NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Long Range Thread 6.0

+47
snow247
dkodgis
Sferra01
Fededle22
Sunflowers138
mako460
weatherwatchermom
Philliesfan
Scullybutcher
Radz
lglickman1
Sanchize06
oldtimer
essexcountypete
Yschiff
chief7
rb924119
Grselig
aiannone
mancave25
NjWeatherGuy
jimv45
elkiehound
devsman
RJB8525
billg315
dsvinos
SNOW MAN
crippo84
sabamfa
HectorO
Quietace
Analog96
carvin1079
SoulSingMG
Dunnzoo
CPcantmeasuresnow
docstox12
nutleyblizzard
sroc4
Snow88
algae888
Frank_Wx
skinsfan1177
amugs
jmanley32
Math23x7
51 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 Empty Re: Official Long Range Thread 6.0

Post by Frank_Wx Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:42 am

Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 ECMWF_MSLPThickQPF_ne_f132

The euro keeps the storm track south and NYC Metro sees close to a foot of snow thus run. Heres the scenarios:

1. The northern and southern stream energies remain un-phased and this becomes a SWFE. With confluence in SE Canada thanks to the Friday clipper deepening with a PV in an ideal location in east-central Canada, that creates enough of a confluence or block to prevent the storm from cutting northwest. Instead, it's a SWFE and the tricky part becomes where the baroclinic zone, or temp. gradient, sets up. These setups could yield big snowfalls for some locations, but really screw over those on the wrong side of the gradient. Very thread the needle types.

2. The confluence in Canada is weak and the storm has room to cut west. This scneario would bring many places rain. This scenario is likely to happen if a phase is realized. Too early, the storm deepens and cuts.

3. This scenario isn't shown yet and I doubt we worry about but would be a Miller B that most likely benefits just New England. A phase just before reaching the coast but the confluence is still good in Canada, so energy is forced to transfer off the coast.

Here are your three scenarios for Monday. We'll get an idea of how this shapes up by the weekend.

Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 Empty Re: Official Long Range Thread 6.0

Post by algae888 Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:33 am

gfs ensembles are south of op...
Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 Gfs-ens_mslpa_us_23
Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 Gfs-ens_mslpa_us_24

algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:37 am

cmc went from coldest solution at 12z to warmest at 00z
Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 Gem_z500_mslp_us_24
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:39 am

Frank_Wx wrote:Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 ECMWF_MSLPThickQPF_ne_f132

The euro keeps the storm track south and NYC Metro sees close to a foot of snow thus run. Heres the scenarios:

1. The northern and southern stream energies remain un-phased and this becomes a SWFE. With confluence in SE Canada thanks to the Friday clipper deepening with a PV in an ideal location in east-central Canada, that creates enough of a confluence or block to prevent the storm from cutting northwest. Instead,  it's a SWFE and the tricky part becomes where the baroclinic zone, or temp. gradient, sets up. These setups could yield big snowfalls for some locations, but really screw over those on the wrong side of the gradient. Very thread the needle types.

2. The confluence in Canada is weak and the storm has room to cut west. This scneario would bring many places rain. This scenario is likely to happen if a phase is realized. Too early, the storm deepens and cuts.

3. This scenario isn't shown yet and I doubt we worry about but would be a Miller B that most likely benefits just New England. A phase just before reaching the coast but the confluence is still good in Canada, so energy is forced to transfer off the coast.

Here are your three scenarios for Monday. We'll get an idea of how this shapes up by the weekend.

Excellent, Frank.

Looks like EURO and GFS keeps this a snow maker but CMC cuts it to rain.Clipper coming in with an inch or so Thu-Fri. We'll see how that system sets the stage for Sun.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:16 am

In 12 hours the Euro went from rainmaker for Sunday night to snowmaker, and the GFS from snowmaker to rainmaker?

I'll leave this to our experts. I'm not touching it.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:18 am

They are on to something at this stage,CP, which is good.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:25 am

Frank_Wx wrote:00z GFS for the Monday system next week went north, so lots of rain

Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 GFS_MSLPThickQPF_ne_f141

It's a blizzard for Alex though (Alex, mother nature may make this up to you for not being home yesterday)

12z Euro yesterday agreed with the LP cutting like the 00z GFS did last night(see above);
Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 <a href=Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 Ecmwf_27" />

HOWEVER;
Euro came back in with a track off the Delmarva S of LI
Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 <a href=Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 Ecmwf_28" />

The Euro ensemble Mean is South of LI as well.  The blue dot is the mean.  I have circled the various clusters of members.  Clearly the overwhelmingly majority of members takes the track S of LI.  If we don't want rain, esp for the coast this has to happen.  
Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 <a href=Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 Eps_sl12" />

Here is the latest 6z GFS Ensemble forecast track, again S of LI. (FWIW the 00z GFS Ens was S as well)
Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 <a href=Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 Gfs-en10" />

Th GLC the cmc showed overnight is pretty much not going to happen unless there is a MAJOR shift in all other operational and Ensemble guidance.  The cmc Ens forecast is not even close to this:

CMC OPERATIONAL
Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 <a href=Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 Gem_z510" />

CMC Ens Mean
Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 <a href=Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 Gem-en15" />

As of now a track S of LI is probably a safe bet; however, since we are all seasoned veterans now we know there is a long way to go.  Ill have a write up later in the week looking at the upper air set up which will determine the track.  Keep it south of LI or allow it to cut/coastal hugger?  We will examine the H5 maps over the Hudson bay and the Canadian maritime to the E of the Hudson bay to get the answer.  We must not forget the pattern to our west as well, but will prob play less of a role in this set up as things stand now.

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:45 am

Nice Sroc, one thing I've learned from you guys through the years is not to rely on operational runs and look at the ensemble means as well. Of course it goes far beyond that but for us laymen it's a start.

Thanks as always for making it understandable.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Analog96 Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:46 am

One thing about this storm is it will definitely be easier to track and the odds of having a storm are high.
It's a Miller A system and will be on the maps all the way from the Southwestern US.

Analog96
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:04 am

From looking at the maps this morning here is what I see and great analysis DOc - let's get ourselves a SECS if not MECS from this Sunday night
1 Euro OP is an all out snowstorm
2. The Ensemble mean takes LP south and to the BM
3 The usually amped control is south of both
4 The 6z GEFS is cold and all snow
5. The 6z GFS OP is further S that the 0z GFS OP .

Okay another system Feb 5th time frame as well. Lets get some model agreement and be patient on this next one. Nice air mass in place unlike the stale one we had this past Saturday and I got 8" out of it - go figure.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:05 am

SROC, nice writeup. I am going to take the time to read and understand it later. You are such a good educator I appreciate the knowledge
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:06 am

Analog96 wrote:One thing about this storm is it will definitely be easier to track and the odds of having a storm are high.  
It's a Miller A system and will be on the maps all the way from the Southwestern US.

Great point Greg - we have always had the issue with Miller B's of when and where the phase will occur - they can surprise you either way as we all just learned. As long as Frank pointed out we do not get a phased bomb then we should be good to go.

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Analog96 Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:37 am

amugs wrote:
Analog96 wrote:One thing about this storm is it will definitely be easier to track and the odds of having a storm are high.  

Great point Greg - we have always had the issue with Miller B's of when and where the phase will occur - they can surprise you either way as we all just learned. As long as Frank pointed out we do not get a phased bomb then we should be good to go.

Miller B's tend to benefit Eastern New England the most, even when we do get a big event out of one.

Analog96
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:44 am

Interesting on how the ensembles are so different than the operational, def one to watch Euro run would be nice but the Euro has really goota come back with a vengeance. However what Alex said was totally true it did not get all areas wrong for snow totals basically NYC and west was the fail. Busy today classes start so I will be on when I can. Have a great one!
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:44 am

Encouraging runs and analysis by the model guys above. We've got a storm brewing, we know that, and it's encouraging to see those south of LI runs.Let the cards fall as they may.With the clipper and this coming up.....Happy Days at NJ Strong!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Analog96 Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:46 am

jmanley32 wrote:Interesting on how the ensembles are so different than the operational, def one to watch Euro run would be nice but the Euro has really goota come back with a vengeance.  However what Alex said was totally true it did not get all areas wrong for snow totals basically NYC and west was the fail.  Busy today classes start so I will be on when I can.  Have a great one!

The EURO tends to do better with Miller A systems.

However, I need to see some consistency from it before I hug it.

Analog96
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:06 am

Analog96 wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:Interesting on how the ensembles are so different than the operational, def one to watch Euro run would be nice but the Euro has really goota come back with a vengeance.  However what Alex said was totally true it did not get all areas wrong for snow totals basically NYC and west was the fail.  Busy today classes start so I will be on when I can.  Have a great one!

Greg,

i sated this numerous times that EURO handles Southern Vorts/Systems much better than the GFS and the GFS handles Northern Vorts better - some way built into the algorithms of each computer. That being said the evolution of last storm was so dynamic and hair line that was we saw each got something correct. You are absolutely right that we do not fair well from Miller B's but Miller A much better so let's nail this one and the model I ma hugging is my wife - HAHAHA!! My "new" method is going by ensembles and their mean over the OP's going forward.

This from NWS
SMALL WINTER WEATHER EVENT IS EXPECT ON THURSDAY NIGHT INTO
FRIDAY FOLLOWED BY VERY COLD WEATHER. SEE THE AREA FORECAST
DISCUSSION FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.

YE ANOTHER LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IS FORECAST TO AFFECT THE REGION
SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY. UNCERTAINTY IN THE FORECAST TRACK FOR
THIS SYSTEM IS HIGH AT THIS TIME. IT APPEARS THE MOST LIKELY TRACK
FOR THE LOW IS TO THE SOUTH OF THE REGION. THIS WOULD RESULT IN
MOSTLY SNOW FOR OUR AREA. IF THIS IS THE CASE...THERE IS THE
POTENTIAL FOR 6 INCHES OR MORE OF SNOW. SINCE THIS IS A
PROGRESSIVE SYSTEM...MAXIMUM AMOUNTS WOULD BE MODERATE - LESS THAN
A FOOT.

HOWEVER...THERE IS A POSSIBLY THAT THE SYSTEM TRACKS TO OUR
NORTHWEST. THIS WOULD RESULT IN MOSTLY RAIN AND POSSIBLY 1-2
INCHES OF LIQUID. THIS...COMBINED WITH MELTING SNOW...COULD
RESULT IN FLOODING. - F this I say!!!!!!!!!

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Analog96 Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:08 am

amugs wrote:
Analog96 wrote:

Greg,

i sated this numerous times that EURO handles Southern Vorts/Systems much better than the GFS and the GFS handles Northern Vorts better - some way built into the algorithms of each computer. That being said the evolution of last storm was so dynamic and hair line that was we saw each got something correct. You are absolutely right that we do not fair well from Miller B's but Miller A much better so let's nail this one and the model I ma hugging is my wife - HAHAHA!! My "new" method is going by ensembles and their mean over the OP's going forward.

This from NWS
SMALL WINTER WEATHER EVENT IS EXPECT ON THURSDAY NIGHT INTO  
FRIDAY FOLLOWED BY VERY COLD WEATHER. SEE THE AREA FORECAST  
DISCUSSION FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.  

YE ANOTHER LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IS FORECAST TO AFFECT THE REGION  
SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY. UNCERTAINTY IN THE FORECAST TRACK FOR  
THIS SYSTEM IS HIGH AT THIS TIME. IT APPEARS THE MOST LIKELY TRACK  
FOR THE LOW IS TO THE SOUTH OF THE REGION. THIS WOULD RESULT IN  
MOSTLY SNOW FOR OUR AREA. IF THIS IS THE CASE...THERE IS THE  
POTENTIAL FOR 6 INCHES OR MORE OF SNOW. SINCE THIS IS A  
PROGRESSIVE SYSTEM...MAXIMUM AMOUNTS WOULD BE MODERATE - LESS THAN  
A FOOT.  

HOWEVER...THERE IS A POSSIBLY THAT THE SYSTEM TRACKS TO OUR  
NORTHWEST. THIS WOULD RESULT IN MOSTLY RAIN AND POSSIBLY 1-2  
INCHES OF LIQUID. THIS...COMBINED WITH MELTING SNOW...COULD  
RESULT IN FLOODING.  - F this I say!!!!!!!!!

Typically, Miller A's have more risk of changing to rain here, but there have been plenty of Miller A's that did not change to rain, see 1996 or 2003.

Miller B's are colder, but run more risk of busting, like the last one.

Analog96
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:12 am

Lets keep in mind with regards the the GFS. It was not some huge coup. It merely got the track. Not even close to verifying with intensity of the LP and QPF. Eastern half of LI was still 15-30" which the GFS did NOT get right in most locals.
My statement on the GFS ends with this. Even the sun shines on a dogs ass every now and then.

sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by skinsfan1177 Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:18 am

Another keppoint for this storm will be the PV and how strong it is correct. Which would help the storm stay south instead of a GLC
skinsfan1177
skinsfan1177
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Analog96 Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:20 am

sroc4 wrote:Lets keep in mind with regards the the GFS.  It was not some huge coup.  It merely got the track.  Not even close to verifying with intensity of the LP and QPF.  Eastern half of LI was still 15-30" which the GFS did NOT get right in most locals.    
My statement on the GFS ends with this.  Even the sun shines on a dogs ass every now and then.

The GFS has a dry bias and doesn't do well with local maxima.

IF it can continuously get the overall tracks right, we can take biases into account and actually come up with a very good forecast.

Analog96
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:28 am

Analog96 wrote:
sroc4 wrote:Lets keep in mind with regards the the GFS.  It was not some huge coup.  It merely got the track.  Not even close to verifying with intensity of the LP and QPF.  Eastern half of LI was still 15-30" which the GFS did NOT get right in most locals.    
My statement on the GFS ends with this.  Even the sun shines on a dogs ass every now and then.

IF it can continuously get the overall tracks right, we can take biases into account and actually come up with a very good forecast.

Very true. But until I see it over and over verifying and catching on before or along with the Euro it is going to be hard for me to trust it until proven otherwise. I of course will be analyzing it just like the others and if it appears to have the right idea I will use it.

sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Analog96 Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:29 am

sroc4 wrote:
Analog96 wrote:

Very true.  But until I see it over and over verifying and catching on before or along with the Euro it is going to be hard for me to trust it until proven otherwise. I of course will be analyzing it just like the others and if it appears to have the right idea I will use it.  
I agree.

Analog96
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Snow88 Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:30 am

This is why I think the Euro might have the right idea with the Monday storm

AO will be negative but rising
Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 2ir9eo5

NAO will also be slightly negative but rising
Official Long Range Thread 6.0 - Page 12 29xgls0
Snow88
Snow88
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:31 am

skinsfan1177 wrote:Another keppoint for this storm will be the PV and how strong it is correct. Which would help the storm stay south instead of a GLC

Yes. To me right now:

GLC= 5%

apps runner/coastal hugger = 30%

Supressed OTS= 30%

S of LI somewhere near the BM=35%

sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Snow88 Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:00 am

GFS is really active with 3 storm chances moving forward
Snow88
Snow88
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:22 am

Something I just noticed, and I'm sure it's already been said, but another reason that this storm is currently being progged to remain on more of a southern route versus a northern one (for now) is that the clipper from Friday actually helps to create a temporary east-based block. This allows the upstream flow to be slightly more zonal than meridional, and steer the storm more from westerly versus southerly or south-southwesterly. It also helps to promote that confluent region that was also stated. In my opinion, this will be the key to the evolution of the system. Our PNA will be strongly positive regardless, thanks to a beautiful omega block being created by Rossby wave train re-development from a rapidly intensifying system east of the Asian continent. This will also help to set up our Aleutian trough. Just my thoughts. Surprisingly, I'm feeling REALLY confident about this storm producing right now. I have always been a fan of Miller-A type storms, but SWFE can "drop a lot in a little" purely through warm advection processes. Combining these two I think can set up for a surprise "fast and furious" type event. Again, just my opinion.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum