NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long Range Thread 16.0

+53
dad4twoboys
toople
Aiosamoney21
Vinnydula
jimv45
petep10
Taffy
lglickman1
mikeypizano
SNOW MAN
Sanchize06
devsman
Nyi1058
mwilli5783
Sparky Sparticles
Smittyaj623
adamfitz1969
essexcountypete
weatherwatchermom
rb924119
oldtimer
sabamfa
Radz
GreyBeard
Scullybutcher
SnowForest
dkodgis
WeatherBob
Carter bk
Math23x7
SENJsnowman
RJB8525
Quietace
nutleyblizzard
docstox12
NjWeatherGuy
Dunnzoo
frank 638
jmanley32
billg315
skinsfan1177
SoulSingMG
Grselig
aiannone
algae888
Snow88
sroc4
MattyICE
Frank_Wx
crippo84
CPcantmeasuresnow
track17
amugs
57 posters

Page 26 of 34 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30 ... 34  Next

Go down

Long Range Thread 16.0 - Page 26 Empty Re: Long Range Thread 16.0

Post by jmanley32 Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:47 pm

Ensemble mean snowfall map is barely any snow that 1.0 qpf that hugs the coast is almost all rain verbatim.

jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:49 pm

nutleyblizzard wrote:
amugs wrote:MEAN pecip is over 1" , that is a very high ceiling with this storm when you get a mean pumping out that kind of moisture.
A hybrid storm on the GEFS with an overrunning then a transfer to a coastal bomb that crawls the coast.
Vernbatim the shores would get damaged .

ENS run not an OP here peeps.
Wow. With the slow moving nature of this event along with a pressing high to the north, I can only imagine what would happen if this monster takes the traditional BM track. They would be measuring snow in feet from DC to B-oston.
I looked on the wx bell maps, verbatim none of the ensembles are that impressive, yet anyways, and the mean translates to mainly rain per their maps.

jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:35 pm

jmanley32 wrote:
nutleyblizzard wrote:
amugs wrote:MEAN pecip is over 1" , that is a very high ceiling with this storm when you get a mean pumping out that kind of moisture.
A hybrid storm on the GEFS with an overrunning then a transfer to a coastal bomb that crawls the coast.
Vernbatim the shores would get damaged .

ENS run not an OP here peeps.
Wow. With the slow moving nature of this event along with a pressing high to the north, I can only imagine what would happen if this monster takes the traditional BM track. They would be measuring snow in feet from DC to B-oston.
I looked on the wx bell maps, verbatim none of the ensembles are that impressive, yet anyways, and the mean translates to mainly rain per their maps.

Look at e46 on rhe EPS and it is a monster originating from the GOM after shooting south out of the sw and rides up the coast. 
The ENS mean is there. 
Temp profiles at this range are off.
Banana HP with the EPO press will deliver low level cold air. 
The synoptic set up is there and ripe.
I really don't know what ENS Jan you looked at but these are impressive.
Long Range Thread 16.0 - Page 26 Gefs_qpf_ens_ma_32.png.7d26b94ab0b28fa59ffdeb3ac2b98efa

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:22 am

NWS disco firmer with the coastal storm this morning.Precip type depends on sun angle this time of year and preponderance of E NE winds.Right now, looks like interior sections have all snow which is their forecast for me in the HV but they say it could be a possibility for all snow to the coast as well.Hoping for an area wide 20 inch snowstorm, especially for Al and J man who have been short changed this winter.Tracking fun!!!!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:28 am

Good morning Doc. I just watched the weather on Channel 4 in NY. That Met said it wouldn't be that intense of a storm. I think he's being a little premature with that call don't you.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:56 am

SNOW MAN wrote:Good morning Doc. I just watched the weather on Channel 4 in NY. That Met said it wouldn't be that intense of a storm. I think he's being a little premature with that call don't you.

Good morning SNOWMAN.Yes, I would say that is premature as NWS is feeling just the opposite.Still 4 days away so more time has to pass before we get a handle on this one.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:09 am

Hoping we'll get more info from our experts on the board this morning about this potential storm. I'm just hoping it's good news for everyone on here. I'm just wondering if this will be our last snow threat for this year or could there possibly be more.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:47 am

docstox12 wrote:NWS disco firmer with the coastal storm this morning.Precip type depends on sun angle this time of year and preponderance of E NE winds.Right now, looks like interior sections have all snow which is their forecast for me in the HV but they say it could be a possibility for all snow to the coast as well.Hoping for an area wide 20 inch snowstorm, especially for Al and J man who have been short changed this winter.Tracking fun!!!!

Hey Doc! Thanks for always looking out for us coasties! I think the good karma you built up by rooting us on throughout Dec-Jan, has already come to back to repay you bigly in Feb-Mar! ha ha

Our problem living on the coast is that at a certain point the 'snow to the coast' stops. The question for us always is, where is the southernmost point of 'all snow to the coast' this time? Alot of times it's LI. Sometimes it's even north of that into southern CT. I guess NYC sometimes, but it feels like most of the time the northern gradient is the NJ TPK or I-195, basically cutting out all of the Shore.

I'm thinking that fate awaits us again this go round. We've had accumulating snows in March the last few years, but never from a coastal. Once you get as far south as Monmouth and Ocean counties, I think the gulf stream is still too strong or something.

I guess you guys have the same issues: just how far n and w does 'interior' mean this time? We have to worry about track and temp, you have to worry about track and precip shield. Only LI is guaranteed to be cold enough and close enough! lol

So, it is what it is and it will be what it will be. I'll just follow the action and root for the snow. I guess it's like watching a ball game...for 5 days!

Last edited by SENJsnowman on Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:48 am

Upton

LONG TERM /SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY/...
Potential storm is looking likely toward the end of the forecast
period, although exact forecast details remain in question.

However, global models in remarkable agreement on potent low moving
out of the mid west toward the Mid Atlantic coast by Tuesday.
Multiple low pressure centers, or one deepening low, slowly move
across the western Atlantic, passing just south of the region
Wednesday and Thursday.

This will set the stage for increasing NE/E winds, and significant
precipitation, especially from Tuesday night through Thursday.

As for precipitation type this far out, a rain/snow mix near the
coast during the daytime is possible, but cannot rule out
predominately snow either.

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:01 am

syosnow94 wrote:Upton

LONG TERM /SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY/...
Potential storm is looking likely toward the end of the forecast
period, although exact forecast details remain in question.

However, global models in remarkable agreement on potent low moving
out of the mid west toward the Mid Atlantic coast by Tuesday.
Multiple low pressure centers, or one deepening low, slowly move
across the western Atlantic, passing just south of the region
Wednesday and Thursday.

This will set the stage for increasing NE/E winds, and significant
precipitation, especially from Tuesday night through Thursday.

As for precipitation type this far out, a rain/snow mix near the
coast during the daytime is possible, but cannot rule out
predominately snow either.
wed Thurs now huh so we have 5 or 6 days left to track great lol
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:04 am

SENJsnowman wrote:
docstox12 wrote:NWS disco firmer with the coastal storm this morning.Precip type depends on sun angle this time of year and preponderance of E NE winds.Right now, looks like interior sections have all snow which is their forecast for me in the HV but they say it could be a possibility for all snow to the coast as well.Hoping for an area wide 20 inch snowstorm, especially for Al and J man who have been short changed this winter.Tracking fun!!!!

Hey Doc! Thanks for always looking out for us coasties! I think the good karma you built up by rooting us on throughout Dec-Jan, has already come to back to repay you bigly in Feb-Mar! ha ha

Our problem living on the coast is that at a certain point the 'snow to the coast' stops. The question for us always is, where is the southernmost point of 'all snow to the coast' this time? Alot of times it's LI. Sometimes it's even north of that into southern CT. I guess NYC sometimes, but it feels like most of the time the northern gradient is the NJ TPK or I-195, basically cutting out all of the Shore.

I'm thinking that fate awaits us again this go round. We've had accumulating snows in March the last few years, but never from a coastal. Once you get as far south as Monmouth and Ocean counties, I think the gulf stream is still too strong or something.

I guess you guys have the same issues: just how far n and w does 'interior' mean this time? We have to worry about track and temp, you have to worry about track and precip shield. Only LI is guaranteed to be cold enough and close enough! lol

So, it is what it is and it will be what it will be. I'll just follow the action and root for the snow. I guess it's like watching a ball game...for 5 days!

No problem SENJ! My Sister, a snow lover like me, lives in Ocean Grove, so I am always hoping the coast and LI get good ones, even if I get shut out being too far N and W.That's why I always hope for area wide snowstorms so everybody on our board can enjoy it and post all during the storm.This storm does have the possibility of all snow everywhere as Jimmy juts posted above in the Upton disco.As you say, it's a long ballgame here watching the models.Let's see what our long range crew reads in the models coming up.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:40 am

This mornings GFS snowfall map. As always this far out it most likely won't happen as depicted but always fun to look at.

Long Range Thread 16.0 - Page 26 Imagep13
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:31 am

Not that I’m saying it will have the same impacts because I’m not BUT........the way all the models are similar in track and somewhat intensity, AND the way the media is talking about this upcoming storm, all 4 to 5 days out this is starting to remind me of the superstorm of 1993.  

Heck it’s  the lead story on the local news radio stations already

aND THE SCI is already up to 50%

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeypizano Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:35 am

syosnow94 wrote:

IMO, Frank should change that to possibility of a snow storm in general, not 1" in CP...
mikeypizano
mikeypizano
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffy Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:36 am

Is a storm coming out of the West on the track this one appears to be on a Miller A or B?
Taffy
Taffy
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:41 am

Taffy. Miller b’s are storms that look like they will track west and then re-develop off the coast. They are more hit and miss for our area and favor areas more up in New England. Miller A storms track from the southern states up the eastern seaboard. They are usually bigger storms for us and are responsible for most of our memorable snowstorms. This threat started off looking like a miller b but is trending towards a miller a

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffy Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:43 am

Jim. Thanks so much! My next question was if they were like blood types and could be AB's lol. You answered in a very clear way that I could understand.
Taffy
Taffy
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:45 am

syosnow94 wrote:Not that I’m saying it will have the same impacts because I’m not BUT........the way all the models are similar in track and somewhat intensity, AND the way the media is talking about this upcoming storm, all 4 to 5 days out this is starting to remind me of the superstorm of 1993.  

Better minds than mine can comment but I don't see that at all, at least in it's evolution and path.

I'll take the same end results though.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:48 am

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:Not that I’m saying it will have the same impacts because I’m not BUT........the way all the models are similar in track and somewhat intensity, AND the way the media is talking about this upcoming storm, all 4 to 5 days out this is starting to remind me of the superstorm of 1993.  

Better minds than mine can comment but I don't see that at all, at least in it's evolution and path.

I'll take the results Lake Wallenpaupack in PA had with the '93 storm...36 inches!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:54 am

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:56 am

docstox12 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:

I'll take the results Lake Wallenpaupack in PA had with the '93 storm...36 inches!

We had 24 here, 3-4 inches of it sleet. WOuld have been 3 feet easy if the sleet didn't happen.

Syracuse had 43 inches in that storm. Syos parents house in the Catskills I believe had 98.6 inches, as per his reliable measurements. That also could have been his temperature that day, I forget which it was.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:01 am

The 93 storm dumped 38" at my location that's including about 4-5 inches of sleet.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SNOW MAN Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:25 am

Just watched Glen Hurricane Schwartz on the Philly station. He said this possible storm would start on Tuesday around late morning and end Thursday morning. He said it would be a long duration event. I can't wait to hear from our forecasters on the board.
Frank, thanks for the great write up in the other thread.
SNOW MAN
SNOW MAN
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:58 pm

CMC wants to throw a nice over running event at us next weekend with a 1044 HP and a very interestingly placed baroclinic zone.  This would likely produce a nice mod event if it occurred verbatim. Do Not be surprised if we are tracking something like this by mid late week.  

Long Range Thread 16.0 - Page 26 Gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_37

Long Range Thread 16.0 - Page 26 Gem_z500_vort_us_38

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:14 pm

sroc4 wrote:CMC wants to throw a nice over running event at us next weekend with a 1044 HP and a very interestingly placed baroclinic zone.  This would likely produce a nice mod event if it occurred verbatim. Do Not be surprised if we are tracking something like this by mid late week.  

Long Range Thread 16.0 - Page 26 Gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_37

Long Range Thread 16.0 - Page 26 Gem_z500_vort_us_38

Scott,
we lose the NAO overall but the NATL is so jammed up it may take a week to clear it out after our next storm next weekend and may enhance 50/50's. EPO looks to hang in there and the PNA rise seems to be in the means. There seems to be a jet retraction in the PAC again that will aid in this. So what does this mean - snow chances extended and Spring will be delayed maybe through mid April if the MT stays as is and teh Jet retraction forecasts holds.

We looked at this for February but were two weeks off - not bad IMO but still wish it were then casu eteh air mass at 7SD Bn is much different then than Mid March - Oh well!

From some readings and research this maybe a sign of winters to come with more N NAo in teh emans as we head into a dead sun - solar minimum and higher tropical volcanic activity.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:08 pm

I noticed the use of remarkable by Upton. And Mugs is right about the dormancy period forecasted for the sun. I don’t think we can predict what that will do but with volcanic activity, warming poles, more extreme weather patterns state-side, and global warmng, it is going to be all Jack in the box.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Long Range Thread 16.0 - Page 26 Empty Palm Sunday Storm March 25th

Post by petep10 Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:59 am

Too early to post a separate thread. We have to get past the mid week storm first. Winter is not done with us yet. Put those golf clubs back in the closet.

Long Range Thread 16.0 - Page 26 Index

Long Range Thread 16.0 - Page 26 Gem_asnow24_us_24

[code]Long Range Thread 16.0 - Page 26 Gfs_mslp_pcpn_us_24

Of course the GFS is south as usual this winter, but it will probably correct over the next few days.

petep10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 34 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30 ... 34  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum