NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

January 2019 Observations and Discussions

+38
essexcountypete
sabamfa
SoulSingMG
RJB8525
Smarnold
Quietace
oldtimer
Taffy
crippo84
Sparky Sparticles
mako460
sroc4
jmanley32
hyde345
brownie
Smitty623
skinsfan1177
larryrock72
bobjohnsonforthehall
1190ftalt
GreyBeard
algae888
SENJsnowman
Radz
Grselig
Vinnydula
Frank_Wx
aiannone
heehaw453
amugs
Dtone
docstox12
billg315
dkodgis
frank 638
weatherwatchermom
Dunnzoo
CPcantmeasuresnow
42 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

January 2019 Observations and Discussions - Page 9 Empty Re: January 2019 Observations and Discussions

Post by crippo84 Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:03 am

Rain has ended in the city and it's actually pretty comfortable out at about 43 degrees and no wind.

Someone's got to be pulling their hair out over at city hall. The November storm wasn't prepared for and obviously was a disaster. Now the city heavily salts the roads when a few flurries are in the forecast. I don't think I've ever seen so much salt they put down in preparation for this storm only to have it all washed away with not even a flake seen in Manhattan. It's been the norm so far this season since November - what a waste of taxpayer money.

crippo84

Back to top Go down

January 2019 Observations and Discussions - Page 9 Empty Re: January 2019 Observations and Discussions

Post by dkodgis Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:17 am

Now a very heavy, icy rain.

dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:42 am

crippo84 wrote:Rain has ended in the city and it's actually pretty comfortable out at about 43 degrees and no wind.

Someone's got to be pulling their hair out over at city hall. The November storm wasn't prepared for and obviously was a disaster. Now the city heavily salts the roads when a few flurries are in the forecast. I don't think I've ever seen so much salt they put down in preparation for this storm only to have it all washed away with not even a flake seen in Manhattan. It's been the norm so far this season since November - what a waste of taxpayer money.

New York City and New York State wasting taxpayers money??? NOOOOOOOOO, just can't possibly be,LOL. At least the  storm drains won't freeze up tonight.

29 degrees,looks like a very light FR ATM.Dead calm.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:21 pm

27 right now. Down from 38 two hours age. I am definitely going outside tonight when its bitter cold. 5 minus a solid wind chill. Gonna be awesome!!!!! This may be the highlight of the winter.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:28 pm

The upcoming temps and now this! This is going to cause ALOT of problems and [possible power outages withoput any ice. This is a super long wind advisory too lasting from 6pm today until tomorrow midnight nearly 36 hrs!

CTZ005>012-NJZ002-004-006-103>108-NYZ067>075-078>081-176>179-
210500-
/O.NEW.KOKX.WI.Y.0002.190120T2300Z-190122T0500Z/
Northern Fairfield-Northern New Haven-Northern Middlesex-
Northern New London-Southern Fairfield-Southern New Haven-
Southern Middlesex-Southern New London-Western Passaic-
Eastern Passaic-Hudson-Western Bergen-Eastern Bergen-
Western Essex-Eastern Essex-Western Union-Eastern Union-Orange-
Putnam-Rockland-Northern Westchester-Southern Westchester-
New York (Manhattan)-Bronx-Richmond (Staten Island)-
Kings (Brooklyn)-Northwestern Suffolk-Northeastern Suffolk-
Southwestern Suffolk-Southeastern Suffolk-Northern Queens-
Northern Nassau-Southern Queens-Southern Nassau-
300 PM EST Sun Jan 20 2019

...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO MIDNIGHT EST
MONDAY NIGHT...

The National Weather Service in Upton has issued a Wind Advisory,
which is in effect from 6 PM this evening to midnight EST Monday
night.

* WINDS...Northwest 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph.

* TIMING...Tonight, through Monday and into Monday evening.

* IMPACTS...Strong winds may blow down limbs, trees, and power
lines. Scattered power outages are expected.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Wind Advisory is issued when sustained winds of 31 to 39 mph,
or gusts of 46 to 57 mph, are expected or occurring. Winds this
strong can make driving difficult, especially for high profile
vehicles, in open areas, and on elevated roads and bridges. Use
extra caution.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:29 pm

Grselig wrote:27 right now.  Down from 38 two hours age.  I am definitely going outside tonight when its bitter cold.  5 minus a solid wind chill.  Gonna be awesome!!!!!  This may be the highlight of the winter.
Your crazy, with the winds gusting to 50mph aint going to be no -5, more like -20 or below.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by SENJsnowman Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:49 pm

The air has begun to rapidly vacate areas of higher pressure in urgent pursuit of lower pressure, and it's getting cold! 34* and nw 25 mph...that 34* is double my forecast high of 17* for tomorrow. I voluntarily left Fort Lauderdale for this...specifically for this! lol

SENJsnowman
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:06 pm

jmanley32 wrote:
Grselig wrote:27 right now.  Down from 38 two hours age.  I am definitely going outside tonight when its bitter cold.  5 minus a solid wind chill.  Gonna be awesome!!!!!  This may be the highlight of the winter.
Your crazy, with the winds gusting to 50mph aint going to be no -5, more like -20 or below.

5 minus wind chill asi wrote. Wind chill-20 as u said. I really don’t mean to camp out, but i do like to feel extremes. Coldest i recall was 93. -30!with wind. I was stupid and walked to class over a mile. Would not do that today!
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:15 pm

jmanley32 wrote:The upcoming temps and now this! This is going to cause ALOT of problems and [possible power outages withoput any ice.  This is a super long wind advisory too lasting from 6pm today until tomorrow midnight nearly 36 hrs!

CTZ005>012-NJZ002-004-006-103>108-NYZ067>075-078>081-176>179-
210500-
/O.NEW.KOKX.WI.Y.0002.190120T2300Z-190122T0500Z/
Northern Fairfield-Northern New Haven-Northern Middlesex-
Northern New London-Southern Fairfield-Southern New Haven-
Southern Middlesex-Southern New London-Western Passaic-
Eastern Passaic-Hudson-Western Bergen-Eastern Bergen-
Western Essex-Eastern Essex-Western Union-Eastern Union-Orange-
Putnam-Rockland-Northern Westchester-Southern Westchester-
New York (Manhattan)-Bronx-Richmond (Staten Island)-
Kings (Brooklyn)-Northwestern Suffolk-Northeastern Suffolk-
Southwestern Suffolk-Southeastern Suffolk-Northern Queens-
Northern Nassau-Southern Queens-Southern Nassau-
300 PM EST Sun Jan 20 2019

...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO MIDNIGHT EST
MONDAY NIGHT...

The National Weather Service in Upton has issued a Wind Advisory,
which is in effect from 6 PM this evening to midnight EST Monday
night.

* WINDS...Northwest 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph.

* TIMING...Tonight, through Monday and into Monday evening.

* IMPACTS...Strong winds may blow down limbs, trees, and power
 lines. Scattered power outages are expected.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Wind Advisory is issued when sustained winds of 31 to 39 mph,
or gusts of 46 to 57 mph, are expected or occurring. Winds this
strong can make driving difficult, especially for high profile
vehicles, in open areas, and on elevated roads and bridges. Use
extra caution.

You are so right. This part of the weather is scariest. Many roads and driveways were wet and will ice. Power outage very possible with wind. Dangerous deep cold with no power is serious
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:19 pm

Grselig wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:

5 minus wind chill asi wrote.  Wind chill-20 as u said.   I really don’t mean to camp out, but i do like to feel extremes.  Coldest i recall was 93. -30!with wind.  I was stupid  and walked to class over a mile.  Would not do that today!

I think you're referencing January 1994.

It hit -2 in NYC and most of the HV was -20 give or take a few degrees.

Newburgh, Poughkeepsie and Middletown were all -18 to -23, I recorded -23 in Highland Mills. I actually took a picture of my thermometer because I doubted I'd ever see that again and so far I haven't. One town in NW Jersey, I forget which, bottomed at -34 which tied the state record. Remember these are are all without wind chills.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:23 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
Grselig wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:

5 minus wind chill asi wrote.  Wind chill-20 as u said.   I really don’t mean to camp out, but i do like to feel extremes.  Coldest i recall was 93. -30!with wind.  I was stupid  and walked to class over a mile.  Would not do that today!

Newburgh, Poughkeepsie and Middletown were all -18 to -23, I recorded -23 in Highland Mills. I actually took a picture of my thermometer because I doubted I'd ever see that again and so far I haven't.  One town in NW Jersey, I forget which, bottomed at -34 which tied the state record. Remember these are are all without wind chills.

Probably.   I was in Pittsburgh at the time.  Not sure when winter break would have been     That was cold. Jan 19 1994

Last edited by Grselig on Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:25 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
Grselig wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:

Newburgh, Poughkeepsie and Middletown were all -18 to -23, I recorded -23 in Highland Mills. I actually took a picture of my thermometer because I doubted I'd ever see that again and so far I haven't.  One town in NW Jersey, I forget which, bottomed at -34 which tied the state record. Remember these are are all without wind chills.
So like -50 to -60 with windchills? Thats the bering straits! even alaska can be warmer than that. The issue here is 50mph winds, thats whats going to make the cold unbearable, yeah ill prolly venture out my front door for 2 seconds lol
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:30 pm

jmanley32 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
Grselig wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:

So like -50 to -60 with windchills? Thats the bering straits! even alaska can be warmer than that.  The issue here is 50mph winds, thats whats going to make the cold unbearable, yeah ill prolly venture out my front door for 2 seconds lol

Oh. No.  Back in 1994 I’m pgh It was -30-40 with wind chill.  -3 without according to NWS.   Def not -50.  Still horribly bitter cold.     I am going to go out but not for long!! Just to say i did it
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:48 pm

Grselig wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:
CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:
Grselig wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:

So like -50 to -60 with windchills? Thats the bering straits! even alaska can be warmer than that.  The issue here is 50mph winds, thats whats going to make the cold unbearable, yeah ill prolly venture out my front door for 2 seconds lol

Oh. No.  Back in 1994 I’m pgh It was -30-40 with wind chill.  -3 without according to NWS.   Def not -50.  Still horribly bitter cold.     I am going to go out but not for long!! Just to say i did it
Thats just rediculous...I can't even imagine, thats like so cold you wouldnt even feel the air. I think ur eyes would freeze. I will be putting on my snow goggles if I go out.
LOL, just took the two AC out finally, so far havent needed to but this cold with them in would made our apartment really cold.  Difficult as I have a injured shoulder but had to be done.  Especially for my daughter and god forbid we lose power at least we wont have a breezze coming through. So far not too much wind but the wind advisory starts at 6pm.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:54 pm

Down to 26 real feel 15 from 39 around 11am was last i checked. Thats a pretty big drop so far. Lets see if we can make the actual temp 0 or below, might happen.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:03 pm

This 4.5 inches of concrete white that now encompasses most of Orange County isn't going anywhere for a long time. With a liquid equivalent of 1.5 to 2 inches encased in this snow and sub zero cold tonight and tomorrow night, even the 40 degree temps and rain forecast Wednesday will barely make a dent.

This is much different than 4.5 inches of fluffy white with a LE of a 1/4 inch, much harder to melt this and it's already compressed so that's not even am issue.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:07 pm

jmanley32 wrote:Down to 26 real feel 15 from 39 around 11am was last i checked.  Thats a pretty big drop so far.  Lets see if we can make the actual temp 0 or below, might happen.
. Jman you would like the winds by me they are sustained at 21 and the gusts are cranking up..we were at 53 for a high at 11am and currently at 26* ...
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:10 pm

I’m down to 20 in Wayne nj
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:43 pm

The winds have just started howling, right on cue with the 6pm start of the wind advisory, one gust actually caught me off guard i thought it was a truck no it was the roar of the wind.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:10 pm

CPcantmeasuresnow wrote:This 4.5 inches of concrete white that now encompasses most of Orange County isn't going anywhere for a long time. With a liquid equivalent of 1.5 to 2 inches encased in this snow and sub zero cold tonight and tomorrow night, even the 40 degree temps and rain forecast Wednesday will barely make a dent.

This is much different than 4.5 inches of fluffy white with a LE of a 1/4 inch, much harder to melt this and it's already compressed so that's not even am issue.

CP, I must have tuned into your wavelength.I was just going to post about the 4.5 inches of concrete that will be very hard to melt away.At least we will have some kind of a "snowpack" and have a wintry landscape for a while.I read NWS has 38 on Wednesday and 41 on Thursday followed by a sharp drop in temps.So much better to look out a window in January and see a snowpack than nothing.

15 degrees and a howling wind.Had some very light snow then flurries so when the wind picked up before there was some blowing snow.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:31 pm

Down to 15* here now at 4:30 it was 23

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffy Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:33 pm

18 degrees with a real feel of 4. Winds steady at 18 mph. Occasional gusts at 30 mph.

I have a drafty old house and the heat is cranking....still feeling chilly in here.
Taffy
Taffy
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:14 pm

7*F here with a real feel of -4*F. If it gets much colder, I might just crawl in bed and stay under the blankets until Tuesday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Grselig Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:49 pm

13 here.  feels like 3.  This is great weather. I was outside taking recycling.   ground is white with a dusting.  bitter cold. Wind is alive.   Streets empty.  Quiet.  fireplace smoke in the numbing air.  smells like winter for the first time this year.   Love it.  truly.  (also numb from the cold, but that's the price).  Its all good.
Grselig
Grselig
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:52 pm

15 feels like -2....brrrrr
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by CPcantmeasuresnow Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:21 pm

7.7 degrees.

It's amazing that on January 20th my low of 4.8 on November 23rd is still, for at least a few hours, my low for the season. It just shows how cold that air mass was.
CPcantmeasuresnow
CPcantmeasuresnow
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:39 pm

Current temp 2. Real feel -10. And it's not done getting colder yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum