NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banter Thread 7.0

+33
brownie
mmanisca
Grselig
GreyBeard
Dunnzoo
Taffy
Quietace
HectorO
Frank_Wx
billg315
dolphins222
sroc4
essexcountypete
docstox12
Ronfdny
TheAresian
phil155
Scullybutcher
Math23x7
lglickman1
dkodgis
weatherwatchermom
jmanley32
SENJsnowman
CPcantmeasuresnow
rb924119
nutleyblizzard
crippo84
RJB8525
frank 638
mikeypizano
heehaw453
amugs
37 posters

Page 5 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 23  Next

Go down

Banter Thread 7.0 - Page 5 Empty Re: Banter Thread 7.0

Post by Taffy Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:09 pm

Doc, we do have the North End and East Boston has some of the best pies around but I live in Hopkinton which is a sleepy little village until the day of the Boston Marathon. Then, the next day we roll up the sidewalks again!  OTI was a hoot and I'm just glad we were tolerated! I get down to Jersey every other month to see my daughters and that's when I mangia good pies. When Anthony passed away several years ago, Boston had a special memorial and tribute for him.

Taffy
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Frank_Wx likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:46 pm

HectorO wrote:Good morning everyone! Thank you Frank for sending an email to check up on me. I really appreciate it. I will speak on here, so I don't have to type the same thing twice lol. The past two years have been pretty tough. Back in 2020, due to covid, a business that I worked really hard on had come to a halt. It was very depressing and tough to have to navigate in this new world. Prior to that, in December of 2019, my wife and I separated. So here I was dealing with a business falling and a separation. In May of 2020, my wife and I got back together. Everything seemed fine. But in 2021 we would separate again. This was crushing, as this time it would lead to divorce papers being signed.

At the end of 2021 I reached to an old friend, who like myself is an entrepreneur. He gave me the pep talk I needed. 1 year later from the second separation, my business is building back up, I've landed a good job while it builds up, and I have investors in my business to re-open completely by 2023. It's been a wild rollercoaster ride, but having GRIT has helped me get back on my feet. Sorry for the long rant btw. I just wanted to catch everyone up. And I'll be back on here!

With that said: I need to change my photo LOL

Wow, Hector. I’m sorry for the difficult and trying times you’ve had to endure the last couple of years. In a way your story is inspiring and defines perseverance. Very happy to hear things are turning around. God bless and keep pushing!! 

Also, you provide a lot of balance for us on here haha

Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

HectorO and Taffy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Scullybutcher Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:50 pm

My 5 year old son has declared 16” snowfall, I assume he’s talking about imby
Scullybutcher
Scullybutcher
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Location : North Smithtown, western Suffolk county, long island

sroc4, amugs, kalleg, Taffy and SENJsnowman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunnzoo Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:10 pm

HectorO wrote:Good morning everyone! Thank you Frank for sending an email to check up on me. I really appreciate it. I will speak on here, so I don't have to type the same thing twice lol. The past two years have been pretty tough. Back in 2020, due to covid, a business that I worked really hard on had come to a halt. It was very depressing and tough to have to navigate in this new world. Prior to that, in December of 2019, my wife and I separated. So here I was dealing with a business falling and a separation. In May of 2020, my wife and I got back together. Everything seemed fine. But in 2021 we would separate again. This was crushing, as this time it would lead to divorce papers being signed.

At the end of 2021 I reached to an old friend, who like myself is an entrepreneur. He gave me the pep talk I needed. 1 year later from the second separation, my business is building back up, I've landed a good job while it builds up, and I have investors in my business to re-open completely by 2023. It's been a wild rollercoaster ride, but having GRIT has helped me get back on my feet. Sorry for the long rant btw. I just wanted to catch everyone up. And I'll be back on here!

Welcome back Hector! Sorry about your troubles the past few years, but glad things are turning around for you. Best of luck with the business!

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:22 pm

Nice to have HectorO back on here.

There are some users who I do miss from the old 7-online chat board and/or this forum's early days. One of them is Tom (NjWeatherguy). He hasn't been on since March 2018. I wonder what happened to him.

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

HectorO likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HectorO Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:21 pm

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the encouragement and kind words! I'm glad to be back. Looks like I'm back just in time for an event!
HectorO
HectorO
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

sroc4, RJB8525 and Taffy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffy Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:02 am

It's good to see you back, Hector. Don't change your profile pic...you're lookin good!
Taffy
Taffy
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:15 am

HectorO wrote:Thanks everyone! I appreciate the encouragement and kind words! I'm glad to be back. Looks like I'm back just in time for an event!

Welcome Back!! Have faith in God my man. He will always be by your side and lead you through the worst and best of times. I am glad to hear your doing better and best of luck.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

HectorO likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:22 am

And how warm was the warmest Dec on Record??? LOL! Absolutely Negligible!!
Banter Thread 7.0 - Page 5 FKMPRw4XsAMjiyO?format=jpg&name=900x900

And Records are being smashed all over this beautiful God given planet for cold n snow adn it will continue for decades to come. Tonga Volcanoes was truly immense adn WILL cool our planet - it remains to be see by how much.
.3C low end estimates 1C upper end to 1.3 C most extreme.
They, scientist totally missed and underestimated but have since dropped this whole story but a few scientists I follow have not and are exposing the truth to this. Buckle up folks we haven't seen anything yet in more ways than one!!
VEI 5 eruption that went 180K feet (24 miles) and teh massive 13 kilometer debris field in 10 seconds traveled 35kilometers = 21 miles 144,500 feet. We seriously cannot wrap our heads around this.
Check this out for yuor pleasure while you watch a blizzard unfold in yuor area that will experience it:

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAresian Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:46 pm

Just checked the GFS temps for my area for the long range. I know cold is necessary for snow and all, but this sub zero crap is overkill.

TheAresian
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:00 pm

This is so anxiety inducing but fun lol, I know that some are go get let down, and i am preparing myself mentally now so as to not be a neg nancy on the forum. If I get too aggrevated I am going to step away. With that said i am going to try to keep a level head and take CP advice.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

CPcantmeasuresnow likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietace Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:15 pm

jmanley32 wrote:This is so anxiety inducing but fun lol, I know that some are go get let down, and i am preparing myself mentally now so as to not be a neg nancy on the forum. If I get too aggrevated I am going to step away.  With that said i am going to try to keep a level head and take CP advice.
Hey, throw on some Pixies albums, relax, and look out the window. While I am not waiting for snow like everyone else is, I still am watching (and listening to the Pixies as I always do when I decompress). For most this is all part of the fun Very Happy But you know that after all these years.
Quietace
Quietace
Meteorologist - Mod
Meteorologist - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by rb924119 Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:41 pm

Welcome back, Hector!! Much like everybody else, I’m so sorry to hear of your struggles, but something I heard several years ago has resonated with me ever since, and I’m not an overly religious person:

“God never gives you more than you can handle.”

I can’t say that I understand what you went through, because I haven’t gone through it. But that thought has completely changed my outlook on life, and I hope it will for you too Smile it’s great to have you back now, though, and it’s only onwards and upwards from here! To uniformity, and beyond!!

rb924119
Meteorologist
Meteorologist

Frank_Wx and bloc1357 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:57 pm

I'm older but no wiser and am looking for advice. I was never a big fan of salting walkways because it always got tracked into the house and made a mess.
Now that I am older and not as sure footed, is it better to put down ice melt before the storm begins or after the shoveling is done? There is a thin glaze of ice now from persistent light snow this afternoon, so if i treat that now will it turn into a layer of ice on the bottom once the snow starts, or will it keep it from freezing? Help a brother out please Question

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Scullybutcher Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:00 pm

I think I would leave it alone until tomorrow
Scullybutcher
Scullybutcher
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Location : North Smithtown, western Suffolk county, long island

GreyBeard likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:49 pm

GreyBeard wrote:I'm older but no wiser and am looking for advice. I was never a big fan of salting walkways because it always got tracked into the house and made a mess.
Now that I am older and not as sure footed, is it better to put down ice melt before the storm begins or after the shoveling is done? There is a thin glaze of ice now from persistent light snow this afternoon, so if i treat that now will it turn into a layer of ice on the bottom once the snow starts, or will it keep it from freezing? Help a brother out please Question

Move to Florida,LOL.

I agree to leave it alone until tomorrow.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Scullybutcher, RJB8525 and GreyBeard like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:40 pm

You know doc, that move to Florida has crossed my mind. Have family down there, son, 2 sisters. Was just talking to my sister the other day and she was telling me there are so many snowbirds down there now, what used to be a 5 minute drive to the grocery store now takes half an hour. I just can't commit to making the move just yet.

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:51 pm

GreyBeard wrote:You know doc, that move to Florida has crossed my mind. Have family down there, son, 2 sisters. Was just talking to my sister the other day and she was telling me there are so many snowbirds down there now, what used to be a 5 minute drive to the grocery store now takes half an hour. I just can't commit to making the move just yet.

Greybeard, we are not getting any younger. Why not try it out first, rent a place for a month or two and keep the house up here.See how you like it.Next winter after I settle my Mom's estate (she passed at age 100 last August) and work out our treatment schedules (wife and I both in remission for cancer, hers is bladder, mine multiple myeloma, and this damn virus disappears, we would like to go for a month or two.When my Dad was alive, my parents had a small ranch in Boynton Beach in the Leisureville ( I called it seizureville) development.It was great in March, not hot yet, perfect temps in the 70's.My old arthritic bones can't take the cold and slipping on snow or ice could leave me up the creek without a paddle.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:21 pm

GreyBeard wrote:You know doc, that move to Florida has crossed my mind. Have family down there, son, 2 sisters. Was just talking to my sister the other day and she was telling me there are so many snowbirds down there now, what used to be a 5 minute drive to the grocery store now takes half an hour. I just can't commit to making the move just yet.

You’re not allowed to leave us. Sorry.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Math23x7 Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:05 am

I arrived at the hotel earlier tonight and brought all the stuff into the hotel room, only to find out that the wi-fi in that room doesn't work really well. The guy at the front desk even admitted that. After discussing with him, he did allow me to go to a different room, where I tested the wifi beforehand and luckily it worked. But that involved getting all of my stuff from the room I was at beforehand to the room I switched to. So yea It's been hectic on check-in night. You would think in 2022 that this wouldn't be an issue, but alas, it is.

Anyway, I am currently in Milford, Massachusetts, about 40 southwest of Beantown. There is now accumulation on the pavement and it's picking up in intensity. I'm curious as to what it's like at daybreak!

Math23x7
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

brownie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:18 am

Math23x7 wrote:I arrived at the hotel earlier tonight and brought all the stuff into the hotel room, only to find out that the wi-fi in that room doesn't work really well.  The guy at the front desk even admitted that.  After discussing with him, he did allow me to go to a different room, where I tested the wifi beforehand and luckily it worked.  But that involved getting all of my stuff from the room I was at beforehand to the room I switched to.  So yea It's been hectic on check-in night.  You would think in 2022 that this wouldn't be an issue, but alas, it is.

Anyway, I am currently in Milford, Massachusetts, about 40 southwest of Beantown.  There is now accumulation on the pavement and it's picking up in intensity.  I'm curious as to what it's like at daybreak!

hope we get to see some good reports from Milford MA...and ps..Milford Ct..must be something with the name..great marina no wifi. in all of our travels on the boat Ct has the worst wifi connections..(not good with a teen on board...lol) Have fun be safe!!
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:21 am

I agree with Doc..rent for a bit..my neighbor before her husband died went down every winter..could not commit to year round...
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by weatherwatchermom Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:24 am

docstox12 wrote:

Greybeard, we are not getting any younger. Why not try it out first, rent a place for a month or two and keep the house up here.See how you like it.Next winter after I settle my Mom's estate (she passed at age 100 last August) and work out our treatment schedules (wife and I both in remission for cancer, hers is bladder, mine multiple myeloma, and this damn virus disappears, we would like to go for a month or two.When my Dad was alive, my parents had a small ranch in Boynton Beach in the Leisureville ( I called it seizureville) development.It was great in March, not hot yet, perfect temps in the 70's.My old arthritic bones can't take the cold and slipping on snow or ice could leave me up the creek without a paddle.
Doc so sorry for your loss and glad you and your wife are doing well! and yes..we also talk about moving out of NJ when our son is done with school...I hate the heat..could handle the deep south..husband reminds me of when I was blinded by new love that I promised to go anywhere he wanted to go...lol..I don't rember that...lol
weatherwatchermom
weatherwatchermom
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:31 pm

Well here is Florida weather yikes.
Falling Iguana alert!!

Banter Thread 7.0 - Page 5 Fkresi10

amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:37 pm

Doc, so sorry about your Mom's passing. God blessed her allowing her such a long life. My parents, God rest their souls, spent their last years in Florida. Dad loved it, Mom hated it. They passed 13 days apart. It was the last time I was in Florida. Almost 3 years ago now.

Like you, the cold for me is harder to take as I get older. I used to have a small summer cabin up on Candlewood Lake in Ct. Had it for 20 yrs. Just sold it 3 yrs. ago because the kids grew up and it was more work than pleasure as I did all the maintenance myself. Would have been smart to keep that place for summer use and spend winters in Florida. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. Maybe someday we can meet up and have a pina colada down there one day.

So happy for you and the wife both being in remission for cancer. You take that long overdue trip to Florida. Got a kick out of the seizureville reference lol. I'm sure you've heard Florida also being referred to as Gods waiting room, I get a laugh when I think about that one.

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:00 pm

weatherwatchermom wrote:

I agree with Doc..rent for a bit..my neighbor before her husband died went down every winter..could not commit to year round...

That would be the wise thing to do weatherwatchermom. My sister has even offered to put me up for an extended stay. I really should take her up on it. One thing that keeps me from doing so is my 8 yr. old labrador retriever, wouldn't want to board him for anything more than a week. I know you are a dog person too, so I'm sure you understand.

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyBeard Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:52 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:

You’re not allowed to leave us. Sorry.

Like the Eagles song Hotel California I could check out any time but I could never leave Very Happy

GreyBeard
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum