NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

May 2018 Observations & Discussions

+24
aiannone
jimv45
SoulSingMG
bluebythec
billg315
ak926
Quietace
sroc4
jmanley32
rb924119
Math23x7
weatherwatchermom
Vinnydula
Radz
1190ftalt
Grselig
Dunnzoo
Dtone
frank 638
dkodgis
Snow88
amugs
skinsfan1177
Frank_Wx
28 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

May 2018 Observations & Discussions - Page 3 Empty Re: May 2018 Observations & Discussions

Post by bluebythec Sat May 12, 2018 6:55 pm

ISSUED: 4:59 PM MAY. 12, 2018 – NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS ISSUED TORNADO WATCH 85 IN
EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EDT SUNDAY FOR THE FOLLOWING AREAS

IN DELAWARE THIS WATCH INCLUDES 3 COUNTIES

IN CENTRAL DELAWARE

KENT

IN NORTHERN DELAWARE

NEW CASTLE

IN SOUTHERN DELAWARE

SUSSEX

IN MARYLAND THIS WATCH INCLUDES 5 COUNTIES

IN NORTHEAST MARYLAND

CAROLINE CECIL KENT
QUEEN ANNE'S TALBOT

IN NEW JERSEY THIS WATCH INCLUDES 8 COUNTIES

IN SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY

ATLANTIC BURLINGTON CAMDEN
CAPE MAY CUMBERLAND GLOUCESTER
OCEAN SALEM

bluebythec

Back to top Go down

May 2018 Observations & Discussions - Page 3 Empty Re: May 2018 Observations & Discussions

Post by amugs Sun May 13, 2018 9:46 am

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL THE MOMS HERE!!

amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by frank 638 Sun May 13, 2018 11:32 am

Happy mother's day to all the best mom's in the world

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sun May 13, 2018 12:17 pm

Get out the Depends this week peeps it is going to be wet overall but temp look to be AN.
May 2018 Observations & Discussions - Page 3 Gfs_ap10

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Radz Sun May 13, 2018 6:24 pm

rb924119 wrote:Scott!!! Well now it's officially a tracking party! Haha
I think quite a few will start peering in as the threat gets closer, and agree tropics may get an early start...
Radz
Radz
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Sun May 13, 2018 6:37 pm

This is a public service announcement.
The GFS schemes are grossly inadequate for forecasting TC's. The FV3 is running more time steps, with the same resolution and physics as the OP GFS currently. This leads to the same errors, which can be exasperated. The GFS will show a TC past day 10 for the rest of the season with little temporal movement towards the near term. This is because it is a systematic error within itself. Thus, do not get worked up over it, and secondly, do not believe it.  
The Caribbean is leaning more favorable in the 10-15 day period for some sort of cyclogeneis. However, there is little certainty if it will occur, and if it does, what will come of it. Once thing is for certain, the GFS is not forming that TC because of pattern progression.
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Sun May 13, 2018 6:38 pm

Earlier on I said the target period would be the 15th-25th for the start of the tropical tracking season. Watch for a feedback system later this week in the Gulf in response to a first trough split, and then what looks like will be a more substantial system later on in this same period. Also, I'm going to set this up too basis what I think will evolve with that that system - I think we will be in store for an overall ugly Memoriak Day Weekend.

Also, and admittedly this is banter, but is related to the topic at hand; I just invested in a second 27" 5k monitor to use with my 27" desktop. Reason? ALL THE BETTER TO FORECAST WITH!!!!!! Can't wait to get it and set it up next week!!!!!!!

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Sun May 13, 2018 6:43 pm

Quietace wrote:This is a public service announcement.
The GFS schemes are grossly inadequate for forecasting TC's. The FV3 is running more time steps, with the same resolution and physics as the OP GFS currently. This leads to the same errors, which can be exasperated. The GFS will show a TC past day 10 for the rest of the season with little temporal movement towards the near term. This is because it is a systematic error within itself. Thus, do not get worked up over it, and secondly, do not believe it.  
The Caribbean is leaning more favorable in the 10-15 day period for some sort of cyclogeneis. However, there is little certainty if it will occur, and if it does, what will come of it. Once thing is for certain, the GFS is not forming that TC because of pattern progression.

Thanks for the Intel, Ryan!!! I haven't had a chance to delve into the differences, so your information is much appreciated. However, I must respectfully disagree, but only in this certain case, as the solutions those two models, and now the ICON, CMC to a degree, and the CFSV2 are all showing DO fit the pattern profession; and they fit it quite well in my humble opinion. Obviously, as you stated, it's far from certain, but I'm certainly expecting it to play out, and have for some time given the factors in play. In a vast majority of other instances, you are most certainly correct in stating that the GFS is horrible with tropics, as well as pretty much most everything else aha

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Sun May 13, 2018 6:45 pm

The JMA weeklies also were in strong support of the GFS-type solution.

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Sun May 13, 2018 6:51 pm

rb924119 wrote:

Thanks for the Intel, Ryan!!! I haven't had a chance to delve into the differences, so your information is much appreciated. However, I must respectfully disagree, but only in this certain case, as the solutions those two models, and now the ICON, CMC to a degree, and the CFSV2 are all showing DO fit the pattern profession; and they fit it quite well in my humble opinion. Obviously, as you stated, it's far from certain, but I'm certainly expecting it to play out, and have for some time given the factors in play. In a vast majority of other instances, you are most certainly correct in stating that the GFS is horrible with tropics, as well as pretty much most everything else aha
No model is remotely close to the GFS's solution as a result of its poor TC handling. I am not stating that a low will not form, or that it is not favorable. I previously stated the region was favorable for cyclogenesis. I am simply stating that the GFS is forming the low, and then intensifying it, as a result of that poor TC handling. If it was pattern driven (In the model itself), it would not still be at 384 hours. It is no consolation that the EC and its ensembles also are rather weak with it, as is the rest of guidance. I do not have time to go back and forth, but we will see how this pans out over the next few days. All the best RB!
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Sun May 13, 2018 8:36 pm

Quietace wrote:
rb924119 wrote:

No model is remotely close to the GFS's solution as a result of its poor TC handling. I am not stating that a low will not form, or that it is not favorable. I previously stated the region was favorable for cyclogenesis. I am simply stating that the GFS is forming the low, and then intensifying it, as a result of that poor TC handling. If it was pattern driven (In the model itself), it would not still be at 384 hours. It is no consolation that the EC and its ensembles also are rather weak with it, as is the rest of guidance. I do not have time to go back and forth, but we will see how this pans out over the next few days. All the best RB!

I understand your issue with time constraints, but as a quick counter (again, respectfully), all sources of guidance I mentioned have the "system of interest" now within the 7-10 day period, though as you stated, to varying degrees of intensity. However, the development has consistently remained within the same approximate development period through several days of cycles. I think what you're referencing is more or less the speed of northward/eastward progression, and not necessarily the development. As for the intensification and forecast strength of this system, what PHYSICAL reason(s) do you see to be of the opinion that intensification on the order of what the average of the GFS runs has been is unreasonable, and the other guidance is to be trusted (ignoring model algorithms, etc.)? Personally, I think the GFS/FV3-GFS solutions for the physical forcing mechanisms fit much better than the other guidance, and expect it to begin showing up with more consistency in due time. This is a prime example of pattern recognition versus taking modeling "at face value". Now, I full well know you're a bright meteorologist and you have your reasons, and these questions are not only directed at you, as again, I understand your time constraints - I am merely providing talking points to further this discussion for ANYBODY who wishes to chime in. If you have the time, I'd absolutely love to see your response, though, buddy!!! I hope you're enjoying your official title, my friend!!! Haha

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Mon May 14, 2018 12:15 pm

Ray spot on brother

May 2018 Observations & Discussions - Page 3 Two_atl_5d0
May 2018 Observations & Discussions - Page 3 Two_atl_2d0
May 2018 Observations & Discussions - Page 3 Radar_flanim

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Mon May 14, 2018 12:19 pm

rb924119 wrote:I honestly haven't been paying too much attention these last couple weeks. I've been so busy doing firewood on my weekends and then working I haven't much time to actually sit down and look. That said, I DO think the MJO is making itself known as the 6-10 day forecasts appear to be backing down from their corresponding temperature forecasts in the 10-15 over the last several days of cycles. Again, I cannot concretely confirm or deny that, though, as I haven't actually sat down and done "one-to-one" comparisons. I WILL say I'm still very anxious to see if something tropical (or sub-tropical) tries popping once the MJO rolls into Phase 2, as I believe that phase corresponds very well to development in the Gulf and along and/or just offshore of the Southeast coast, as well as the time-mean surface pressures remaining higher than normal across the east-central U.S. thanks to anomalous soil moisture content leading to cooler than average surface temperatures and resultant higher pressure then aided by the MJO Phase 2 (probably should confirm that, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading a paper or two on the MJO a while back......my memory is shotty AT BEST, though so take that with extreme caution hahahaha)

As a follow-up, I like the period from ~May 15th through ~May 25th for our first true tropical/sub-tropical system to develop either in the western/northwestern Caribbean, Gulf, and or extreme western Atlantic. The reasons were generally discussed above, but I also like the look of -AO and negative SOI to assist penetrating, albeit transient troughs cutting through the eastern CONUS. This will help supply the surface ridging and aid in enhanced lower-level convergence along and near the coasts. I'm officially on the board with a forecast, so let's see how this pans out!!! Haha any thoughts?

A trough split will be the most likely culprit that then feeds back close to land rather than a classic tropical system that develops from scratch.

From May 7th:

Love it!

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Mon May 14, 2018 12:49 pm

sroc4 wrote:
rb924119 wrote:I honestly haven't been paying too much attention these last couple weeks. I've been so busy doing firewood on my weekends and then working I haven't much time to actually sit down and look. That said, I DO think the MJO is making itself known as the 6-10 day forecasts appear to be backing down from their corresponding temperature forecasts in the 10-15 over the last several days of cycles. Again, I cannot concretely confirm or deny that, though, as I haven't actually sat down and done "one-to-one" comparisons. I WILL say I'm still very anxious to see if something tropical (or sub-tropical) tries popping once the MJO rolls into Phase 2, as I believe that phase corresponds very well to development in the Gulf and along and/or just offshore of the Southeast coast, as well as the time-mean surface pressures remaining higher than normal across the east-central U.S. thanks to anomalous soil moisture content leading to cooler than average surface temperatures and resultant higher pressure then aided by the MJO Phase 2 (probably should confirm that, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading a paper or two on the MJO a while back......my memory is shotty AT BEST, though so take that with extreme caution hahahaha)

As a follow-up, I like the period from ~May 15th through ~May 25th for our first true tropical/sub-tropical system to develop either in the western/northwestern Caribbean, Gulf, and or extreme western Atlantic. The reasons were generally discussed above, but I also like the look of -AO and negative SOI to assist penetrating, albeit transient troughs cutting through the eastern CONUS. This will help supply the surface ridging and aid in enhanced lower-level convergence along and near the coasts. I'm officially on the board with a forecast, so let's see how this pans out!!! Haha any thoughts?

A trough split will be the most likely culprit that then feeds back close to land rather than a classic tropical system that develops from scratch.

From May 7th:

Love it!

Wow. That's some good sh*t right there. Nice work, Rb. Hello everyone else! Severe weather threat looks ripe for mañana!
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon May 14, 2018 9:37 pm

18Z RGEM says NNJ, NYC and LHV, LI gets cruahed

May 2018 Observations & Discussions - Page 3 BEE73B5B-CA9A-4864-A7D7-3A97662EAB03.gif.e39ffae6e5069dfd475d3cc1fd21bb90

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by billg315 Mon May 14, 2018 10:28 pm

Yeah looks like some big storms tomorrow. Hoping they hold off until after 6 pm so I’m home.
billg315
billg315

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Tue May 15, 2018 2:14 am

Latest from NWS SPC: Enhanced creeping south and east. We're in for a rockin' Tuesday, kids.

May 2018 Observations & Discussions - Page 3 648d1d10

SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Snow88 Tue May 15, 2018 10:08 am

Partly sunny here

64 degrees

Looking forward to the severe threat later on unless it falls apart before reaching the coast .

ABC 7

May 2018 Observations & Discussions - Page 3 Vfhaac
Snow88
Snow88
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dkodgis Tue May 15, 2018 11:49 am

It is about 12 noon. I see the start of that eerie yellow light that starts to shine through when storms are coming in an hour or so Still outside. Muggy. Warm. The storms are coming.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Tue May 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Been so busy did t know we under enhanced today. Would like to see some pounding storms. Threat is winds and tornado. This includes NYC area. Lets see if they hold on
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Tue May 15, 2018 12:30 pm

JUST IN. Holy crap. It is not often you see "moderate" around here.

May 2018 Observations & Discussions - Page 3 88deb710
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulSingMG Tue May 15, 2018 12:48 pm

There is TOO MUCH sunshine to not be very worried about the storms later. Atmosphere is COOKIN.
SoulSingMG
SoulSingMG
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jimv45 Tue May 15, 2018 1:23 pm

Just put under a Tornado watch.

jimv45
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Tue May 15, 2018 2:24 pm

SoulSingMG wrote:JUST IN. Holy crap. It is not often you see "moderate" around here.

May 2018 Observations & Discussions - Page 3 88deb710
shoot wow for real?! Oh not down here. Still could b pretty bad all way to coast.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue May 15, 2018 2:47 pm

Look at whats chugging our way!! This may rock us big time

May 2018 Observations & Discussions - Page 3 Inxr1Kunva_h

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Tue May 15, 2018 3:09 pm

Dam this is growing and sagging S - goona be a fun time with these or NOT!!!
https://radar.weather.gov/Legend/NCR/BGM_NCR_Legend_0.gif

May 2018 Observations & Discussions - Page 3 BGM_NCR_Legend_0

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dtone Tue May 15, 2018 4:26 pm

ferocious storms up in Orange county. Anyone up that way here? Tornado warning and some reports of large damaging hail

89 here dew 66. winds picking up and increasing clouds to the NW.

Dtone
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum