NJ Strong Weather Forum


Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

July 2023 Observations and Discussion

+12
Zhukov1945
jmanley32
Dunnzoo
weatherwatchermom
frank 638
rb924119
dkodgis
geigere1
docstox12
kalleg
sroc4
billg315
16 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:30 am

Zhukov1945 wrote:Juicy!July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Screen10
not much east of hudson, thats a quick dieout.

jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 20519
Join date : 2013-12-12

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by dkodgis Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:14 pm

83 at 1 pm with 76% humidity. It is as dark out as you could want it to be. Opaque. It sure looks like hellzapoppin. Soon too.

As Janet says this is going to be a gullywasher. I have to think we will lose power on this one. Thunder and lightning is in the distance.

CPcantmeasurewater should be posting about this.

dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 2519
Join date : 2013-12-29

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by dkodgis Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:15 pm

It looks like nightfall. Seriously. That is how dark it is.
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 2519
Reputation : 98
Join date : 2013-12-29

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:55 pm

dkodgis wrote:83 at 1 pm with 76% humidity.  It is as dark out as you could want it to be. Opaque.  It sure looks like hellzapoppin.  Soon too.

As Janet says this is going to be a gullywasher.  I have to think we will lose power on this one. Thunder and lightning is in the distance.

CPcantmeasurewater should be posting about this.
Seems like its all going to stay in eastern PA to NW NJ to _87 and north in NY, its moving S to N which is uncommon for a front. A huge amount of flash flood warnings all over if you are in that rain some places reporting 6 inches with no let up in sight! I literally have the breeze and dark clouds off looking towards NJ but it is staying put over there for now looks like, not that I care for copious amounts of rain, Yonkers floods terribly.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 20519
Reputation : 108
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 42
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:57 pm

dkodgis wrote:It looks like nightfall. Seriously. That is how dark it is.
Well I have no idea where you are, have never been able to pinpoint your coordinates by ur signature lol.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 20519
Reputation : 108
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 42
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by kalleg Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:01 pm

Half an hour of thunder and minor winds in New Hope, an inch of rain so far this afternoon.

All quiet at this point, waiting for the next clouds to come our way.

kalleg

Posts : 143
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2013-01-15
Location : New Hope, PA

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:26 pm

Amazing the razor sharp cut off of the rain (looks like NE NJ on east is going to stay dry though looks very ominous outside). The rain orients from SW to NE and not moving at all, you could be on other side street and it won't be raining in some places.

Some of these flash flood warnings are showing rainfall already 2-3 inches with rates of 1-2 inches per hour in the areas with no movement in the rain, those areas are going to be devastated, I mean lets say it rains for abouter 4-5 hrs thats 10-15+ inches rain!! Far worse than Ida in 2021.

https://sirocco.accuweather.com/nxssa_r1_h_500x620d/r1h/inxr1Kphla_h.gif
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 20519
Reputation : 108
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 42
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by frank 638 Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:50 pm

jmanley32 wrote:Amazing the razor sharp cut off of the rain (looks like NE NJ on east is going to stay dry though looks very ominous outside). The rain orients from SW to NE and not moving at all, you could be on other side street and it won't be raining in some places.

Some of these flash flood warnings are showing rainfall already 2-3 inches with rates of 1-2 inches per hour in the areas with no movement in the rain, those areas are going to be devastated, I mean lets say it rains for abouter 4-5 hrs thats 10-15+ inches rain!! Far worse than Ida in 2021.

https://sirocco.accuweather.com/nxssa_r1_h_500x620d/r1h/inxr1Kphla_h.gif
Do you ever notice every time we get a thunderstorm this year? It’s always north and west of us. We always get either the moderate or light shower and that’s it.

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 2831
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2016-01-01
Age : 40
Location : bronx ny

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by lglickman1 Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:12 pm

Will any of the rain move east over the next few hours?

lglickman1
Pro Enthusiast
Pro Enthusiast

Posts : 319
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-02-05
Location : New Rochelle, NY

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:56 pm

frank 638 wrote:
jmanley32 wrote:Amazing the razor sharp cut off of the rain (looks like NE NJ on east is going to stay dry though looks very ominous outside). The rain orients from SW to NE and not moving at all, you could be on other side street and it won't be raining in some places.

Some of these flash flood warnings are showing rainfall already 2-3 inches with rates of 1-2 inches per hour in the areas with no movement in the rain, those areas are going to be devastated, I mean lets say it rains for abouter 4-5 hrs thats 10-15+ inches rain!! Far worse than Ida in 2021.

https://sirocco.accuweather.com/nxssa_r1_h_500x620d/r1h/inxr1Kphla_h.gif
Do you ever notice every time we get a thunderstorm this year? It’s always north and west of us. We always get either the moderate or light shower and that’s it.
grr yup, ive commented for many years, storms die over our area splitting to the south and north, we are in some kind of micro climate is my guess.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 20519
Reputation : 108
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 42
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:05 pm

lglickman1 wrote:Will any of the rain move east over the next few hours?
SR models have a short wave developing eventually off NJ coast and bringing flooding rains to NYC area and all of CT, yet to see that happen but it also does not have it happening till late tonight into tomorrow.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 20519
Reputation : 108
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 42
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:08 pm

3km NAM has the heaviest rain for NYC and on east from 7am tomorrow through rush hour, totals in the 2-4 inch, if true will be fun commute.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 20519
Reputation : 108
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 42
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by dkodgis Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:32 pm

In Orange county, south, in Highland Falls...looks like some serious doo-doo going on there. Some very serious flooding on the roads. I saw pictures on a FaceBook page. I hope everyone is well and not seeing flooding but if it keeps up, wow. I already have four inches. The rain started about 12:30 off and on before someone threw a switch and the heavens opened. Doc, are you holding on down county?
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 2519
Reputation : 98
Join date : 2013-12-29

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:54 pm

dkodgis wrote:In Orange county, south, in Highland Falls...looks like some serious doo-doo going on there. Some very serious flooding on the roads. I saw pictures on a FaceBook page. I hope everyone is well and not seeing flooding but if it keeps up, wow. I already have four inches. The rain started about 12:30 off and on before someone threw a switch and the heavens opened. Doc, are you holding on down county?
Holy crap they have a PDS, a flash flood emergency has seen 5-8 inches with 1-3+ more to come!! Yikes, weather statement says expected damage is catastrophic.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 20519
Reputation : 108
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 42
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:55 pm

I think we all get slammed by this line tonight into tomorrow, barely moving so whoever gets under this is go prolly see 2-4+. Also some small but intense cells are forming south of NYC and heading north.

https://sirocco.accuweather.com/nxssa_r1_h_500x620d/r1h/inxr1Kphla_h.gif
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 20519
Reputation : 108
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 42
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:57 pm

Flash Flood Warning
NYC071-079-087-119-100000-
/O.NEW.KOKX.FF.W.0015.230709T2101Z-230710T0000Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Flash Flood Warning
National Weather Service New York NY
501 PM EDT Sun Jul 9 2023

...FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR PORTIONS OF THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY...

The National Weather Service in Upton has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
Southeastern Orange County in southeastern New York...
Western Putnam County in southeastern New York...
Rockland County in southeastern New York...
Northern Westchester County in southeastern New York...

* Until 800 PM EDT.

* At 501 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated thunderstorms producing
heavy rain across the warned area. Between 5 and 8 inches of rain
have fallen. The expected rainfall rate is 1 to 2 inches in 1
hour. Flash flooding is already occurring.

This is a FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY for Portions of the Lower Hudson
Valley. This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. SEEK HIGHER
GROUND NOW!

HAZARD...Life threatening flash flooding. Thunderstorms
producing flash flooding.

SOURCE...Radar.

IMPACT...This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. SEEK
HIGHER GROUND NOW! Life threatening flash flooding of
low water crossings, small creeks and streams, urban
areas, highways, streets and underpasses.

* Some locations that will experience flash flooding include...
New City, Peekskill, Monsey, Nanuet, Haverstraw, Suffern, Monroe,
West Point, Sloatsburg, Cold Spring, Pomona, Harriman, Spring
Valley, Stony Point, Putnam Valley, Woodbury, West Haverstraw,
Airmont, Congers and Chestnut Ridge.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Move to higher ground now! This is an extremely dangerous and
life-threatening situation. Do not attempt to travel unless you are
fleeing an area subject to flooding or under an evacuation order.

Be aware of your surroundings and do not drive on flooded roads.

Stay away or be swept away. River banks and culverts can become
unstable and unsafe.

&&

LAT...LON 4115 7425 4128 7424 4129 7423 4145 7402
4145 7400 4144 7398 4147 7395 4147 7394
4147 7387 4146 7384 4142 7382 4137 7382
4130 7384 4119 7391 4110 7399 4108 7403
4107 7406

FLASH FLOOD...RADAR INDICATED
FLASH FLOOD DAMAGE THREAT...CATASTROPHIC
EXPECTED RAINFALL RATE...1-2 INCHES IN 1 HOUR

$$

JMC
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 20519
Reputation : 108
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 42
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:22 pm

Just started pouring, has a few times today but only for a few min, that line moving through NJ looks like it means business though, anyone in the thick of that? Training cells over bronx and southern westchester now, rivers coming down sides of street, whats coming in from west is whats go be real bad as it is supposed to kind of stall and rotate out to N.


Last edited by jmanley32 on Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 20519
Reputation : 108
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 42
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by docstox12 Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:32 pm

Have had at least ten warning on my phone up to now.Holding steady here, no damages around the house or on the street.Have no idea how much has fallen or where the flooding is.Looks like more to come on the radar.Torrential rain for over two hours straight before.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 8514
Reputation : 222
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 73
Location : Monroe NY

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:33 pm

docstox12 wrote:Have had at least  ten warning on my phone up to now.Holding steady here, no damages around the house or on the street.Have no idea how much has fallen or where the flooding is.Looks like more to come on the radar.Torrential rain for over two hours straight before.
Ya its bad your in orange county right? Theres a PDS there and highland falls area has seen 5-8 with 1-3 more expected at least.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 20519
Reputation : 108
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 42
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by docstox12 Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:58 pm

jmanley32 wrote:
docstox12 wrote:Have had at least  ten warning on my phone up to now.Holding steady here, no damages around the house or on the street.Have no idea how much has fallen or where the flooding is.Looks like more to come on the radar.Torrential rain for over two hours straight before.
Ya its bad your in orange county right? Theres a PDS there and highland falls area has seen 5-8 with 1-3 more expected at least.

Lower Orange County.Looks like it opens up again shortly.Battening down the hatches.
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Posts : 8514
Reputation : 222
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 73
Location : Monroe NY

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by dkodgis Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:19 pm

I am seeing reports of four more inches of rain for eastern Orange, most of it arriving in heavy bands before midnight. After midnight, things may calm down a bit.

Three to eight inches already + a potential of one to four inches. It could be that some folks will have gotten 12 inches in 12 hours. Long Mountain Road is closed due to slides. From exit 14 Palisades to Woodbury-closed
dkodgis
dkodgis
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 2519
Reputation : 98
Join date : 2013-12-29

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:20 pm

nNot to oconcerned for NYC area, rain area is weakening and shrinking I don't expect more than a light rain maybe moderate pockets and should be over in next few hours. VT has a state of emergency, my parents are up there said they have already seen 4-5 inchs in past few days and looking at potential of 6-12 inches of rain next 24 hrs! Killington had a huge mudslide into Rt. 4 making it impassable.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 20519
Reputation : 108
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 42
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:13 pm

Wow so aweful about highland falls, completely inaccessible (except by air) emergency responders are having difficulty, one woman drowned, they have had 12+ inches and still raining, the gov says they do not know the full extent but by pictures from trapped residents it looks like most property could be near complete loss.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 20519
Reputation : 108
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 42
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by frank 638 Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:27 pm

Just got a alert on my phone of flash flood warning until 11 pm

frank 638
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 2831
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2016-01-01
Age : 40
Location : bronx ny

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by Dunnzoo Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:28 pm

jmanley32 wrote:Wow so aweful about highland falls, completely inaccessible (except by air) emergency responders are having difficulty, one woman drowned, they have had 12+ inches and still raining, the gov says they do not know the full extent but by pictures from trapped residents it looks like most property could be near complete loss.

A lot of devastation up there. Also West Point got hit hard, water up to car roofs.

https://twitter.com/DanielleV1967/status/1678213777810964482?s=20

https://twitter.com/ChaacTlaloc/status/1678213428341506048?s=20

https://twitter.com/TomVierhile/status/1678212970189406212?s=20

_________________
Janet

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Posts : 4892
Reputation : 68
Join date : 2013-01-11
Age : 62
Location : Westwood, NJ

weatherwatchermom likes this post

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by Dunnzoo Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:39 pm

.ORANGE COUNTY...
US MILITARY ACADEMY 7.71 IN 0755 PM 07/09 RAWS
MONTGOMERY 5.13 IN 0835 PM 07/09 CWOP
MONTGOMERY AIRPORT 3.77 IN 0754 PM 07/09 AWOS
MIDDLETOWN 3.57 IN 0831 PM 07/09 CWOP
2.6 NW TUXEDO PARK 3.40 IN 0745 PM 07/09 HADS
HARRIMAN 3.03 IN 0839 PM 07/09 AWS
WALDEN 2.84 IN 0837 PM 07/09 CWOP
CHESTER 2.74 IN 0835 PM 07/09 AWS
WASHINGTONVILLE 2.02 IN 0840 PM 07/09 CWOP

_________________
Janet

Snowfall winter of 2023-2024  17.5"    

Snowfall winter of 2022-2023       6.0"
Snowfall winter of 2021-2022     17.6"    1" sleet 2/25/22
Snowfall winter of 2020-2021     51.1"
Snowfall winter of 2019-2020       8.5"
Snowfall winter of 2018-2019     25.1"
Snowfall winter of 2017-2018     51.9"
Snowfall winter of 2016-2017     45.6"
Snowfall winter of 2015-2016     29.5"
Snowfall winter of 2014-2015     50.55"
Snowfall winter of 2013-2014     66.5"
Dunnzoo
Dunnzoo
Senior Enthusiast - Mod
Senior Enthusiast - Mod

Posts : 4892
Reputation : 68
Join date : 2013-01-11
Age : 62
Location : Westwood, NJ

weatherwatchermom likes this post

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by jmanley32 Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:40 pm

frank 638 wrote:Just got a alert on my phone of flash flood warning until 11 pm
I see it online but oddly my phone did not go off. Guess t-mobile isn't sending emergency alerts? It doesn't seem to be raining that hard.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Posts : 20519
Reputation : 108
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 42
Location : Yonkers, NY

Back to top Go down

July 2023 Observations and Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum