NJ Strong Weather Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NJ Strong Weather Forum
NJ Strong Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Long Range Thread 4.0

+29
Snow88
carvin1079
Artechmetals
Vinnydula
Isotherm
Radz
Quietace
CPcantmeasuresnow
1190ftalt
HectorO
devsman
aiannone
NjWeatherGuy
Analog96
nutleyblizzard
Math23x7
dsix85
Sunflowers138
skinsfan1177
amugs
mako460
rb924119
SoulSingMG
Dunnzoo
sroc4
algae888
jmanley32
docstox12
Frank_Wx
33 posters

Page 25 of 42 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 33 ... 42  Next

Go down

Official Long Range Thread 4.0 - Page 25 Empty Re: Official Long Range Thread 4.0

Post by Frank_Wx Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:56 pm

algae888 wrote:frank read parts of the article and wanted to know what has become of that polar low? it is 16 days since article was written.. do you have any idea?

It is there, but the models boot it out by next week. There will probably be a lull in the SSW progression then it will resume again.

Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

http://njstrongweather.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Official Long Range Thread 4.0 - Page 25 Empty Re: Official Long Range Thread 4.0

Post by sroc4 Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:14 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:Here you go Doc

http://www.vwkweb.nl/index.php?page=537&sl=1

Thanks Frank. I'll have to read it after football. Go Giants! go Pack!

sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:13 pm

This from Larry Cosgrove:

About to become a typhoon...and taking aim (first) at the Philippines before recurving into the sub-Aleutian Low....

Watch this system!
[img]Official Long Range Thread 4.0 - Page 25 95w10[/img]

WINTER 2014/2015 TOTALS 71.20"WINTER 2019/2020 TOTALS 6.35"
WINTER 2015/2016 TOTALS 35.00"WINTER 2020/2021 TOTALS 37.75"
WINTER 2016/2017 TOTALS 42.25"WINTER 2021/2022 TOTALS 31.65" 
sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:57 pm

Dang sroc thats a long trip, this is going to help us get more snow and cold?
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:05 pm

HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!

Last winter/early spring my area missed out on 4 consecutive snowstorms. Now this year, (I know it still Nov.) we've missed out on the first two chances and then this upcoming week looks like we'll miss 2 more!!

Every where I read on this forum everyone's amped for alot of snow potential this winter. SO AM I. But these near misses amounting to 6 IN A ROW NOW FOR ME ON LI are getting to me. I'm seriously starting to have a doubt deep down in my gut about whats in store.

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:04 pm

Here is the projection - if it can recurve and hang up in the Aleutians then the EPO tanks negative and we get that to help us along with a spike in the PNA.

Official Long Range Thread 4.0 - Page 25 Post-692-0-02162500-1417401101

@SYO don't fret - I'd rather near misses now than in Jan or Feb and to be honest you on the island have a slim chance for snow in November due to that big bath tub you are sitting in called the Atlantic this time of year. CP, SNOW and DOC usually get it cause they are 50 miles NW of the city - the October and November storms are rarities for such storms bringing snows (accumulating types) in the city and east.

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs
Advanced Forecaster - Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by docstox12 Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:30 am

Doc and Mugsy, nice work on this Pacific disturbance that could influence the tellies to help us.Very interesting study!
docstox12
docstox12
Wx Statistician Guru
Wx Statistician Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:49 am

amugs wrote:Here is the projection - if it can recurve and hang up in the Aleutians then the EPO tanks negative and we get that to help us along with a spike in the PNA.

@SYO don't fret - I'd rather near misses now than in Jan or Feb and to be honest you on the island have a slim chance for snow in November due to that big bath tub you are sitting in called the Atlantic this time of year. CP, SNOW and DOC usually get it cause they are 50 miles NW of the city - the October and November storms are rarities for such storms bringing snows (accumulating types) in the city and east.

Hey amugs

I know the ocean is what keeps us from getting early snows. Just look back at the big pre-Thanksgiving nor-easter. I was saying for 3 days leading up to it that I didn't believe all the hype leading up to it. I was hoping to be wrong but knew it wouldn't happen here.

It's just that I'm a big believer in patterns and MY GUT. The fact that after this week we here on LI will have missed the last 8 snow events leads me and my gut to believe that this year after all the build-up has the looks and feel of a major let-down. And yes I know it's still real early. I'm frustrated

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:54 am

syosnow94 wrote:
amugs wrote:Here is the projection - if it can recurve and hang up in the Aleutians then the EPO tanks negative and we get that to help us along with a spike in the PNA.

Hey amugs

I know the ocean is what keeps us from getting early snows.  Just look back at the big pre-Thanksgiving nor-easter.  I was saying for 3 days leading up to it that I didn't believe all the hype leading up to it.  I was hoping to be wrong but knew it wouldn't happen here.  

It's just that I'm a big believer in patterns and MY GUT.  The fact that after this week we here on LI will have missed the last 8 snow events leads me and my gut to believe that this year after all the build-up has the looks and feel of a major let-down.  And yes I know it's still real early.  I'm frustrated

Syo my LI brother.  If you believe in patterns then you need not Fret.  In a time period and an upper level pattern less than ideal we have already had over achieving systems, just not your back yard.   So the pattern so far is one with overachieving systems that in the long and medium ranges have not looked all that impressive on the models yet overachieve with strength and precip.  I prescribe to the philosophy of positive thinking, not debbie downerism.  In most winters you and I are almost never getting worked up about near misses in November, so why start now?    

With regards to last year to this year you are trying to compare apples to oranges. There were specific reasons why we missed so often during the second half of last years winter season.  Specifically a strong -EPO and a southward displaced polar vortex that suppressed all our systems south and east.  However; we had completely different sea surface temperature anomalies in the atlantic that promoted zero blocking, vs this year which is almost text book for the development for a -NAO blocking pattern.  In addition this year we have a weak to mod west based El Nino which typically promotes cold and stormy on the east coast compared to last year we had La Nada.  But let us not forget....last season was anything but a bust.  Look at my signature at the bottom of these comments and you will see that we had well above avg snowfall last year(64.85"), it just happened to be front loaded.  Thems the breaks sometime.  

There is no doubt that will all of the forecasts out there calling for cold and stormy in the NE its easy to get overexcited, which in turn could lead to that the dreaded "let down" or "not living up to expectations".  Tell your gut to chill and remember a few key points.
1) Its only November.  Dont get worried until Mid Jan
2) The state of the El Nino, the SST in both the Pac and the Atlantic are in our favor
3) the El Nino status is in our favor
4) the stratosphere is currently in our favor as well
5) There is a typhoon that is forecasted to recurve in the next 5-7 days and will help to set up the 500mb pattern after the 15th-20th or so.
6) prescribe to the power of positive thinking, not Debbie Downerism
7) If you accept that things may not work out exactly how you want in your back yard you wont be as let down as bad.  (Easier said than done I know trust me)

sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:06 am

sroc4 wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:

Hey amugs

I know the ocean is what keeps us from getting early snows.  Just look back at the big pre-Thanksgiving nor-easter.  I was saying for 3 days leading up to it that I didn't believe all the hype leading up to it.  I was hoping to be wrong but knew it wouldn't happen here.  

It's just that I'm a big believer in patterns and MY GUT.  The fact that after this week we here on LI will have missed the last 8 snow events leads me and my gut to believe that this year after all the build-up has the looks and feel of a major let-down.  And yes I know it's still real early.  I'm frustrated

Syo my LI brother.  If you believe in patterns then you need not Fret.  In a time period and an upper level pattern less than ideal we have already had over achieving systems, just not your back yard.   So the pattern so far is one with overachieving systems that in the long and medium ranges have not looked all that impressive on the models yet overachieve with strength and precip.  I prescribe to the philosophy of positive thinking, not debbie downerism.  In most winters you and I are almost never getting worked up about near misses in November, so why start now?    

With regards to last year to this year you are trying to compare apples to oranges. There were specific reasons why we missed so often during the second half of last years winter season.  Specifically a strong -EPO and a southward displaced polar vortex that suppressed all our systems south and east.  However; we had completely different sea surface temperature anomalies in the atlantic that promoted zero blocking, vs this year which is almost text book for the development for a -NAO blocking pattern.  In addition this year we have a weak to mod west based El Nino which typically promotes cold and stormy on the east coast compared to last year we had La Nada.  But let us not forget....last season was anything but a bust.  Look at my signature at the bottom of these comments and you will see that we had well above avg snowfall last year(64.85"), it just happened to be front loaded.  Thems the breaks sometime.  

There is no doubt that will all of the forecasts out there calling for cold and stormy in the NE its easy to get overexcited, which in turn could lead to that the dreaded "let down" or "not living up to expectations".  Tell your gut to chill and remember a few key points.
2) The state of the El Nino, the SST in both the Pac and the Atlantic are in our favor
5) There is a typhoon that is forecasted to recurve in the next 5-7 days and will help to set up the 500mb pattern after the 15th-20th or so.
7) If you accept that things may not work out exactly how you want in your back yard you wont be as let down as bad.  (Easier said than done I know trust me)

A+ post doc. Agree. It is Dec. 1st and pattern changes do not show up on models until 4-5 days before (maybe 6-7 days on ensembles). Start looking at the models around December 10th-12th. You will be pleasantly surprised.

CLICK HERE to view NJ Strong Snowstorm Classifications
Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by sroc4 Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:12 am

Ha...lol yes it is Dec. Number 1 above should read up until today it was November

sroc4
sroc4
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Snow88 Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:15 am

There are some bad signs moving forward into December but I don't think anyone should give up on winter like a lot of people are doing right now. The AO and NAO look to stay positive for a while while the PNA looks to also stay positive. In order for the east to see cold air, AO or NAO needs to be negative. The EPO is also positive which is bad for the east. The MJO isn't in a favorable state for the east. You want it in phases 7-8-1. Those are cold phases for the east and usually stormy phases.Not a good pattern right now if you want to see winter weather in the east. Hopefully it changes soon. El Nino winters are usually backloaded so maybe we can start to get into a favorable pattern come late December.

MJO forecasts

Euro
Official Long Range Thread 4.0 - Page 25 2nhew07

JMA
Official Long Range Thread 4.0 - Page 25 4uart1

GEFS
Official Long Range Thread 4.0 - Page 25 2evdxd4

Ukmet
Official Long Range Thread 4.0 - Page 25 Rayhsi
Snow88
Snow88
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:47 am

sroc4 wrote:
syosnow94 wrote:

Hey amugs

sroc4

You Da Man. I realize my posts can be irrational but that's why I have you guys to listen to. I'm just venting a little. I appreciate the positivity though and yes I'm still hopefull. I just spent a few days at my parents in Ulster County in 10 inches of snow with the kids and it only served to excite me about snow prospects even more. Especially after driving back through a snow covered landscape only to get neat Tarrytown on the Sprain and have all the snow disappear from the ground and traffic build!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:57 am

Any Snow potential for this upcoming weekend. NWS long range shows a possible coastal around Sat.??

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:26 pm

Just noticed this...EURO and other models not showing the typhoon recurve. Just crash into the Philippines and eventually dissipate

Official Long Range Thread 4.0 - Page 25 Ecm_z500_anom_cpac_7

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:27 pm

syosnow94 wrote:Any Snow potential for this upcoming weekend.  NWS long range shows a possible coastal around Sat.??

Nope

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:44 pm

Official Long Range Thread 4.0 - Page 25 10447878_844130452305382_2212813521271569861_n

Here is the POS trough/PV that is currently sitting over NW Asia and disrupting the progression of the current SSW taking place. It is forecasted to split in roughly 1 week and positive heights can finally build back into that area, but the PV redevelops over Greenland and it is simply NOT a good look. Luckily, it is early and there should be recovery by the end of this month (hopefully).

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Snow88 Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:49 pm

I hate waiting Sad
Snow88
Snow88
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:50 pm

Snow88 wrote:I hate waiting Sad

It is unfortunate that trough just happened to be there as this SSW event was taking place. We could have jump started winter probably a lot quicker, but it is what it is. Better now then January.

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by amugs Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:07 pm

Scott - perfectly stated. People are ready to jump off the bridge when they see 50's in teh forecast and no snow or cold in the 5 day or a roller coaster - we must have patience and faith in the pattern as you outlined so perfectly is there - I also read that some el nino's are not front loaded but mid to end loaded.

This should make people happy seeing this

Official Long Range Thread 4.0 - Page 25 Temp10anim

WINTER 2014-15 : 55.12" +.02 for 6 coatings (avg. 35")
WINTER 2015-16 Total - 29.8" (Avg 35")
WINTER 2016-17 : 39.5" so far
amugs
amugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:09 pm

Frank_Wx wrote:Official Long Range Thread 4.0 - Page 25 10447878_844130452305382_2212813521271569861_n

Here is the POS trough/PV that is currently sitting over NW Asia and disrupting the progression of the current SSW taking place. It is forecasted to split in roughly 1 week and positive heights can finally build back into that area, but the PV redevelops over Greenland and it is simply NOT a good look. Luckily, it is early and there should be recovery by the end of this month (hopefully).

OK Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by algae888 Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:01 pm

scott great post. we usually do not see our first wide spread snow until late dec on average and many of us already have our first accumulations. with a few chances this week to see some more (at least n/w). snow88 I do not trust tele indexes more than 7 days out. always flip flopping. my concern is the nao. if it were neg now we would be talking about 2 accum snowfalls for area this week. hoping to see it go neg before the end of this month.
algae888
algae888
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:38 pm

Hey Al, yeah doesn't even look all that promising inland, I am trying to take this in heed that its only beginning of December but the current trends have not been good for us and from wehat I have read about a page back things are not setting up good as it looks right now. Of course this can all change in a heartbeat. 70 today just doesn't feel right at all, I'm sorry.

Frank FYI, the Euro does kinda show a coastal like system but it appears to come onshore from the east to west, bringing a lot of snow well inland about a few inches of rain for the coast.
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Wx Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:43 pm

No one look at the models for this week and next  week. Very ugly for winter wx.  At least I can use this time to focus on school, haha

Frank_Wx
Frank_Wx
Godzilla Seeker
Godzilla Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:44 pm

Jeeze. talk about a rain storm around the 6-9th day (looks to be long duration so flooding probably will not be a issue). It will change each run (euro shows about 2-3 inches) but MAN if we just had the cold, even Wxbell snow map picks up on that it will be rain.

Official Long Range Thread 4.0 - Page 25 Cmc_to10
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmanley32 Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:45 pm

Opps sorry Frank lol, it is ugly I retract my post lol

Good Idea Frank me too, finals due 17th
jmanley32
jmanley32
Senior Enthusiast
Senior Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by NjWeatherGuy Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:32 pm

jmanley32 wrote:Jeeze. talk about a rain storm around the 6-9th day (looks to be long duration so flooding probably will not be a issue).  It will change each run (euro shows about 2-3 inches) but MAN if we just had the cold, even Wxbell snow map picks up on that it will be rain.

Official Long Range Thread 4.0 - Page 25 Cmc_to106

6" of rain? Yikes
NjWeatherGuy
NjWeatherGuy
Advanced Forecaster
Advanced Forecaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 42 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 33 ... 42  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum