coming out from the boiler finally stopped after 3 days,had a portable radio listening to "the fan" and hearing stories about lipa(stuff i didn't even know) then 2 guys from canada put back the power line attached to the house..don't wanna go thru that again

mwilli

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:51 pm

HectorO wrote:
mikeypizano wrote:

Kidding.

Hector how old are you, do you remember Bob? Hurricane bob in 1991 was a cat 2 upon landfall and went pretty much right over long island and into CT. We all survived, lost power and the shore took a beating but it was far from the end of the world.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:37 am

jmanley32 wrote:
HectorO wrote:
mikeypizano wrote:

Kidding.

Hector how old are you, do you remember Bob? Hurricane bob in 1991 was a cat 2 upon landfall and went pretty much right over long island and into CT. We all survived, lost power and the shore took a beating but it was far from the end of the world.
Bob was a weakening (due to much cooler SSTs) Hurricane beginning to undergo ETT under the influence of a trough approaching from the west. Its track was also fairly east for the worst impacts to be in the NYC area, as its eye barley scrapped LI. This is not a great example of what a Cat 2 storm would do to the region rather than what it could due to eastern New England. A worst-case scenario for the region would actually be a 1938 track/trough interaction as well as its sustained intensity due to the SSTs and ETT.
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:45 am

Windy over the next two days. Batten down the hatches, mates!
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:40 am

So March has followed the entire winter pattern. So boring. Cold rain. 2 weeks prior, models show potential, but when it comes crunch time, cold rain. Okay, time for some nice warm weather. It's over. Old Man Winter was probably chillin on Netflix with Ms. Spring Solstice and forgot to do his job.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by heehaw453 Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:00 am

Grselig wrote:So March has followed the entire winter pattern.  So boring.  Cold rain.  2 weeks prior, models show potential, but when it comes crunch time, cold rain.  Okay, time for some nice warm weather.  It's over.  Old Man Winter was probably chillin on Netflix with Ms. Spring Solstice and forgot to do his job.  

Agree. A decent season this storm would have found a way to produce 4-8” of snow. Didn’t miss by much which is more frustrating.

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:29 pm

Just read Joe D'Aleo 3 day e was earchband posts on El Nino, LA Nina, PDO and AMO along with the sum and geomagnetic affects of our wearher. So very interesting an dome point's to the solar cycles and climate cycles which are very interesting and it is scientific factuAL information instead theoretical conjure we get shoved.
We are entering a quadruple feta cycle of the Sun, Geomagnetic, Gravitational and Oceanic Cycle. Very interesting.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next