NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banter Thread 8.0

+44
Carvin
Bkdude
Frozen.9
kalleg
JT33
WinterColdandSnowisamyth
aiannone
phil155
Coachgriff
lglickman1
mmanisca
MattyICE
2004blackwrx
Scullybutcher
TheAresian
essexcountypete
mikeypizano
RJB8525
Radz
brownie
nutleyblizzard
Grselig
richb521
Math23x7
dolphins222
CPcantmeasuresnow
crippo84
Quietace
rb924119
heehaw453
Irish
Dunnzoo
GreyBeard
weatherwatchermom
frank 638
jmanley32
dkodgis
billg315
sroc4
amugs
SENJsnowman
Frank_Wx
HectorO
docstox12
48 posters

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

Banter Thread 8.0 - Page 14 Empty Re: Banter Thread 8.0

Post by heehaw453 Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:52 am

sroc4 wrote:
heehaw453 wrote:Sroc being a vet thought I'd share.  My 70 lb dog just had tplo surgery 8 days ago. Had a partial torn CCL (human equivalent is ACL) with grade 2 patellar luxation, no meniscus damage. Surgeon changed the slope from 29 to 2 degrees.  Can already see him bearing weight on the leg.  Just amazing to see.

Anyone interested to see how it works view this youtube.

The TPLO is an impressive procedure.  When talking to clients about that procedure the analogy I use is the ACL is like the E-brake on your car.  Normal conformation of the femur to the tibia (thigh bone to the shin bone respectively), is like your car(femur) parked on a San Francisco hill(Tibial Plateau). With an intact ACL(e brake) there is no worry about rolling down the hill; however if it tears now it has a tendency to want to roll down the hill.  With the TPLO( tibial-plateau-leveling osteotomy) you are cutting the top third of the tibia and rotating it effectively getting rid of the hill.  In other words you are taking the car off the hill and placing it in a flat parking lot.  You dont necessarily need the ebrake when your parked on a flat surface.  

Just make sure to go real slow with the rehab process.  Im sure the surgeon mapped out a week to week, and month to month plan regarding how to go about increasing activity etc.  If not I can provide you with a link with that that you can use as a basic guide.  
Thanks for that!  yep the weekly exercise guide was provided and called the go really slow part out.  problem is the dog is 7 years old and still wants to bolt like a 2 year old at times  Shocked  but yeah we're being careful and big milestone will be the cone coming off in 3-4 days.

heehaw453
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:54 am

heehaw453 wrote:
sroc4 wrote:
heehaw453 wrote:Sroc being a vet thought I'd share.  My 70 lb dog just had tplo surgery 8 days ago. Had a partial torn CCL (human equivalent is ACL) with grade 2 patellar luxation, no meniscus damage. Surgeon changed the slope from 29 to 2 degrees.  Can already see him bearing weight on the leg.  Just amazing to see.

Anyone interested to see how it works view this youtube.

The TPLO is an impressive procedure.  When talking to clients about that procedure the analogy I use is the ACL is like the E-brake on your car.  Normal conformation of the femur to the tibia (thigh bone to the shin bone respectively), is like your car(femur) parked on a San Francisco hill(Tibial Plateau). With an intact ACL(e brake) there is no worry about rolling down the hill; however if it tears now it has a tendency to want to roll down the hill.  With the TPLO( tibial-plateau-leveling osteotomy) you are cutting the top third of the tibia and rotating it effectively getting rid of the hill.  In other words you are taking the car off the hill and placing it in a flat parking lot.  You dont necessarily need the ebrake when your parked on a flat surface.  

Just make sure to go real slow with the rehab process.  Im sure the surgeon mapped out a week to week, and month to month plan regarding how to go about increasing activity etc.  If not I can provide you with a link with that that you can use as a basic guide.  
Thanks for that!  yep the weekly exercise guide was provided and called the go really slow part out.  problem is the dog is 7 years old and still wants to bolt like a 2 year old at times  Shocked  but yeah we're being careful and big milestone will be the cone coming off in 3-4 days.

Ask for a sedative ie: Trazadone. You're better off keeping him stoned and quiet then having to deal with implant failure.

sroc4
Admin
Admin

heehaw453 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Coachgriff Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:23 am

High point is a lot of fun…very manageable climb till the park…then ufff! Check out Flanders as well…big hill to start then 8 miles of rollers and downhills. Good chance I do both events this year…I have never done the Mt. Washington Hillclimb…might need to look into it…at 170lbs long climbs at race pace get expensive! I have climbed Mt. Mitchell which is awesome! I also highly recommend Skyline Drive.
Coachgriff
Coachgriff

phil155 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:23 am

docstox12 wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:
docstox12 wrote:Jman, congrats on the ebay business, good for you!
Wow, you talking about the 80's action figures triggered some circuits from when I was a kid.I had many baseball cards and comics from the late 50's through early 60's.The comics were Little Lulu, Superman, Superboy, the Archie Comics.Must have been a stack a few feet high.My Mom let my then little nephew and niece use them for coloring books,LOL.I also had an original set of the "Mars Attacks" cards from Topps that were pulled because they were extremely violent and gory.Parents went nuts and made them.That set is over 6000 today but again, they were destroyed,lol.I did manage to buy a few repro sets Topps put out in the 1990's for 25 bucks so I have the entire set.
Sorry you never got Shetara.Maybe you will come across one in your travels.
Best of luck for a great profitable business.Maybe you can sell CP one of those small globes you shake and snow drifts down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nAzNkBJ3VQ
Oh ya the mars attacks cards were a headline on ebay not to long ago. I saw the pics lol, thats gory? Clearly times have changed. That is def a holy grail to find on my list, you would be surprised what you find at garage sales, people think it is just junk, often it is many times not. You also have to ASK if they have something in particular. My competition found a huge collection of sealed he-man action figures trucks etc. They were not out but when he asked for vintage toys they actually brought him in side and lets just say he paid $500 and made close to 20x that....I too have had some major scores in 2020 I came across two sealed video games that I got for next to nothing and sold for 5k, that was my grail find for two items. I have had plenty of finds totaling thousands but not just two items. Now some people say I am ripping people off, how? I am giving them what they want for a item, is it my fault they did not research? It is like going to buy groceries, if they mismarked a item are you going to say I am sorry that is supposed to be $4.99 not $1.99, thats a how business works, now if it is a kid or I am feeling extra nice I may say no no thats too little and add something on top. Other people know what they have or they think they have gold and they don't, those u just try to nicely walk away.

Jman, right, the Mars Cards were considered violent and gory,LOL.Compared to the stuff today, they are like a Sunday School picnic.
Agree on what you say, business is business.With the internet, there are so many sources to check on the value of any item so garage sellers should be doing their DD before setting a price on an item for sale.
On that note, and this is not garage sale related, I have been a coin collector since 1962, and a few years ago, decided to go to a local bank to get a roll of half dollars to see what is circulating these days.The older teller said she didn't have a roll but someone had brought in 20 dollars worth and she had it in the envelope and would I take them.I said sure and when I got home, they all turned out to be 40% silver, so the 20 bucks I paid was really worth 55 for the silver.Here is a teller that has worked in a bank for years and did not recognize that.She could have stuck a 20 in her till to balance out and kept them for herself.
Ha, that kinda find is great!
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by phil155 Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:23 pm

Coachgriff wrote:High point is a lot of fun…very manageable climb till the park…then ufff!  Check out Flanders as well…big hill to start then 8 miles of rollers and downhills.  Good chance I do both events this year…I have never done the Mt. Washington Hillclimb…might need to look into it…at 170lbs long climbs at race pace get expensive!  I have climbed Mt. Mitchell which is awesome!  I also highly recommend Skyline Drive.

A few friends of mine are dong the TT cup so I want to jump in some of the events, the cup does not mean much to me, I just want to focus on the climbs but I will enter some others to have fun with some friends, I have climbed high point before but not in the event and it was a nice climb from what I remember. Me and downhills dont mix, I just like going up and probably ascend as fast or faster than I descend. I am really working on my power to weight, I want to get as close to 5w per kg as possible by august without starving myself. Is it possible for me not sure but as long as I improve

phil155
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Coachgriff Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:54 pm

Wow…5w/kg is serious…that would be 385w for me…not happening! If I am properly motivated I can do 300w for 20 minutes. My watts are in my 15s to 5 minute power. Good luck with the training!!!
Coachgriff
Coachgriff

phil155 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:44 pm

Interesting and informative persentation last night from Dr. David Dilley on the upcoming El Nino, CO2 true measurements and its correlation to past climate events, where we are going over the next 5 to 10 years plus weather wise.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

sroc4 and docstox12 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:47 am

JMan, in your garage sale travels, keep an eye out for these:
http://www.civilwarcollector.ca/topps-civil-war-cards.html

I had the whole set in 1962, but sadly, they were destroyed.They are probably rarer then a Hen's tooth and must be worth more than the Mar's Attacks set.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:37 am

docstox12 wrote:JMan, in your garage sale travels, keep an eye out for these:
http://www.civilwarcollector.ca/topps-civil-war-cards.html

I had the whole set in 1962, but sadly, they were destroyed.They are probably rarer then a Hen's tooth and must be worth more than the Mar's Attacks set.
A utter crime, now those are pretty gruesome, surprised those were not banned, yeah okay they are probably what the war looked like, likely worse, but what's the difference real or sci-fi? Yeah I have never seen anything like that out there.

Edit believe it or not, though likely rare are very very cheap. Just looked them up on ebay, nothing like the mars attacks. Even the ma5rs attack a set recently sold for $1250
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

docstox12 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:51 pm

It’s hard to believe 40 years ago the year I was born the northeast had a big blizzard. I don’t know if anybody follows Joe rao and joe cioffi weather show but they were talking about it They were mentioning some places had snow drifts up to four and 5 feet and we ended up with 22 inches of snow.

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

docstox12 and Dunnzoo like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:48 pm

frank 638 wrote:It’s hard to believe 40 years ago the year I was born the northeast had a big blizzard. I don’t know if anybody follows Joe rao and joe cioffi weather show but they were talking about it They were mentioning some places had snow drifts up to four and 5 feet and we ended up with 22 inches of snow.

I lived through that one, Frank, living in Mahwah NJ.Snow rates 3 inches per hour from 6 pm to midnight with NO lulls.I took a walk in it and could barely see my house with the lights on 30 feet away.Funny thing is, it started with just powdery light snow around 1 or 2 in the afternoon.I got out from work around 5:30 and picked up a pizza at Kinchleys, a well known pizza joint in Bergen County (Mugsy knows it).When I walked in, it was still powdery light snow.A few minutes later , when I left, heavy snow at that 3 inch an hour rate, started.Barely could see the mile I drove to get home.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

CPcantmeasuresnow likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by essexcountypete Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:17 am

Kinchley's is awesome. Great pizza, nice people. The fra diavalo pie is killer.

If you ever find yourself down in my neck of the woods, hit up the Star Tavern in Orange. Another unassuming bar turned family pizzeria. Their thin crust pies are wonderful. The pesto pie is our favorite. When people we know come back to town after moving away, Star is where everyone wants to go.
essexcountypete
essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:08 am

essexcountypete wrote:Kinchley's is awesome. Great pizza, nice people. The fra diavalo pie is killer.

If you ever find yourself down in my neck of the woods, hit up the Star Tavern in Orange. Another unassuming bar turned family pizzeria. Their thin crust pies are wonderful. The pesto pie is our favorite. When people we know come back to town after moving away, Star is where everyone wants to go.

Pete, I read about that one in the NJ Magazine where they rated the best pizza joints.Thanks for the heads up on that and if I ever get down there, will definitely try it.I worked in Ramsey NJ 25 years and lived in Mahwah NJ for 35 and most every week would order a Kinchley's pizza.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

essexcountypete likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by essexcountypete Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:55 am

That's a lot of pizza Doc. You're a lucky guy to have lived and worked in such close proximity to pizza greatness.

I think the next NJ Strong gathering should be a North Jersey Thin Crust Pizza/Pub Crawl.
essexcountypete
essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by phil155 Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:11 am

Coachgriff wrote:Wow…5w/kg is serious…that would be 385w for me…not happening!  If I am properly motivated I can do 300w for 20 minutes.  My watts are in my 15s to 5 minute power.  Good luck with the training!!!

My short and sprint power are not very good at all, you will never see me win a sprint just not going to happen. My five min power is ok but my 15 sec is bad. Big part of why crit racing is not for me

phil155
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:08 pm

essexcountypete wrote:That's a lot of pizza Doc. You're a lucky guy to have lived and worked in such close proximity to pizza greatness.

I think the next NJ Strong gathering should be a North Jersey Thin Crust Pizza/Pub Crawl.

Sign me up,Pete!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:13 pm

essexcountypete wrote:Kinchley's is awesome. Great pizza, nice people. The fra diavalo pie is killer.

Is this the place? Lol   "One bite, everyone knows the rules"

If it is Portnoy's Mass bias leaking out I think.  

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:52 pm

sroc4 wrote:

Is this the place? Lol   "One bite, everyone knows the rules"

If it is Portnoy's Mass bias leaking out I think.  

Looks just like a Kinchley's thin crust.I will have to get down there one day to compare the taste,LOL.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:01 pm

Kinchleys is the bomb!!  A pizza Pub Crawl woudl be great.

Nellie's in Waldwick is high ranking as well!

amugs
amugs

essexcountypete likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:02 pm

Amazing Video and the artifacts of science tha thas been collected over teh years by these ice core samples is remarkable.

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:03 pm

CP or DOC remember this event??

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:23 pm

amugs wrote:Amazing Video and the artifacts of science tha thas been collected over teh years by these ice core samples is remarkable.

Read this many years ago about the sudden violent changes in temperature.All before man's CO2 contributions! The heavy water marker makes a lot of sense!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:30 pm

amugs wrote:CP or DOC remember this event??

Wow, what an event!
I was on an around the world cruise at the time funded by profits trading Railroad stocks and Standard Oil, so missed the news of this until I got back to port.Don't know what CP was up to.

Here I am on the day of departure:

Banter Thread 8.0 - Page 14 Ba632dd9d1c5c75c5c4639482856245d
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

sroc4, CPcantmeasuresnow, essexcountypete, billg315 and SENJsnowman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:51 pm

docstox12 wrote:
amugs wrote:CP or DOC remember this event??

Wow, what an event!
I was on an around the world cruise at the time funded by profits trading Railroad stocks and Standard Oil, so missed the news of this until I got back to port.Don't know what CP was up to.

Here I am on the day of departure:

Banter Thread 8.0 - Page 14 Ba632dd9d1c5c75c5c4639482856245d

I do remember that picture Doc, weren’t you dating one of the late President Lincolns nieces at the time?

I of course remember this day like it was yesterday. I was on a freighter in the Gulf of Mexico when we experienced zero visibility in heavy snow. I believe that’s the only time since that has ever happened. Of course I was very young at the time, only 43 I believe, so I thought there would be another time.

Of course at that time I never dreamed I would live in the Northeast over 100 years later and experience a winter that has so far produced a paltry 7 1/2 inches of snow and the warmest January in recorded history. You never know what your future is going to bring.

Last edited by CPcantmeasuresnow on Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

sroc4 and docstox12 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by essexcountypete Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:52 pm

On a seasonal note, clearly we're come to the end of meteorological WALL. Before we reach the official new season in March, I suggest we call this next month... SPINGTER.
essexcountypete
essexcountypete
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

docstox12 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:02 pm

essexcountypete wrote:On a seasonal note, clearly we're come to the end of meteorological WALL. Before we reach the official new season in March, I suggest we call this next month... SPINGTER.

Pete, just to clarify.

Wall runs from December 1 to January 31. Wing runs from February 1 to March 31. Spring begins April 1.

Right now snowfall wise it looks like the second half of Wing may out produce fall, wall, and the first half of wing combined. That would be a first.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

docstox12 and essexcountypete like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:12 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
essexcountypete wrote:On a seasonal note, clearly we're come to the end of meteorological WALL. Before we reach the official new season in March, I suggest we call this next month... SPINGTER.

Pete, just to clarify.

Wall runs from December 1 to January 31.  Wing runs from February 1 to March 31. Spring begins April 1.

Right now snowfall wise it looks like the second half of Wing may out produce fall, wall, and the first half of wing combined. That would be a first.

I thought I had read somewhere that first month of Wall and second month of Wing had a subclassification, giving the Wall/Wing season bookends.  The first month of Wall is classified as Finter, and the second month of Wing is Spingter.  I could  be wrong.

Anyway we all should try our best to have a nice relaxed Spingter.  A relaxed Spingter leads to a happy Spingter.  No sense in having a tense Spincter.  Nothing ever good comes out of it.

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

docstox12 and essexcountypete like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content