NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banter Thread 5.0

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by weatherwatchermom on Tue May 05, 2020 5:48 pm

@dkodgis wrote:Family of four=6 months or so of just going downstairs and picking
Thank you! I will look into doing that in the future. I have a big freezer packed and two refrig freezers packed..I started the mid of January..because my husband and I started seeing reports come out of China right after new years....he had me watch preper videos..chicken I got at 1.50-1.80 a pound...you cant find that now..I called your chicken place to re stock a bit and they are 2.80 a pound right now..I might take a drive tom. I am good for a long time on everything else..did not buy enough yeast..that will be a lesson for the future...lol
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 2710
Reputation : 72
Join date : 2014-11-25
Age : 56
Location : Hazlet Township

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by weatherwatchermom on Tue May 05, 2020 5:53 pm

@dkodgis wrote:If the cow is 1200 lbs, figure 66% left after butchering or close to 800 lbs. about $3,000. A half cow is about 35lbs per cubic freezer foot. So 400 lbs=about 14 cubic ft of freezer space, chock full. Mist likely you need a few cubic feet more
thank you for the info..never thought to get meat this way...always used my butcher.. but I am prepped right now and I have a huge freezer...and two big frig's that have freezers...lol and a 2 cubic foot freezer on the boat..you should see what I get in that when we go on vacation..my husband and son laugh at what I pull out of that thing.. affraid Smile
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 2710
Reputation : 72
Join date : 2014-11-25
Age : 56
Location : Hazlet Township

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by Dunnzoo on Wed May 06, 2020 4:01 pm

Anyone want to visit with Joe Cioffi? My library is hosting an online meeting (with zoom I think) on May 12th at 7 pm. Here's the link if you want to join us!

http://engagedpatrons.org/EventsExtended.cfm?SiteID=5902&EventID=411880&PK=

_________________
Janet

Snowfall winter of 2019-2020      8.5"

Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Posts : 4195
Reputation : 60
Join date : 2013-01-11
Age : 58
Location : Westwood, NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by amugs on Wed May 06, 2020 4:28 pm

Murphy just extended the Quarrantine for another 30 days. The beaches are going to open with restrictions starting memorial day weekend.
Enough is enough with the lockdown for the ENTIRE state. Out of 21 counties there are 5 to 6 with elevated cases. Over 50% of the deaths are from sadly nursing home folks and over 65% ofvthe cases are there as well. 82% of the positive cases tested have mild symptoms and and 18% have moderate to severe symptoms.
Sorry but his 6 step process takes us to almost the 4th of July before we can reopen, this is longer than Italy, China and ANY other country. It birders on tyranny.
The people need to get back to work or they will start to go hungry, default on mirtgages and rents,, car loans etc. We have a 2% rate of infection of those tested ~2% not 8 or 14 but 2 and we are locking down 9 million people and of the ~2% a little over 1% are in nursing homes and type facilities. I am very sorry for these folks in nursing homes and such facilities but this is absurd at this point. /rant

_________________
Mugs 
AKA:King: Snow Weenie
Self Proclaimed
WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 10929
Reputation : 195
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 50
Location : Hillsdale,NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by Frank_Wx on Thu May 07, 2020 8:13 am

@amugs wrote:Murphy just extended the Quarrantine for another 30 days.  The beaches are going to open with restrictions starting memorial day weekend.
Enough is enough with the lockdown for the ENTIRE state. Out of 21 counties there are 5 to 6 with elevated cases. Over 50% of the deaths are from sadly nursing home folks and over 65% ofvthe cases are there as well. 82% of the positive cases tested have mild symptoms and and 18% have moderate to severe symptoms.
Sorry but his 6 step process takes us to almost the 4th of July before we can reopen, this is longer than Italy, China and ANY other country. It birders on tyranny.
The people need to get back to work or they will start to go hungry, default on mirtgages and rents,, car loans etc. We have a 2% rate of infection of those tested ~2% not 8 or 14 but 2 and we are locking down 9 million people and of the ~2% a little over 1% are in nursing homes and type facilities. I am very sorry for these folks in nursing homes and such facilities but this is absurd at this point.  /rant

Very very much agree.

No matter how I try to say this it will sound insensitive so I am just going to say it without trying to sound like a political hack (trust me, I'm not).

The country need to re-open. People will die. You cannot protect every precious life. However, keeping us closed will bring out the ugly in people. The desperateness. The anxiety. Financial and even health conditions deteriorating.

I mean, I've gained 8 pounds.

_________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Posts : 19004
Reputation : 294
Join date : 2013-01-05
Age : 28
Location : Morris Plain, NJ

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by docstox12 on Thu May 07, 2020 9:11 am

Agree with Mugs and Frank.

If this economy does not get up and running soon,we will go into a full scale depression with many more deaths as a result of suicide,drug overdoses, murder, and alcoholism.Keep the elderly isolated, wear masks and gloves, social distance and let the younger people get back to work.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6996
Reputation : 210
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 69
Location : Monroe NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by amugs on Thu May 07, 2020 10:38 am

Peeps - I do not mean at all to be as Frank said a political hack here - I don't like politics or politicians sorry if you are or have family members etc. for what they do. It should not be a lifetime job as our forefathers voted against - isn't this why we revolted against England??

Frank and Doc you hit the nail on the head - MORE WILL DIE FROM THE ABOVE STATED! We are seeing more domestic abuse - children and spousal, depression, people going hungry - the food shortages that are coming are no joke - one analyst from Business Insider said we can expect this for 1.5 years. I have researched this every day and talk to MANY who are in this field via social media - twitter, facebook, etc. The farmers in the Upper Midwest said we have no crops, the slaughterhouses have moved to robots instead of workers - sounds good right?? Technology will save us some think. Well that maybe good for one but the affect is hundreds lose their jobs - which is a DOMINO AFFECT!! We have culled (killed) 30 million!!! chickens since mid April and over 25% of the cattle and 30% of our hogs!!!!! But people will go hungry and DON'T YOU DARE BLAME THE FARMERS!!! Thy were instructed to reduce their heads if not they would be fined thousands per head over a arbitrary formula. The lock down - lack of demand was a major cause. The growing season is 20% less this year than last year at present rate meaning the farmers have lost about 40 days of growing foods so far in this country in a vast swath of the ag belt. That is if we dont have an early winter as we did this past year in late Sept and early October in these parts. Many farmers said that if it were to happen again about 25% of teh farms woudl have to close up - again great dust bowl part 2 affects due to the weather?

Here are statistics that are going to cause in my opinion MASSIVE affects on everything Frank and Doc talked about:

43% of rents have not been paid for April and May now, June is next an the number look to increase to 50-60% possibly as more folks have burdened through their savings etc.

34% of mortgages have not been paid in April and May now - ONE THIRD!!!! Once all of this lifts how will folks make money to pay their mortgages and rents if this is the pyshe of our country's people:

70% say they wont go to a movie theaters or shopping mall
60% said they would not go to a.....RESTAURANT, Nail Saloon or Barber Shop etc.
50% said they woudl not go entertainment events - sporting events

34 million unemployed - food lines stretch for miles, loss of crops and rationing of foods, protests, and the fat cats get fatter - Bezos, Gates, Soros, Buffet, Rockeffeler Foundation, Clinton Foundation, etc etc! hey each made over millions to 20 billion so far off this!!

We are basically in the early stages of the depression already folks if open your eyes 34 million unemployed and food rationing and food line stretch for miles - this is the early 1930's no??? Being told by teh FDIC not to pull your money out of teh banks to help float liquidity in our system. What is next is the millions of homeless when peeps get evicted because they have not paid their rents or mortgages in months..

DeBalsio (not a fan at all) said last night that Washington needs to help give billions in aid to bail out the city or ELSE essential services like teachers, Police and Firemen will be laid off - you will have anarchy in the cities if this were to occur.

You may not like this but Fauci and the CDC need to stop with their newest guidance to this tyrannic lock down and stages to reopen for hot spots, they are the force behind the data and protocol driving this and the AC and PM governors are buying it - for the love of God we lose 30-35K plus to vehicular accidents a year are we going to ban all cars or driving at night when 30% of all of these deaths occur between 11PM and 4 AM??

Here is the data from NJ
Infections rate - .003% ONE THIRD of 9 million people have this as testing positive sure the more testing the numbers will increase but that is irrelevant o teh number in this herd here.

Death rate - .006% of the states population - ONE SIXTH of the States population and over 50% are in nursing acre facilities. Sad absolutely and I lost my very dear friend last week in a home like this. They listed it as COVID - it was not - he had a severe stroke that prohibited his ability to swallow - then they said he contracted COVID and 2 days later he died. The numbers are skewed in my opinion as they do all the time so as to control the narrative and quell the public questions and outrage if "they" knew the truth.

It will take the people to speak up and say enough is enough and get us back to work - how about the hair salon owner in Texas who opened up shop - she did everything right except break a martial law - cleaned in between customers - kept them 6" apart - had to wear masks, only allowed 2 people waiting inside at a time - she got a 5K fine and jailed for 30 days - what is going on?? What is wrong with her measures - she did EXACTLY what is being done at supermarkets and others such places.

Okay have a good day and enjoy this beautiful weather.

_________________
Mugs 
AKA:King: Snow Weenie
Self Proclaimed
WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 10929
Reputation : 195
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 50
Location : Hillsdale,NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by phil155 on Thu May 07, 2020 11:39 am

I have to agree with the last few posts, We must reopen. We know what the vulnerable population is when it comes to this disease and we should protect that population but the rest of society can return to work, school, etc. The risk for people outside the vulnerable population is thankfully very low

phil155

Posts : 44
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2019-12-16

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by billg315 on Thu May 07, 2020 12:37 pm

Just reiterating what I said above about a week ago, but agree with all the above points. And Frank you don’t sound insensitive you sound realistic. People are going to continue getting sick from this (and dying from it) no matter when you re-open. The same way people die from flu, diseases, workplace accidents, crimes, car accidents on the way to school and work and vacation, etc. We can’t and don’t live in bubbles.
As Phil said we know who the vulnerable population here is (clearly) and should target efforts to protect them, but 99.9% of the population has nothing to fear from this even if they do catch it.
We can’t wait for a vaccine because it may never come, it may come if at all, a year from now, and it may not be very effective when it does come.
Remember when this started? They didn’t say the goal of closures was to save everyone’s life (if it was, we failed. 75,000 people died - almost all weeks AFTER we closed). They said it was to slow the spread/flatten the curve so hospitals weren’t overwhelmed all at once, risking us running out of beds, ventilators, personnel, etc., Well the spread peaked in NJ (and most places) April 14 and hospitalizations have been in decline for three weeks. Those concerns no longer exist. We have ventilators sitting in stockpiles unused and near empty hospitals in many parts of the country.
And as Frank said, if we reopen today, people will die. It is sadly inevitable. But if we reopen in July, August, September, people will still die. You are delaying not preventing. And in the end destroying other lives in the process. I do not minimize the suffering or loss of those affected, but I fear where this all ends for even more people if we don’t reopen soon.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 3045
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2015-01-24
Age : 46
Location : Somerville, NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by docstox12 on Thu May 07, 2020 1:48 pm

From what I read, this virus was already around in Wuhan in November and probably was here in December.Many people were infected with minor or no symptoms.By the time they started realizing in late January, it was already all over the place.When you factor in all the people that will test positive, the percentage of death will drop.

I have lived through two pandemics in my lifetime before this one.The first was the polio pandemic , from my birth in 1950 to the Salk vaccine in 1955.There were 250,000 cases in 1952.You died, would up in an iron lung or were crippled for life like FDR.The country did not shut down.I was particularly vulnerable as a young child.You kept kids out of playgrounds and swimming pools.The second was the Flu of 1957 which killed thousands.My Mom at age 36, was in bed for two weeks but she isolated in the house, her glasses and dishes were segregated.Again, the entire country did not shut down.

Luckily some outfits are still open,my water filter people were here today to clean and install new filters( the guy masked and gloved), my lawn sprinkler people were here Monday to turn the system on, and my lawn mower guy was just here today.If you stay 6 feet away, wear masks and gloves, wash your hands it's going to be ok.I have been taking Vitamin C, D3, Echinacea,a Shitake Mushroom complex and green tea to build my immune system as well.

The Federal Reserve has ramped up it's QE program to flood the system with liquidity and help people and small businesses out through this shutdown.I suspect more programs will be seen in weeks to come.Without that, a depression is gauranteed.

My wife and I are doing our part as a vulnerable age group by staying in only going out for food, bank and gasoline.We take a drive on Sunday (the old timers here will remember the "Sunday drives" the family would take back in the 50's) just to not go stir crazy,LOL.One good thing about this is if you and your wife survive this without killing each other, you know you have a good marriage,LOL.

Stay safe and healthy everybody!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6996
Reputation : 210
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 69
Location : Monroe NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by phil155 on Thu May 07, 2020 2:49 pm

As billg said about the reason for the shutdown, it was only to prevent the healthcare system from being overwhelmed and we did it, the healthcare system was stretched but it was not overwhelmed. The country must reopen or we will see true chaos and devastation which will be hell to recover from

phil155

Posts : 44
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2019-12-16

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by brownie on Thu May 07, 2020 2:51 pm

@amugs wrote:Nail Saloon
Now that sounds like a fun kind of place!  Laughing

Not to make light of your post, but that just tickled me, and after being trapped alone here for eight weeks now and growing more miserable by the day, I needed a good pick me up!

I agree that what they did to the salon owner in Texas was awful and not something I would ever expect to happen in the United States.

I’m not sure what the right answer is.  I guess I feel let people open their businesses if they want to and the public will either feel comfortable enough to patronize them or they won’t.  But yeah, I have to get out of here, I’m losing my mind.

brownie

Posts : 182
Reputation : 16
Join date : 2013-11-10
Location : Parsippany, NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by dkodgis on Thu May 07, 2020 3:10 pm

We talk about cabin fever, the economy, payments, etc. but haircuts are necessary too. I look like the Abominable Snow Man
dkodgis
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1285
Reputation : 97
Join date : 2013-12-29

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by docstox12 on Thu May 07, 2020 3:30 pm

@dkodgis wrote:We talk about cabin fever, the economy, payments, etc. but haircuts are necessary too. I look like the Abominable Snow Man

Hey Damian!

I ordered a hair clipper from E Bay and had my wife shave my head bald,LOL.I think she really enjoyed that! My Dad did that back for me in the 1950's at the beginning of summer vaca, God forbid he would pay the two bits to a barber,LOL.

I look like Kojak "who loves ya Baby",LOL. No barbers open and not ready to go to one for a long while.


Last edited by docstox12 on Thu May 07, 2020 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6996
Reputation : 210
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 69
Location : Monroe NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by docstox12 on Thu May 07, 2020 3:31 pm

@brownie wrote:
@amugs wrote:Nail Saloon
Now that sounds like a fun kind of place!  Laughing

Not to make light of your post, but that just tickled me, and after being trapped alone here for eight weeks now and growing more miserable by the day, I needed a good pick me up!

I agree that what they did to the salon owner in Texas was awful and not something I would ever expect to happen in the United States.

I’m not sure what the right answer is.  I guess I feel let people open their businesses if they want to and the public will either feel comfortable enough to patronize them or they won’t.  But yeah, I have to get out of here, I’m losing my mind.

Nail Saloon. Sounds like a Gin Mill for carpenters!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6996
Reputation : 210
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 69
Location : Monroe NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by dkodgis on Thu May 07, 2020 4:02 pm

At least we all have our humor
dkodgis
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1285
Reputation : 97
Join date : 2013-12-29

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by Grselig on Thu May 07, 2020 6:00 pm

@docstox12 wrote:
@dkodgis wrote:We talk about cabin fever, the economy, payments, etc. but haircuts are necessary too. I look like the Abominable Snow Man

Hey Damian!

I ordered a hair clipper from E Bay and had my wife shave my head bald,LOL.I think she really enjoyed that! My Dad did that back for me in the 1950's at the beginning of summer vaca, God forbid he would pay the two bits to a barber,LOL.

I look like Kojak "who loves ya Baby",LOL. No barbers open and not ready to go to one for a long while.

I had to do that years ago. Razor blade. Stone Cold Steve look. Saves $. Now I gotta clip the boys. Got a clipper years ago when I had a short crop. Snow ⛄
Grselig
Grselig
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1228
Reputation : 134
Join date : 2013-03-04
Age : 50
Location : Wayne NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by jmanley32 on Fri May 08, 2020 12:25 am

Sorry but it appears many of you won't like this but please understand I like nothing above. So be respectful to my opinion. I just grazed these last posts and am dumfounded by my fellow NJ weather forums thoughts on this. If we reopen to soon we risk going back to where we started. Plus this could come back worse in the winter. Frank mugs? Has anyone died in your family that you haven't been able to say goodbye to or go to their funeral? If you have i am very sorry and the same to everyone. My best friends grandma just died of COVID and she was creamated against her wishes and NOT buried where she was plotted for $30,000!!! I get it we want to reopen but no one has been as good or as smart as Cuomo, not getting into politics but the whole dang country loves the guy or most, i mean there's even the term "cuomosexual" now, who ever thought. And I never thought I would see the day so many people willing to call it the Mario Cuomo bridge and not the tappen zee. You all do what you want but when all is said and done playing it safe is the best bet. We will always figure out the economy (yes its bad) but we won't always be able to save lives from this if we start reopening and to fully reopen with no restrictions is assinine. Not to mention the new offfspiriung of COVID now this disease affecting children up to 65 cases now! Lets see how people feel if 10's of thousands of kids start passing away. And trust me I'm going nuts too, Frank I have no clue how much I weigh but its "fat" lol. I am very unhappy about sitting here working from home having not much else to do, stressed out relatiuonship falling apart a child who is running rampant and having a hard time with this. Just had celebrate her birthday virtually and a police drive by party. Just my thoughts. No one is going to agree on this completely and thats the problem mainly.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 16808
Reputation : 100
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 39
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by jmanley32 on Fri May 08, 2020 12:38 am

Okay I just read over everything...we all need a zoom therapy sesssion. I will put my therapy mode on and provide ffree for the next 600 weeks. Potentially the length of this lockdown (totally kidding, i hope....) Can we talk about the weather? Is there anything good coming up something to track to take our minds off this? When all is said and done not one of us on here can do a damn thing about how this reopoen will or won't happen. So why bitch about it? Yes I did my bitching but I am major bipolar mode lol (maniacally). Just saying maybe we should talk more positive stuff.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 16808
Reputation : 100
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 39
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by docstox12 on Fri May 08, 2020 6:17 am

Jman, NWS has me for 1/2 inch of snow tonight.If that happens and I see that, it will be a boost and a laugh that it happened in May!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 6996
Reputation : 210
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 69
Location : Monroe NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by billg315 on Fri May 08, 2020 7:45 am

JMan you are certainly entitled to your opinion and nobody should attack or get mad at anyone for their opinion on here. I respect your point of view, even if I don’t entirely agree with it.

The only thing I did want to (respectfully) respond to because I think it is the type of misinformation driving this panic (and I’m not blaming you - I’m sure you’re basing it off what you heard in the media): The idea that “tens of thousands of kids” either have or will start dying from this is 100% false. It is scientifically demonstrated at this point that there is virtually no mortality risk for children under 18 from this (any moreso than the same complications they could get from contracting any other illness with underlying conditions). As of last weekend not a single child under 18 in NJ had died from this. Not one. And that is in the second worst hit state in the nation. As of mid-April the CDC was reporting only 3 children had died of covid in the nation and even in those cases the CDC reports “but the contribution of SARS-CoV-2 infection to the cause of death in these cases is unclear.” In other words, in the only three cases of pediatric death from covid - it’s not even clear covid was the cause of death, just that they were positive for it when they died. Other countries have also experienced virtually no pediatric deaths from covid (zero in Italy at least through mid-March when that country was hardest hit).
The story the other day pushed by CBS about an offshoot “possibly” related to covid, was about Kawasaki disease (or a very similar inflammatory reaction) which is rare but typically affects children after they catch any virus - not just covid. Of 15 kids showing the symptoms in one location not all even had covid. Of the 85 such cases nationwide: ZERO had died (source NBC news).
So while there may be legitimate arguments for NOT reopening yet (which I disagree with), the possibility of tens of thousands of children dying is not one of them.
I hope this didn’t come off as too belligerent it wasn’t intended that way. I’m just very passionate about the need not to spread hysteria about this - it is serious enough without that. Or as Bill Maher said, no need to put hot sauce on a jalapeño.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 3045
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2015-01-24
Age : 46
Location : Somerville, NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by billg315 on Fri May 08, 2020 8:20 am

And not everyone loves Cuomo. Sorry, thought I was done but just had to say it. He and other governors will have to answer at some point how they dropped the ball on nursing homes where about a third of deaths occurred while focused on shutting down restaurants and department stores.
billg315
billg315
Advanced Forecaster - Mod
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Posts : 3045
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2015-01-24
Age : 46
Location : Somerville, NJ

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by dkodgis on Fri May 08, 2020 8:38 am

Here is hoping the economy gets back in gear and things open. For the near future, I cannot see realistically how schools or camps can reopen until ... whenever but not this summer and at least a delay in the fall or maybe into Jan. I always held the position that Jan/Feb/March 2021 schools up here will reopen. I hope I am wrong. My kids are going batty, and they miss school and sports.

There are an awful lot of 900 lb gorillas sitting in the room:  funding cuts, new and maybe de facto online classes, eventual contractual issues with delivery mode,   and so on.  Gaping holes in sales tax collection, and in other revenue streams = chaos. Cuts will occur and they will not be pretty.  Consensus? Not there.  Skilled leadership? We'll see. Pain? Most certainly. Contingencies? Probably none. There have been 9,328 cases in Orange county (where I live), and 1,039 in the next county (Sullivan), and 12, 280 cases in Rockland county below me. In NJ as in Bergen, Huddon, Passaic, Union, etc. anywhere from 14,000-16,000 cases. Curves are being flattened, the healthcare system was stretched and not broken, and does anyone know if lifting the stay at home orders will cause cases to go up or not? As states go vs. regions, I can't see an action or date where one action or one date fits all. It is just going to be a real mess. Meanwhile I feel so bad for families who don't have money in and can't eat. I pray this all gets going in the right direction. I for one don't have a clue how and when and in what direction. Unsettling. I think this is what works on my family: uncertainty and worry for loved ones and the future.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 1285
Reputation : 97
Join date : 2013-12-29

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by jmanley32 on Fri May 08, 2020 9:46 am

@billg315 wrote:JMan you are certainly entitled to your opinion and nobody should attack or get mad at anyone for their opinion on here. I respect your point of view, even if I don’t entirely agree with it.

The only thing I did want to (respectfully) respond to because I think it is the type of misinformation driving this panic (and I’m not blaming you - I’m sure you’re basing it off what you heard in the media): The idea that “tens of thousands of kids” either have or will start dying from this is 100% false. It is scientifically demonstrated at this point that there is virtually no mortality risk for children under 18 from this (any moreso than the same complications they could get from contracting any other illness with underlying conditions). As of last weekend not a single child under 18 in NJ had died from this. Not one. And that is in the second worst hit state in the nation. As of mid-April the CDC was reporting only 3 children had died of covid in the nation and even in those cases the CDC reports “but the contribution of SARS-CoV-2 infection to the cause of death in these cases is unclear.” In other words, in the only three cases of pediatric death from covid - it’s not even clear covid was the cause of death, just that they were positive for it when they died. Other countries have also experienced virtually no pediatric deaths from covid (zero in Italy at least through mid-March when that country was hardest hit).
The story the other day pushed by CBS about an offshoot “possibly” related to covid, was about Kawasaki disease (or a very similar inflammatory reaction) which is rare but typically affects children after they catch any virus - not just covid. Of 15 kids showing the symptoms in one location not all even had covid. Of the 85 such cases nationwide: ZERO had died (source NBC news).
So while there may be legitimate arguments for NOT reopening yet (which I disagree with), the possibility of tens of thousands of children dying is not one of them.
I hope this didn’t come off as too belligerent it wasn’t intended that way. I’m just very passionate about the need not to spread hysteria about this - it is serious enough without that. Or as Bill Maher said, no need to put hot sauce on a jalapeño.
No thats fine, you were informative and not bashing me. I was speaking of the kawasaki type disease, and I did not think kids would start dying I was just saying what if, and that would be devasatating. Theres something about kids that just hits me harder than adults. Not that losing someone like my parents wouldn't kill my hear the same but kids, they didn't even get a chance. Glad to know they have all recovered I missed that part on news (which I hate to watch because yes it is a lot of misinformation or mistaken information). For a example years ago I was a witness to a police car making a u-turn in the middle of a busy street after some kind of big bust and speeding off without his lights, throuhg a red light and he got plowed into by a car. The officer was injured (not good for the guy driving, he is screwed) however the officer was at fault not using lights or siren. When I was interviewed by Verizon Fios I later saw the story and they completely screwed up what I told them happened even after they played the clip of me. I was so angry. Another time News 12 reported that shots were fired at a carnival when in fact it was 3 girls that got hit by a car a woman who had a diabetic shock and floored the gas killing a 13 year old and putting her sister into temporary coma. Can you imagine waking up to be told your sister is gone. So sad. She now has a memorial at the park the accident happened in. But the point is the news isn't fake but it can be greatly flawed.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 16808
Reputation : 100
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 39
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

Banter Thread 5.0 - Page 39 Empty Re: Banter Thread 5.0

Post by jmanley32 on Fri May 08, 2020 9:48 am

@dkodgis wrote:Here is hoping the economy gets back in gear and things open. For the near future, I cannot see realistically how schools or camps can reopen until ... whenever but not this summer and at least a delay in the fall or maybe into Jan. I always held the position that Jan/Feb/March 2021 schools up here will reopen. I hope I am wrong. My kids are going batty, and they miss school and sports.

There are an awful lot of 900 lb gorillas sitting in the room:  funding cuts, new and maybe de facto online classes, eventual contractual issues with delivery mode,   and so on.  Gaping holes in sales tax collection, and in other revenue streams = chaos. Cuts will occur and they will not be pretty.  Consensus? Not there.  Skilled leadership? We'll see. Pain? Most certainly. Contingencies? Probably none. There have been 9,328 cases in Orange county (where I live), and 1,039 in the next county (Sullivan), and 12, 280 cases in Rockland county below me.   In NJ as in Bergen, Huddon, Passaic, Union, etc. anywhere from 14,000-16,000 cases. Curves are being flattened, the healthcare system was stretched and not broken, and does anyone know if lifting the stay at home orders will cause cases to go up or not? As states go vs. regions, I can't see an action or date where one action or one date fits all.  It is just going to be a real mess. Meanwhile I feel so bad for families who don't have money in and can't eat. I pray this all gets going in the right direction. I for one don't have a clue how and when and in what direction.  Unsettling. I think this is what works on my family:  uncertainty and worry for loved ones and the future.
This is all true too as far as I know, I cannot deny either point to reopen or to stay home, I honestly do not know, I do not think anyone fully knows. And excuse me I have only gained 5 lbs, ha frank beat you, though you have about 100 below me anyways to start. No 900 lbs here though ( I know it wasn't serious im jk too).
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 16808
Reputation : 100
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 39
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum